Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Could anyone cast an eye over this short film screenplay and give me some tips?

I usually write silly comedy nonsense, this is the first time I've tried to grow up and do things subtly and with some depth.

No preamble or explanation, because I think the biggest problem is getting people to understand the underlying story I'm trying to imply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Thanks, man. I'll work on it - I definitely lengthened the start recently because we weren't getting his character down quick enough, so I'll see if I can speed it up a bit.

York_M_Chan posted:

The dialogue is a little hackneyed

This is totally true, but it makes me smile, because the worst lines are probably the ones I've recalled verbatim from the guy that inspired Sonny!

Edit: Good call on the suggestions! Will probably work more of a "ohshitI'mgoingtogetmugged" reaction in near the start. I don't want to go overboard with it - I want there to be a feel at the start like maybe the guy has some reason to be scared, and break it down slowly as it goes on.

George Kaplan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 10, 2010

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

wafflesnsegways posted:

Yup. In fact, whatever line/scene/moment originally inspired me to write something usually ends up cut the first time I read it through.

I can appreciate that. Some parts of writing this have been tougher than expected. I got some great response from the first draft:

:confused: So what's happening in the end?
:allears: Well, the main character turns out to be racist.
:confused: Did you write this yourself?
:allears: Yes, why? Does he not come off that way?
:confused: No, but you do.
:suicide:

Here it is with a few minor changes. I perhaps ought to be more ruthless, but its getting a good response as-is.

• Locked thread