Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I can tell you that DNS66 definitely doesn't block YouTube ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
People keep talking about no ads YouTube. I hate YouTube ads. How do I stop them?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

People keep talking about no ads YouTube. I hate YouTube ads. How do I stop them?

Subscribe to Google play music or YouTube premium or something?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

https://github.com/TeamNewPipe/NewPipe/releases

YouTube app without ads.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

sourdough posted:

Subscribe to Google play music or YouTube premium or something?

This. I share a Family account for Play music with the family which eases the cost and brings the benefit of no ads at all to everyone. It is really nice.

That and YouTube TV since screw paying for cable TV. (And I have an actually good Comcast deal right now for Just internet which is kinda crazy).

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Newpipe is good.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Newpipe is awesome, but does it properly do subscriptions yet?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Not really a rooting question, but I don't think it really belongs in the Android thread either?

I bought an unlocked Galaxy S9 on Swappa, but it ended up being a MetroPCS phone instead, which is extremely annoying.

I know I could get a refund, probably, but I also know that there's literally no difference besides software between carrier models, and I could just as easily flash the U1 firmware on it.

I'd also be fine with getting the T-Mobile (my carrier) firmware on it, but for some reason, when I put my sim card in the phone won't load that firmware. Is it because it's MetroPCS, which works just fine onj T-Mobile? If I put in a Verizon SIM, or something, would it then install Verizon bloatware, and then switch to T-Mobile when I put my sim card back in it?

Alternatively, does anyone know anywhere good to download the S9 U1 (stock, no bloatware) firmware from? Everything I'm finding wants me to pay to sign up which I am by no means willing to do.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Putting the sim card in won't change the firmware of the phone or install any software, it should only update the APN settings.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

elmer chud posted:

Putting the sim card in won't change the firmware of the phone or install any software, it should only update the APN settings.

I've literally seen it happen dozens of times. I work at T-Mobile and when I put a SIM card in someone's Sprint/ATT/whatever S8/S9 it reboots and turns back on with the T-Mobile splash screen instead. It was included in the November security update, I believe.

What I don't know is why my MetroPCS (which works fine, it's more just principle) S9 isn't doing it, and I'm wondering if it's because MetroPCS and T-Mobile are considered too 'similar' for the phone to bother? I dunno.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Daily Forecast posted:

I've literally seen it happen dozens of times. I work at T-Mobile and when I put a SIM card in someone's Sprint/ATT/whatever S8/S9 it reboots and turns back on with the T-Mobile splash screen instead. It was included in the November security update, I believe.

What I don't know is why my MetroPCS (which works fine, it's more just principle) S9 isn't doing it, and I'm wondering if it's because MetroPCS and T-Mobile are considered too 'similar' for the phone to bother? I dunno.

MetroPCS is T-Mobile's prepaid service provider so it's probably that they're basically the same thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

I thought that only worked on first boot, where it essentially married the phone to the carrier whose SIM was in it when it first powered on? I'll admit I'm half remembering how it worked and I'm almost positive it was weird with Samsungs even then. Even then my information has got to be four or five years out of date at this point so I'd love to hear how it actually works.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

I thought that only worked on first boot, where it essentially married the phone to the carrier whose SIM was in it when it first powered on? I'll admit I'm half remembering how it worked and I'm almost positive it was weird with Samsungs even then. Even then my information has got to be four or five years out of date at this point so I'd love to hear how it actually works.

It's actually pretty rad and their decision to do this made me like Samsung a lot more. It's not first boot, it's any time you insert a different carrier's SIM card into a recentish Samsung flagship (S8, S9, Note8, Note9, mid-range poo poo like the J series don't do this though) that'll make the phone power off, reboot into a sort of blue splash screen with a loading bar, and then when that finishes it powers back on with, say, for example, the T-Mobile splash screen and bloatware installed and the (again, for example) Sprint stuff gets uninstalled. All S8/9 and Note8/9s are the exact same model, just with different carrier software to allow certain features like VoLTE, carrier aggregation, Wi-Fi calling, etc. It allows you to take your unlocked carrier phone with you when/if you switch. The carrier agnostic model from Samsung direct doesn't do this because it doesn't need to.

So that's why I'm thinking that maybe the phone won't do it because MetroPCS and TMO are p much the same thing, and maybe I can force it by scrounging someone's deactivated ATT sim or something from work and then putting my T-Mobile sim back in.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
I'm having a hard time finding the proper entry point of this multi-year thread, so please forgive me if this has been addressed: Where should I go to learn how to get rid of bloatware (and remove Bixby's eavesdropping rear end) on my Samsung S9? Is there a place that walks me through that at a relatively moron-friendly level, or is that just wishful thinking? AT&T is my provider if that's important.

