Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone know how to flash a modem through stock recovery? When I try to it just says installation failed.

I'm trying to flash a JI6 modem on my Vibrant through stock as opposed to clockwork to see if I can correct an sms send failure issue (message sending center option is not set so it fails).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Try using Gallery 3D from the market.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

the aftermath posted:

I seem to be failing miserably at rooting my Evo using unrevoked. I'm following the instructions and when I open up unrevoked nothing happens, it just stays at "waiting for device". I'm doing this on Ubuntu by the way. :iiam:

You may need to add the device id for your evo to udev to get it detected properly. Take a look at the Android website for details.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Does MIUI have full arabic support w/rtl like CM6? I'm tempted to try MIUI on my N1 but I can't sacrifice arabic :(

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Stunt Rock posted:

Has anyone tried TeamWhiskey's Obsidian ROM?

I'm running it on my phone. It's not holy poo poo performance like JI6 with z4mod but it is certainly snappy.

There are bugs present as this was just given the kiss of TeamWhiskey and released without thorough testing. The fixes that have been found are posted here.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, Clockwork Recovery doesn't work properly with it yet but hopefully an update will be out soon to take care of that.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Civil posted:

I'm thinking of rooting and flashing my vibrant with a froyo rom, but there's a sea of ROMS on xda.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=711

Can anyone recommend one over another? I'm leaning toward the AOSPish.

If you want something close to stock I would use Obsidian. That's what I've got on mine and for the most part they have left it unscathed.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Can someone running MIUI on a Nexus One go to http://aljazeera.net/ on their phone and tell me if the arabic shaping displays correctly (letters should be connected in words)?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

God Exists. posted:

You might be able to flash these libraries and make it work.

I'm running CM6.1 RC which does it correctly, I'm curious about MIUI but not enough to flash it and mess with it as my whole reason for using CM is arabic, but if someone opens that page and can verify it's there I'll hop over :)

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

God Exists. posted:

There's libraries available for MIUI (added very recently, apparently)

http://ardoid.com/?p=27

Oh wicked, I checked last week before it was posted. Hello MIUI!

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I'm unable to flash the the arabic libs as it's based on the 10.29 release and won't work with the latest :/

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Paramour posted:

So what's everyone's Froyo ROM of choice for the Vibrant?

For JK6 they're all about the same since the leak was so recent. It's performing really well for me, if you just want a stock one, I would suggested using my No Bloat build.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

b0nes posted:

That's what i did originally. It just hung on the boot screen. I remember back in the day when I did it on my G1, you guys wou,d say you have to wipe so I figured that is what i missed. It won't go into recovery mode anymore.

Most likely what happened is you flashed a rom that had a custom kernel, then flashed another rom that didn't have a custom kernel and it wasn't compatible, resulting in being stuck at the Vibrant screen. Nandroid does not backup the kernel so when you restore a backup you are still dealing with the custom kernel.

You have two options. One is to try flashing a stock kernel either through clockwork or odin. Option two is to flash a stock Odin rom via download mode (if your phone was in debug mode when it is connected in recovery mode type adb reboot download).

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Civil posted:

Rage works to root, but run gfree to set s-off, and unlock your sim while you're at it. It's much simpler than the rage method, and all you really need to do is adb push a file and run a couple simple commands.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=855764

Don't take any OTA updates, just flash CM.

Are you loving serious? gfree will unlock your phone? Wish I knew that before I paid $25 bucks to get an unlock code :argh:

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I followed this guide to get permaroot on my Desire Z. Does this also achieve s-off?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

I've been reading through the Desire Z docs on XDA to familiarize myself with the device since, if all goes according to plan, I'll be getting one tonight. Is it safe to assume that everything also applies to the Bell Desire Z (NAM frequencies)? I ask because the Bell Galaxy S was definitely different than the international Galaxy S, much to my shagrin. This will be my first HTC phone, so I'm still not familiar with how they operate.

