Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
The non-ESPN camerawork was about typical for a big derby event.

The ESPN camerawork was clearly done by a professional team who is used to covering sports. If pro crews become more common, knowledge of how to shoot the sport will follow rapidly after. If I wasn't a derby fan/player, I would have been like "drat, these production values, yo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

The ESPN camerawork was clearly done by a professional team who is used to covering sports. If pro crews become more common, knowledge of how to shoot the sport will follow rapidly after. If I wasn't a derby fan/player, I would have been like "drat, these production values, yo."
nah it was still pretty bad, the first half of the first game was pretty unwatchable because of the zoomed in camera that cropped out feet, tracking the jammers when they got out of the pack, and switching camera angles every half second

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Also, the dicks from ESPN had no problem hassling officials of the untelevised games and getting in the way constantly during setup and takedown.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
Anyone going to beach brawl this weekend? I'll be medic'ing every day! :-D

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Cryosleep posted:

We were invited, and really would have liked to have gone, but I'm getting hitched to our head ref today and insisted we schedule no bouts this weekend.

Have fun!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bgreman posted:

I'm getting hitched to our head ref today.

I guess you will do anything to stay out of the penalty box!

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

spacetoaster posted:

I guess you will do anything to stay out of the penalty box!

When I take a penalty, our captain has to serve it, so really I'm protecting her interests.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Cryosleep posted:

are they streaming it?

i wish we were streaming Gatekeepers vs Team USA

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

are they streaming it?

Yup.

http://www.beachbrawlrollerderby.com/live_streaming_

There was an overtime jam earlier. How exciting.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Well, I don't have to schedule taking the hella hard now.

That said, I don't know if I can put up with the steady stream of bullshit the WFTDA emits until they come up with a new officiating cert process.

Edit: some points I made last night, after hearing about it:
The wftda shouldn't be a commitee of skaters from leagues making the rules to suit their team's interests; over the 4.5 years I have been involved with roller derby, attendance has waned due to the lovely decisions from the wftda about getting away from what people want to watch
Big leagues that have a presence on the national stage are able to maintain attendance, even with the lovely rules, but every other team that plays by them get hosed over
We can all (who remember them) admit that the slow pivot line starts and the subsequent knee starts were bad, but there was actual skating happening (once the jammers were released) before and for a short while right after that strategy became a thing
The rules to curb the knee starts did nothing to encourage skating, which has lead to this nonsense of non-moving roller derby
Stepping in place is not skating, I would bet whomever suggested it was from a top ~10 team and the other top ranked teams agreed
That begs the question, is there a clear chain of how things happened? Are there actual minutes of the changes that have been made to the rules? Is there a clear delineation of who suggested what?
Cause that would be fun
See who exactly is behind the rule changes and see what happened to their constituents as a result of them

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 18, 2016

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

The news ICYMI: https://wftda.com/news/wftda-announces-suspension-of-wftda-officiating-certification-program-starting-june-1

EvilMoFo posted:

The wftda shouldn't be a commitee of skaters from leagues making the rules to suit their team's interests; over the 4.5 years I have been involved with roller derby, attendance has waned due to the lovely decisions from the wftda about getting away from what people want to watch
Big leagues that have a presence on the national stage are able to maintain attendance, even with the lovely rules, but every other team that plays by them get hosed over

I get a lot of poo poo on Twitter from the same handful of people that are involved with large WFTDA leagues and/or are high on the WFTDA food chain that continue to insist that because things are fine from where they're sitting, everything else must be fine everywhere else in WFTDA-land. In some ways it's getting better, but my position has always been that in many other ways it's nowhere near as good as it was in 2009 or 2010.

I mean, it's great that WFTDA derby is on ESPN3! But five or six years ago, large WFTDA leagues were talking about being/were actually on real-life television networks. Just imagine where roller derby would be now if the WFTDA had made efforts to stay on that trajectory.

EvilMoFo posted:

That begs the question, is there a clear chain of how things happened? Are there actual minutes of the changes that have been made to the rules? Is there a clear delineation of who suggested what?
Cause that would be fun
See who exactly is behind the rule changes and see what happened to their constituents as a result of them

It's a funny process with the WFTDA. Any member skater, through their WFTDA representative, is able to suggest an improvement. Through discussions within and among membership, the promising suggestions get passed up to the rules committee who then decides what to do from there. Some of these ideas will get beta tested, and feedback from those tests is privately collected and mulled over by the rules committee to see if the skaters like it, how practical the changes are, and what the specific language of the rules will need to be for it to work as desired (which they never get right the first time).

If you (or I) had access to the WFTDA membership forums, you could probably see the machination happening up to a point. As I understand it, once it crosses that point (the rules committee) it becomes a kind of black box where no one really knows what's happening until it's announced that it's in or out. If it's in, WFTDA membership gives the final yea or nay vote to implement it.

