Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
So, my wife is just about done with her recruitment phase of the Orlando Psycho City Derby Girls league and needs better pads and wheels.

She sent me some links and I'm going to get what she wants, but I have a question specifically about wheels. She wants Radar Flat Out wheels in Red or Light Blue ala: http://sincityskates.com/2nd/wheels/r-flatout.html

First of all I've done quite a bit of searching and they always appear to be $59 regardless of where I look. That being said, they all seem to charge a minimum of $12 in shipping as well.

Does anyone have sources where I can get these for less or at a discount? Second, do I also need to buy her bearings? She hasn't said anything about it, but I'd had to buy her new wheels and she can't use them. If she needs bearings, can you tell me what kind would work, maybe with a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I thought I'd post an update. My wife has been going through recruitment the last few months for the Orlando Psycho City Derby Girls, which is an OSDA league. Tonight she finds out if she made the team. We've been super involved and actually hosted a huge league party at our house this last weekend.

Fast forward to this week and the league announced they are forming a men's team. So, last night we went to the skate shop, I bought my wife new wheels and bearings and they happened to have a nice set of derby skates in my size (Men's 12) so I picked them up. I skated for a bit since it has been years, but I was picking it up pretty quickly. We'll see how the next few months pan out.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

Man, honestly, I didn't even know Orlando had any kind of teams. I was under the impression that the closest team we had was in Rockledge. This is welcome news! I'll have to come see your teams (supposing you make them)

They're working on increasing their presence right now. There are three teams in the Women's league with a fourth on the way. The only real place to get info about them right now is: http://www.facebook.com/orlandoderbygirls

I'll say that right now the bouts have been far from empty but they really are needing to spread the word more. I've been having a lot of fun going to matches but with a 4th team I think they'll be more fun as there won't just be the same match ups every time.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
For anyone in the Orlando-area, this Sunday is a bout. For next month's bout I have took over making posters of the Orlando Psycho City Derby Girls for the time being, February's my first:

Click here for the full 691x1024 image.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I'm officially the Design Coordinator for the Orlando Psycho City Derby Girls now. Ref training coming up at the end of February.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

real_scud posted:

You should come out no matter what cause the bouts are fun and who doesn't love having cheap beer and watching a bunch of girls smack the hell out of each other?

Oh hey I met you at the welcoming party, my wife is the captain of Serial Thrillers. Also quoting this because the bout is this Sunday and anyone local should come out cause it's always good fun.

Yeah, I was just freaked out when she sent me a friend invite on Facebook and sent a wall message immediately after that said "Goon." I knew it was going to happen at some point.

And yes, everyone should definitely come this weekend if you're in the Orlando-area. Only three games left in the season.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I love Penn-Jersey, several of them visited down here a few months ago to train with our Orlando league, since we're also OSDA.

One of the other posters here also has a wife on the Orlando team.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

scorpiobean posted:

Do you do OSDA stuff? I'm genuinely curious because I don't know much about OSDA and I'm even inspired to look up the OSDA ruleset.

Edit: Pivots can score points while still being a Pivot? :psyduck:

No. Pivots can become the Jammer if their Jammer is stuck in the pack and the other team's Jammer becomes the Lead Jammer.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
EDIT: ^^^^
I understand what you're saying now.

Dominion posted:

My girlfriend who retired from her WFTDA league is toying with the idea of joining a much more casual OSDA league, though she hasn't yet and I haven't actually seen any games. I know a handful of people who skate OSDA though.

The pivot thing is strange and I don't really understand it. I get the feeling it will make sense if I actually watched a bout. Also lead jammer changes back and forth throughout the jam based on who is actually in the lead at the moment.

Having watched both quite a bit, I like OSDA more. Single whistle starts the pack and the jammers. Lead changes. Plus OSDA have co-ed and banked track rules. Just more exciting in my opinion.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

scorpiobean posted:

I'll have to see if there's any OSDA teams in my area because I think I need to see some of this stuff to get a better grasp of it (I'm a pretty visual person). Another :psyduck: moment for me was also the fact that BACKBLOCKING is allowed (if done a certain way much like most blocking). Mostly because it's such a huge no-no under WFTDA rules. As for jam starts, can jammers line up as close to the pack as they want to? That was kind of my impression with the rules, that regular blockers could be anywhere behind the pivots and in front of the jammers.

Jammers still start on a designated Jam line. Blockers can start anywhere between the pivots and the Jammers.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Custom orthotics will fit pretty much any shoe of a certain size. Unless you're being promised something that will be molded to a particular shoe or skate.

I know this both because I have worn custom orthotics my whole life and by an odd string of luck, my Mom makes them and has been doing so for 33 years.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

I was more looking to avoid the cost of the orthotics by getting a full custom boot instead. The podiatrist said that they would need to take my skates to get the orthotic fit to the boot as well, and she specifically said it wouldn't fit in anything else.

