Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Since my post in the last thread was like fifth to last before closure, I'm re-posting it, though edited to reflect the current situation:

I rooted my Epic 4G using the one click root method. It worked, I was able to get TitaniumBackup, the Superuser app, etc...but there seemed to be a weird side-effect. I have no 3G.

I had 3G service before I rooted, and maybe half a day after, but then the entire weekend and all of Monday and Tuesday I have had no 3G at all. I was in about three different places, all of which should have 3G service according to Sprint's map, so it's def. my phone and not the network.

I tried simple things like rebooting, going in and out of airplane mode, nothing worked. So I decided to use odin to go back to stock. I used the method here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=773032

Odin didn't work...it would say "FAIL" in big red letters in the first box. Now I went to boot up my phone and all I get is a screen with a little image of a phone, a little image of a computer, and a dashed line and an exclamation point between them.

I tried everything in the "troubleshooting" but odin would not flash the stock kernel.

I get these messages:
<ID:0/006> Added!
<ID:0/006> odin v.3 engine (ID 6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/006> home/h/Desktop/zImage
<ID:0/006>
<ID:0/006> Complete(Write) operation failed
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 /failed 1)

It's possible the kernel was bad, because in that thread several posters posted NEW kernels...I was afraid to try any of them, though, because there were like five new ones posted.

Then I ran odin with no pit or tar file (by accident, actually...I meant to load the "complete wipe" kernel but forgot to load the files before hitting 'start'.) This got my phone to reboot back to what it was before...which is to say, back to my rooted version. Of course, I still want to go back to stock because I am still lacking all 3G.

I have tried updating my profile/PRL, but that didn't work because they had a connection error. I tried using the SCSwitch app, but that ALSO had a connection error.

I just want to go back to stock...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It would take almost as much time to just re-download and install everything as it does to go through everything on Titanium Backup. On every single thing (ok, just the applications, still that's a lot for me) that it restores from my backup I have to click 'install,' and then click 'done' when it's done...and of course, 'install' is the left button and 'done' is the right button, so I can't even just mindlessly tap the same spot on the screen.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 21, 2010

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Despite rooting a few weeks ago, and restoring all my apps with Titanium Backup, I didn't notice until a couple days ago that NONE of my restored apps are in my Marketplace list, and therefore aren't getting updated. The only apps in the "Downloaded" area of my Marketplace are ones I downloaded after I rooted.

Is this normal or did Titanium gently caress up? Is there a way to get all my apps back in that list (other than actually re-downloading them, which I don't want to do because it will be time consuming, and will it wipe the data?)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Did you try Titanium's Repair Market Links?

Huh...well, I didn't know that existed. I went to try it and...Titanium says I don't have root privileges...the gently caress?! Obviously I do, because I used it to restore all of my apps. I got a system update like a week ago...did that somehow negate my root? I was told they generally don't...

I still have the Superuser app, and when I load it it doesn't give me any errors saying I don't have rooted privileges...what gives?!

I guess I'll have to try and re-root tonight when I get home.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

utonium posted:

When you open Superuser, do you see Titanium Backup listed? If so, tap on it, then hit Forget in the popup. Titanium Backup should ask you for root privileges again next time you start it.

Did that, and Titanium does not ask for root, it just pops up the error. Now Titanium doesn't show up in the list for Superuser at all. Also tried to "reload applications" and just got the "you need root" error again.

I DLed BusyBox, rebooted, still nothin'.

Edit: More weirdness...so I clicked on BusyBox Installer, not realizing that it wasn't really "installed" just by downloading it. I clicked to install it, and it failed. The main screen says "Your phone is rooted." When I try to install it says "The application failed, either because your device is not nand unlocked or we were unable to remount. Please use logcat at this time, blah blah blah."

So...the gently caress? Do I need to separately "NAND unlock" my phone? Rooting doesn't do that? Epic 4G, BTW.

Oh, it in my logcat after failing, there are several entries for "E/su (3009)" There are also the same thing but for 3012, 3013, 3014. If I click on them, the expanded entry says "Getting exe path failed with 13: Permission denied."

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 4, 2010

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

quadratic posted:

wifi tethering works great on my Vibrant. Check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=756804

No clue about bluetooth tethering though.

Guh...is there anyway to get wifi tethering with the Epic other than flashing a ROM? Last time I tried to do that (i think it was this exact thing...) my phone got hosed up and I had to re-flash and wipe it with stock.

