Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I don't know if this is any better place to ask than any loving where else on the Web, but does anybody, anywhere, know of a fix for wifi tether on a Galaxy Note 2 with an AOSP rom and kernel?

XDA's brilliant policies prevent me from taking the issue up with anyone remotely intelligent there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Nerdrock posted:

I didn't even know there was an issue, personally. CM10.1 wifi tethering on my AT&T Note 2 works fine for me.

Edit : in similar news : For anyone on the fence about CM10.1 being good enough for a daily driver, as of the 6/30 nightly, it is. I had been holding out until horrid bluetooth issues were solved, and it seems they were.

That's good news already, then. I've been thoroughly enjoying both carbon rom and matrix/plasma kernel, but I have found zero working configs for wifi tether.

What are you using, please? Version and settings and things.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Nerdrock posted:

I came from CleanROM ACE 4.9 , but it's just the CM10.1 6/30 nightly from here, and the included kernel.

Edit : Kernetl 3.0.64-CM-g31f128d , and no special tools for the hotspot, just the feature built in to the system. (One thing that bums me out about the stock wifi hotspot system compared to TouchWiz roms is that you can't hide your SSID).

My native hotspot fails entirely to start, but I'm on Carbon nighties and Plasma, so I am expecting to chalk it up to some combo of rom, kernel, and carrier.

Oh well. Gonna buy into a proper dedicated device anyways, most likely.

Thanks much!

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Syrinxx posted:

The point of the thread is to be able to discuss this stuff with others. You can PM me but if you are interested in Note II stuff we can probably help you with most of it here. First of all, if you choose a ROM that is based on AOSP such as CyanogenMod, Carbon or Beanstalk, there are very few custom kernels for it - I only remember one called SOAP. The phone is fast as hell and you probably have no need for overclocking so the included kernel is fine. If you choose a TW based ROM you will have your choice of custom kernels like Saber but you you can't update nearly as easily as CM. I guess it depends on what you want to gain from a custom ROM and whether you will actually miss anything from TouchWiz that can't be emulated with another app.

I can register a personal recommendation for Carbon with the Plasma kernel, and I'd stick with the 1.8 stable rom and 1.67 kernel respectively.

I don't think they've quite reached basic usability in their 4.3 branch yet, and plasma has switched to 4.3 as well after 1.67. If you want to live dangerously, though, go for it.

I suggest plasma for its improvements in CPU control mainly; it goes far towards stretching your battery while maintaining good performance.

I suggest Carbon for, just, the degree of professionalism the dev team presents, as compared to any TouchWiz team I've encountered. And, of course, because the rom is loving peerless.

That's how I run my phone, anyways. I can get into specific setup and parameters if you want, by PM or otherwise.

Enjoy, anyways.

E: meant to quote the man with the question, but post stands.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Demon_Corsair posted:

Edit: Carbon looks like combines the best features of PA and CM. Anyone familar with it?

Carbon has been good to me so far on a Note 2. Their 4.3 tree is day-to-day usable now, although they've had some sort of flag day with the telephony engine that precludes the kernel I like. :saddowns:

The 4.2.2 stable branch is excellent. Go for it.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

b0nes posted:

Any of you guys in the CyanogenMod Installer beta? I installed it via the installer, but now my phone doesn't have root. Can I get root back using the same method as you use to root when stock?

You certainly can. I'm not sure why you lost it in the first place, though. If you still have a custom recovery you might be able to restore it from there, too.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Welp, I'm now using CM11 nightlies on my Note 2. I don't have the first clue what I did to my phone but I managed to lose root under Carbon's 4.3 nightlies, and could not restore it with CF Autoroot. That was as much as I felt like trying, so I just dove into CM11.

As a note, on the Sprint Note 2, you may lose your mobile connection entirely on first installation. There's a hotfix out for this that is, of course, buried yards deep in the XDA thread, but I'll provide the link here to potentially save some heartache.

http://www.comfx.com/xda/note2_fixblankradio.zip

Flash it in the recovery of your choice to restore your mobile connection.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Boywunda posted:

So many pages to read, not sure where to start. So I'll just ask.

My N5 is unlocked and rooted. I've been using stock since November and it's suited my purpose for ~7 months. But now I'm feeling rather stagnant and am looking for options and opinions on what to do with it next. When I rooted it, it was for the purpose of flashing the N5 Volume Booster, which worked really well actually. So now what?

What is the general opinion on the best ROM for the N5?
XTools, heard about it. What is it and what are the best modules (?) to use?
What other fun things are out there to do with it?

Instead of just jumping into XDA and trying various crap, I thought I'd ask opinions of Goons on what they have found to work well vs what to avoid.

Thanks in advance!

If you're looking for a full-on custom rom, I've found Carbon to be excellent. I'm not totally sure if you need to go that far on a Nexus, though.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

US SIII Running cyanogenM8, it's working fine but I'm wondering if any of you guys have a ROM you prefer over CM? It's buggyness is getting to me...