I've had trouble getting insoles that fit in my R3's properly, but my R3's are crap and just about a whole size too big. Regardless of that, most commercial insoles' arches don't mate up with the boot properly and result in a large blister near the top of my arch.

I don't want to bring silly Ortho chat into the Derby thread, so I'll PM you.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Aericina posted:

Let me know what you find out, because every time I use my orthotics I get a gigantic blister in this same area on my right foot that doesn't seal for at least 8 weeks.

How are you breaking them in (the orthotics)? Given the level activity in the skate. You may want to only use them while warming up your first few practices and then gradually increase the time you're in them as you get used to them. It is going to change where your feet put pressure and therefore will blister if you just go full bore.

Even if they are the same orthotics from your normal, everyday shoes, skating changes where you put your weight and therefore requires a separate adjustment period.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

http://wftda.com/news/wftda-no-minors-beta-testing

Someone please tell me this is a late april-fools. In all seriousness though, :wtc:

"Hey referees, you know the sliding scale definition of impact you developed? SURPRISE!"
I really don't see this ending well when the next step down from a major is no penalty, especially for those tricky calls. What I've learned is if in doubt you should call it down, Major->Minor, Minor->No penalty. And in general, when you make a 'wrong' call, it's better to have called it down than called it up.
I don't imagine some skaters would be happy with the impact on safety this may have, especially when that skinny blocker from the other team keeps jabbing their elbow into their side.

But I'm being bitter and pesismistic, I'll reserve judgement until I see how these beta tests go.

So what rules do you like? You laugh at OSDA and other banked track rules, but you also scoff at this. I'm just wondering where you're coming from.

I see merit in all of them, honestly. To me its the difference between watching Arena league, Canadian Football and the NFL. All of the rules are different but they're still all fun to watch.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

WindyMan posted:

Our banked track is done! :neckbeard:

I finally got to skate on it last night. It was pretty nice, but it can tire you out very quickly if you don't know how to skate on it properly. Or you have weak legs. Or you're out of shape. All of the above apply to me.

Anyway, ask me about skating on a banked track!

That is awesome! Congratulations to your team.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

WindyMan posted:

There was a doozy of a jam start during the Philly/Denver game on Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhyLJEwT7sQ

Yes, it was exciting. So exciting, in fact, I had to spend a few hours to write about it on my blog.

poo poo like this is starting to wear thin on me. And between two top-ten teams, to boot! Unacceptable.

This is why I love the single whistle starts of OSDA. What would be the problem with doing the same in WFTDA?

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Dominion posted:

I think the problem would be articulated by "hurf durf lol osda"

You're most likely right.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Thought this was a good time to announce that we split off from the Orlando Psycho City Derby Girls and formed a co-ed league called Florida Derby League. We've had practices for a week now and I have started to skate, which is so much fun.

Besides our two practices this week, the wife and I have taken the kids to go skating twice including 4 miles on a paved outdoor trail today. I'm loving it.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

I have heard some talk about a desire to do this.
But it would likely require moving the jammer line back around the track.

Do you mean having the jammer line on the other side of the track around the bend? Why would that be a requirement? Just curious.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

WindyMan posted:

Probably because without putting more space between the jammers and the blockers at the start, things would be more of a mess. Although putting a half-lap bewteen them at the start would be too extreme, I think.

All you need to do is put a second line between the pivot line and jammer start line, effectively making a "box" for the blockers, and require that they all start inside of it. That way jammers still have space to engage each other before engaging the pack, without the pack being able to get in the way.

I see now. In OSDA they just put the jam and pivot lines and the blockers can start anywhere in between. Sometimes you'll see teams put a single blocker literally right in front of the other team's jammer.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Thought some of you might be interested in our new league's first promo video: http://youtu.be/xfC16uEPssA

I'd love any feedback at all.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Tonight's practice was pretty good for everyone but me. We had our first visiting skaters, a male from Thunder City and a woman from PennJersey. Both were super nice and gave us some great feedback.

I, however, sucked big time. I had no energy / endurance. Skating is no joke and I think my 4-mile skate trip on Sunday has done me in. Anyone have good exercises to help increase endurance? Just jumping in and out of the pace line seems like I'm annoying the other skaters.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

downtimejesus posted:

Go back to that trail. Skate for a minute, then full blown sprint for as long as you can or up to two minutes, which is all you'll ever have to do unless you're playing extremely shorthanded in a bout. Now skate normal for a minute or however long it takes for your heart to not want to jump out of your chest. If you can't breathe, put your hands on top of your head with your elbows out sideways with your fingers interlocked. If you ever double over and put your hands on your knees, you're doing it wrong. Repeat until you either die or don't feel like doing it anymore. It's a basic High Intensity Interval drill, but it works.

