Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
I know with the droid models, sbfing your phone is easy as pie. And if they can't turn it on, they can't see it's rooted and don't care. Verizon swapped out my bricked rooted phone with no problem at all, and I haven't gotten any hate mail from motorola after I sent it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
Probably shouldn't advocate warranty/insurance fraud on these forums.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Oh, I didn't post It as a way to get around it or anything, just a trip report on my rooted bricked droid.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Are there any Droid 1 roms with HTC's Sense ported over (and preferably running 2.2)? I want to fool around with it but :google: hasnt really given me anything.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Are there any Droid 1 roms with HTC's Sense ported over (and preferably running 2.2)? I want to fool around with it but :google: hasnt really given me anything.

Last I checked there was a few developers trying to but couldn't.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Casao posted:

Anyone have a recent MDPI GApps they can post? The td mirror system no longer lists them, and I'm trying to get a slide setup on CM6.

That's odd. I grabbed it yesterday though. So here it is in my dropbox.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/340941/gapps-mdpi-20101008-signed.zip

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Casao posted:

Anyone have a recent MDPI GApps they can post? The td mirror system no longer lists them, and I'm trying to get a slide setup on CM6.

Latest MDPI GApps.

Gandhi Theft Auto
May 15, 2007

Ask me about rooting the (now ancient) GSM HTC Hero. I'm running Chocolate Eclair 1.0.1 and the phone is generally much more pleasant to use compared to the stock firmware with its clearly underpowered processor.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001
The latest Gapps should always be available here, at the bottom
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

King Metal posted:

The latest Gapps should always be available here, at the bottom
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version

Yeah, I found this yesterday. The problem is that Team Douche's mirror poo poo itself and lost all the Gapps, so it was just the Tapeworm stuff, which isn't linked anywhere else.

deong posted:

That's odd. I grabbed it yesterday though. So here it is in my dropbox.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/340941/gapps-mdpi-20101008-signed.zip

Godzilla07 posted:

Latest MDPI GApps.

Thanks, but there's a new one dated the 20th now, has new Car apps and possibly Youtube.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Casao posted:

Yeah, I found this yesterday. The problem is that Team Douche's mirror poo poo itself and lost all the Gapps, so it was just the Tapeworm stuff, which isn't linked anywhere else.

Thanks, but there's a new one dated the 20th now, has new Car apps and possibly Youtube.

Yeah, the 20th has the new car app and youtube app.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
The one that I posted was on the TeamDouche mirror on the 20th. I grabbed it probably 11:00am MST. They must of screwed something up when updating to the newest :P

edit: Found this : gapps-mdpi-20101020-signed.zip md5sum: a5571643a90e265527add455e7da9486

The MD5 can be found on the chached page on google, searching by the file name, there are a lot of mirrors.

deong fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 22, 2010

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Trying to root a new Incredible (SLCD model), and I'm running into issues. I pushed CM6 stable to it after using Unrevoked to root, but the version of CM isn't compatible with SLCDs. I'm trying to flash a new recovery via HBOOT, but it won't find anything. Any thoughts/suggestions?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

serewit posted:

Trying to root a new Incredible (SLCD model), and I'm running into issues. I pushed CM6 stable to it after using Unrevoked to root, but the version of CM isn't compatible with SLCDs. I'm trying to flash a new recovery via HBOOT, but it won't find anything. Any thoughts/suggestions?

I'm not familiar with Unrevoked, but Recoveries and ROMs are two differentt things - did flashing CM6 somehow wipe out your recovery? Or does UnRevoked on the SLCD Incredible not give you a custom recovery?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Casao posted:

I'm not familiar with Unrevoked, but Recoveries and ROMs are two differentt things - did flashing CM6 somehow wipe out your recovery? Or does UnRevoked on the SLCD Incredible not give you a custom recovery?

The recovery image that Unrevoked pushed to the Incredible is buggy under the new model of Incredible, it seems. I finally fixed it, had to find a version of CM that worked with the new hardware, extract the recovery.img file, manually push it to the sdcard and then to the phone. After that, I could boot into recovery.

Now it can't mount the sdcard, though. Hrm.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I just bought a new Evo, and would like to root it for battery-efficiency purposed, but I'm afraid of bricking it :smith:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

eightysixed posted:

I just bought a new Evo, and would like to root it for battery-efficiency purposed, but I'm afraid of bricking it :smith:

Follow the directions and links in the OP.

I was totally clueless and walked step by step with the directions and eventually got everything figured out just fine.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

serewit posted:

Now it can't mount the sdcard, though. Hrm.

Well, after loving up 5 sd cards, I managed to get a CM build onto one and flash it through CM. And now we're just sitting at the white screen with 'HTC Incredible'. Oh, it just went pretty colors for a moment, then back to the 'HTC Incredible'.

Got half a mind to swap it out and not gently caress around with root until Unrevoked updates.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was terrified too, but it's really fantastically easy. There are basically no risks until you start getting into custom ROMs, and even then it's very hard to gently caress up if you remember to consistently do a NANDroid backup.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

eightysixed posted:

The old thread was called "I got 99 problems but a brick ain't one" for a reason. Pretty much the only way to brick your phone is to flash a corrupt radio. Relax and remember to check MD5 sums.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I apologize for this extremely retarded question.

