Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
For anyone is still using a Magic/Dream on CM: I've been very impressed with the 216 nightly. Seems to be a decent speed increase from stable, has the notification bar power widget, nice tweaks to the camera and has fixed the gallery rotation bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

dissss posted:

For anyone is still using a Magic/Dream on CM: I've been very impressed with the 216 nightly. Seems to be a decent speed increase from stable, has the notification bar power widget, nice tweaks to the camera and has fixed the gallery rotation bug.

I will second this. Apparently they incorporated some of the pieces of the official 2.2 update (which flies, even faster than these latest CM6 builds) and it's helped the speed quite a bit.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Is there any way on CM6 to not turn off the screen immediately when I make a phonecall? Before, when I'd make a call, the screen would stay on till I guess the prox sensor tripped when I put the phone next to my ear. With CM6, it turns off immediately when I dial.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

JayKay posted:

Is there any way on CM6 to not turn off the screen immediately when I make a phonecall? Before, when I'd make a call, the screen would stay on till I guess the prox sensor tripped when I put the phone next to my ear. With CM6, it turns off immediately when I dial.

Settings > Call settings > check Keep screen awake

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I want to S-OFF my Desire with the Alpha-rev hack. Anyone done this? There's a couple of things I want to check:

a) Will this erase my ROM or will it be left intact? I'm assuming flashing a new partition table would result in everything being wiped and needing a re-install, but just applying the hack should leave everything untouched and just flash the new HBOOT, is this right?

b) I've read I might have to reflash ClockWork using fastboot afterwards, is there a guide to doing this somewhere?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

JayKay posted:

It's not doing this for me, what phone do you have and are you on Stable or nightly?

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

chippy posted:

I want to S-OFF my Desire with the Alpha-rev hack. Anyone done this? There's a couple of things I want to check:

a) Will this erase my ROM or will it be left intact? I'm assuming flashing a new partition table would result in everything being wiped and needing a re-install, but just applying the hack should leave everything untouched and just flash the new HBOOT, is this right?

b) I've read I might have to reflash ClockWork using fastboot afterwards, is there a guide to doing this somewhere?

If you use a custom partition table then a nandroid backup can be restored after the HBOOT change. Some people need a recovery reflash so follow this guide if you need it.

MrBishi fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 25, 2010

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!
I did the standard S-Off flash on mine with no problems at all. Just burnt the liveCD, popped it in my MacBook and away it went.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Has anyone with Titanium backup noticed that Minisquadron doesnt get listed/backed up.

Or am I doing something wrong here?

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

I am Ron Pearlman's illigitimate love child.
I've been trying to read up on this so I'm sure, but I always seem to get conflicting information. I'm looking to buy a Hero off of Craigslist to use on Sprint.

Should I be able to somewhat painlessly run Universal Androot and then pick a ROM through ROM Manager?

I really just want to negate as best I can the apparent sluggishness of the phone and have 2.2 running on it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

PapFinn posted:

I've been trying to read up on this so I'm sure, but I always seem to get conflicting information. I'm looking to buy a Hero off of Craigslist to use on Sprint.

Should I be able to somewhat painlessly run Universal Androot and then pick a ROM through ROM Manager?

I really just want to negate as best I can the apparent sluggishness of the phone and have 2.2 running on it.

The CDMA Hero is really easy to root, and you can run CM6 on it. I don't come across any bugs unless I'm playing w/ the nightly builds. The method to root changes depending on what level of OS is currently on it, but the XDA guides will get you set.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

PapFinn posted:

The best things to do would be:
- Root with UA
- Flash CM6 latest nightly
- Use SetCPU to OC (available for free @ XDA)
I have a MyTouch 3G still (very similar hardware), and my little guy still runs pretty well.

Just be careful you buy a phone with a clean ESN, or else Sprint won't let you use it, nor will they have any sympathy.

*Edit: Mostly beaten.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Im running stable cm6 on my g1 and for some reason I cannot boot into recovery mode (gets stuck at t mobile g1 screen and I end up having to take out the battery). Any ideas? I am trying to install a nightly build.

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*

Zero The Hero posted:

Cyanogen isn't on the Droid 2, is it? Is there any particular reason? It looks like there's not much Droid 2 development going on.

Droid 2 has an encrypted bootloader that makes it impossible (currently) to install a modified kernel or boot image.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

madkapitolist posted:

Im running stable cm6 on my g1 and for some reason I cannot boot into recovery mode (gets stuck at t mobile g1 screen and I end up having to take out the battery). Any ideas? I am trying to install a nightly build.

