Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
The T-Mobile G2 has a one-click temporary root app in the Android Market called VISIONary. You have to have USB Debugging enabled to use it, and it only persists until you reboot. So far there are no custom ROMs for it, although some extra functionality is being hacked in through kernel modules like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I tried MIUI on my HD2 and fell in love with it. It's too bad I can't use it on my G2 yet.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Hell ya! MIUI is out for the G2, now there is no reason to stick with the N1.

Too bad it didn't boot and was immediately pulled. :v:

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Speaking of MIUI, an actually booting version for the G2/Desire Z was posted today on XDA. It seems to have battery issues in that my battery isn't seeming to charge past 49% and it gets incredibly hot. Flashing back to CM6.1 - again - until this is sorted :( I really like MIUI on my HD2.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

With CM6, I run more apps than my phone can actually allow by offloading a dozen or so apps with app2sd that weren't designed to be copied.

What'll happen if I wipe? I'm a bit afraid of trying any of these 2.3 mods and needing to wipe, to find that the Google Restore is gearing up to download 80 apps to my phone that only has enough room for 50 or so. My iPhone experience has turned me into a total app whore, I know.

Typically when I have issues with Google Restore, I sign in, load the market app, immediately back out of it, and force stop/delete data from Market.apk in Settings, and reboot. That stops the restore and allows you to load your apps piecemeal from Titanium Backup or from the Market.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

soru posted:

I'm running a CM7/Gingerbread nightly on my Incredible right now, and the camera, GPS, and network location all work great.

I guess it's not officially a nightly yet maybe? Sort of a pre-build or something. I don't know.

They aren't technically nightlies yet. If you look at your About Phone screen, it'll probably say CyanogenMod-7.0.0-RC0-inc-KANG or something like that - the -KANG means that it was not a member of TeamDouche that compiled it. There's a member of xda that regularly compiles CM7 builds and posts them to crackflashers.com. I've been running CM7 on my G2 since the earliest builds and it's gotten incredibly stable.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

The only differences between the Desire Z and the G2 (other than the 3G bands) are a few differences in partition structures, I think. Most ROMs and guides apply to both.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Civil posted:

I run MIUI on my G2 with pershoot's NEON kernel (available in rom manager) - it seems to give me better battery life than the kernel shipped with MIUI, which is usually cyanogen's. I don't overclock, it just seems to have a better idle consumption profile.

I still try out other roms as they're updated, but some of the MIUI stuff really has me spoiled, the control panel just makes so much loving sense, everything else is a maze of menus after using that. The SMS popups are awesome, and the lock screen with previewable calls, SMS's, and music controls are all gravy. It's honestly keeping me from going to CM7, since I know I'll be taking a step back in usability.

I've used the 4 major ROMs I can think of off the top of my head for the G2 (CM6.1, CM7, Virtuous, and MIUI). MIUI and CM7 top the list for me, pretty much - the only reason I'm not jumping back and forth between MIUI and CM7 is that I'm not sure that Clockworkmod 3.0.0.5 or whatever I have is capable of going back to a Froyo-based ROM without me having to use fastboot to flash back to CWM 2.x. Oy.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

The Desire HD, Incredible, and Evo have very, very rough and broken Honeycomb ports from the SDK here: http://t3hh4xx0r.com/?page_id=1217

I wonder how much of the DHD port would be applicable to the G2/Desire Z. I'm personally hoping that after Honeycomb drops into AOSP we'll see a port for the Dell Streak.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

What kind of a phone are you using? I've had that happen to me on my T-Mobile G2 occasionally when I overclock it really high (Think 1.3GHz+) and use the fancy screen-off/screen-on animation in Cyanogenmod 7. If you are overclocking, try backing the clock speed down a bit or using a conservative governor.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

deong posted:

Have you updated the Radio on your G2?
When I was using the Hero, I would update it all the time. On the G2 it does not seem to be as easy to find the radio updates.. It feels like with Cm7, the signal is getting worse.

