Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepee
Apr 29, 2010
Finally rooted my HTC Magic 32B (which I still refuse to call a "MyTouch") from stock Android 1.6 to CyanogenMod6/2.2. The 32B is still way too hilariously underpowered for Android's processor/memory demands, even with any supposed Froyo performance improvements. New CoolIris-crippled Gallery app is especially a pain. Any way to get simpler gallery apps that can replace the default Android Gallery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Try using Gallery 3D from the market.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.
Would this article fit anywhere in the OP?

http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

While the OP of this thread is really informational, this articled helped clarify some things not in the OP.

BathroomTile fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 4, 2010

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
Sure I'll put it up there.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

beepee posted:

(which I still refuse to call a "MyTouch")
Alright, I'll ask: why?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

beepee posted:

Finally rooted my HTC Magic 32B (which I still refuse to call a "MyTouch") from stock Android 1.6 to CyanogenMod6/2.2. The 32B is still way too hilariously underpowered for Android's processor/memory demands, even with any supposed Froyo performance improvements. New CoolIris-crippled Gallery app is especially a pain. Any way to get simpler gallery apps that can replace the default Android Gallery?

For me the 2d Gallery is even slower than the standard CM6 3d one.

There are lots of speed improvements between the CM6.0 and 6.1RC though, it'd be worth a flash to see if it helps. Also you pretty much need compcache enabled, don't think it is by default.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I installed CM onto a T-Mobile myTouch (32A) using this guide. Wiped before I installed the update.zip. The phone tries to boot and when it starts to draw the picture of the android guy it freezes. I took the battery out and rewiped and reinstalled, twice. It keeps freezing at the android guy. Am I supposed to be using a specific recovery or something? That guide mentioned using a certain recovery but I'm using the recovery from a guide I posted last.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

yamdankee posted:

I installed CM onto a T-Mobile myTouch (32A) using this guide. Wiped before I installed the update.zip. The phone tries to boot and when it starts to draw the picture of the android guy it freezes. I took the battery out and rewiped and reinstalled, twice. It keeps freezing at the android guy. Am I supposed to be using a specific recovery or something? That guide mentioned using a certain recovery but I'm using the recovery from a guide I posted last.

So you used recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.7.0H.img right?

It should work okay but I'd grab a copy from http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/2327-cyanogenmod-61-for-ds-they-said-it-couldnt-do-that-v610-rc1-10272010/ - make sure you get the correct one, I think you need Ebi1 (but check it out on the wiki first http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=How_to_determine_if_you_have_32A_or_32B)

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
No, I used recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.7.0G.img because it has radio 2.22. The links you gave me say to use that recovery. I don't need Ebi1 according to the wiki. This is weird, not sure what to do.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

So you're 32B then?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

yamdankee posted:

No, I used recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.7.0G.img because it has radio 2.22. The links you gave me say to use that recovery. I don't need Ebi1 according to the wiki. This is weird, not sure what to do.

Are you sure you used gapps mini rather than full?

beepee posted:

Didn't you already get the OTA 2.2 update? People were raving about it.

beepee
Apr 29, 2010

Wojtek posted:

Alright, I'll ask: why?

Besides sounding like the intro to a bad "your mom" joke, I also hate saying "my 'MyTouch'"; the repetition grates on me.

Civil posted:

Didn't you already get the OTA 2.2 update? People were raving about it.

Got it, but I specifically wanted WiFi hotspot functionality, which requires root since it comes carrier-crippled on the T-Mo unit. Mostly now the 32B is my pocket hotspot, with my iPod Touch as a primary communications device. (Gotta jailbreak that.) WiFi tethering comes at a price, though: 1% battery per minute. Oof.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
I'm trying to root my new Captivate using methods in the OP and it never seems to go to recovery. It just sits in this MTP Application forever. It's not locked up, it just doesn't do anything.

Anyone know what to do?

edit: got it...apparently a greyed checkbox with a check in it does not mean checked :effort:

Wojtek fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 4, 2010

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
What do you guys think of this?

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/8704-my-cyanogen-froyo-22-hybrid/page__gopid__84117#entry84117

It doesn't seem like what he's saying should work. I thought Rosie etc. required the Sense framework to function?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

chippy posted:

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/8704-my-cyanogen-froyo-22-hybrid/page__gopid__84117#entry84117

It doesn't seem like what he's saying should work. I thought Rosie etc. required the Sense framework to function?

