Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Change it to a .zip and poke around using 7zip just like you did with the original apk.

Tried that, doesn't appear to use zip compression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I had to look this up. Apparently it means "thank you"? WTF?

You've never heard the old

:v: What's 4q plus 6q?
:j: 10q.
:v: You're welcome.
:j: I hate you.
:v: Hank taught me that last one.
:j: Hank who?
:v: You're welcome.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Z4root is amazingly easy. You install it, run it and then tap the button and wait a bit. You can also un-root. If you're going to install custom "ROMs" on your X, don't use ROM manager as it's horribly unreliable. Get Droid X Bootstrapper and load the ROM directly through Clockwork Recovery after copying the zip to your SD card.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

yamdankee posted:

instructions

Haha that looks almost like the list I sent you. RubiX was an amazing ROM before and since it switched to a GummyJar base in 1.9.5 it's even better. Version 1.9.7 comes with a tool that will stress test your device at different voltages and frequencies to get the best performance/battery life.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

My battery will last over 2 days with normal use, but I charge it every night, so no telling. I'd used Milestone Overclock in the past, but QuickClock is much nicer. It appears to only undervolt at the 300MHz setting, which is what the phone is probably running at the majority of the time. I've never really had problems with anything being slow at 1GHz, but since it runs faster at the same voltage, I went ahead and let it do that. It's not really noticeable unless you run Quadrant or something like that.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Crossbar posted:

I really wish I could figure out how you get such great battery life. I'm on rubix and have underclocked and undervolted. I'm at about 30-40% battery after about 14 hours with light use. Not bad, but I'd like to get more. Nothing pops out as a power hog when I check the battery stats or spare parts.

My "normal" use is probably light use for most people. I guess I send 100-200 texts per day, play some Wordfeud, use Pulse for maybe half an hour and use the browser for about that much as well. I talk on it what probably averages 10 minutes per day. I have full signal pretty much everywhere I go. Probably one of the big things is I don't use Twitter or Facebook at all.

Maybe your battery isn't reporting the right levels. Have you tried recalibrating/bump charging/whatever?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Kramdar posted:

But the root part, should he be able to remove those system apps with a temp root on the Mytouch?

Yes. Or they could be hidden with LauncherPro without needing root.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Wylie posted:

What else do I need to do here? Am I missing a step somehow? Do I need to help it reboot into recovery by holding X on the keyboard or something?

I've done a couple of original Droids and clockwork isn't very reliable on them. Try telling Rom Manager to flash it a couple of times, then reboot into recovery.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

TurboLuvah posted:

Edit: Now that I'm rooted which app is the best for taking screenshots?

I just use screenshot.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

yamdankee posted:

Rubix Focused 2.0 looks like it would have better battery life for my Droid X than Liberty 1.5 right now. However, Liberty came with Liberty Toolbox which has some great options that I've taken advantage of like LCD Density, themes, and system font. Those changes will go away if I install Rubix, right? Can Liberty Toolbox still be used even if I'm using Rubix Focused?

I've never used it, but in the RubiX thread, Drod mentions that the Liberty Toolbox will stay no matter what ROM you put on after Liberty.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

Have a lot of issues come up with over clocking the phones? I saw the other day that someone over clocked their OG Droid to 900MHz, which seems pretty ridiculous seeing as how it's at 550MHz now even though it's a 600MHz processor. What about overheating and the other stuff that you worry about when over clocking?

I've set every one I've touched to 1GHz with no problems.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

And the follow up question, why have you had to setup multiple? Or are you saying touched for friends rather than all for yourself?

Is there a guide to using SetCPU with the OG Droid?

I've done them for multiple people. If you want to do it the easy way, get Milestone Overclock (it's free!).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

Makes sense. I'm looking through the xda thread for the z4root tool and it looks like people are having trouble rooting it with this tool at 2.2.1.