Your recovery probably got corrupted some how. Just update to whatever the newest is and try.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

PapFinn posted:

Bit off topic from the root part, but Sprint is selling refurb Heros for $80 on their website, and I believe that is no contract.

And I ran Cyanogen on my girlfriend's Hero for a bit, very easy to do (I used Androot and then ROM Manager), only quirk I ran into was to flash Cyanogen I had to put the zip on the SDCard then select it via ROM Manager. It definitely makes the phone run faster, that is for sure.

Also, I am running Fresh on my Evo and its pretty solid overall, so I would imagine that would be another good bet on the Hero.

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

Ok, well, I'm a moron and decided to buy one off of Craigslist this afternoon. The ESN is clear, but the activation through the web didn't seem to take.

It appears that the phone has been rooted and modded, which the guy didn't indicate before hand even when I asked him and doesn't seem to know about now. (He has stayed in contact, so I feel like he's not scamming me. We'll see.)

Here's my question: Since I don't have a backup made at the time of rooting, what are my options?

Under settings->About Phone, the Firmware version is 1.5 and the build number is:
{UNOFFICIAL] MoDaCo ROM v1.3 by
Obelisk79@XDA, SSH password: _***** (<-Masked because I don't know if it matters)

If that is a custom ROM it's obviously been rooted, so could I put a custom ROM on the SD card, factory reset and choose to load the zip from the card? I don't think that would work if I'm going from 1.5 right to 2.2.

If I take it to a Sprint store, can they activate the phone on my account and put the factory Rom on there so I can then update from 1.5 to 2.1 and then root and ROM from there according to the process I asked about above?

Or should I cut my losses and wait for refurbs/just get a subsidized one/be a man and get an Evo?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

What recovery is installed? Turn the phone off and start it by pressing the Home and Power buttons.

Anyway I see why it should matter what ROM is running as far as activating it on the network goes - so long as its not stolen they should do it. Don't expect them to mess around putting it back to stock for you though.

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

dissss posted:

What recovery is installed? Turn the phone off and start it by pressing the Home and Power buttons.

Anyway I see why it should matter what ROM is running as far as activating it on the network goes - so long as its not stolen they should do it. Don't expect them to mess around putting it back to stock for you though.

When I boot into recovery, the Build listed is RA-heroc-v1.6.2

I figured they wouldn't have the ability to put the stock image back on it. I'm just not sure since it's 1.5 and since I have no idea how long ago it was rooted/flashed if I can drop the latest version of whatever Hero-compatible ROM is out onto the sd card and "Flash zip from sdcard" from recovery.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

PapFinn posted:

I figured they wouldn't have the ability to put the stock image back on it. I'm just not sure since it's 1.5 and since I have no idea how long ago it was rooted/flashed if I can drop the latest version of whatever Hero-compatible ROM is out onto the sd card and "Flash zip from sdcard" from recovery.

You should be able to - just check there aren't any special radio or SPL requirements for whatever you want to flash. You can probably grab the stock image from somewhere if you really want, or a rooted version of it but I don't see a real reason when cyanogenmod works nicely.

Have a look on the wiki on http://cyanogenmod.com when it comes back up (currently down for maintenance)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

PapFinn posted:

If its already rooted, there is no sense in going to stock to go to another rom. Just slap the stable cm6 on your sd and flash. Oddly enough, it looks like you've got the newest RA recovery on there. But an old rear end rom. Quick search suggests it came out 12.18.09. You can still make a nandroid backup to get back to where you are. I've never gone back to my original nandroid, and at this point who knows if it works w/ the current recovery even.

I don't know much about sprint activating you, but I don't see why you can't just call and activate. Maybe ask in the Sprint thread, there are a few that work for sprint in there.

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

Thanks for the info guys. Makes me feel better about the purchase. I'll update the ROM tomorrow and try again to activate it online.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Are you guys running CM6 on the Hero not getting a lot of force closes? I seem to get one on one app or another at least once a day, something that never really happened on most of the 1.6 ROMs I ran before this.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
MIUI is making leaps and bounds weekly it seems, big UI changes more or less every release and definitely moving to a more iPhone alike model with the latest changes to the settings pages for apps but to me it's the most coherent custom UI for Android that I've seen.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

dphi posted:

Are you guys running CM6 on the Hero not getting a lot of force closes? I seem to get one on one app or another at least once a day, something that never really happened on most of the 1.6 ROMs I ran before this.

