Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I've been using CM6.0 RC1 for my CDMA Hero for a while now, its been alright. Updated to the 6.1 RC1 and holy poo poo. My batter drains so fast, my phone gets so drat hot at times (I've caught it at 45+*C). I have no idea what was changed but its made it hell of a lot worse. I am going to redownload and flash it again. This was all with the default kernel.

I am confused on what the best kernel and settings to use to get the best battery and performance. I know I should use setCPU, colin's batter tweak but I am generally lost on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

utonium posted:

Try this most recent Stable kernel here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=756774

Use either SetCPU or Collin's battery tweak, not both. I wouldn't run without SetCPU personally. For the main profile I use 245 min, 710 max, set to ondemand. I have a Screen Off profile enabled with 245 min/max, also ondemand.

How can I tell if my Hero's top speed is 691 or 768? I thought you had to flash the kernel to see if it can reach 768 or not. Want to make sure before I do anything.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
One thing that has really been bugging me ever since I switched to CM6 is the battery usage reading. On any sense rom, my battery usage would always have the phone idle and phone signal being top two then display would always be third. Since switching to CM6, it is the other way around.

Today I barely touched my phone. 8 Hours it has been off the charger. Battery is at 63%. Battery usage says Display is at 35%, Cell Standby is 27% and Phone Idle is 25%. Clicking on display will say that the screen has been on for 7.5 minutes. Meaning I have had the display on for 7.5 minutes in the past 8 hours. How on earth does 7.5 minutes of display time account for 35% of the battery drain? I have the brightness set for auto.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

dissss posted:

How is your overall battery life?

Sense and AOSP include different things under the display heading and its normal for display to be way at the top of the list. That said yours does sound extreme, but I think you should do a few cycles to see it settles down before worrying.

When I first started using CM6 my battery life was okay, I could have the battery last a good 18-20 hours. I haven't been texting a whole lot so I bet the battery would be a whole lot worse if I was. I've been using CM6 for like 3 months now, it is totally normal for me to have my display always at the top in any situation. Even if the display is on for 30 minutes for an entire day, it'll be at the top.

Since upgrading to CM6.1 RC1 C Hero, my battery life seems to have gotten a lot worse, phone heats up hell of a lot more. I have had the same high display usage on 6.0 and 6.1.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

hatersg2haet posted:

I can't find a rom that will work on my Sprint HTC Hero without breaking something. Either visual voicemail, or text messaging, currently using Cyanogenmod but the thing runs pretty slow and laggy it feels sometimes, even thought I oced it.

From my experience that is how the Hero is going to be. Cyanogen has all the neat features but my phone can't handle it. The Hero has slow downs for almost every rom I have tried. I cannot get it to be lag-free and smooth for me.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I'm planning on switching to the EVO Shift whenever it is released. I know I won't have root access for a while, is there anyway I can restore my app data from my current phone without Titanium Backup?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I'm not sure what has happened to my Evo Shift. Before I rooted my phone, the battery could seriously last 36+ hours on very light usage. However once rooting, deleting bloatware and installing a few root apps, my Evo Shift barely lasts 16ish hours.

One thing I have noticed is that my phone gets hot now, I sent maybe 15 texts over the span of2 hours, had it in my pocket and I could feel that it was getting hot and the battery dropped really fast. Just now I browsed the web for maybe 2 minutes, put the phone in my pocket, drove for 10 minutes, pulled my phone out and I could feel it was hot, showed as 37*C. Battery is at 66%, 6 hours and 30 minutes off charge, battery use says display at 58% with 30 minutes on, everything else is very low.

Has rooting caused higher drain rate for anyone else?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

fishmech posted:

Do you have SetCPU installed? If you do, make sure you didn't set it to always stay overclocked.

Nope, haven't messed with overclocking yet. Just deleted some sprint apps, installed TB and wireless tether.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

fishmech posted:

Do you have wireless tether constantly enabled? Doing that sucks up a lot of power and will make the phone run hot.