A lot of them that require the Sense framework don't actually need the functions, just have a sorta "Is this installed?" check. People have been porting Sense Music and Camera to CyanogenMod since the CM4 days. I'm not sure about Rosie or Weather Clock, but it's possible they've become self contained enough to do this.

Or he could be completely full of poo poo like a lot of the internet.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

dissss posted:

So you're 32B then?

My FASTBOOT screen looks like this:

Sapphire PVT 32A SHIP S-ON G
HBOOT-1.33.0013 (SAPP31000)
CPLD- 13
RADIO-2.22.23.02

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

chippy posted:

Rosie.apk can't function without a lot of the Sense apps/widgets so I don't know how he got that to work.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

dissss posted:

There are lots of speed improvements between the CM6.0 and 6.1RC though, it'd be worth a flash to see if it helps. Also you pretty much need compcache enabled, don't think it is by default.
As a Hero user who just flashed to CM6.1RC about a week ago, I agree with you about the Gallery 3D app. I find it just as usable now as the old 2D gallery or JustPictures. I'm a little impressed.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

chippy posted:

Who in their right mind would rather have Rosie than ADW or LP?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

heat posted:

People who like Sense widgets, or the themes.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Beats me to be honest. I don't miss Rosie at all, but I'm still not down with the stock dialler/phonebook, or any of their replacements. I'd love for someone to get those working.

edit: That rabbit fella is now claiming he has those working as well. Interesting. Seems weird that he hasn't actually posted a ROM or anything though.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

For those of you still stuck on G1 or MT3G, apparently there is a new radio update that somehow gives an extra 15MB of RAM to the OS. Unfortunately, CM6.1 doesn't work with it yet. http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/8899-rc1-not-compatible-with-new-radio-from-tmo-221-ota/ I can't wait for this to be resolved - I recently upgraded from Dwang to CM6 and am loving it except for the speed. Multiple gmail sync rules so hard.

On a side note, does anyone have any experience swapping out a G1 keyboard? I've got some stuck keys and I'd like to keep this phone going for at least another year or so before I take the plunge and get a new one. Between a keyboard swap and an extra 15MB of RAM from the new radio I think I'll be able to pull it off without going mad.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Rooted the wife's Mytouch Slide last night using this tutorial, which is pretty solid:
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/5295-updated-10-28-10-ultran00b-full-install-guide-new-gapps-cm-61/
The 6.1RC has her over the moon, compared to the sense 2.1, and it runs fast as poo poo on her phone, even with the live wallpaper enabled (she likes the grass).

I was hoping since it was a HTC phone, they'd get 2.2 out for it earlier, but she was tired of waiting, and is very happy with the new ROM.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Civil posted:

Rooted the wife's Mytouch Slide last night using this tutorial, which is pretty solid:
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/5295-updated-10-28-10-ultran00b-full-install-guide-new-gapps-cm-61/
The 6.1RC has her over the moon, compared to the sense 2.1, and it runs fast as poo poo on her phone, even with the live wallpaper enabled (she likes the grass).

I was hoping since it was a HTC phone, they'd get 2.2 out for it earlier, but she was tired of waiting, and is very happy with the new ROM.

I held off because of the bluetooth and wifi issues, etc. with 6.0. How have those areas been performing for you?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Finally rooted my N1 after discovering the SuperOneClick method :woop:

I had been planning on rooting for a while but the method I originally found (without unlocking the bootloader via the official method) involved some crazy poo poo like trimming a piece of plastic on the battery so that the microsd card could be inserted/pulled while the phone was powered on :supaburn:

I haven't gone so far as to install a custom rom though :ohdear:

Short of installing a custom rom is there a way to enable radio reception on the N1?

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 4, 2010

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Sizzlechest posted:

I held off because of the bluetooth and wifi issues, etc. with 6.0. How have those areas been performing for you?

