Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Eltoasto posted:

So I'm dumb and rooted my phone a long time ago but just left it with stock, did the 2.2 OTA's, and now it's messed up and thinks it's rooted but other programs can't see it. Can't backup program data without titanium backup working and SPR won't take to try rooting it the other way. So I'm thinking at this point that my best option is just to factory reset it to 2.1, root, and install CM 6.1. Haven't wiped it since I started so no harm and cleaning up all that junk I guess. Original Droid, any other ideas on what to do with it?

Can you get to it with ADB? Try re-rooting it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

toby posted:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I can get into recovery. Here's how this went:

1) rooted phone
2) installed ROM Manager
3) in ROM Manager, clicked on "flash clockworkmod recovery"
3) clicked on "reboot into recovery"
4) phone reboots into stock recovery, tries to use update.zip, says it can't verify the signature, fails

I've done several phones and ROM manager is iffy about recovery working. Sometimes you have to flash recovery and reboot a few times for it to work.

edit:

And on a Droid X you pretty much have to use Droid X Bootstrapper.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Also if you hit the menu key in ROM Manager there is an option to "Clear Download Cache" that sometimes fixes poo poo. You'll have to re-download your ROM if you got it through ROM Manager.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

yamdankee posted:

Edit: Also, on my Droid X, do I have to buy Droid X Recovery Bootstrap to install Tranquility ROM? Why can't I just install Tranquility through ROM Manager?

I have never once gotten ROM Manager to reboot into recovery on my X. Droid X Bootstrapper works every time. Koush released it for free on his site: http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/08/droid-x-recovery.html

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I'm running Rubix 1.0 Focused on my X and I installed the Incognito-Red theme or whatever, and I like it, but it also changed the icons on several of the default applications to retarded ones that don't follow the developer's guidelines and as such don't match anything else. Is there an easy way to bring them back to the stock icons?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Mo0 posted:

I noticed something here. Does the Droid X have a different default font than the Droid does, or did these guys mess with their fonts? I like that font. :(

Gingerbread keyboard itself is bitchin', though, get the D-L version, works like a charm. Except for the multitouch stuff. I can't get Shift+4 to do dollar signs or anything like that.

Is mine screwed up or is the keyboard supposed to be half the height of the old one?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Trapezound posted:

Good to know. Cyanogen is probably just treading lightly.

My phone still refuses to enter recovery mode through any means other than hardware key combo during boot. Any other attempt to boot into recovery, with ROM Manager for example, just hangs on this screen. This didn't happen the first time I tried to flash CM6.1. I guess I'll have to manually flash it if I want to try again.

(I'm asking for help in a really backwards way, for what it's worth; I'm not posting about my horribly uninteresting issues with android ROMs purely for the sake of posting. As I said previously, I'm on a Moto Droid 1, currently running stock 2.2 after getting caught in a boot loop on my first 6.1 attempt.)

I've done a few Droids and they're pretty finicky about booting into recovery. I've had the best luck by flashing recovery twice before rebooting into it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

If you've got an X and have never done an OTA on it (just used leaks and ROMS), do yourself a favor and get the latest OTA. I just sbf'd back to 2.1, OTA'd to 2.2.1 (2.3.340) and installed rubiX 1.9.0 (what I was on before), and there are noticeable performance gains.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Casao posted:

Unless it includes a radio update, it's placebo. If it does include a radio update, you can flash that separately. More than likely, it's also the clean flash helping out - always makes my phone feel faster.

You're probably right about it feeling faster, however, I was under the impression that certain things couldn't be changed without a signed update from Motorola. I always run quadrant a couple of times after I load a ROM, and after applying the same ROM I had been using but after the OTAs, I'm consistently getting around 100 points higher now :confused:.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Casao posted:

I'm not familiar with the Moto security measures, so maybe that's the case - if they're not fully unlocked, what I said could be wrong. I thought they had been by now.

But Radio updates could do that.

Unfortunately the bootloader has remained uncracked (and can't be brute-forced because the signature something ridiculous like 2048-bit), so ROMs for the X are little more than themes. You also have to be careful when flashing an sbf file, because if one of Motorola's signed updates has changed the bootloader, an older sbf will brick it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Metal Avenger posted:

Got my Droid X rooted and running on Metro PCS (got some shady dude in east Oakland to set that up for me since I couldn't figure it out myself). Sucks that running a custom ROM is out of the question, hopefully the Android community figures out an exploit sometime soon.

There are "ROMs" you can put on, but they're more like themes. The only thing that's really locked out are bootloader and kernel changes. I think some of the ROMs do kernel modifications at runtime, too, which is how you're able to overclock and such. What system version and Android version does your phone show?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

yamdankee posted:

I've decided that Rom Manager hates me.

I've tried installing Clockwork Mod through ROM Manager on this MyTouch 3G 3 times, and it keeps booting to the triangle with an exclamation point every time. So I can't install a custom ROM with it. Any advice?

