Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Totally TWISTED posted:

I remember last year. But I never blamed Eagle I blamed the coach for not having the balls to play Mutch back to back to back to finish the game. Still the skill and strategy displayed this year was phenomenal. I think Mutch last year was the greatest single game for a jammer that I've ever seen, but Scald was mvp no doubt this year.

Mutch's face during the lineup for that last jam....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I would venture a guess that 90% of leagues are terrible if you ask the right people. Ask officials about leagues and they'll give you a list of who they won't work for, ask skaters and they'll tell you who they won't skate against, ask retired skaters and they'll tell you who drove them to leave. Sometimes I think the "by the skaters" part is a detriment because of all these issues that come up.

Also, how big is the Bay Area, because the Boston area has a ton of leagues, but I'm drawing like a two hour radius around the city.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

The bay area is the size of a state over there.

I didn't count the Black Widows before:
Sonoma
Resurrection
Undead
Bay Area
Peninsula
Silicon Valley
Santa Cruz
Monterey
Sacred
Sac City
Black Widows (RCDL)

Also within 2 hours of Hayward, the center point for all the above leagues:
Sintral
High Country
Loco City
Port City (USARS)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think I'm too out of the loop at this point to make an accurate list, but I think there are 3 in southern Maine, 4 in southern NH, 5 in eastern MA, 1 in western MA, 1 in RI, and I have no idea what CT leagues are in what parts of the state.

I'm guessing the Bay Area has a similar crunch for officials that New England gets when you have a weekend with more than two or three layers hosting games.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Mr. Powers posted:

I think I'm too out of the loop at this point to make an accurate list, but I think there are 3 in southern Maine, 4 in southern NH, 5 in eastern MA, 1 in western MA, 1 in RI, and I have no idea what CT leagues are in what parts of the state.

I'm guessing the Bay Area has a similar crunch for officials that New England gets when you have a weekend with more than two or three layers hosting games.

The official crunch is nationwide. Our league decided to move our traditional bout weekend for this upcoming travel season in order to hopefully conflict with less of the smaller surrounding local leagues and encourage more officials to work our bouts.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
La boucherie de Paris lost one of their skaters last night, another was wounded but is apparent safe.

gently caress, man. :(

bokbok
Jan 12, 2006

do you like my hat?
SCRIMMAGE NIGHT :v:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Oh wow, didn't know we had a roller derby thread! My little girl is on the local derby team.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
https://wftda.com/news/2016-international-wftda-playoffs-and-championships-locations-announced

Cool. Vancouver is hosting one of the Div 1 playoffs this year. I'm definitely going to have to check out some of that.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

HPL posted:

https://wftda.com/news/2016-international-wftda-playoffs-and-championships-locations-announced

Cool. Vancouver is hosting one of the Div 1 playoffs this year. I'm definitely going to have to check out some of that.

Part of me hopes that we get that tourney this year, because Vancouver is sweet and I've never been there. The other part of me balks at trying to raise that kind of travel fund for 20 skaters and two coaches.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Part of me is looking forward to the hilarity of a bunch of skaters without passports.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Would have liked one playoff to be hosted in Europe. If nothing else it might raise a bit of awareness of the absurd situation that all Euro leagues have been in for years when it comes to travelling to tournaments/playoffs.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Beeswax posted:

Would have liked one playoff to be hosted in Europe. If nothing else it might raise a bit of awareness of the absurd situation that all Euro leagues have been in for years when it comes to travelling to tournaments/playoffs.

The MRDA is planning to have a men's playoff in Europe later this year, with the winners advancing to MRDA Championships. The MRDA also said there would be two playoff sites in the U.S., though I'm hearing that might not actually happen.

And since the thread has been revived for a spell, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W60wYwOP_b8

In Los Angeles next month, there will be a special exhibition game featuring the crazy-rear end Japanese style of roller derby, as seen above. It'll be between an all-Japan team and a TBD USA team (as also seen above) with both men and women playing. They will be building a banked track on the beach right next to the Santa Monica Pier and have it setup for the whole weekend, with skating demonstrations, an L.A. Derby Dolls expo, and the main event, the Rollergames World Series. The website with more info is here.

This could be the start of a new professional roller derby league. The man behind this production told me as much. (He's #17 in red in the above video.)

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 4, 2016

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Beeswax posted:

Maybe you guys should just move to America :colbert:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

bgreman posted:

Part of me hopes that we get that tourney this year, because Vancouver is sweet and I've never been there. The other part of me balks at trying to raise that kind of travel fund for 20 skaters and two coaches.

The good news is that you'll be living like royalty once you're here what with the weak-rear end Canadian dollar.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

overseer07 posted:

Part of me is looking forward to the hilarity of a bunch of skaters without passports.