I know wifi works perfectly, but she hasn't tested bluetooth. I can report back tonight if you're interested.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

chippy posted:

Beats me to be honest. I don't miss Rosie at all, but I'm still not down with the stock dialler/phonebook, or any of their replacements. I'd love for someone to get those working.

edit: That rabbit fella is now claiming he has those working as well. Interesting. Seems weird that he hasn't actually posted a ROM or anything though.

Yeah, he seems pretty shady. Makes no mention of how he did it because of "time constraints".

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm still having issues with updating the CM 6.1 RC packs on my OG Droid via Rom Manager. Each time I've tried, the google apps install fails despite it being downloaded and I have to resort to a manual "Install via Zip" method and make sure the 1025 hdpi is manually installed.

Other than that, CM6.1 RC3 is awesome on my OG Droid

Only wipe I did was when I first put on nightly 160. Then I installed RC1 > RC2 > RC3 without wipes.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

JayKay posted:

I'm still having issues with updating the CM 6.1 RC packs on my OG Droid via Rom Manager. Each time I've tried, the google apps install fails despite it being downloaded and I have to resort to a manual "Install via Zip" method and make sure the 1025 hdpi is manually installed.

Other than that, CM6.1 RC3 is awesome on my OG Droid

Only wipe I did was when I first put on nightly 160. Then I installed RC1 > RC2 > RC3 without wipes.

Clear download cache. It's corrupted occasionally, and it won't attempt a second download. He's also reverted to 9/30 pack because he thinks there's something wrong with 10/25.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

heat posted:

I really never had any issues with Rosie, but I converted to LauncherPro entirely because of the scrolling dock with swipable actions. The amount of added functionality that gives me is too much to pass up.

I didn't really like ADW. I could never understand their "dock" and just found it to be an altogether awkward launcher.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Finally rooted my N1 after discovering the SuperOneClick method :woop:

I had been planning on rooting for a while but the method I originally found (without unlocking the bootloader via the official method) involved some crazy poo poo like trimming a piece of plastic on the battery so that the microsd card could be inserted/pulled while the phone was powered on :supaburn:

I haven't gone so far as to install a custom rom though :ohdear:

Short of installing a custom rom is there a way to enable radio reception on the N1?
Nope,
the only way to use the fm radio is on a custom ROM.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.
So I was thinking today, is there any reliable way to let my 360 connect to live via my laptop which would be using my phone as the internet? I know I can use ICS and wireless, but the laptop is picky on weather or not it wants to pick up my phone as an access point, and I am looking for more of a direct way(like say tethering with whats built into CM6). If this isn't possible just say so, it is no big deal, just curiosity really.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sizzlechest posted:

Wi-Fi is just fine. Bluetooth, not so much. It's still at the same situation where A2DP works but not call audio. Cyanogen wants and will probably fix Bluetooth himself before 6.1 stable for the Slide because of his wife.

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004
Apparently if you try to update the HTC software via an OTA after you root your evo it causes the phone to freak out and not work with an error message

good thing it goes away, but too bad that the wifi tether doesn't work with the default rom.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Is there any EVO rom that is Froyo, has HID Bluetooth support and sock HDMI working?

toby
Dec 4, 2002

This is a rooted-people kind of question, I think: does anybody have wifi or bluetooth tethering working with any of the Galaxy S phones?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

toby posted:

This is a rooted-people kind of question, I think: does anybody have wifi or bluetooth tethering working with any of the Galaxy S phones?

wifi tethering works great on my Vibrant. Check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=756804

No clue about bluetooth tethering though.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Is there any explanation of what the different CPU governers do? I'm trying to work out how to effectively set up SetCPU to squeeze a bit more of my battery without compromising performance, but I can't really see much in the way of a manual or guide anywhere. Also, I thought Android scaled the CPU frequency according to load anyway?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

quadratic posted:

wifi tethering works great on my Vibrant. Check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=756804

No clue about bluetooth tethering though.

Guh...is there anyway to get wifi tethering with the Epic other than flashing a ROM? Last time I tried to do that (i think it was this exact thing...) my phone got hosed up and I had to re-flash and wipe it with stock.

I use PDANet now, because it's still better than lovely hotel wireless, but I get the impression PDANet isn't that good/fast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones
For the G2 and MT4G which still don't have permaroot, is there any reason you couldn't download the Wireless/Wired Tether for Root Users apk, temproot with VISIONary, and then tether away?