Look into plyometric exercises if you don't have access to that trail. I do the P90X plyo routine when I can't skate outside and theres no rinks open (haha it rains all the time in New York, god drat it)

Oh, and make sure you're not eating like poo poo.

Thanks, I thought HIIT might be the answer. I also have P90x Plyo, but just to make sure I'm getting better on my skates I'll probably stick to the trail. I've also drastically modified my diet for the better so I think I have that part covered.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

There's an interval program for running called Couch to 5k which I was doing (on foot) for a while before I started up with the practices this year. I think it helped me a lot. Until it started raining all the time in the northeast, I was doing 25+ miles on skates each weekend. By the end of the trip, I'm not going that fast, but when I start out I just push myself hard as long as I can. I did C25k up through 25 minutes of running, though, which helps.

Yeah, I've done couch to 5k, I can really run all day if I wanted, its just that skating in a pace line gets my heart rate up higher than when I jog so just jogging alone isn't getting my heart rate high enough to help with my endurance at that elevated level. I really love the intensity of HIIT and have done it both running and biking before, so I think it'll probably be perfect for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Last night's practice was the exact opposite of Tuesdays. I was able to make it through the whole thing and keep up with the newer people. Better yet at the very end we do a pace line type thing with the slowest person up front all the way to the fastest in back. The person in front does their fastest 5 laps with everyone behind having to keep up with them. At the end of that 5 laps the person up front drops out and stretches. If you're slightly out of order and you start to pull away from the person behind you, you're whistled to drop back and it becomes that person's five laps since you're faster than them. I started out front and pulled away quickly so I had to drop back after half a lap, then again the next time I started I pulled away again after a lap and half and had to drop back. Finally I was in the right spot and had a ridiculously hard time finishing my 5, but I did it.

Last week I was barely able to do 5 laps and this week I did 15. Definitely seeing progress.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I can't speak for all of OSDA, but in general the rules are much more clear cut so we don't really see it happen. Single-whistle starts help some of this, but I'm not clear onto what would happen if a skater started behind the Jammers. I'll ask our head referee tonight or tomorrow.

As for a split between skaters and refs, it exists on a smaller level and things can get heated at some practices. In my new league we haven't run into that issue, as much as the last, but we're also not that big yet. I know in the the old league they have A LOT of new refs and in their last match I'm told they called almost nothing, including blatant fouls. I attribute this more to the league and those particular refs' experience than the OSDA rules.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

WindyMan posted:

Another problem with modern derby: It's centered around the girls and the skaters and the culture more than the sport. If the girls don't get it their way, then there's going to be drama. I've heard stories of men's teams and leagues wanting to get started much sooner than they did but the women wouldn't "allow" it, or stories where women were effectively discriminating against men. Although I'm sure situations like this happen in the minority, they still happen.

Makes you wonder who is serving who's interests.

One of the things that we've gotten the most good feedback on in our new co-ed league is our code of conduct. The four of us who formed / own the league worked for several weeks drafting what we thought was a good core document and one of the most important things we address is attitude.

The way we are approaching the league is that skaters pay money to learn and/or get better at derby and with the possible goal that they may skate in games. We liken this to a gym. Our basic premise is that you pay us and we provide the coaching and practice space, you just need to bring a good attitude. If you don't, you can leave. If you don't quite a few times, you can leave forever. We have never had to ask anyone to leave because they all get it.

Has it turned off a few people? Yes. They weren't going to be interested in us anyway. The majority of the people love it and we're a tight group. We are now starting to attract female skaters that are sick of the drama but also didn't want to skate with men. The last thing we're going to do is talk crap about other skaters or leagues and we ask the same of skaters that skate with us.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Dominion posted:

They won't because it's not true at all. You can play a sport and love to compete and still have fun when you lose. Maybe not if you lose every single time, but not everyone is so obsessed with winning that it defines the entire game for them. That opinion, that you can't have competition and also fun, is the very root of what is rotting away at CCRG. It's ~15 girls who want to win so badly that they are sucking the fun away from ~80 other girls and basically killing the game for them.

When I say these girls just want to skate and have fun, I don't mean that none of them care about winning and they just want to skate in circles and be nice to each other. They want to play the game they love and yes, of course trying to win and get better is part of that. They just don't care about being national champions or getting their asses kicked by national champion contenders in scrimmage practice.

Your last sentence there is just so wrong-headed I don't even know where to begin.

I'm more than willing to bet that a lot of the problem is the current incarnation of WFTDA. When you have scores like 180-5, you have the teams that care about nothing but getting the 180 and the other teams who don't want to score 5. The simple fact is that derby is not a cheap sport to be an athlete in. It requires lots of practice, equipment and dues. Unless you're an established team / league with a large fanbase, you can't afford large enough facilities to really support growth.

