Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Is it possible to write scripts anywhere and make a living? I live in Asia but would like to try my hand at screenwriting but I don't particularly want to move to the United States, I just wanted to know if it might be feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I mean could I live in Asia and sell scripts to America? Or do you have to be part of a team in the country doing things like rewrites?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

NeuroticErotica posted:

For television you absolutely have to be here.

For features... your agents, producers, managers, directors, etc. are going to want to sit down with you, meet you, have lunch, discuss new directions and whatnot.

A lot of people banter about the whole "with skype and email you can be anywhere and work", but I can think of very few people who live outside of NY/LA in the US who make it work (and most of them secretly have homes here/spend months at a time out here)

Asia? I can't imagine it really working out. It'd be a good time to hide out and write specs if you're eventually planning on coming out to LA/NY, but I couldn't imagine making a consistent living outside the country.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I guess I'll try and develop any ideas I have in novel format then.

• Locked thread