I use PDANet now, because it's still better than lovely hotel wireless, but I get the impression PDANet isn't that good/fast?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So I just had to get a new Evo 4G through TEP, and it seems there's no root for the newest firmware/software? (4.24.651.1)?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

godzirraRAWR posted:

Do what I did, and sell it back to Sprint once you are eligible for their latest 'new contract and new phone' time (new every 2, or that new 18 month thing for good customers), for $150, and get the 3D for $200. Which is a better phone, and rootable. At $50.

If you aren't up anytime soon, then.. well.. gently caress.

I'm a year away from that, so I'd like to think someone will find a way to root it before then...but yargh, despite the thread title of the main Android thread, I'll go ahead and say drat you, HTC!

Say what you will about Samsung phones (which was my last one,) at least they didn't give two fucks about locking them down in anyway.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

GET ME OUT OF FYAD posted:

The OG Evo now has root on Gingerbread!

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary

A few other new devices are supported too, I believe.

Awesome...my TEP phone replacement is rooted to the max, now! Good timing, too...I have a business trip starting tomorrow and based on past experience, the hotel's wifi is poo poo and I get a better internet connection through my hotspot.

Edit: I shouldn't use Titanium Backup if I switch ROMs, right? I might go back to Fresh like on my previous Evo, or finally try out this CM7 thing people are going on about...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

Nexus Prime looks cool but I don't trust Samsung much, as rooting their phones tends to be a nightmare of incompatible hardware.

Actually, the rooting was never the hard part...in fact, Samsung phones are probably the easiest to root...but custom ROMs are where the hardware and driver issues rear their ugly heads.

But the Nexus S was fairly free from that, not having nearly as much Samsung POS software/driver poo poo piled on it, since it was vanilla Android.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Being a bit behind the times, I'm still rocking an Evo 4G.

I'm running CM7 right now...is there anything better I should switch to? Don't get my upgrade discount until July...and will that even work for the GNex? I remember old Nexuses not qualifying for upgrades, but has that changed?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

If I update my Evo 4G to CM7.2.0 RC1, coming from CM7.1, can I use Titanium Backup to restore apps AND data, since it's a similar ROM? Or is it still different enough that I should only restore apps?

Edit: And do I need to update my kernel? That's separate from the ROM, right?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 31, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm trying to install the Android SDK and it's not working...it tells me I need Java SDK installed, but I did install it...so...?

Or, alternatively, is there a rooting method for the Epic 4G that doesn't need Android SDK/ADB?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Flash BML CWM5 recovery with Odin or Heimdall. If you want to stick with stock ROM, flash superuser in recovery afterwards. Otherwise proceed to installing CM9 beta2.

Well, Odin says that the tar file was flashed successfully, but my phone still isn't rooted...

I put it in the PDA spot, and nothing in the phone or PIT spots?

And what about that "Clean_Kernel-2011-11-20-15.51.32.zip" file...it says to flash that, and it's listed before the Odin file, but I can't flash that without CWM, and I can't get CWM without root, so...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Anyone on a Galaxy Nexus running ParanoidAndoid? It's similar to that Tablet Mode romhack I "reviewed" a few months ago but there are a bunch of improvements, most notably the ability to set a custom DPI for all the apps on the phone. I'm tempted to try it out, but was wondering if anyone had tried it.

Whoa, I like a couple of features that has going. The two-column thing, and the "merging" of the status bar and ICS buttons into one area...especially the latter. Yeah, it's only 1/8" of screen space saved, but it's my screen, drat it, and I want as much of it as possible!

I might try that out when I get my GNex...so, uh...sorry for being totally unhelpful? v:shobon:v

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

They almost certainly won't get you for a small amount of tethering. I used to tether a fair amount on my phone due to travel for work to areas with no wi-fi, and I never got a notice, and I was averaging hundreds of megs a month for a while, but only for ~3 months or so, can't say if they would have noticed if I kept doing it.

Also, it was Sprint, not T-Mo, so there's that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

What's the best Wired Tether app? Wifi Tethering is great and all but sometimes you want to conserve power on the go.

Uhhh...if you have the wire to do a wired connection, then why can't you just plug it in while doing the wireless tether to charge it?

In my experience, it won't actually charge the phone while doing wireless tether, but it won't be draining the battery either.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I just got my GNex in the mail, it's charging now, and I was looking into what was needed to root it.