Yep, same applies to the Bell Desire Z. That's the phone I have and rooting was pretty easy.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

CloFan posted:

I'm a new owner of a Samsung Vibrant and am in the process of modding it. It's rooted, ROMed (Nero v3 with Voodoo), but I don't know how to tell what filesystem my phone is on. I downloaded and ran the Voodoo stable 5.0 update.zip, but it doesn't work on some phones and the way to tell is checking the filesystem type to see if it is RDS or ext4. I think I've also tried the Voodoo lagfix-only 3.0 update.zip on the bottom of that linked page, but again, had no way of checking to be sure and didn't see a performance upgrade.

Ashex was helping me in the other thread, thanks man. I'm not learning from scratch (heavily modded a Sony ericsson 810i a few years ago), but all the tools and methods have changed so it's a lot different. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the future.

Edit: Aaaannd here come the questions. I think the ROM I'm using isn't right for my phone. Just found out the speaker on the front (not the music/speakerphone speaker) doesn't work during calls, and the volume rocker switch on the side is reversed (push up for reduced volume and vice vera). So, any recommended Vibrant ROMs?

Edit2: I think I'm using Nero 3 TouchWiz Edition w/ Voodoo right now, might give the non touchwiz version a go. Does this mean all my programs and settings will be wiped or is that what titanium backup backs up and restores?

Hello again! It sounds like you are using one of the roms ported from the Captivate/i9000 as those do have the problem of reversed volume key.

I would recommend one of the roms from Eugene of TouchWhiskey if you want a modded rom, otherwise just flash a stock rom, remove the bloat and boot sounds then flash the stock kernel with voodoo (grab it here.

If you want to change Roms, try out Axura. I haven't used it myself but the dev maintains a proper changelog which is better then the other Rom builders.

On my Vibrant I was running Stock JL5 + Stock kernel w/Voodoo beta5. One thing to keep in mind is if a Rom advertises improved battery life most of the time it's because they dropped the stock theme and turned it all black (advantage of AMOLED).

As far as modding the Vibrant, get 7zip as if you plan to roll your or tars/zips for flashing it will work well. Odin is used to flash roms/kernels (for a kernel take zImage and stick it in a tar by itself then load it in Odin with the 512 pit file).

Nandroid is good for backing up Roms but honestly I prefer to use Titanium Backup as majority of the time I lose track of nandroid backups and just restore all my settings/apps with Titanium.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 11, 2011

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

CloFan posted:

Got a link for the stock ROM? I want to do this. I found a JL5 out there but I keep getting an error when I go to install it [E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip (bad)] and I've checked and double checked that it transferred over correctly, but no dice.

Edit- It has no problem installing other ROMs, though. Just loaded Nero3 TW edition w/ voodoo just to see if it would work, and it does.

Interesting, I think this one will work but it's not what I used. I uploaded the rom I used, although I have removed all the bloat included T-Mobile apps (such as visual voicemail), shutdown/startup sounds, and put in the stock shutdown animation. I also added Titanium Backup and Rom Manager to make things easier.

Grab it here.

I didn't apply the SD card fix so if you have issues transferring files when it's plugged in to a computer, read here.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

CloFan posted:

Oh and yeah, that was the download link I was using for JL5. Tried the top one and the bottom one, neither worked.

Were you able to download the one I put up?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

DkHelmet posted:

I just started out with this whole rooting thing on my Incredible with Cynogen 6.1, and so far it's pretty awesome. However, the visual voicemail app is gone, and if I download it from the market it says there's a native app already installed and tried to uninstall itself.

Is there any way to get that sucker on there? I use Google Voice for my work, and can't use it for replacing vmm.

Grab one of the Incredible roms off XDA and pull vvm.apk from the zip then push it to /system/app with adb.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

DkHelmet posted:

Negative. It shows up in Manage Applications and Titanium Backup, but there's no icon available. I can't be the only one to lament the fact that there's no visual voicemail on the Incredible with Cyanogen? What do other people use?

It may have just been a stub that Titanium backed up, make sure it's not frozen in Titanium.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

That's rather strange, what homescreen are you using? Try installing another like Launcher Pro to see if it shows up in that app drawer.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Is there another way to fix apps missing from the market other then market doctor in Titanium?

I debranded my Desire Z last night and restored all my apps via Titanium Backup. I was looking today and almost all the apps were missing, I ran the market doctor which found a fix for 9 of them and I applied the fix but I'm still missing about 30 more.