My phone does get hot enough to make me think I have it running but it never is. It just feels like too much of a coincidence, battery life was fine before root, now it heats up and drains the battery big time.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Does anyone else have the Evo Shift and is disappointed with the lack of roms/modding community? Theres only a few rom makers that have updated in the past month. Even the ones that do, they barely keep a changelog which just makes me feel like they don't know what they are doing. I figured since it was another HTC phone for sprint there would be a decent attraction to it.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Is there a fix for apps that shrink when you change the LCD density?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
My god, I love taking the jump from standard modified roms to CM. Was floored when I did it on my Hero and I just took the jump on my Shift and I still am impressed. However I have an issue. Titanium Backup cannot restore my apps or data. If I attempt to restore both app and data, TB says that it failed. If I just restore the app, it says it completed, however I cannot find the app installed. What is causing this?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I've been loving CM7 on my Shift but I still have an issue with Titanium Backup. I have a Pro copy of TB but for some reason though the Fast/Auto app install isn't working. On the main screen it says "HyperShell (FAST!): YES" and then below it "Fast/Auto app install: NO(Hypershell needed)".

Updating Busybox and SU, Reinstalling TB and resetting didn't fix it. Googling has led me to practically nothing. The only thing I can think of that could possibly be causing issues is the fact that I bought the license when I was on my Hero and now I am on a Shift, however it says my license is fine and TB worked perfectly before using CM7. I was able to restore all my apps by changing the App processing mode to interactive where I was prompted to install for each app.

Also, with CM7, is it normal for the screen to turn off in 5 seconds if you just turn on the screen and leave it?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
With CM7, how can I customize LED notifications? In handcent you can change the flash frequency of the LED but it appears to be that CM7 has it's own way of controlling the LED. If I try to test the notification in handcent nothing will happen with the LED.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

Settings > CM7 Settings > Interface > LED Notifications

I should have clarified that, is there anyone I can change the frequency? Changing the setting in handcent doesn't affect it.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

When you setup and application in the LED Notification section, there's a blink rate setting. Apart from that, are you talking reminders? ie every 5 minutes it starts blinking again and plays a ringtone?

Eh? I'm in the LED Notification settings thing, if I go to misc. and find handcent, all I have is Category (Which I have no idea what its suppose to do), Flash color and Flash Test. I'm on the EVO Shift so maybe each phone doesnt have the frequency option.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Casao posted:

Blink rate is defined at a category level I believe. Make a new category (name it Handcent if that's all you want at that Blink rate) and it'll let you adjust things.

Tried it, no blink setting. There must be a several settings missing because the whole category thing is pointless at the moment. Doesn't help that googling gives me nothing on the LED settings option.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I dont know what the hell is going on but since flashing CM 7.0.3.1 for my Evo Shift I'm getting issue after issue. When I first upgraded from 7.0.2.1, every time I would attempt to open the market, I would get a white screen that closed out immediately. Cleared market's cache/data but that didn't help. I flashed gapps which fixed the issue. Now I am unable to turn wifi on, all I get is wifi saying error. However I did flash a kernel(which worked fine with 7.0.2.1) just before I noticed the wifi error, I dont think that would have affected it though. I flash CM7 again in hopes of fixing the wifi which it did but now I have the market issue back.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Is there a way to recalibrate the light sensor? On my Evo Shift running CM7 the sensor values seems too low. If I'm in my room with no light on but letting the sun in, the sensor's raw value will be 1 yet theres plenty of light in the room to see. It will read 1 as well when its pitch black and I hardly need any backlight to view the screen.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Rohaq posted:

There's something you can enable in the CM7 settings that allows you to calibrate the brightness levels based on the sensor levels. Have a dig around there.

That's what I did. Having sunlight in my room compared to being pitch black is exactly the same amount of light according to the sensor unfortunately. I'd like to have very little brightness when there is actually no light in my room and a some brightness when there is.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Does anyone have trouble sending MMS? I've got CM7 on my evo shift and its so hard to tell if I'm actually sending anything or not, the little "busy" icon will always spin. I cant tell how the upload rate is going or the progress. I've noticed a few times if I cancel the MMS and resend it, it can often finish it within 15 seconds then.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I'm interested in flashing CM7.1 RC1 on my Evo Shift but I can hardly find any feedback on it. Xda and the CM forums are really dead when it comes to RC1 and nightlies discussion on the Evo Shift. Is there some other forum I am totally missing?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

This thread on XDA looks more active than the CM forums. The Shift isn't a terribly popular phone so I wouldn't expect stellar support and that support is going to get smaller over time.

If you want great CM support, you need to have a really popular phone that's been unlocked or a Nexus phone.

I saw that thread and it wasn't all that active. I'm just surprised because the Shift isnt a lovely phone, going from the Hero to the Shift was ridiculous. I dont have any problems with the phone, I just wish I didnt have to buy a new phone in order to get an active community.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Does Titanium Backup Pro allow multiple devices? I just got an asus transformer and I copied the key text file from my phone but it doesn't appear to be seeing/approving it.