That being said, we're working really hard to keep our league fun and we are organizing off skate activities to keep things up. I'm with you though Dominion you need a both, you need some wins and you need some time outside the rink.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Thought I'd ask if anyone here is looking at MADE rules? We're now the Central Florida rep for them. We're still working on getting set up as ODSA officially, though its more an administrative thing following through than anything else.

You can find the rule stuff at https://www.skatemade.org. Only five pages of rules.

Mega Shark fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 27, 2011

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

MADE needs better spokespeople. They had some skaters posting in the comments of an article about whistles or minors and somesuch, and all of them were posting about how the rules are awesome because the rules are only four pages (I see they've grown). When pressed, they wouldn't send the rules or tell anyone about anything, except how great it was and how many people are involved (but they can't tell you who). They emailed the rules to one person who reviewed them and described them as rules for "pick up derby" (not meant in a bad way) whereas WFTDA is trying to keep officiating consistent globally.

Basically, they were being supremely annoying.

You're just passing through MADE on the way to OSDA? Good choice, in my opinion.

We're going to be both. As a Co-ed league competition is already limited. We feel that as long as we are using a few rule sets we'll be ready to play anyone. This is especially important right now while we are growing.

As one of the few people who is actually on the owner board for MADE, I can tell you that I have no idea who is posting on those articles. As per the concept of it being for "pick up derby", I guess that could be on way to look at it, but that honestly isn't the goal. We haven't played a MADE game yet, so until I do I'll reserve my opinion on how it plays. That being said, I don't see why the rules being small would necessarily make it any less consistent on a broader stage.

The annoying thing I totally get. It reminds me of the people here who immediately dismiss OSDA when they haven't even looked at the rules. I promise to post a "trip report" immediately following our first MADE game.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

WindyMan posted:

So um, yeah...

http://www.justin.tv/mcwheely/b/290413509

This kind of stuff will really put a cap on how popular the sport becomes.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I thought I should mention that the league I founded a few months ago is growing and as of yesterday we finally have an indoor facility. It was perfect timing because with the ridiculous amount of rain we've been getting in central Florida we were missing every other practice at least. Despite hundreds of phone calls in the months before, one single phone call a week ago was to the perfect person and a meeting yesterday was all it took to put things in place. Now we just have to brave one more week of rain to start skating indoors next Tuesday.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Isabell Iam posted:

Where in central Florida? My parents live in Osceola County and I'd love to practice with another league whenever I'm visiting them, but last time I looked, the only league in the Orlando area is OSDA and not a WFTDA league :/

We are a MADE league and we're Co-ed. That being said, we've had several visiting skaters including one from WFTDA who loved practicing with us. Our new facility is in Kissimmee, which is in Osceola County.

E-mail me at pdriggett@floridaderbyleague.com if you're interested in coming whenever.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Anyone else going to the Blood & Thunder Roller Derby Training Camp in Ft. Lauderdale? I'll be there for both Coaching camp days, the 27th and 28th of August.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Sweet As Sin posted:

I'm having the hardest time creating a derby name. Does anyone have tips or suggestions?

What do you do for a living? What is your favorite movie? TV Show? Sports team? Hobby?

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Cryosleep posted:

I played roller derby with a group here in Central Florida, but quit because the group was so "Cliquey" that they had a hard time letting in fresh meat. I was with them at least 6 months and never got any feedback on my skills, my advancements or improvements, good OR bad. I went to every practice and every fundraiser. Just felt like I never belonged. I was also tired of the drama that was going on with the board members, who seemed to be more in it for themselves and their close friends rather than the team as a whole. Recently, a few of us have joined together to form a new league, under the M.A.D.E. ruleset. It definitely has it's growing pains right now, but I'm excited to be on the ground floor of a new league, especially with possible co-ed skating.

Wait, what is your derby name and what league are you in now?

EDIT: I think you may have sent me a Facebook invite this morning...

EDIT2: Now I know for a fact. My first name is Patrick, I'm one of the owners of Florida Derby League.

Mega Shark fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 20, 2011

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Cryosleep posted:

Yep, I did. I'm gonna keep my derby name and league under wraps for a bit, until we go public, but you know who I am and probably know the name of the league (maybe not). A few of the league are coming out to skate with you guys tomorrow. I'm working, but trying to get out of it so I can go. Hope to see you there!

Yeah no worries, I won't blow your cover. And yes, we'll see some people Sunday. Our next practice after that is on Tuesday.

^^^ Awesome, we'll see you there.

Mega Shark fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Well, I got to do some Derby skating with another goon. I probably embarrassed myself, but I'm used to that. The only suspicious thing is that Cryosleep wasn't a female neckbeard, which means that I was probably the weird one.

• Locked thread