I mostly get FC when I'm first loading.. and its more that would you like to fc or wait message. If i tell it to wait it finishes w/e it is doing. But this is mostly when I'm impatient and don't let the phone fully boot.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Got an interesting phone call today and wanted to get you guys opinion on it.

I run a small electronics repair business in Albany, NY. Most of my business is cell phone, laptop, gaming console repair, etc. I've been doing it for about 5 years now and I'm building a pretty good reputation. A certain group must have heard about me and called me this morning. From what he explained to me, it's basically a company that roots android phones for retailers to sell because of the obvious added features rooting brings. He seemed most interested in Android Wifi Tether.

He said they do hundreds of these a week, and that they used to outsource it but they are looking for local talent (me, I guess, haha) to do the grind work and just root phones like crazy all week. He even said if a few get bricked along the way, no harm done.

I was totally unaware that a market existed for selling rooted phones to retailers. Apparently they do this on a large scale.

Between here and XDA, I think I have a pretty good source of knowledge. Who knows, maybe after a while I might be able to contribute to the cause.

tl;dr: Opportunity to make money simply rooting phones in large volume. What do you guys think? What advice would you give me going forward with this company?

For example, one of the things I'm curious about is how people get activated when they are sold a rooted phone, or does rooting only interfere when they is a custom ROM installed?

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

I've been randomly creating sound themes from Nintendo NSF files and using them on my phone. I was thinking about doing some more but I was curious as to a good application to allow me to easily switch sound packs. I've got quick profiles pro which would be perfect it wouldn't crash every time with the latest Cyanogen 6 (on my OG Droid.) Does anyone else have suggestions? If this becomes popular enough I'd also like to be able to find an easy medium to put these out too, whether to the community or to the market.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

yamdankee posted:

Got an interesting phone call today and wanted to get you guys opinion on it.

I run a small electronics repair business in Albany, NY. Most of my business is cell phone, laptop, gaming console repair, etc. I've been doing it for about 5 years now and I'm building a pretty good reputation. A certain group must have heard about me and called me this morning. From what he explained to me, it's basically a company that roots android phones for retailers to sell because of the obvious added features rooting brings. He seemed most interested in Android Wifi Tether.

He said they do hundreds of these a week, and that they used to outsource it but they are looking for local talent (me, I guess, haha) to do the grind work and just root phones like crazy all week. He even said if a few get bricked along the way, no harm done.

I was totally unaware that a market existed for selling rooted phones to retailers. Apparently they do this on a large scale.

Between here and XDA, I think I have a pretty good source of knowledge. Who knows, maybe after a while I might be able to contribute to the cause.

tl;dr: Opportunity to make money simply rooting phones in large volume. What do you guys think? What advice would you give me going forward with this company?

For example, one of the things I'm curious about is how people get activated when they are sold a rooted phone, or does rooting only interfere when they is a custom ROM installed?

Wasn't there some concern about the big cell companies eventually cracking down on data usage? I don't know whether or not Verizon can tell when I tether on my rooted Droid but I have a feeling that one of these days I'm going to see an extra charge on my bill or they're going to start slapping me we data usage restraints.

For you I would say go for it, for the company that wants you to do it, I would think that the big guys are going to start doing everything they can to nickel and dime people who tether with their phones, rooted or not.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
There's no problem activating a rooted phone or one with a custom ROM (so long as it has a clean ESN, i.e. was never reported lost or stolen). There's nothing illegal or shady about rooting, it just technically voids the manufacturer's warranty. With unrevoked working on so many phones and similar one click root options available for others it sounds like a pretty easy job.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Neurophonic posted:

MIUI is making leaps and bounds weekly it seems, big UI changes more or less every release and definitely moving to a more iPhone alike model with the latest changes to the settings pages for apps but to me it's the most coherent custom UI for Android that I've seen.

Definitely. I've been using it the past couple days and I don't have any complaints. The new settings UI is pretty great.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mogomra posted:

Definitely. I've been using it the past couple days and I don't have any complaints. The new settings UI is pretty great.

I'll give it another try in a week or two, probably.

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

yamdankee posted:

I'm working on this right now. I have Cyanogen running on the hero now and I have called sprint and have activated the phone on their end. They want me to run a Update Profile in the Settings->About Phone menu but I don't have any such option. I found a thread on XDA that seems to indicate this is just an option stripped from Cyanogen, so I am trying to get a different ROM on there. I'm having issues with that, but I'm slowly working through them I think. I tried a Sense ROM but it just keeps getting stuck at the HTC screen. I'm going back to Cyanogen to see if it's just that particular ROM.