However, you'll never ever get to know about the specifics about who voted on what and the exact discussions in the rules committee were about. For as open and inclusive as the WFTDA portends to be, in places it resembles an exclusive and secretive organization in many ways. I mean, if you can get EVERYTHING about what's happening behind the curtain at USARS, because by law it's not allowed to have a curtain. Their board meeting and committee meeting minutes are publicly available on its website. I'll eat my hat if the WFTDA (willingly) makes its internal discussions public within the next decade.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

WindyMan posted:

If you (or I) had access to the WFTDA membership forums,
Those comments came as a reason that I, for the sake of the league (as it would come back to bite them because :dramabomb:), shouldn't get access because of my strong opinions that the WFTDA doesn't want to hear.

Fake edit: what happened to :dramabomb:? :911:

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Meh. The forum is about 80% drama on any given day, anyway.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

overseer07 posted:

Meh. The forum is about 80% drama on any given day, anyway.

youdontsay.jpg

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Wow, WFTDA is really trying hard to be a clown show, aren't they?

For some perspective, WFTDA is demanding three months longer to refine its officials certification process than it took Apple to go from "this 1.8-inch disk looks interesting" to shipping the first iPod.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

eschaton posted:

Wow, WFTDA is really trying hard to be a clown show, aren't they?

For some perspective, WFTDA is demanding three months longer to refine its officials certification process than it took Apple to go from "this 1.8-inch disk looks interesting" to shipping the first iPod.

So what's the deal with the certification process? I heard they're bringing in a men's league?

I'd love to play derby, but alas, men aren't welcome in my area.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

So what's the deal with the certification process? I heard they're bringing in a men's league?

They're revising the certification process since the current model is not working out for various reasons (the main one seems to be pure work load for the cert panel, now that more and more people are applying for cert). The certification will apply both to WFTDA and MRDA (the major male derby org).

EvilMoFo posted:

The rules to curb the knee starts did nothing to encourage skating, which has lead to this nonsense of non-moving roller derby
Stepping in place is not skating, I would bet whomever suggested it was from a top ~10 team and the other top ranked teams agreed

This is my main gripe with derby right now. The very top level games (champs, basically) is exciting due to the athleticism and fast action, and low level derby is fun because there's lots of poo poo going on and it's all very chaotic. In between the two is a wasteland of non-moving snorefests where the pack never clears a lap in 50 jams. Watching the stream for Mayday in HEL (Bunch of top euro teams + Montreal) was a huge downer, but thankfully I could switch to a stream of two Norwegian leagues playing their third games ever against each other in front of ~150 enthusiastic people in a packed tiny gymnasium and that sort of thing makes derby fun again.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 18, 2016

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

spacetoaster posted:

Just because there's no men's teams in the area doesn't mean you can't at least participate. Check out your local league and see if you can ref, plus I bet at least a few of the refs there play men's/co-ed from time to time.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Notorious QIG posted:

Just because there's no men's teams in the area doesn't mean you can't at least participate. Check out your local league and see if you can ref, plus I bet at least a few of the refs there play men's/co-ed from time to time.

I already skate ref/nso/coach. I just don't get to play.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Beeswax posted:

thankfully I could switch to a stream of two Norwegian leagues playing their third games ever against each other in front of ~150 enthusiastic people in a packed tiny gymnasium and that sort of thing makes derby fun again.

I did a couple tournaments recently that burnt me out; at great expense, in both time and money. I need to find derby fun again to continue this nonsense, I really wish the bay area rcdl team was more than just hype and pr.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

EvilMoFo posted:

I did a couple tournaments recently that burnt me out; at great expense, in both time and money. I need to find derby fun again to continue this nonsense, I really wish the bay area rcdl team was more than just hype and pr.

Well the Black Widows aren't just hype and PR, they actually are a bouting team now. They were in San Diego some weeks ago playing against the lower-tier RDCL teams. They lost all their games, as they would, but as far as debuts go they put on the strongest showing I've ever seen a green banked track league put on. I talked to a bunch of their people while they were down there, it's just a matter of them finding a space to put the track at this point. They're still hopeful it's going to happen this year.

In other news:

This gonna be gud.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Well, count me in as interested. Where's the best place to go to munch popcorn and watch drama?

In other news I've finally found my niche helping my wife's team. Announcing at bouts. The microphone is dented with no off switch, the acoustics are terrible, I definitely need to rig some sort of pop shield if I really want to get exicted, but my voice is deep and everyone loves me. My wife says she'll sow me a sequined suit coat :sun:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Well, count me in as interested. Where's the best place to go to munch popcorn and watch drama?

In other news I've finally found my niche helping my wife's team. Announcing at bouts. The microphone is dented with no off switch, the acoustics are terrible, I definitely need to rig some sort of pop shield if I really want to get exicted, but my voice is deep and everyone loves me. My wife says she'll sow me a sequined suit coat :sun:

Where are you located? I think my sister is involved with the AFTDA.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I'm going to be doing some announcing next-next-weekend. Battle on the Bank in Philadelphia! You should come if you're in the area. You should come if you're not in the area. I am!