It looks like this...thing is the best way? It seems like overkill when really all I want is to root. Maybe later I'll look into ROMS, but the only reason I put custom ROMs on my old phones was to be as far away from manufacturer skins/bloatware as I could, which isn't an issue here.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Crap, I think I borked my Google Wallet. I rooted my GNex, then activated it, and the credit card I already had linked to Google Wallet online was there, so I selected it.

But then I de-rooted and flashed back to stock to see if it would fix my connection issues (didn't,) and forgot to "de-authorize" it, or whatever. So now I can sign into Wallet just fine, but that card isn't there, all I have are "Add Citi Mastercard, "Add Google Prepaid Card" and "Add Gift Card."

I'm hosed, right?

Edit: O, it's working now...I guess it just needed the update from the Play Store.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 12, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm on a rooted, stock GSM nexus...I read mixed things in the main android thread about 4.1.2.

Do I have to do a bunch of stuff with several files to flash, or can I just use the update I get pestered to install every five minutes?

And if I do that, does it break root?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

It does break root unless you use OTA Rootkeeper to preserve it. I'm assuming you have a custom recovery installed as well, so using the update will fail. You can dig out the update that's been downloaded to your device (I forget where it's located, but I think it's in /cache) or you can download the appropriate update from here and put it somewhere your custom recovery can get to it.

Yes, custom recovery.

So I copy+paste the .zip from \cache to the SD Card folder (already done,) run OTA Rootkeeper, boot into recovery, flash the .zip, after it's rebooted I run OTA Rootkeper again to re-gain root?

And this won't erase any data, right?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 21, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I know that rooting a One normally wipes the phone, but I have the factory unlocked, Dev Edition of the HTC One...does this one still get wiped when it's rooted?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I believe that if you unlock your bootloader with revone it doesn't wipe. You can push revone to your phone with adb and run it from an adb shell and it has its own root exploit to run itself as root. One unlocked you can install cwm/twrp and root the traditional way.

Revone won't work if you have an hboot dated sometime in June or later. You can see your hot version by going into bootloader mode.

I'm in bootloader mode, and the date is June 7th, 2013.

I guess I'll have to wipe if I want to root. drat...

I have Helium, so it's not the hugest deal, I suppose.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 12, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I tried to turn my Dev edition (unlocked bootlaoder) HTC One into a Google Play Edition today, and it didn't work.

I installed TWRP easily enough, but after installing the GPE 4.4 zip (from here) it was stuck in a boot loop.

I'd get the HTC One logo, then the Google four colored circle thing, then it would appear to boot up fine and put me at the standard Google "start" screen for setting up a new device, but within two seconds, it would reboot.

Luckily, I could get it back into recovery by holding volume down + power as it rebooted, and was able to restore my backup just fine.

I figured that the problem nay have been I didn't have S-Off?

So I'm looking at instructions for getting S-Off here, and it says:

quote:

Your HTC One must be on hboot 1.54 or 1.55

I'm on hboot v. 1.56. So is there a way to get S-Off with an HTC One with Hboot 1.56? Doe Rumrunner work and he just hasn't updated that post?

And was S-Off likely my issue? Or is is possibly a bad ROM and I should just try re-downloading, and then re-copying over to my phone? It has thar MD5 check info thingy, but I don't know how to "use" that to verify the zip is good.

Edit: V V V Ahh, cool, I didn't know ES had that. And the checksum is good for the zip on my phone, so that's not it. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 6, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Well, it looks like it's hard to get S-Off on the most up-to-date Dev edition of the One, because of hboot 1.56.

Everything is a sort of workaround which requires first installing an unsecured kernel, and then running an S-Off thing on that, which may or may not work anyway, then installing the actual ROM you want.

I looked at CM but it's only at 10.2 for the One, so I'd be downgrading back to Jelly Bean from KitKat.

I thought the whole POINT of the Dev edition is that it could easily be "fiddled" with? It's not that I NEED stock, I'm just sick of Sense's little annoyances/deviations and wanted to give stock a try, since I don't use my camera for much, and that's one of the biggest draws of the Sense ROM.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I just installed the latest AOKP nightly (which isn't actually nightly, it's from Jan. 5th,) on my One. It seemed to be the closest to a 4.4 "pure ANdroid" ROM I could find that was easy to install (since, as said, the Google Play Edition ROM requires S-Off for some reason, which is nearly impossible to achieve on the latest bootloader version.)

