Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm just about to start writing my first feature film that I will direct when I finish my travels (and raise the funds, but let's worry about that later).

I've read over this thread, and there's so great advice. I don't have a screenplay to post, but is it OK if I post my general film idea here for critiquing and what not?

Also are there any good apps for movie planning (like the Save The Cat board) for Android that people use?

gredgie posted:

Jon Spaihts linked to this infographic of 300 scripts via Twitter, it's rather intriguing: http://imgur.com/T22gGBO

This is incredibly helpful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm interested too! Might help me out with my current film script!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Are there any good script writing or movie making podcasts out there?

Can I pitch the movie I'm currently writing to someone over PM or email if anyone's interested? Looking for some feedback!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Coming up with movie titles that haven't been used and aren't cliche and poo poo is ridiculously hard. Especially when your movie is set in space. Anything with "star" or "galaxy" in it sounds lame. Sorry, I just enjoy complaining.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Here's something I can't find the answer to:

A scene within a scene, specifically a character watching a news report, then we go into the news report which shows a quick selection of characters and places. How to format this?

So far I've started as

NEWSCASTER (V.O.)
Blahblahblah

... and then I'll just use scene headings for where the news report takes place before resuming the scene. Is that right? Do I have to make it clear in the action that we're following the news report or will the constant voiceover be enough?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

hotsoupdinner posted:

On one hand this sounds decent, but on the other hand it sounds like it could get confusing without an example of what it would look like.

I think what it boils down to is how important what is going on in the newscast is. Is what we are seeing exposition, or is it actual character information being relayed?

If it's just exposition I would probably do something like this to avoid breaking up the flow with a ton of sluglines:

On the screen we see images and clips of people in location A doing X, Y, and Z.

If we're cutting to actual characters doing important things that affect the story directly, sluglines might be the way to go. I would still be careful of the flow while reading it.

Agreed! It's a news report that will introduce some important characters and information, so sluglines I guess. I'll have a play and see how awful it looks!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Baby Babbeh posted:

So, here's a simple question with a no-doubt complicated answer: how do you write a screenplay? Like, what does your actual process look like from start to finish? I'm trying to build a daily writing habit by writing for a few hours in the evening but I feel like I don't know what to do to use those hours productively.

Man, everyone is different. If you read about any of your favourite directors or writers, you'll see their working habits are all insanely different. For me, I like to vaguely plan the whole movie out first on a board like Blake Snyder (Save the Cat) suggests. Then I slowly slowly slowly write the script in Celtx. Do whatever works for you, as long as you're writing (but a plan helps!).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Rise from your grave!

Let's talk formatting. I'm writing a sci-fi film, and as expected there are spaceships in it. So here are a few questions:

1) When writing the ship's name down in the scene heading, would you use speech marks? Here is a typical example from my script:

INT. SPACESHIP "BRUCE"

Then either italicize or underline the ship's name in dialogue or action, correct?

2) Should I name every ship? For example, there's a small evil ship, but man I don't want to give it a name, so for now it's called "Angry Croissant Ship", because that what it looks like (though it's not important really). Should I just describe it as an angry croissant, give it a lame name then move on?

3) When I move back and forth between locations on the same ship, I write it like this:

INT. SPACESHIP "BRUCE"/LOUNGE
Blah blah blah

INT. SPACESHIP "BRUCE"/CORRIDOR
Blah blah blah

I think that's the most specific and least confusing, looks a bit unwieldy though. What do you think?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

How do the scripts you like do it? Star Wars, Trek, and Independence Day all have differing standards; use what you like.

Don't use loglines to be cute. Action lines are fine but don't give me INTERIOR: THE FLYING PIE - KITCHEN.

OK cool, so what should I give you?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was just reading on Screencraft that now you should have a TV show script in the bank as well as a movie because a lot of agents won't touch you unless you can prove you can do TV. TV/Netiflix is the bees' balls right now, but do you agree? Guess I'd better think of a poo poo hot TV prospect... *procrastinates, crying wank until unconscious*

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've been writing a ridiculous TV show thanks to the advice here. I have a formatting question. I've written:

They enter

INT. CAPTAIN'S OFFICE - DAY

The captain's office belongs to...

I just want a smoother way of them entering the office, instead of writing something like "They open the door and walk in." But do I need something after "they enter"? Like "they enter..." OR "they enter --" etc.? I guess it's a stylistic choice?

Also, I've been using the free Writerduet and it's pretty wonderful. I used to use CELTX but they discontinued the program and it has a fair few bugs. Writerduet has a lot of useful features, so it's worth a try!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well the two cops are having a conversation, then they stroll into the captain's office where the captain starts berating them (of course). It's a TV pilot so it has to read as quick as possible! It's a comedy.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the advice.

That example was pretty funny too!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is this an acceptable way to write a flashback? It's the same comedy TV show.

BEGIN FLASHBACK

INT. BASEMENT LAB - DAY

TERRY (V.O.)
A few days ago I was having a tea and thinking about running some blood samples on that murder case. That's when I noticed that strange button, the one that says "DO NOT PRESS. EVER".