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
Who's at Rollercon? I already saw Windyman and Wildstyle.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sorry to necro this thread but what the gently caress happened after MRDA champs? Some kinda fight?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Censorship

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Video: https://www.facebook.com/DerbyNotes/videos/1151787778233187/

Apparently some insults were thrown toward the end of the St.Louis/Your Mom game, which escalated into a shoving/fistfight altercation as The Gatekeepers were starting to celebrate their win and championship.

We'll hear something from the MRDA before not-too-long, certainly.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Predictably, the Facebook discussions have already hit a level that makes you want to kill yourself just by reading them.

That said, it felt incredibly predictable to see a proper fight break out at a merby game.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

It got physical near the end. Red 9 blindsided the white pivot, legal hit, and then gets nailed a couple of times by white 314 and hit with a track cut. Then 9 gets upset and points at 314 while going to the box. He comes out of the box after clock expires and tries to hit 314 and the Gatekeeper coach shoves him away prompting a player from Des Moines to charge the coach.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
MRDA isn't loving around with their response:

https://mrda.org/mrda-issues-suspensions-2016-championships/

quote:

As a result of the incidents that took place following the final game at MRDA’s 2016 Championships, the MRDA’s Board of Directors has issued the following suspensions:

The skater Frank Notsohotra (#9) with Your Mom Men’s Roller Derby received a four (sanctioned) game suspension, and probation through December 31, 2017 for violating the Men’s Roller Derby Association’s Code of Conduct.

The skater Coulter (#8) with Your Mom Men’s Roller Derby received a six (sanctioned) game suspension, and probation through December 31, 2017 for violating the Men’s Roller Derby Association’s Code of Conduct.

The coach Mr. Pink with St. Louis Gatekeepers received a six (sanctioned) game suspension, and probation through December 31, 2017 for violating the Men’s Roller Derby Association’s Code of Conduct.

The skater Hopper (#81) with Texas Men’s Roller Derby received one season (minimum eight sanctioned games) suspension and probation through December 31, 2017 for violating the Men’s Roller Derby Association’s Code of Conduct. Any substantiated violations during the suspension or probation period for this member will result in MRDA membership being permanently revoked. Hopper is also prohibited from attending as a spectator or any other capacity at MRDA Playoffs and Championships in 2017.

The MRDA is dedicated to preserving the safety and health of our members. The MRDA will also be implementing additional procedures to safeguard our members including a dedicated procedure to allow officials to vacate the track at the end of games prior to teams being able to leave their bench area, and a standardized set of procedures for track monitors for all future events.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nice. Now if the JRDA would do similar stuff.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

spacetoaster posted:

Nice. Now if the JRDA would do similar stuff.

I want some back story on this comment. I don't really follow anything derby anymore, but I did hear about the MRDA stuff.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Any idea what the MRDA definition of "probation" is?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Powers posted:

I want some back story on this comment. I don't really follow anything derby anymore, but I did hear about the MRDA stuff.

JRDA is the Junior Derby.

I've seen some pretty bad behavior (punches thrown, etc) and the write ups just seem to disappear into a black hole.

So far, being ejected from a game is about as severe a punishment I've ever seen with the juniors.

*fake edit* And to clarify, there isn't any major problem. But the couple of instances (and these were serious, an adult would probably go to jail for assault) I've seen over the years just fell off the radar after the passage of time with no decisions made.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Well, JRDA's president just up and quit, so maybe someone'll step in and actually get their poo poo together.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

overseer07 posted:

Well, JRDA's president just up and quit, so maybe someone'll step in and actually get their poo poo together.

Have you got a link to that? I know there's quite a few vacant leadership positions.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

Have you got a link to that? I know there's quite a few vacant leadership positions.

https://www.facebook.com/rick.dechaux/posts/10153706706506116

spacetoaster posted:

I've seen some pretty bad behavior (punches thrown, etc) and the write ups just seem to disappear into a black hole.

So far, being ejected from a game is about as severe a punishment I've ever seen with the juniors.

If bad stuff happens at an official JRDA tournament (Champs, etc.) or are from JRDA-affiliated leagues that have a paper trail of trouble requiring action from above, then yeah, the JRDA should step in and do something. However, for the most part issues like that seem as if they'd be better handled by the leadership of the leagues that these players play with, not the JRDA itself. There are bad apples and bad leaderships everywhere in roller derby, and IMO the top-level organizations (JRDA, WFTDA, MRDA) can't be expected to police everyone unless it has a direct impact on the organization like it did at MRDA Champs.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Champs.

Go Rose.

Loren Mutch a@aaaaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

The new rules were released.

https://wftda.com/wftda-releases-february-15-2017-rules-of-flat-track-roller-derby/

https://wftda.com/2017-rules-changes-to-gameplay/

At a glance, I don't see anything to help curb the painful stroller derby.

• Locked thread