Only had it running about half a day, but everything seems fine so far. All major things working (phone, camera, wifi, texting, LTE even works, which is a big plus.)

Anyone else out there running AOKP and have any tips/tricks? I know there's some stuff buried in the settings, but for right now, I basically made it into stock Android (aside from turning the battery bar in the status bar to a percentage.)

Edit: Huh...I guess because it's just a nightly, but I looked at a video that highlighted some features of AOKP, and I have, like, 50% of those at best. There doesn't even seem to be a built-in way top hide apps in the app drawer.

I'll probably end up using something like Nova Launcher anyway, so I can just do that from there, I guess.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 8, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Just so I'm clear:

If I'm about to flash a new nightly of AOKP, all I have to do is wipe Dalvik and Cache, right? (And to be safe, make a full backup.)

It won't erase any app data, and I won't have to re-flash G-Apps, right?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Assuming it's just like CM you don't have to wipe anything, just flash right over. The Dalvik and cache are automatically invalidated and rebuilt so there's no reason to wipe those manually.

Do not reflash GApps, they're preserved by the backup scripts in /system/addon.d.

Cool, thanks.

I hope I have the right ROM version...I have the Dev Edition of the One, so I'm using the ROM for the "International" version...it's worked fine so far, a few random reboots (less than 1/day,) but now I'm wondering if I should use the AT&T version...

And if I should use that one, would THAT require a full wipe and install, or can the new AT&T Nightly be flashed over the International Nightly I currently have?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Finally got around to switching from AOKP on my HTC One (M7) to the Google Play Edition ROM.

Only had it on for an hour, and man, it's already so much better.

Don't get me wrong, AOKP wasn't bad, better than Sense, but it was buggy. For some reason, one of the most basic things...volume...it was terrible about.

If I tried to change the "ringer" volume while inside an app (and not one that would count as the Media volume, something like Voice or Hangouts,) it would freeze for a few seconds, and often times it wouldn't actually turn the volume up, even though the slider moved. So I think I'd be out of silent/vibrate mode, but I wouldn't be. Even going into settings and changing there wouldn't help. A reboot was the only way.

This was really bad because a few times, somehow it really messed up and made everything silent, even my alarm volume, which I always leave at 100%. I was late for work a coupe days last week. Not terribly late, but still.

The only thing I'll miss is having the actual battery percentage in the status bar instead of just an icon.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Sweet, I'll try that out.

Do they also have the option to reduce the vibration strength? I forgot I had it set to, like, 50% in AOKP because the One's default vibration sets off nearby Richter scales.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Something weird happened to my HTC One (My) (i.e., last years' One.)

I have the Dev edition that shipped with the unlocked bootloader, and a month or so ago finally got around to upgrading it to the Google Play Edition ROM (4.4.2)

A couple of days ago,I got the notification for the 4.4.3 update. I didn't install it, because I didn't want to lose root (which I only have around for Xposed/GrqavityBox stuff now.)

Well, this morning, the notification went away...and even if I go to Settings->About Phone-> System Update, it says my phone is up to date.

I mean...overall, i guess it's nice to not have that persistent notification, but it seems weird it went away.

Did Google/HTC pull the update for the M7?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Got the notice for the 4.4.4 update being ready for my GPE HTC One (M7/2013 model.)

Is there a place yet I can download the file so I can apply it myself and keep root? Or is it still too soon for it to be hosted somewhere?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Great, thanks. I looked in XDA but under "Development" because I thought that's where things like updates, etc... went. not "General".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm attempting to update my M7 to 5.0.1.

I was rooted because there were a few Xposed modules I was running, but some of the stuff I was using either is available in Lollipop, or has a close-enough alternate solution.

I also originally had the Dev edition direct from HTC, and I converted it to the GPE. It has the correct CID (in fact, it gets the notification for an update to 5.0.1 available,) but I had to put on a custom recovery to load it. Now I can't, for the life of me, get the drat stock 4.4.4 recovery.

I have found both 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 recoveries, but not 4.4.4. And yes, I tried to install the update manually from both of them, and they fail.

I found one XDA thread claiming to link to the 4.4.4 recovery, but the download page didn't link directly to the img file, it linked to an EXE for some sort of "download software" that promised to download the img file...I did NOT download it because I like not having viruses or spyware on my laptop.

So basically, is there anywhere out there that has the drat stock stock M7 4.4.4 recovery?