Note: I was in prison for 5 years and when I got out my mom handed me this crazy futuristic sci-fi phone, so I'm way over my head with all this (but half a decade gone I can still spot loving bloatware a mile away) and would definitely appreciate any help.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Christoph posted:

I'm having a hard time finding the proper entry point of this multi-year thread, so please forgive me if this has been addressed: Where should I go to learn how to get rid of bloatware (and remove Bixby's eavesdropping rear end) on my Samsung S9? Is there a place that walks me through that at a relatively moron-friendly level, or is that just wishful thinking? AT&T is my provider if that's important.

Note: I was in prison for 5 years and when I got out my mom handed me this crazy futuristic sci-fi phone, so I'm way over my head with all this (but half a decade gone I can still spot loving bloatware a mile away) and would definitely appreciate any help.

1. update Bixby
2. turn it off (option will be right there after you get through the initial bixby setup)
3. install bxActions, and the default is that the bixby button will now launch Google Assistant instead, which is at least ten thousand percent better.
4. install Package Disabler Pro (you gotta buy it, but I think it's worth it because I noticed my battery life going through the roof after I picked the "disable all bloatware" option)
5. install a custom launcher like Nova or Lean Launcher or Pixel Launcher or whatever.
6. install Android Messages and Contacts and Gboard, set as default
7. congrats, you now have the best phone.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Thank you so much!

If I restart my phone, do I have to have Package Disabler turn off the bloatware again?

edit: Package Disabler says it disabled 72 packages, but when I go to the screen where it shows me what's disabled, nothing is there :confused:

edit 2: I think I'm one of the unlucky ones that the program doesn't work for. Judging by the reviews for the program, that happens to like 50% of buyers.

Christoph fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 1, 2018

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Just bought a new Galaxy S4 and its on android 4.3 and I can't get it to update to 5.0. Would rooting this phone be a good way to upgrade to lollipop?

Also to the guy above; package disabler used to work great for me with previous galaxy S4's but nowadays it doesn't work for me at all either :(

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Looks like you can get Nougat if you flash LineageOS on there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Would it be possible to root an android device and install a normal non-phone Linux distro? I’ve got an old Moto G4 with a failing screen, and if I got a micro USB to USB/Ethernet hub it seems like I might be able to use it for a Pi Hole for $20 instead of $50-60 or whatever a full Pi kit would end up being. I know Debian Noroot exists, but I’m thinking that if I rooted and flashed to something lightweight with nothing but Bash, Pihole, SSH capabilities, and the dependencies for those it would be more power efficient and have less possible errors down the line.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would it be possible to root an android device and install a normal non-phone Linux distro? I’ve got an old Moto G4 with a failing screen, and if I got a micro USB to USB/Ethernet hub it seems like I might be able to use it for a Pi Hole for $20 instead of $50-60 or whatever a full Pi kit would end up being. I know Debian Noroot exists, but I’m thinking that if I rooted and flashed to something lightweight with nothing but Bash, Pihole, SSH capabilities, and the dependencies for those it would be more power efficient and have less possible errors down the line.

Yes but it may take some work. This article has links to installing inside android and also some for replacing android on the phone:
https://www.androidauthority.com/install-ubuntu-on-your-android-smartphone-765408/
Ubuntu has support for a few android devices but the Moto G4 isn't one of them:
https://docs.ubuntu.com/phone/en/devices/devices

If you leave a PC running all of the time you could just setup a virtual machine for pi hole as well.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I do have a PC that's on all of the time, so I was thinking about doing Docker, but then it would never go to sleep and it's my gaming computer so it would probably pull a lot more power than I would like.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I do have a PC that's on all of the time, so I was thinking about doing Docker, but then it would never go to sleep and it's my gaming computer so it would probably pull a lot more power than I would like.

You could install this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.meefik.linuxdeploy&hl=en

Install whatever distro then set up a docker container

https://github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole/

No clue if this will actually work tho

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not aware of any recent phones having usable standard Linux ROMs. I recall they were created for a few of the early models, but the generic ability to use a "normal" distro in a chroot on top of a normal Android system satisfied enough people's needs that those projects didn't keep going.

That said, the list of accessories you'd need to turn an old phone in to a network appliance is the same as you'd need to use a Pi Zero other than a dirt cheap SD card. Assuming you have a spare SD card floating around it's a $5 difference to use a known and well documented appliance versus having to hack something together on a platform almost no one else is using.

I get what you're wanting to do but as a general rule any time there's a Raspberry Pi based appliance and someone asks if they can do it cheaper with something else, unless that something else is a NAS or server they already have running 24/7 the answer is almost certainly no unless you put no value on your own time. Even if you have the NAS/server the time savings of having an appliance distro deal with all the back-end setup for you is often worth it, unless the software in question has Docker images or ready-made packages for your OS that handle all of that for you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I mean, it seems like all I would need would be the microUSB to USB / Ethernet hub, which would be maybe $25.