Can NANdroid only be run from the boot menu?

edit - And does anyone have any experience with Cyanogen on a USC HTC desire?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 22, 2010

wmbest2
Sep 25, 2009

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I apologize for this extremely retarded question.

Is NANdroid an app that I need to get from somewhere?

Nandroid is a part of your recovery. The stock recovery doesn't have any backup utilities but nandroid is included in both clockwork and sprecovery.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Can NANdroid only be run from the boot menu?

Yes

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
ROM Manager can perform nandroid backups, and if you pay $4 it can even automate them to run on a schedule.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So I downloaded the latest CM nightly for the Incredible. Having the widgets in the status bar pulldown is neat but it doesn't have everything switchpro has.

For instance, I can toggle lockscreen, but can't get to a shortcut to toggle pattern lock. I also can't choose to use speakerphone.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I just tried to install CM6 via Rom Manager after wiping and for some reason the Market isn't working. It shows all my applications in the download status but nothing is happening. Let the phone sit for over 60 minutes (usually only takes 20 minutes for a full restore) and nothing.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I'm restoring back to my Saphire backup which I had made before installing CM6. I'm going to try wiping the Rom Manager download cache and redownloading it and seeing if that works.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 22, 2010

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Did they download but not install? Did they not even download?

If they didn't download then try toggling airplane mode on/off and see what happens. Or, clear market data instead.

Lumi
Apr 26, 2006
I watched the sky.
If I unlock my phone (for cross country/carrier usage, etc), will restoring my backup undo the unlocking, is that setting stored somewhere else more permanent?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Gonna spend some time messing with MIUI, let me know if you have any questions about it.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

God Exists. posted:

Probably shouldn't advocate warranty/insurance fraud on these forums.

where is the fraud?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Doctor Butts posted:

Did they download but not install? Did they not even download?

If they didn't download then try toggling airplane mode on/off and see what happens. Or, clear market data instead.

Ended up clearing market data, which allowed me to sucessfully download Titanium. I then was able to restore my apps via Ti, cleared market data again, and then the market started working properly.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Cyanogen isn't on the Droid 2, is it? Is there any particular reason? It looks like there's not much Droid 2 development going on.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Casao posted:

Gonna spend some time messing with MIUI, let me know if you have any questions about it.

Honestly I'm interested in just about everything about it. Mostly I'd like to know how it compares in terms of everyday use versus CM6. Also is anything just flat out broken in MIUI?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

LastInLine posted:

Honestly I'm interested in just about everything about it. Mostly I'd like to know how it compares in terms of everyday use versus CM6. Also is anything just flat out broken in MIUI?

Yes.

I couldn't get Facebook sync to work. I couldn't figure out a way to bring up Contacts directly, only by going to phone first. Nor did WiFi work.

Aside from these small bugs, it is really nice, and when it's Stable, I'll definitely give it a week or tow, possibly replace CM6 (depending on things like Gingerbread hitting, etc)

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!

Casao posted:

Yes.

I couldn't get Facebook sync to work. I couldn't figure out a way to bring up Contacts directly, only by going to phone first. Nor did WiFi work.

Aside from these small bugs, it is really nice, and when it's Stable, I'll definitely give it a week or tow, possibly replace CM6 (depending on things like Gingerbread hitting, etc)

I don't have any of these problems on my Desire 9.30 build. I've not tried the newest though, I believe it's 10.20?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Are there any Android 2.2 CDMA Hero ROMs that are anything close to the 2.1 Fresh ROM? I don't want some nerds wet dream of a customized ROM, I just want something close to a stock ROM that is 2.2. No offense to the heavily customized ROMs, but this is for my wife's phone and the closer to stock and more reliable the better.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ShaneB posted:

Are there any Android 2.2 CDMA Hero ROMs that are anything close to the 2.1 Fresh ROM? I don't want some nerds wet dream of a customized ROM, I just want something close to a stock ROM that is 2.2. No offense to the heavily customized ROMs, but this is for my wife's phone and the closer to stock and more reliable the better.

You want Cyanogenmod 6.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

sweeptheleg posted:

where is the fraud?

Running over your phone if you brick it seems like fraud to me.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

900ftjesus posted:

You want Cyanogenmod 6.

He said he wants a rom like Fresh so maybe not.

Damage control is the most popular Sense rom on the hero I think. But there aren't any 2.2 sense roms for the Hero unfortunately.

God Exists. fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 24, 2010

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Froyo with Sense is just getting started.
pancake 2.2 for the cdma hero. It's non functional, and bikamp was saying its not very likey to ever be :( so cyanogen if you want 2.2.

edit; looks like deca is working on a FroyoSense, but I'm not seeing a thread for it. You can find his link on page6 of this thread though. I doubt it'll have the stability you want, but might be worth watching.

deong fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I was of course speaking hypothetically.