Try doing it 2 or 3 times in a row before you reboot. I've gotten this to work on a few different phones.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

JayKay posted:

After multiple attempts at getting the OTA update on my X, I ended up having to flash the OTA update via sbf and then re-rooted via zRoot.

I'm thinking my issue was that instead of backing up before deleting bloatware, I just went hog wild and that prevented the update.

The update checks to make sure that you haven't dicked with your phone in ways that require root (like deleting the Blockbuster application). Did you sbf to 320 or 340? If you're on 320 there's another system-only sbf you need to go to 340.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Invader Tim posted:

I literally just tried rooting my DX in the last hour or so. Everything was a huge pain.

Then I looked through the threads here and googled a little, and I finally got it one-clicked with z4mod v1.3.0.

Goddamn z4mod was so much easier than going through ADB. I used it after I sbf'd back to 2.1 and then did an OTA to 2.2.1. Worked on the first try.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I just put a newer version of a ROM on my X (rubiX 1.9.5) and it's great, but the option on the stock messaging application is gone from the previous version. I pulled the apk for the old one out of the old ROM, but the installation fails. When I try to install through ADB, I get Failure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES] so I'm guessing the package isn't signed or something. What the hell do I need to do?

edit: I can Google
When replacing system applications, you can do
adb push xxx.apk /system/app

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 3, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Those of you with a rooted Nook Color should probably disable the applications that try to access phone stuff in order to save battery. From ADB shell or a terminal emulator:
code:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system
rm /system/app/Mms.apk
rm /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk
rm /system/app/Phone.apk
reboot

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Telex posted:

where do I download an updated market.apk to push to my nookcolor?

I know how to get it on the device, I just don't know where to get the .apk from in the first place. If I pull the one from my Epic, will that work?

You mean the new blobby green one, right? There's an installation zip floating around called market_2.2.7_signed_12222010.zip which I used to install on my phone. If you open it up, there's a Vending.apk which you can probably just push.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I've been having a problem with my Nook Color. I can't get the screen to turn off, either by waiting for the timeout, or hitting the power button. The only way to get the screen off is to power it down. I noticed this after replacing the YouTube application with another one. Is there anything that can cause this?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Casao posted:

Clockwork is now working and flashable for the Nook color via Rom Manager (previously it would "flash" but you couldn't get it to actually work).

There's also now a 900mhz OC kernel available here for the NC. Dude's promising to hit 1ghz asap, and bring over other performance improvements. Trying this out myself momentarily.

It's worth noting that if you flash a custom recovery on the Nook, it will no longer return to factory settings after 8 failed boot attempts, so don't count on that if you're dicking around.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Fatpot posted:

Has anybody rooted a Motorola Backflip? I'm having trouble using the Superoneclick, it just keeps looping its process, but never actually roots the phone (although it did copy the superuser program over).

Edit: Currently the phone is running 1.5 from Telus. I want to root and hopefully flash to 2.1 since Canadians get no upgrade love.

During the process I think it says something like "If this keeps looping, turn off USB debugging."

At least I think it's USB debugging. Anyway, do what it says and it should work. It did for me on an OG Droid.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

It depends on how you change the scaling. Most overclocking tools only change the highest value, so most of the time, your processor is going to be running the same speed/voltage it would without an overclock. I think the voltage settings matter more than the frequency you set it to. I can up my X to 1.3 and the drain is only noticeably higher if I've been doing something that really heats up the CPU, which is a pretty big drain anyway. You might check and see what your minimum processor speed is with the overclock versus without (Quadrant will tell you this in phone info). If the minimum speed/voltage is higher, you're going to see a higher idle drain.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Casao posted:

FYI for Nook Color owners, someone got Nookie Froyo dual booting from internal memory, so you can have Stock/Nookie dual booting going. Going to try it tonight when I get home.

Is there a way to get the Nook's default recovery back after doing this?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Casao posted:

I dunno. Why would you do this, though?

Terrified of bricking the drat thing. The default recovery will restore to factory if it fails to boot 8 times.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Casao posted:

It's the same as a phone - as long as you have CWM installed and don't try to kill it + your rom simultaneously, you should be absolutely fine.

Apparently, TheDudesAndroid and Attn1 have CM7 booting and "running" on the Nook Color.

This is going to own hardcore.

I guess I'll try it, then. You're saying we're going to have 2.3 on our NCs before 2.2 is out officially?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Casao posted:

CM7 is booting and "running" on NC according to some CM forum posts. I expect to see it by February, so yeah, we'll probably see GB before 2.2, unless BN pumps that poo poo out quickly.

Have you been able to overclock yours? I remember reading somewhere that the NCs used underperforming processors, so they can only get up around 950MHz.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

This is related to the discussion from the general thread and motorola's locked bootloaders,

I don't have any personal experience with Motorola and Android (N1 user) but what are the limitations/availability for roms on the Droid * products?