We're already running into this problem and even more complex border-crossing issues. We've instructed anyone without a passport (or with an expired one) to get on it now, and there's only a 50% chance we'll be assigned to a Canadian playoff site.

We're really hoping for Columbia. It's the least travel and we have a pretty good relationship with their league AND they host one of the best afterparties in derby.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

overseer07 posted:

i'm waiting for "i can't actually leave the country" or "i can't get into canada because i had a DUI"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Also, will Canada require work visas for the skaters who have active endorsements/sponsorships?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Noob question here: If I buy some new plates will they go on my existing boots? Is is just a simple matter of removing the old plastic plates and screwing the new metal ones on?

Also, does 7mm or 8mm trucks really matter?

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Noob question here: If I buy some new plates will they go on my existing boots? Is is just a simple matter of removing the old plastic plates and screwing the new metal ones on?

Also, does 7mm or 8mm trucks really matter?

the first one depends on where the mounting holes are, if theyre different between plates you need to drill new holes and make sure the plates are centered correctly

the second really only matters for buying new bearings, as the 7/8 mm is how thick the axles on them are.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Get 8mm unless you really know exactly why you need 7mm.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

downtimejesus posted:

the first one depends on where the mounting holes are, if theyre different between plates you need to drill new holes and make sure the plates are centered correctly

the second really only matters for buying new bearings, as the 7/8 mm is how thick the axles on them are.

Spookydonut posted:

Get 8mm unless you really know exactly why you need 7mm.

I'm looking at getting these: http://rollerskates.discountskatewear.com/p-2714-sure-grip-avenger-aluminum-black.aspx?gclid=CL6qr9DrtssCFUg8gQodakcJjg Along with some aluminum core wheels.

I'm a 240 pound male skater and right now the nylon just flexes too much (another dude on the team had his just break in half while he were skating).

The plates are expensive enough without me having to buy a whole new boot.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

spacetoaster posted:

I'm looking at getting these: http://rollerskates.discountskatewear.com/p-2714-sure-grip-avenger-aluminum-black.aspx?gclid=CL6qr9DrtssCFUg8gQodakcJjg Along with some aluminum core wheels.

I'm a 240 pound male skater and right now the nylon just flexes too much (another dude on the team had his just break in half while he were skating).

The plates are expensive enough without me having to buy a whole new boot.

Get the Mg plates not the Al plates, the weight difference is worth it.

You can do the not that recent fad of buying like a regular shoe/boot/soccer cleats and mounting the plates to them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Spookydonut posted:

Get the Mg plates not the Al plates, the weight difference is worth it.

You can do the not that recent fad of buying like a regular shoe/boot/soccer cleats and mounting the plates to them.

I'd love to get the Mg plates, but holy cow at the cost. I'm just now getting over the heart attack the wheel cost gave me.

*edit* I'm not "that" worried about the weight difference between the MG and AL plates. I am a gym bro.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

spacetoaster posted:

I'd love to get the Mg plates, but holy cow at the cost. I'm just now getting over the heart attack the wheel cost gave me.

*edit* I'm not "that" worried about the weight difference between the MG and AL plates. I am a gym bro.

Depends how dedicated you are to skating, those plates will likely last you forever so getting the Mg might make sense in the long term.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
So, I've verbally expressed interest in reffing to my wife, whose disorganized rabble of a league is always in need of assistance. I admit to second thoughts, if only because I just enjoy being a chill widow rather than actually do work. How crazy am I?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Natty Ninefingers posted:

So, I've verbally expressed interest in reffing to my wife, whose disorganized rabble of a league is always in need of assistance. I admit to second thoughts, if only because I just enjoy being a chill widow rather than actually do work. How crazy am I?

Very. I've rarely seen this go well. Usually it results in extra bickering when you go home after a scrim/bout/whatever.

I haven't done this personally, but I know a few people that have.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Also, depending on how the league is, you may be overworked, underappreciated, outright abused, or any combination of those. I started reffing when the only issue with the league was slight underappreciation, which turned into underappreciation, then as people retired the overworked kicked in, and then appreciation dropped to zero and the outright abuse came in.

Don't worry, though, roller derby is all about acceptance of everyone!

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Malgrin posted:

Very. I've rarely seen this go well. Usually it results in extra bickering when you go home after a scrim/bout/whatever.

I haven't done this personally, but I know a few people that have.

I've also seen it go just fine on many occasions, for what it's worth.

I started dating a skater in 2010 before I knew anything about roller derby, and became her bench manager in 2011. No issues. The next season, she was captain of that team, and we worked together as leadership all season with nary a problem. After she retired, she moved on to coaching briefly and we coached one of our home teams together for a season. The only disputes were the regular leadership-related ones and it never bled over into our home life. I eventually became the head coach of our WFTDA charter team, and she is now the head of our skating officials. We work together to try to make our league better where we can and rarely butt heads over anything derby-related. I think that's something, considering her actions during bouts have a direct impact on the team I'm coaching.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bgreman posted:

I've also seen it go just fine on many occasions, for what it's worth.