I've tried clearing data on the Market app then rebooting and launching again with no change.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Any Desire Z users can now get Arabic shaping! This makes me incredible happy as way back when I had my N1 the only reason I rooted and flashed CM was to get Arabic shaping and RTL so being able to get that in the Stock rom makes me very happy.

check it out.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

quadratic posted:

Does it have a standard Arabic keyboard or just the Farsi one?

FFS, I wish the Android team would get their act together on this.

This doesn't add a keyboard or locale. I would love to have a translation but that's not happening for awhile. CM has an incomplete translation, I'm curious if someone can figure out how to extract the arabic translation/localization on the i9000 so everyone else can have it.

I just took a look in the market and Smart Keyboard looks to be a worthy candidate for a keyboard, install the Arabic dictionary and it works fairly well.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

quadratic posted:

I had tried getting the Arabic support in Samsung's localized ROMs to work on my Vibrant, but didn't get very far. I may have to try again when I have some time.

I was working on the same thing last month and I got the rom to boot but was getting force-closes and other messiness.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Anyone know how to restore the stock recovery on the Desire Z? I tried extracting recovery.img from the stock HTC sense rom and using flash_image but that failed to work.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Moogs posted:

Ack, that sucks. Okay, I'm going to stop this process, clear my backups, and then backup just the apps. What's the best way to ensure I save all my stuff, like my pictures? I think that's all I have on there that really needs to be saved...

Pictures in the gallery? Those are stored on your SD card so you'll be fine.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I went from a Vibrant to a Desire Z and the audio just doesn't sound as great. Are there any kernels or tweaks I can use to improve the quality?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

ilifin posted:

This is very true. There are zero problems if you however use a Bluetooth-headset, where the DAC isn't involved at all. I would never have gotten a HTC-phone unless I had a Bluetooth-headset.

Bugger, I went with an HTC because I perceive it as having a higher build quality then the SGS phones. So far I've noticed that the camera isn't as nice, speaker phone is a bit tinny, and the DAC isn't as good.

I guess I'll be going with that bluetooth option I was looking at in my next car.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Anyone know of a method to have Superuser auto-deny root access? Was just considering a way to prevent malicious apps from being granted access by accident.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

With the Honeycomb SDK out now, has anyone been able to install the Music.apk on other phones?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Traintruction posted:

Hey, I'm about ready to throw my phone at my big, dumb face!

I attempted to install Team Whiskey's Bionix-V ROM on my Samsung Vibrant last night. I made a backup using the paid version of Titanium Backup, and I used ROM Manager to back up my ROM and all that fun stuff. I was having so much fun dicking around with all this poo poo that I lost track of all the beer I was drinking and completely hosed something up. I remember getting confused about the difference between the two SD cards in my phone at one point, which would have been a good ending point. Nope. Super Beer Genius just had to plow ahead. It all culminated with me partially deleting components of Awesome!

Anyway, this morning I restored the stock ROM, with the intention of starting fresh. It's running Eclair 2.1. I downloaded ROM Manager and Titanium Backup again, and ROM Manager is giving me some trouble--particularly the ClockworkMod component. I think it's haunted. When I try to flash recovery (2.5.1.2), it throws up a "An error occurred while downloading your recovery" message. It's almost instantaneous, like it's not really trying all that hard. I get the same error when I try to use earlier recoveries at the bottom of the utility, too.

If I reboot into recovery the only options I have are reboot system now, reinstall packages, delete all user data, and delete cache data. It also says it's using the Samsung recovery instead of ClockworkMod.

Is there a way to really, really uninstall this damned ClockworkMod thing and try again? I've uninstalled and reinstalled ROM Manager, and it seems to remember this phantom 2.5.1.2 thing. Is there a relatively easy workaround for installing the other ROM that would just let me bypass ROM Manager? I tried restoring ROM Manager from my backup, but that didn't solve the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to get this sorted out, and I can assure everyone that I will remain sober during phase two of figuring this damned thing out.

For the SGS phones recovery is not actually flashed anyway, instead an update.zip is stuck in /sdcard (internal sdcard) and you get into it by booting to recovery and selecting reinstall packages.