Motorola's original Droid is open.
The Droid Incredible is made by HTC and I believe is easily hacked.
The Droid X and Droid 2 both have locked bootloaders that have not been cracked, but both phones have been rooted and can have something very similar to a custom ROM installed (I believe just the kernel can't be changed, but kernel-modifying scripts can be run during runtime).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

One of my idiot friends has a retarded friend with a MyTouch4G. Idiot friend rooted it and retarded friend attempted to load a custom ROM. The brick is now on my desk and when powered on, just goes to the MyTouch4G splash screen and stays there. It won't go into recovery mode when I hold volume down while powering up. It is recognized over USB and I'm installing the ADB driver for it right now. What the hell do I need to do to get this to work?

e: somehow when I plugged in USB, it just turned on and went straight into clockwork. I found two backups, but they both have invalid MD5s. Wiping data and cache didn't help, so I loaded CM6, but it stays at the splash screen. What else can I do?

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 21, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I can get it into recovery and I loaded CM6, but it still hangs at the MT4G splash. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've wiped data/cache like 3 times.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Casao posted:

How long is it hanging? It can take a very long time on the first boot.

I waited ~30 minutes. My X only takes ~5-10, so I figured I wasn't getting anywhere.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I can boot it into clockwork by plugging it in USB when the power is off. I'm unable to mount or format system, which might be the whole problem. Anything I can do about that?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

chestnut santabag posted:

If you can get into the bootloader, then you should be able to reset everything back to stock if you have the 300MB PD15IMG.zip file on the root of the sdcard.

I'm downloading this right now and I'll try it first.

Casao posted:

Do you know if it's been S-Off'd?

Go into hboot (not sure exactly how) and check.

If it has, you can fix pretty much anything, hit me up on AIM and I can walk you through it (I don't remember exact specifics or I'd just post them, it's kind of trial and error). If not, try the instructions at http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=TMobile_myTouch_4G:_Full_Update_Guide#Flashing_the_Engineering_HBoot_.28Optional.29 - if they work, you can turn hboot off.

If I turn it on with volume down held, it takes me to a screen with 3 skateboarding androids that says
code:
GLACIER PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.86.0000
MICROP-0429
RADIO-26.03.02.26_M
eMMC-boot
Sep 27 2010,11:12:59

HBOOT
I'm guessing this is the HBOOT you're talking about, and it says S-ON, so that means it hasn't been S-OFF'd?
Then it has controls, the options FASTBOOT, RECOVERY, FACTORY RESET, SIMLOCK and IMAGE CRC. I tried dicking around with the options in there and I can't seem to get anything done. If flashing that zip doesn't work, I'll AIM you.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

That makes sense. I'll try the official signed update chestnut santabag mentioned, hoping that it will work. If not I'll have to learn all this other nonsense on XDA.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

Is there really any compelling reason to replace the ROM on my DX if I'm fine with the current speed? I rooted it and removed a dozen or so apps but I can't figure out why I'd want another ROM yet though.

You can get rid of all the Blur stuff, grouping in the add widget screen, better battery life (via undervolting and other optimizations), like a jillion themes, faster power on times, more settings and some other crap.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

Some of that stuff sounds pretty compelling (the battery part). Any particular ROM that is the most complete? I looked around on the web and there are a bunch but I didn't know if there was one that was considered the end all be all of DX roms.

I'm using RubiX 1.9.5 which is using a GummyJar base. Any of the GummyJar-based ROMs seem pretty nice. Here's a good place to start: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-roms/

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

yamdankee posted:

I just installed Rubix Focused 1.9.7.

Oh poo poo when did that come out? I'll be updating mine tonight.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

yamdankee posted:

I still can't get Swype to work after installing Rubix Focused 1.9.7 on my DX.

If you long-press on a text-entry field does Swype show up in input methods?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Sorry you had to reinstall. I figured you knew you could do that.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Also, I was thinking about getting a Nook Color and rooting it. It sounds like it's fairly capable, but can anybody give me a comparison how the cpu in the Nook compares to the Optimus? It's my only frame of reference for performance but based on what I've seen with the phone it performs well enough for my needs.
code:
                Optimus S    Nook
Processor Clock 600MHz       800MHz
Screen size     320x480      600x1024
I think part of the reason the Optimus seems so snappy is because it has the smaller resolution screen. A couple of people at work have them, and they don't seem to be any faster than my Nook at normal tasks. The Nook also has an 1100MHz kernel available, and there's a very active community for it. The Nook is a decent tablet on the cheap.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Does Swype have a dictionary file I can modify? There are a few stupid words in the default dictionary that I'll never use, but it only lets you remove user-added words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Ashex posted:

Nope, they're in there forever. If it is picking that word instead of what you want, hit the swype key after it's generated and select the right one from the list. It will remember your choice in the future.

I poked around a bit and found EnglishUS.zdb.le inside the Swype apk, and it appears to be the dictionary, but compressed so I have no way to edit it.