Should I give that a go or look at using the SuperOneClick method that's also on xda?

z4 didn't work for me after the last update, but SuperOneClick did. You have to pay attention to the output, though. It says something like "If this keeps looping, turn off USB debugging." I had to do that, but it rooted the phone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

But anytime after that initial reboot, it's like the recovery image gets overwritten back to the stock. Any ideas with this one?

ROM Manager is a goddamn pain in the rear end on every Droid I've tried. Download the ROM manually and put it on your SD card somewhere where you can find it (a directory named ROMs perhaps?). Run ROM manager and tell it to flash the recovery twice and then tell it to reboot into recovery, then do whatever it is you want to do in clockwork.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

Ok cool. The thing I'm worried is what happens if after the first time that I run clockworkmod to install cm6, the kernal isn't correct so it just sits there at the M. I wont be able to get back into clockworkmod would I to run a restore?

So you can't get into recovery by holding down X (at least I think it's X) when you reboot? If you can't get to recovery and can't boot, you'll have to SBF.

e: That link to the SBF might not be the right file. I've never done it before on an OG droid, but you probably need to find the right SBF for your bootloader version (displayed when you go into bootloader mode).

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 16, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I finally put CM7 on my NC a few days ago, and the nightlies have incremented a few builds. Can I just install over, or do I have to wipe data/cache every time I move to a new nightly?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Nerobro posted:

doc, tell me a little about it. What is the best feature you got out of CM7? how's bluetooth?

Bluetooth wouldn't even turn on, but that's probably because I replaced the kernel with the 1100MHz one. Even before I did that, it ran a lot smoother, but it's even better with the overclock. I hadn't done anything to it previously except one of the earlier auto-nooters, so I'm just now enjoying the updated market and such. Overall it just seems cleaner and faster, scrolling is smoother and games run a lot better. Pinch-zooming works properly. The touchscreen seems to work better and I don't have any trouble touching the upper-right corner anymore, which is necessary because there's soft back and menu keys added to the notification bar. You'll have to remove Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk again if you don't want cell standby showing up on your battery usage. The only thing I can really complain about is the CRT-esque screen off animation doesn't work properly.

Casao posted:

You can install right over.

Awesome, thanks!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Kazy posted:

This updated kernel should play nicely with Bluetooth. If you've already flashed the latest ones, there's some bug where you have to shut down (by holding the button until it turns off, NOT through a menu) and turn it back on before bluetooth will turn on.

That's the kernel I'm using. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

e: VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
I knew about that, but I couldn't even get it turned on.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 21, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Did you tell ROM Manager to flash recovery first?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

I've tried rooting my Droid X and I cannot get it to work. Can anyone whose done it recently give any tips? The first time I tried it stopped at "Waiting for phone". After that I couldn't even get the program to find the phone on the computer.

Just put z4root on your phone and run it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

It's still not working.

Weird. What other method were you trying before? Maybe it did something strange. Would a factory reset be out of the question?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Motorola's custom UI really doesn't make it that much different from stock. It adds some Facebook integration, widgets and changes a couple of the standard applications like messaging. That being said, there are still "ROMs" for the devices (once they've been rooted) that will bring your device to stock Android without needing to get into the bootloader.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

SmartCunt posted:

What is the major difference of having an unlocked bootloader? I've been running custom roms on my droid x for months now, which have unlocked features like overclocking and wireless tethering etc, yet I remember reading just a few days ago that the droid x bootloader was finally unlocked. What exactly does this open up that wasn't already available?

Custom kernels are the big thing, I think. Even this isn't a complete lockout, because the kernel can be modified during runtime, which I believe is how the overclock works on the X.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

godzirraRAWR posted:

I truly loved CM7, but there were some crazy bugs with sprints visual voicemail app that were killing me, and I kept getting multiple notifications of text messages, and the only way to kill the text/voicemail notifications were to reboot. And I kept getting weird texts regarding voicemail from Sprint too?

Google Voice is superior to every carrier's visual voicemail that I've seen, and it's free. Not sure about the double texts, though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Use ADW. If you put CM7 on your Nook (you should) it comes with ADW preinstalled.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

lowcrabdiet posted:

The only problem I have with CM7 on my nook is that the nook doesn't properly go to sleep when the display is turned off, and battery keeps draining about 1-3% an hour with the display off.