If you're having issues downloading it with Rom Manager, Download the zip from here then rename it to update.zip and put it at the root of the internal memory. You should now be able to get into clockwork.

And assuming you haven't made nandroid backups (a backup via clockwork) you can just try deleting the clockworkmod folder.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Does Swype have a dictionary file I can modify? There are a few stupid words in the default dictionary that I'll never use, but it only lets you remove user-added words.

Nope, they're in there forever. If it is picking that word instead of what you want, hit the swype key after it's generated and select the right one from the list. It will remember your choice in the future.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Anyone still interested in getting Arabic on their Desire Z should try the RUU 1.82 rom that popped up, it is an Arabic build and after I flashed it I had full Arabic localization with shaping and RTL.

You'll need to debrand the phone before flashing to avoid bricking it.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

On the Desire Z does anyone know if it is possible to switch the Snooze and Dismiss triggers on the alarm clock?

It was retarded to make dismiss the swipe and snooze the tiny button below as when I'm half asleep I hit the swipe instead.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Civil posted:

I think the easiest thing to do is just download a new alarm clock app.

Yeah, I may just do that.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

OK. so I think I did something stupid and I need some help fixing it...

On Monday night I had to run out of town and I needed Google Navigation to work in order to do it. Well, I flashed back over to CM6.1 (from CM7 Nightly) to I knew I would have working GPS. Once I was back home, I flashed back to CM7 and carried on with life.

Now, today, I see that Android Central posted that Twitter for Android updated...so, I went to the Market -> My Apps and it only shows like 10 apps. Everything else I have downloaded and installed is on my phone, and if I search for each app individually it's marked as "Installed" (or "Update" if there is an update available)...but they don't show up in "My Apps". Once I update things, it once again shows up in "My Apps"...but I'm looking for and easier way to fix this without going through each app individually...

Inside Titanium Backup there's the market doctor, run that and it should fix it. Otherwise install Appbrain and use that to update your apps until everything is restored.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

All I will say is I am so glad my main phone is HTC.

Ok, so I have a major bug on this thing where it turns on and then within 3 minutes, no matter what I am doing, goes to a black screen. I wiped, no dice. Trying other stuff now, but the only major thing i did was one click root the phone and flash an alternate recovery on (still stock 2.1 ROM). What the gently caress is the phone doing? It was working perfectly last night.

2nd Edit: Definitely the SD Card. Because I have music on it or does the Vibrant get screwed up searching for music files between the 16GB on the phone and the 32GB on the card? Note right now i have nothing on the phone, just 10GB on the card.

Edit: Could it be the SD Card? I just put a 32GB SD Card in the sucker last night and put about 10GBs of music on it. I took out the SD Card and running fine so far. Weird...

Was it doing that before you rooted it? Try inserting the card after the phone has booted (the sdcard slot is accessible with the battery in).

As for flashing the rom, the current version of clockwork for the Vibrant should be around 2.5.1.2. Download the latest recovery here then rename it to update.zip and put it on the phones internal memory.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Civil posted:

Install adb on you computer. If you're in the rooted thread, hopefully you already have.

adb devices (hopefully this shows your phone - now we're ready to roll)

boot into Android
adb remount (makes files accessible)
adb pull /system/build.prop
It will pull build.prop to your computer in the location you launched adb from. Edit it in a text editor (not notepad - use pspad or something similar). For now, just change the density line from 240 (or whatever it is) to something lower. I set mine at 200. Save when you're done.

ro.sf.lcd_density=200

adb push build.prop /system/build.prop (re-pushes it over the old file)
adb reboot (reboots)

Hopefully this didn't gently caress up your system. Enjoy your extra real estate.

If you want to test it on the phone without making permanent changes, use this method:

quote:

Open Terminal Emulator from your phone or use adb shell from your computer:
type: setprop qemu.sf.lcd_density 200 (or 190,etc)
press enter.
type: busybox killall system_server
press enter.
it will reboot quickly with your new display. Just reboot and it'll go back to stock. Once you find something you like, you can edit the real build.prop file.

Ripped from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Is there a kernel for the G2/Desire Z focused on improved battery life rather than "OMG OC 12.6GHZ!"?