BURGER (V.O.)
Well, what did you?

TERRY (V.O.)
I pressed it. Nothing happened. So I thought "bugger this", ripped out the wiring and followed it.

INT. POLICE HQ - DAY

TERRY (V.O.)
I followed it all around the building. It went everywhere. Like it was put in by gypsies.

PAUSE IN FLASHBACK

INT. BASEMENT LAB - DAY

CHIPS
That could be considered racist.

TERRY
It could? Sorry, I've been trying really hard recently.
He pulls out a notebook, and under the heading "THINGS THAT ARE RACIST?" adds "GYPSIES" to a long list of blunders.

CHIPS
I know, and Abdul in IT really appreciates it.

BACK TO FLASHBACK

INT. BASEMENT LAB - DAY

TERRY (V.O.)
So like I was saying, I followed the wires and it lead right back to where I started, only to the floor.

So I cleared up the pile of newspapers and dirty magazines and that's when I discovered... it.

END OF FLASHBACK

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

RISE FROM YO GWAVE

I have a question apart starting a short film with titles. You know, white text on black. Would this be OK?

FADE IN:

TITLES

Blah

Blah blah blah

Blah

END TITLES

EXT.

So I need to denote that they are three separate titles? Should I use SUPER instead of TITLES?

EDIT: Also, should I write my titles in CAPS?

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 12, 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sober posted:

Remember, formatting doesn't have to be so strict as long as it's readable.

Personally I would do:

code:
ON BLACK, FADE/SNAP IN TITLE:

[short film title, maybe just say it's white if it's what you want]

[your dialogue. presumably with some punchline or some meaning]

FADE IN/SNAP IN
[and leave any extra instructions like holding the title past black if you plan to do a Mr. Robot-esque title drop]

EXT/INT WHATEVER
SUPER/CHYRON I've seen interchangeably. Someone can correct me if they technically mean something different though.

Titles in screenplay format I suggest just throwing into all CAPS. Putting something in all caps usually draws attention to it be it a particular object, action, etc. Just don't overuse it unless you mean it.

It's not the film title, it's three cards that introduce the short film. One sentence each. Then we start the movie.

So you'd do

ON BLACK, FADE IN:

TITLE ONE

TITLE TWO

TITLE THREE

FADE IN

Although it's accepted to always start your screenplay with FADE IN right? Even on titles even if it's maybe not entirely correct.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That looks absolutely perfect to me, just what I wanted. Thanks! Still getting a handle on this whole readability vs accepted formatting thing. Screenwriting is so hard in the sense that there are all those rules that you SHOULD follow, but you don't have to if YOU think it works, but that doesn't mean the important person reading your script will agree with you and won't dump it instantly if you stray too far from accepted industry standards.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Max22 posted:

Are you worried we're going to steal your rad logline? You should present the titles in whatever way makes them most effective and interesting. That's hard to judge when you redact all specific information from your questions.

No, I'm not worried, I just haven't written them yet but knew that I wanted to start with three titles over black. I didn't think it mattered WHAT the titles said, the formatting would remain the same (I thought!).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

WISE FROM YO GWAVE

I have a formatting question! I'm trying to gracefully transition to 10 years later (where we'll meet the same character grown up) without using titles. In my head you tilt up to the clouds, hear the ticking of a scoreboard counting down then come back down to see said scoreboard. But how to convey that? This is what I got so far:

Finn looks at the robot. Its compartment, with the "F+S" in her handwriting, sways closed with the wailing wind. He looks up at the gray clouds.

FADE TO

EXT. SCHOOL YARD - DAY
A digital clock on a rickety scoreboard reads 00:12 and ticks down. A huge jock in sport armor sprints with a football.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's an idea, but I was hoping to convey the idea of time passing when you see the character again in a few lines.

How about:

Finn looks at the robot. Its compartment, with the "F+S" in her handwriting, sways closed with the wailing wind. He looks up at the

FADE TO

EXT. SCHOOL YARD - DAY
gray clouds.

A digital clock on a rickety scoreboard reads 00:12 and ticks down. A huge jock in sport armor sprints with a football.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ah, that's a good idea, but this is the first time you see the scoreboard (it's a new location).

Another question: the first several pages have the two characters as kids, then there's a time jump and they're teens. I've just called them the same names throughout.

When we see them as teens I explicitly say

"Sophie removes her helmet and slams it down. Now 18, she's tall and lean, with her matted pink hair in a bob."

You know it's the same character, but should I label YOUNG SOPHIE then switch to SOPHIE? It seems like you wouldn't be confused cos you don't see them as kids again and adding the YOUNG part makes it obvious a time jump is coming up, which kinda ruins the reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm pretty sure you should list them all separately so that production knows what locations they need. Like if you say apartment then do they need to shoot in the whole apartment or just a kitchen? It's good to know. You'd have to do

INT. STALIN'S APARTMENT/KITCHEN - DAY

etc

• Locked thread