I have updated the radio on my G2 using an update zip file from xda, and doing that along with clearing my dalvik-cache has dramatically improved my internet speeds. The easiest radio updates are those that are just PC10IMG.zip - you put the zip file in /sdcard/, reboot to the bootloader, and it'll update.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

A friend of mine just got the Verizon LG Vortex (i.e. the Optimus but there can't be two Optimus Vs :v:). There don't appear to be any ROMs of consequence - does anyone here have the Vortex and something like a Cyanogenmod port?

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I wonder when the Honeycomb source is going to be merged into the AOSP. It's been a couple weeks since the Xoom came out, right? How long did Eclair, Froyo, and Gingerbread take to merge after their respective releases?

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Civil posted:

I was considering jumping to the G2 1.3.18 MIUI build, but it has a similar list of "gotcha's" that come with it. I'll hold off until things are a little more settled.

It's a bit crap for the moment, honestly. I flashed my G2 back to CM7 after playing with it a bit. There's been a sudden increase in the amount of ROMs on xda, but there are basically only 3 choices for the G2:

CM6/CM7
MIUI (2.2/2.3)
Virtuous

Everything else seems to be either half-baked incomplete ports like the Meizu M9 port or the Honeycomb port, or alternately reskinned versions of CM7 that I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. CM7 all the way!

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

I don't know why, but I always said it as "mew-eee"

I always say "Em Eye You Eye" :v:

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I've been curious about this for a couple years. What is deodexing and what are the benefits of it?

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

So my girlfriend has an HTC Evo Shift, and I am looking to possibly root it so she can WiFi tether on the occasion she needs it. No custom ROMs needed, she is a more basic user who doesn't like fiddling with stuff. Any easy one click methods like Unrevoked for the Evo?

Unfortunately, no. To permanently root the Shift you need adb and you basically overwrite the bootloader with a leaked engineering one. There are a few good guides on XDA.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Schizo posted:

And it's making my Shift automatically reboot into recovery a few minutes after startup. :( Back to 7.0 for me.

cmsrc posted:

vendor_cyanogen/gingerbread - @cyanogen * 79e906 - cm: Bump to 7.0.2 because we are stupid.... http://kan.gd/ejs

They accidentally introduced a couple show-stopping bugs in 7.0.1, so they fixed it and bumped it to 7.0.2.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

CM7 has been improving daily for the G2x. I haven't gotten any random crashes since I flashed it, and it's smoother than ever.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Civil posted:

I was going to try the Sense 3.0 "Virtuous Unity" ROM on my wife's G2, and it looks like the project rage quit. Ha.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1115333

Unity was a fantastic ROM and here's their reason for quitting:

http://www.virtuousrom.com/2011/07/virtuous-unity-project-on-hold.html

I hate the Android community.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

If you ran gfree to root it, you're already unlocked.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Krime posted:

Ok... so what happens when I wipe the following... and what is best process when going from ROM to ROM?

data
dalvik
cache

Wiping all 3 is considered a "full wipe" right? Does this pretty much put me back to a brand new stock phone that is rooted still?

Does anything hang around like apps that I have downloaded or do I have to re download them? What about backups from Titanium?

Sort of half confused I guess.

Yep, that's what is considered a full wipe. What it does is it just sends you back to a state like when you first loaded that ROM - initial setup with Wifi, your Google account, etc. Nothing hangs around except what is normally present on the system, and your Titanium Backups are always on the sd card so they don't get deleted.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Sounds like AlphaRev and Unrevoked are going to releasing their rooting tool today: http://revolutionary.io/

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Everyone on SA with an XDA account should go "Thanks" this post right now.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I rooted my Sensation with Revolutionary on Friday, and other than the initial "Not working with T-Mobile USA Sensations" hiccup, it went fairly painlessly. I've tried a couple different ROMs - for now, all the ROMs are Sense-based, and I think the best is Virtuous. It has a beta overclocking/undervolting kernel and it seems snappier than the stock ROM. CyanogenMod 7 is going to be released pretty soon, I think.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

If anyone is stuck with an HTC Evo Shift on Android 2.3 without root, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1255474 <-- that tutorial will walk you through downgrading to Android 2.2, then you can root and install a custom ROM or a rooted stock ROM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

xda-developers.php

The name of that ROM alone should tell anyone what they need to know about XDA.