Oh, for some reason the CM7 builds for the Nook still have TelephonyProvider.apk and Phone.apk. If you remove these (I rename them to .apk.bak) then you should get more battery life. Remove TelephonyProvider first as your Nook will spaz when you remove Phone (until you reboot).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Casao posted:

This has been disproven, I thought.

Maybe, but if I don't remove them, it shows up in the battery screen as one of the larger bars, and they don't show up at all if I remove the files. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, either. Up until yesterday I had two Nooks at my disposal. There are a couple of guys here at the office with them, so maybe I can do some testing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

I paid $40 for it. Much cheaper than what I see it going for on eBay.

I need to buy a new battery for it. Should I go ahead and pay for an unlock code?

Don't pay for an unlock code. If you can, get the previous owner to call T-Mobile and ask for it. It's relatively painless and they just email you the code in a couple of days. If you can't get the previous owner to do it, maybe have someone you know on T-Mobile do it.

I have a feeling that no matter what you do, you're going to be unsatisfied with with the device just because the hardware is old.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

If you know of any functional Android for only $40 (what I paid for the G1) on eBay or Craigslist that is better than the G1, let me know.

Plus, I'm sure I got a good $10-$20 worth knowledge out of the device already. It almost pays for itself!

If you plan on using it as your primary device, you might also want to assign a dollar value to pain and irritation.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

...I was looking for a widget to put on the Desktop to toggle WiFi...

You should use Widgetsoid for all your toggles.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I'd imagine using the Verizon sbf would work.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Metal Avenger posted:

Can you elaborate on this? The most I've ever done is root my phone once, all the real work was done by the guys at the Metro PCS store.

I'm guessing they did something like this but with a different file. The 2.3.340 is the most current. Also it says that 4.8 is the most current version of RSDLite, but I remember using 4.9 last time I did it.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-rooted-help/100038-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Back up with Titanum Backup and then restore data after you flash your ROM.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Did you wipe data and cache before installing Liberty?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

yamdankee posted:

Yeah, and if you notice, when the signal is back on the graph plummets. Correct me if I'm wrong but this looks more like a problem than anything else. :confused:

The graph is over 5 days and that's when he turned data back on. Make the last bit 5 times as wide and it will look like a normal graph.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

I'm in the process of getting a friends droid x and want to root it, but I know I've heard that the droid x scene is pretty all over the place.

What's the best way to root and "ROM" a droid x?

edit: I know it's a locked bootloader, but isn't there a way to "fake" ROM it?

It's rootable with z4root, which is easy enough to find, and even easier to use. The best place I've found for "ROMs" is droidforums.net.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sure, just like how a 100gb harddrive shows as 80-90 something gigs when you install it. Overhead + Android partitioning.

This is because manufacturers call a gigabyte one billion bytes and operating systems call a gigabyte 2^30 bytes. I think flash media manufacturers do the same thing. The filesystem also takes up a portion of the space.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I finally decided to bite the bullet and install Liberty since the developer of my old "ROM" got a Thunderbolt a while ago, so I was stuck on 2.2. I used an update zip to bring it back to 2.3.340, then installed both files listed on this page:
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/28/download-official-droidx-gingerbread-4-5-596-for-rooted-users/
Then installed Liberty .6. I did all of these from recovery in a row without rebooting.
After the first reboot, it shows the Liberty logo then goes to bootloader mode. I'm about to sbf and try this again, but did I do anything wrong?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

After every flash, I booted into the ROM then restarted into recovery to do the next one. Does booting into the phone "complete" the process?

I figured that I wouldn't be able to get back into recovery after each one. Did you reboot between parts I and II? It says not to when it's applying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

e. Nvm, you didn't sbf. Still, you might need to reroot and install bootstrap after you go back to stock, but it's still worthwhile to reboot and make sure you're on gingerbread correctly before installing liberty.

This is what I did and it worked! The toolbox is pretty great.