EDIT: Fixed it, I guess TB only looks at the internal "SD Card" folder for the license key.

Drevoak fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 2, 2011

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Well I have somehow messed up my asus transformer. I updated it to ICS fine, then a patch got released for ICS and applied that. With that patch I somehow lost root, I cant see the tablet when I connect it to my pc, and when I am in CWM I cannot see the SD card which has the backup images. The tablet works fine, I can boot it up and see the SD card and everything, how can I fix this? If I move the SD card backup images to the internal storage I wont be able to restore them because of where they are located right?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I need some help with my Asus Transformer. A while ago I updated it to ICS and that caused major issues for me. I flashed a rooted OTA rom, the only problem that occured is that I lost USB connection (I've switched MTP on and off, USB debugging, no luck). Shortly after there was an update for the ICS rom, I flashed that update and it made things a lot worse. The update lost me root and CWM cannot see my SD card.

So I lost root, cannot see my SD card in CWM and I cannot connect via USB to reroot it. If I move my backups to the internal "SD", is it safe to restore those backups?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

LastInLine posted:

If the recovery can see the file that's all you need to apply it.

It sure sounds like nandroiding back can't be any worse than staying where you are.

Well it looks like its bricked now. During the restore it looked like the text readouts were in weird spots and finally during the /data restore it got an error and stopped. The Transformer gets stuck during boot. I'm thinking now that I should have flashed another rom to see if it'd fix the USB issue. Not sure what to do now cuz I don't know of a way to access the internal SD to try to place a rom to flash.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

grack posted:

Does the version of CWM you have installed have the mounts option? Mounting the internal memory will often force it to switch to the external SD card.

I do have mount functions but there is no mount internal. Not sure what can be done now...

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
So I was able to fix my asus transformer. I updated to a newer CWM, flashed the default rom. It booted up fine and everything was working. I had lost root so I used the viper method 1 to reroot it. I was able to get root back, however I cannot access the CWM. When loading the CWM, the android with the warning triangle appears.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I asked this earlier and got no response. I messed my Asus Transformer up a while back and was just able to fix it. I had installed a new version of CWM on it, flashed the regular rom on it. When I went to reroot it with the viper method it worked fine. However I reboot it into recovery and it appears to have somehow corrupted itself. It can boot up fine but going into recovery just gives the Android guy with the warning triangle. I've tried googling but I'm not sure what to search for.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

hooah posted:

I can't connect my rooted Eee Transformer to my Windows 7 machine. It recognizes that it gets power from any USB port, but nothing shows up under device manager. I found drivers on ASUS's website, but none of them are installable, and since the tablet doesn't show up in Device Manager as anything, I can't install drivers that way. What's going on?

I had that same problem with several other issues tacked onto it. Try flashing another rom to see if that fixes it. I had to go through a ton of hoops because I wasn't able to flash a new rom nor revert to a backup.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

deong posted:

How do you set gvoice to be your voicemail service in CM10? I thought there was an option for 'phone', but I'm not seeing it...

Its in the actual phone application.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Does anyone here use Google Music's cloud, and how do you avoid running into the device limit that happens with constant flashing? I thought it was tied to Android ID, so I backed up and restored my ID long ago, but I'm still running into this.

Google used to have a limit of 10 devices and you could deauthorize 4 devices a year. A couple months ago they removed the deauthorization limit so you can keep removing old rom builds. Go to google music's site, under music settings it'll show all your registered devices.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Is there an quicktile option in gravitybox to disable data? The data usage option will bring up the mobile data settings which I can turn it off from there but I was hoping for a one click setting. Gravitybox otherwise has been absolutely amazing.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Tunga posted:

There's an option called "Override default tile behaviour". If you tick that for Data Usage (and soft reboot) then the tile becomes: Tap to toggle data / Long press for Data Usage.

Thanks, I tried long pressing on data usage and nothing would trigger. I just assumed data usage wasn't a switch. Switching the default behavior turns it properly into a tap/long press button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I'd like to set up Titanium Backup to be efficient as possible with backing up stuff. If I have my initial backup of all my apps is the "Redo backups for modified data" the way to maintain them? Does it just backup apps with data that has been changed since the last backup? If that is the case then I would also need another schedule to backup new and updated user apps correct?