Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm not sure if this has been brought up in the thread (It may be worth adding to the first post) but there's a great article on the writing style of one of my favourite writers - Walter Hill.

I appreciate the English language as much as anyone, but what the article shows is how lean you can make a script while still making it vivid, and making it a good read. As Hill himself states, that style won't work for everything. But for the types of films he makes it works.

http://www.mypdfscripts.com/writers-style-walter-hill/

He isn't verbose as such but that's not the point. It's all about choice of words. It's saying what you need to say in as few words as possible. The upside to that is it keeps everything flowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lethemonster posted:

I'm struggling to go from prose to screenplay. If a few people could look over my script and give advice on what description elements to lose but still keep the atmosphere/perspective etc I would be grateful.

It's a good topic to talk about in general since I switch between script and prose quite frequently and while I found that prose writing bleeds into script writing, weirdly I don't find the opposite to be true.

I think the biggest danger is overwriting everything. The thing I found I was doing was adding too much to a character's description or a frame of mind. I don't feel like the dialogue really alters between the two because they seemed to serve the same function to me.

• Locked thread