I'm starting to ramble, but as far as Sprint goes, I don't think they care if the phone has been rooted, pre-owned or anything else. They have gone out of their way to help me get this working.

(As I was typing this, Cyanogen started booting up, so it was just an issue with that ROM I guess. If anyone has a link to a Hero compatible ROM that gives me the option to Refresh the user profile, I would certainly appreciate it. It would save me the time of stumbling around XDA like a moron.)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

PapFinn posted:

I'm working on this right now. I have Cyanogen running on the hero now and I have called sprint and have activated the phone on their end. They want me to run a Update Profile in the Settings->About Phone menu but I don't have any such option. I found a thread on XDA that seems to indicate this is just an option stripped from Cyanogen, so I am trying to get a different ROM on there. I'm having issues with that, but I'm slowly working through them I think. I tried a Sense ROM but it just keeps getting stuck at the HTC screen. I'm going back to Cyanogen to see if it's just that particular ROM.

I'm starting to ramble, but as far as Sprint goes, I don't think they care if the phone has been rooted, pre-owned or anything else. They have gone out of their way to help me get this working.

(As I was typing this, Cyanogen started booting up, so it was just an issue with that ROM I guess. If anyone has a link to a Hero compatible ROM that gives me the option to Refresh the user profile, I would certainly appreciate it. It would save me the time of stumbling around XDA like a moron.)

Use Fresh Hero 2.4.0 to update your PRL. Just make a nandroid image once you've gotten it installed. When you update the PRL, it will keep after you wipe and re-flash cm6 (or go to your cm6 nandroid). You can rename the nandroid folder, just keep it to alpha-numeric (no spaces).

While your at it, you can update your radio as well. Radios seem to be geographically independent as to how well they work. What works best in Colorado, might not be the best one in California for instance.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Zero The Hero posted:

Cyanogen isn't on the Droid 2, is it? Is there any particular reason? It looks like there's not much Droid 2 development going on.

No cm6, but that second bit is wrong. There is a lot of development on the d2 and dx, look into incognito, it's a blurless rom image and works fantastically. There are also a bunch of themed options available, just read up on it.

I kind of like the fact that cm isn't available on the droids, its gotten me to read and learn about the rest of the mod community instead of just installing the one everyone uses and forget about it. Some of the themes and workarounds are awesome.

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

deong posted:

Use Fresh Hero 2.4.0 to update your PRL. Just make a nandroid image once you've gotten it installed. When you update the PRL, it will keep after you wipe and re-flash cm6 (or go to your cm6 nandroid). You can rename the nandroid folder, just keep it to alpha-numeric (no spaces).

While your at it, you can update your radio as well. Radios seem to be geographically independent as to how well they work. What works best in Colorado, might not be the best one in California for instance.

This worked like a charm. I'm currently getting the google apps installed on there. I assume it's just CM6 that doesn't include them as any other ROM I've had on there prompted me to set up a google account from the beginning.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out getting this working. I really appreciate it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

PapFinn posted:

This worked like a charm. I'm currently getting the google apps installed on there. I assume it's just CM6 that doesn't include them as any other ROM I've had on there prompted me to set up a google account from the beginning.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out getting this working. I really appreciate it.

Yea, I don't understand why but I think Cyanogen was the only rom cooker to get a C&D from google. The workaround was to keep gapps out of the rom.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
gently caress, I really need some help. Evo with root with the newest Fresh and my Pandora and last.FM is still having random skipping songs issue, and pausing. On the Pandora website it says that the OTA update sprint putout fixes the audio quality problem, but I can't seem to find a fix for the random skipping and pausing of songs, it does it randomly after 5 songs, and then it does it over and over. I have been trying to find some help with this for awhile to no avail.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

deong posted:

Yea, I don't understand why but I think Cyanogen was the only rom cooker to get a C&D from google. The workaround was to keep gapps out of the rom.

Probably because it's the most well-known and widely used

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
I've finally decided to root my Motorola Droid running Froyo 2.2 (build FRG22D).
.... then I realized Universal Androot won't work with FRG22D, but does work with FRG01B.

What's the easiest way to roll back to this update so I can use Androot? Or is this not possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
So I haven't really played with custom stuff since CM6 came out. Any new poo poo for the Nexus One?