Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just read on the BBC website that they accept original, unsolicited pieces for your chosen genre. Definitely intrigued in given it a whirl, as I've had ideas floating around my head for some time. The lack of spec script writing is a plus, because I don't care for much British TV and forcing myself to watch episodes of Doctor Who just to write pages of something I don't care for would just put me off even starting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's OK, I was just exaggerating for my own amusement. If I was to write spec, I'd probably use Peep Show mainly as the scripts are easily purchased and it's definitely got a few 'miss' episodes in its bag.

Unfortunately, the majority of UK TV these days just doesn't grab me... I like the odd thing that's on, but we're lacking shows that are comparable to the US cable (whether premium or not) output. I'm not the biggest fan of US Network TV either, a lot of shows are lacking arcs and spreading seasons out over 24 episodes is often detrimental as you get too many filler episodes. The UK works the opposite way, not enough episodes to build up characters or interesting plot lines. To use Peep Show as my example again, it's a show that's taken nearly a decade to tell it's story, which has been fairly basic. It's timeline seems confused because there was a year and a half between them going to the hospital and the baby being born. It's a necessary evil and it won't change, but if you hit a bad episode in a short run of 6 it hurts a lot more than if there's a duff one in a run of 13. Knowing a show like 'Always Sunny' or 'The League' will then be back on 9 months or so also helps.

It's all about money, so it's not going to change. Programs I cannot stand more than a few minutes of like 'Come Dine With Me' are ridiculously cheap compared to commissioning scripted programming, it's an obvious choice which to go for especially when you consider the viewing figures. I'm 30 this year, so growing up British comedy was fantastic and the combination of BBC2/Channel4 put out original programming that they simply don't meet these days. As you can probably tell, I'm mainly into my comedy but there's not much on to make me laugh now. Growing up with Black Adder, Red Dwarf, Mary Whitehouse, Lee and Herring, The Fast Show... all fantastic shows that don't have counterparts in 2011.

Looking at the BARB Top 30s for the mainstream channels, and there's just not that much that interests me. Too many soap operas, reality shows and other lowest common denominator television. There's a few items to my taste being made, but it's few and far between. I enjoyed Grandma's House last year, The Inbetweeners was amusing albeit with it's fair share of duff episodes then the rest of the comedy output is utter dross like Phone Shop. If I can write an original script and the most I get out of it is one person who knows what they're talking about simply saying "It's not as bad as Phone Shop", then I'll be happy.

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense than my throwaway comment about Dr. Who ;)

• Locked thread