Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

screenwritersblues posted:

Hey screenwriting goons,

I'm currently looking to update the OP of this thread. I know a lot of you are involved in the writing industry or have written scripts before, so I am looking for your insight.

If anyone knows any good websites that show formatting, places to read scripts, any good books on the subject, or wants to share their insight, feel free to email me or post them here.

Anything will help make this thread better than it is.

There are lots of good articles here: http://www.scriptmag.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Griff M. posted:

I wrote this :)

It's my first Screen Credit! Also, features College Humor's Amir Blumenfeld.

I'm awfully proud of myself :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tVzCGrzFS0

This is brilliant. Well done. :)

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

jimcunningham posted:

Anyone have experience with Amazon Storyteller? Also, is anyone interested in tag teaming something? I really want to collaborate. I'm not any good, but I might bring something to the table.

I'd be interested in something like this.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Alan_Shore posted:

Can I pitch the movie I'm currently writing to someone over PM or email if anyone's interested? Looking for some feedback!

Send me a PM.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Haymaker_Betty posted:

Okay so I'm not sure where else to post this, but I have a quandary.

Background: My mother's best friend is married to a high-powered Man of Business. Due to the necessity of expanding his company's image/portfolio/some business terms I don't totally comprehend, he's in the position to pitch a script to some investors in the hopes that they will invest ~20,000,000 in making a film.

My mother's friend thought of me. I've been writing since I could talk--constantly telling stories--and I write every single day, without fail, for at least two hours. I'm young and fresh out of college. She calls and asks me to write a pitch, synopsis and screenplay, basically as soon as I can, like within a few months, I guess. Maybe less.

Now, I am physically, mentally, and [I hope] creatively capable of doing this, but I'm really, REALLY reticent to put a lot of time, effort, and energy into a project that will languish in her husband's office as a glorified cat rear end warmer. I trust my mother's friend not to screw me out of time and energy ON PURPOSE, but she might by accident because she got too excited. Now, she's a good business woman herself, making 6 figures a year at basically being the legal equivalent of a pusherman, but I'm still really nervous.

So what I'm asking is: am I being an idiot? Do things like this actually happen? Does anyone else think this could be A Thing? Also, is there some, like, guild law against totally unknown people writing scripts/screenplays? I'm just really nervous and flighty right now because this is a lot of loving work she's asking of me, and I'm not sure she realizes just how much.

Any help, advice, or criticism would be monumentally welcome.

This doesn't make sense from a business perspective. Why does he want someone to invest $20m is a movie that hasn't even been written yet? What purpose does it serve? The only logical explanation is that he is an accountant and wants his client to invest the money as a tax write- off. If that is not the explanation I would be suspicious.

What sort of film does he want? Has he even told you? If not, why not?

Never write anything for anyone you are not being paid to write. He could easily go to an agency and option a very good screenplay for a couple of grand up front. Why isn't he doing this?

Also, which country are you in?

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Haymaker_Betty posted:

I'm trying to. Turns out they were going to pay me $1000 for labor, and then I'd get money if the movie was made into something.

The Screenwriters Guild minimum payment for a screenplay in the US is just under $70,000.

That's before it even gets made.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

mechacop posted:

If anyone is interested, I have a short film screenplay written a year ago. It's about a guy throwing a costume party at his friend's place that gets out of hand. It deals with the themes of loss and fitting back into the social scene after a traumatic event. Things that I was struggling with at the time. Keep in mind, it could use a second or third rewrite since it's over a year old. I'd appreciate some feedback.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rd8mt0

What exactly is the point of this short? It doesn't have a powerful ending and I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say.

The script quite well written but I have some issues: You tend to use over descriptive language in your directions like - "A young man, surely not a day over 20, hunches over his computer in a way that his spine must detest him for." when "Paul (20) hunches over his computer" would be better. There is also an instance where you use an offensive term in your directions ("he looks like a tranny"). It's okay to use offensive words in your dialogue but not in your directions - especially when it's a superfluous description. The character is wearing a dress and ladies wig.

Also, the dialogue about Paul's genitals rubbing up against his sisters dress (which he is wearing) is disturbing and not something anyone would ever say in real life. It's unbelievable and a little weird.

To summarise I'd say that your script is technically competent but descriptively verbose. The story appears to have no real point to it and Paul's comments about the dress need to be cut.

Twisted Perspective fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 13, 2014

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Golden Bee posted:

Unless you're Pinter, you can't overuse [BEAT].

[A PAUSE].

[He sighs.]
Or even a line break in dialogue.

(BEAT) is correct, but it certainly can be over used. Don't try to direct the actors. Delivery should be guided by the emotional tone of the dialogue.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...
I submitted a screenplay last year but I don't realy see much point in the Writer's Room these days. The most you're going to get out of it is a couple of writing classes and as I already use a realy good script consultant I'm not sure they would be a lot of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Lethemonster posted:

I'm trying to work on my logline for a piece. So far I have;

'A young woman must pull herself through PTSD to investigate the disappearance of the policeman who failed her,'
'A young woman must push through her PTSD to investigate the disappearance of the policeman who failed her,'

or maybe;

'A young woman must face her recent trauma to investigate the policeman who failed her, and determine if he is a murderer, or a victim'.

Clunk clunk clunk. I'm awful at these. I'm going for a character driven thriller.

'Unwilling to forgive him and unable to forget what he caused, a young woman is dragged into investigating the disappearance of a disgraced policeman, hoping it is her chance to gain peace'.

Edit: 'A young woman beats her head against her keyboard trying to create a logline that is concise but not crap. Half the keys destroyed by her forehead, how will she finish?'

Your idea sounds really interesting but I'm always wary when people throw PTSD about as it's a very serious condition and should not be treated lightly. If you are serious about tackling the subject I hope you've researched it first.

As for the log line I think you've pretty much got it as good as it's going to get. How about "A young woman must overcome her trauma to investigate the disappearance of the policeman who failed her." ?

• Locked thread