Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

the Bunt posted:

I know it's probably a cardinal sin professionally speaking , but I hate using BEAT for silences and especially pauses in dialogue.

A playwriting teacher once told me it was coined by a French director who was actually saying "Pause for a BIT here" or something but people heard it as beat and used it henceforth. That's why I just write "Pause."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I recently started an internship reading scripts at an LA production company (I'd rather not say which) and I just wanted to mention that today I read a script written from a second person perspective. So the action descriptions would be like "You walk over to the sink and splash water on your face, then gaze at yourself in the mirror." It was a confusing read, and seemed to imply that it was intended to be shot entirely POV, which seems like it would suck. I've also heard there's a script out there written from first person perspective, I think called "Passengers"?

I guess my question is, has any so-written script ever been produced? Or is it just a writer masturbatorily pushing the textual limits in a form whose textual limits are totally irrelevant?

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

That's not my question. I'm asking which is the correct option/element, if there even is one, when writing the one line of text starting and ending each act in a teleplay, such as "END OF ACT I"

I would use the Transition element for END OF ACT I and Scene Heading for ACT II, etc.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Best of all worlds?

When a quiet bookworm gets the
chance to tutor his cheerleader crush, he must endure the wrath of her psychotic jock ex.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I read scripts for a production company, mostly material submitted by agents and managers. When I see a specific song title I don't recognize, I don't discredit the writer, but I definitely don't stop to look it up. I basically try to assume what it should sound like from the context, or just ignore it completely. More often than not, it's the latter. And that holds true for songs I DO recognize - I don't put them on, and I don't try to 'hear' the song as I'm reading. Basically I say "cool, you like a song, and there's a music cue here" and move on to understanding the story. I read one today written by a director, with tons of named songs in it. Presumably there are some lyrics that "fit the theme" or whatever the gently caress, but it amounts to saying the same thing as "rock music as we transition to..."

Granted, I'm not ONLY a script reader. I read 0-2 scripts per day and I don't have to write a lot of coverage. A professional reader at a studio or whatever, who has a million scripts to get through, MIGHT trash you for specifying songs, or specifying certain expensive songs.

Bottom line in my opinion: it's not worth an extra line on the page.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lethemonster posted:

I'm trying to work on my logline for a piece. So far I have;

'A young woman must pull herself through PTSD to investigate the disappearance of the policeman who failed her,'
'A young woman must push through her PTSD to investigate the disappearance of the policeman who failed her,'

or maybe;

'A young woman must face her recent trauma to investigate the policeman who failed her, and determine if he is a murderer, or a victim'.

Clunk clunk clunk. I'm awful at these. I'm going for a character driven thriller.

'Unwilling to forgive him and unable to forget what he caused, a young woman is dragged into investigating the disappearance of a disgraced policeman, hoping it is her chance to gain peace'.

Edit: 'A young woman beats her head against her keyboard trying to create a logline that is concise but not crap. Half the keys destroyed by her forehead, how will she finish?'

I always try to fit a logline into this airtight format to make sure it works before I start jazzing it up and making it original: "When [inciting incident happens], a [protagonist descriptors] must [action of the script], or else [stakes]."

For you, it sounds like it would be something like "When a disgraced policeman disappears, a young woman must face her past traumas to track him down, or else she may never know the truth about what happened to her." I'm sort of guessing on the stakes since your other loglines don't have it... But they should!

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lethemonster posted:

Is it worth continuing to read for the extra perspective on writing or should I move onto better books?

It's a short book, you might as well finish it, since you're already in it. It might not help the actual quality of your writing at all, but the beat-sheet structure is well-understood by every development person in Hollywood, whether they think it's good or bad. If you're trying to write marketable material to sell to a studio or even an independent company, it can't hurt to understand the frame in which your potential buyers will view it.

For the record, I loved Blank Check as a kid. Sumo suits are at the top of my Get Rich, Buy This list.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

York_M_Chan posted:

Also, I am looking for structural advice on short 15-20 minute films. Short films always seem so kitchy or almost like a joke: quick set-up, punchline. My work is more character based, which lends itself to longer pieces. Anyone have any advice or even great short films to point me towards that exemplify character based short works?

I'd say your assessment is true for short films of 5 minutes or less, but then again those are sketches, and they're supposed to feel that way. I find that shorts in the 15-20 minute range are most often either very character-focused or mood/stylistic pieces, in both cases with a plot that's either non-existent or largely irrelevant. If you want to write a 20 minute character-based short that you can actually make, it's probably going to be a mix of talking scenes and visual metaphor. Just don't be boring.

It's not the best but it's at the top of mind, and sometimes a failure is better illustration than a success, so I'll reference it here: Joe Lynch's "Truth In Journalism" which is on YouTube. It clocks in at around 17 minutes (too long IMO) and there's barely any plot to speak of - it's literally about a film crew following around Eddie Brock, trying to get inside his head. Then at the end, he turns into Venom and kills them all. That might be an example of the sort of "punchline" moment you're pushing back against, but having a punchy memorable moment doesn't detract from your character study at all (unless it doesn't follow). Besides, you gotta end the fucker somehow!

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mordiceius posted:

Odd question that I'm not sure if anyone knows - What are the laws regarding remakes/adaptations of foreign films?

In short, the same as English-language IPs. You have to buy the rights in order to sell a remake.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
INTERCUT: INT. KITCHEN - NIGHT / EXT. DREAM GARDEN - DAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Under those circumstances you might want to just use a new scene heading for each cutaway. It would also make sense to write the taco guy's character line as TACO MAN B but I could see that getting confusing without separate scene headings.

• Locked thread