I started dating a skater in 2010 before I knew anything about roller derby, and became her bench manager in 2011. No issues. The next season, she was captain of that team, and we worked together as leadership all season with nary a problem. After she retired, she moved on to coaching briefly and we coached one of our home teams together for a season. The only disputes were the regular leadership-related ones and it never bled over into our home life. I eventually became the head coach of our WFTDA charter team, and she is now the head of our skating officials. We work together to try to make our league better where we can and rarely butt heads over anything derby-related. I think that's something, considering her actions during bouts have a direct impact on the team I'm coaching.

What you described is very different from a skater/ref relationship, though.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Natty Ninefingers posted:

I think you should do it. I've been getting my skating skills up and doing all the NSO positions for a little while now. About to start being a skating ref for the practice scrimmages soon (would have been tonight if I wasn't sick).

Mr. Powers posted:

appreciation dropped to zero and the outright abuse came in.

Can you tell me about this? I'm working with our junior league now, but the women's team is starting to bug me about working with them too. I haven't seen any abuse, or even lack of appreciation. But I probably just don't have any visibility on it.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 17, 2016

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

spacetoaster posted:

Can you tell me about this? I'm working with our junior league now, but the women's team is starting to bug me about working with them too. I haven't seen any abuse, or even lack of appreciation. But I probably just don't have any visibility on it.

It corresponded with a rise in the rankings to D1. We had one certified ref and a bunch that weren't interested in that level of officiating (including me, I had been, but then became disillusioned), and I think the team basically got spoiled and expected that they would draw in all sorts of certified refs (we got some that would visit when they didn't have a home game commitment). So, basically you had people playing at tournament level with certified 3-5 officials fully staffed, and then scrimmaging with 3-7 non certified officials (and maybe a level 2) (this includes skating and non). On top of that there was internal drama, and 90% of the chartered team left after that season. So tempers are already quick to flare up, and you've got about 3 skating officials trying to run a scrimmage.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm not a paying member of the league, but I ref at scrimmages with a local D1 team and they're lucky if they get 3 actual refs at practice. Most weeks it's one or two refs (including me and I'm still a beginner at reffing) plus skaters as stand-in refs to at least make it 2 IPRs and 2 JRs.

While you can easily be overlooked/under-appreciated, there is no abuse or disrespect aimed at refs by skaters. I haven't heard of that sort of behaviour among the other top Euro leagues either, but then again I've been told that getting poo poo from skaters etc. is a lot more common in the states.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It probably is a lot more common here. There seems to be a movement against it, but it was accepted as a part of the sport for a long time. I was told that it's derby and you just have to deal with it by more experienced refs.

I think the change is that the more established leagues are making a concerted effort to not be assholes to their officials. The smaller leagues seem to be pretty good to them, but I'd say were 50/50 on hostility to outside officials a few years ago when I stopped.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Yeah, our entire officiating staff left practice two hours early once due to skaters being abusive. Most of them figured it out and have been much better towards us ever since. I think they finally started realizing that being a top 10 league doesn't mean anything to officials.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

What you described is very different from a skater/ref relationship, though.

We've had plenty of skater/ref relationships in our league (I can think of five off the top of my head) without a ton of interpersonal problems (at least, problems that bled over into public league business; I wouldn't be able to speak to whether it impacted those couples domestically).

Underappreciation can definitely be a thing for all league volunteers and abuse of officials came close to being a crisis for us, but our officials have begun an effort to try to get rid of the "us vs them" mentality that is often present in the league - official dynamic. Cooler heads prevailed and we seem to have gotten through that rough patch, though a few officials did quit or reduce their participation.

A big part of the dynamic is that the greater official community has a culture of non-fraternization, which I think is kind of dumb. At a tournament, officials can be aloof and try not to fraternize with the skaters, sure, but when you're working with the same people day in, day out, it's kind of counter-productive to maintain that strict separation. It's a better atmosphere when everyone is friendly with each other. Several of our officials are former skaters who originally got into reffing/officiating to keep close with the league community, and I think that helps foster a more open relationship between the skaters and officials.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
Does anyone know if the bizarro derby thing with Japan vs USA in Cali is going to be streamed today?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
No, it's a commercial event. I'm here and doing some stuff on my Twitter.

http://twitter.com/derbynotes

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
How you guys feeling the camera work for the big O?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Really hated the tight shots. Derby is a lot about footwork and formations, and you lose a lot of that when they zoom in on torsos.

• Locked thread