Fake edit: Apparently a Pi 0 is like $5? And with the other poo poo from Microcenter it’s $14 plus tax. Not including Ethernet cable and microUSB, but I already have those and would need them anyway. That changed things, I was thinking it would be $50-70.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah the Rpi Zero is very cheap, there's even a Rpi Zero W wifi model for $10. The zero is single core but it's going to be plenty for running a little dns server thing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, seems like it. Super low power consumption, too. I've already got enough power drain between two desktops, the TVs, the lights, and the AC in this house. Doing some napkin math it looks like the zero would have around 300-400 watt hours per month headless and with nothing but a USB to ethernet adapter, which is very nice. Something like a buck or two per month. I figure I'll just SSH into it from my desktop when I set it up.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Christoph posted:

Thank you so much!

If I restart my phone, do I have to have Package Disabler turn off the bloatware again?

edit: Package Disabler says it disabled 72 packages, but when I go to the screen where it shows me what's disabled, nothing is there :confused:

edit 2: I think I'm one of the unlucky ones that the program doesn't work for. Judging by the reviews for the program, that happens to like 50% of buyers.

I ended up buying a galaxy s9 and the packager disabler pro app in my library wouldn't work. Turns out you have to rebuy it in the app store for it to work I guess. Definitely worth it though.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm trying to use an S7 (SM-930V, so the Verizon version) that I had lying around as a podcast and music player. I successfully rooted it using these instructions, but the battery drained quick and it runs kind of slow. All I wanted was to strip all the garbage that wasn't related to Pocket Casts and GPM. Are there any better ways to do it out there? I'm assuming not because Verizon locked this thing down so much. (I also might just suck at following instructions and need to try following that thread again).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Read the thread title. Seriously it isn't worth mucking about with, just hide the apps you don't want to use.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Seems dumb as hell to me that Half-Life 2 only runs if you have a Shield. I bet my GPD XD Plus could handle it on low settings. Any way around that restriction?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm at my wit's end with my g5+. The Oreo update has caused a lot of issues. The only fix on offer is an ineffective "factory reset". In fact, I can only get one voicemail or missed call notification before it stops giving either. The only fix is another factory reset!

At this point I'm not sure if I should try rooting it to run nougat, pie, or even some else's Oreo build.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Can somebody point me to the S10 posts? CLAM DOWN decided that my thread was no beuno but I don't see any posts..

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

revmoo posted:

Can somebody point me to the S10 posts? CLAM DOWN decided that my thread was no beuno but I don't see any posts..

Post a question about root here instead of making a new thread for a question about root?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

sourdough posted:

Post a question about root here instead of making a new thread for a question about root?

How do I root a Samsung Galaxy S10?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

revmoo posted:

why

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

revmoo posted:

Unfortunately you can't even root the S9 yet

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you want a phone that you can root, buy a pixel.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Unfortunately you can't even root the S9 yet

Seriously? I figured buying a flagship would guarantee the ability to root.

I guess I'll ship it back, I'm not really interested in a non-rootable phone.

EDIT: I don't speak the lingo, but doesn't this mean you can root the S9: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s9-plus/how-to/guide-root-s9-oem-fix-t3763974

?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

revmoo posted:

Seriously? I figured buying a flagship would guarantee the ability to root.

I guess I'll ship it back, I'm not really interested in a non-rootable phone.

EDIT: I don't speak the lingo, but doesn't this mean you can root the S9: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s9-plus/how-to/guide-root-s9-oem-fix-t3763974

?
Samsung used to be really good about at least letting us nerds play, but devices with Snapdragon SoCs have had locked bootloaders across the board for a few versions now, meaning that any rooting has to depend on security flaws in the stock OS that are likely to be patched with OTA updates. Basically think iPhone jailbreaking. Those instructions are for Exynos models, which AFAIK are still largely unlockable.

If you are in the US and didn't import your device, it's a Snapdragon.

If you care about root, an unlocked or officially unlockable bootloader should be a key search criteria when looking at new phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

wolrah posted:

Samsung used to be really good about at least letting us nerds play, but devices with Snapdragon SoCs have had locked bootloaders across the board for a few versions now, meaning that any rooting has to depend on security flaws in the stock OS that are likely to be patched with OTA updates. Basically think iPhone jailbreaking. Those instructions are for Exynos models, which AFAIK are still largely unlockable.

If you are in the US and didn't import your device, it's a Snapdragon.

If you care about root, an unlocked or officially unlockable bootloader should be a key search criteria when looking at new phones.

Thanks I appreciate the info