I plug Carbon ROM a lot, but that's because it's really solid. They aggregate a lot of good bits from several devs, CM included, and only CM has better dev support, I think.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Leon Sumbitches posted:

A few days ago, my Note 2 running Paranoid Android 3.99 started rebooting itself seemingly at random, and reportedly. Sometimes going into a boot loop for 5 or 6 cycles. I had been running that particular build for months, no problem. So, I went through a several step process and am still having the issue. I reflashed PA, wiped/factory reset and flashed AOKP, which only added abysmal battery life to the issue, and then wiped/reset and flashed Omni Rom. I've had a few reboots since doing that. Each time I'm restoring a recent titanium back up. It doesn't seem to happen in airplane mode, but other than that I can't establish any ideas.

How can I figure out what's going on?

If you can, try swapping in a new battery. Mine had an insurmountable bootloop issue that traced back to a faulty temp sensor in the battery pack, and it's a relatively easy check if you know to try it, instead of RMAing your device twice. Like I did.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I had an absolutely wonderful time trying to manually apply the OTA; rather, I had an absolutely wonderful time troubleshooting Google's USB driver.

The Nexus 5, or mine and a significant number of others', reports a different hardware ID when connected in sideload mode, one that isn't in the driver's manifest, so it's not recognized, but only in that mode.

It's a two line fix in the .inf file, except that it then fails the hash check, so now besides having to manually amend their driver, I also have to turn off signature checking, in order to use an essential function of my phone.

I'd be grudgingly prepared to excuse it if it was under a custom recovery or something, but this was with the pristine factory 5.0 image, so I really don't know why they managed this.

If you have the problem yourself, of the phone not being recognized in sideload mode, then while it's connected in sideload mode, go to the device manager and get its hardware ID, and then add it to android_winusb.inf, under ;Google Nexus (generic), in both the NTx86 and NTamd64 blocks, like so:

code:
;Google Nexus (generic)
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE0
> %CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001                <
> %CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001&REV_0232       <
> %CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D002&REV_0232&MI_00 <
> %CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D002&MI_00          <
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE2&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE4&MI_02
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE6&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4EE7
New entries marked. You'll need to replace those ID strings with whatever yours actually is, since it might be different.

And ~then~

Unless you roll like this anyways, you need to get into deep PC settings and turn off driver signature checking, so that it'll accept the altered driver.

And then you just need to uninstall all the android-related drivers on your system, and reinstall from scratch. Simple, really.

For fucksake. Hope this is useful to someone.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

RVProfootballer posted:

Did you install the Android SDK and the drivers that came with that?

Yeah, three or four times, and the standalone drivers. None of them contained my device's sideload-mode ID.

The issue has shown up enough that I was able to extract the above solution from the AOSP community, which says a bit. I can also not swear with total confidence that something weird wasn't induced by having reflashed the LRX21O recovery; TWRP definitely reported a new and different ID once I got it in place.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

RZA Encryption posted:

this part in their setup guide.

Remember, they're killing iPhones here.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I was on a Note 2 for a good while and thought that I'd find other phones claustrophobic, but the Nexus 5 is really comfortable.

I like tiny text, though.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Boywunda posted:

As a Nexus 5 stock user, I'm getting quite frustrated with the memory leaks on Android 5.0.1. Battery blows, Google Play Music constantly crashes, apps redraw, etc.. Until a fix is sent out, I'm going to try my hand at a custom ROM. What is the general consensus of a "good" custom ROM for the Nexus 5? Obviously the suggestions will be subjective, so please tell me why you like that particular ROM.

Thanks in advance!

I'm still on stock 5.0.1, but with ElementalX kernel, which has helped all of those issues for me except Google Play Music crashing, because I don't use that.

Developer's main site

XDA thread

I haven't seen a custom ROM I'd want to touch, yet, myself.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
For quite a while I was proud owner of a random reboot issue which followed me from the Nexus 5 to the Nexus 6, and which I'm pretty sure I've nailed down to Tasker.

Having apparently resolved that one, and stepped up to the M preview, I've got a new one now. The phone crashes hard, all the way to pre-decryption, and the logs only reflect a SIGSEGV thrown at 0x0 by the boot animation of all things. Those seem to be thrown post-crash during the reboot.

I am expecting this to be a consequence of my modified kernel, which would be right and just, I'm mostly just here to whine about XDA being the only place besides this thread to seek tech support, and about seeking tech support on XDA.

The dev is quite professional and very responsive, but also getting drat tired of hearing from me. I'll probably be doing one or more of reverting to 5.1 or to the stock kernel, but I'd still like to know what could live in userland and crash the device that thoroughly.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I don't know about the new preview, but the first M preview boots with a modified /system, it just complains first. The workaround involved setting selinux permissive in the boot, which I really don't like.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Tunga posted:

Sure, but this is the root thread. Complaining about having to disable SELinux to root your phone seems a little contradictory.

It's basically saying "I don't like that in order to use a random piece of third-party software (SuperSU) to fundamentally break the security model of my phone (get root access) I have use a random piece of third-party software (kernel) to fundamentally break this other part of the security model on my phone (SELinux)."

It seems like an odd place to draw the line, basically.

Providing root access doesn't fundamentally break the security model of my phone; compromised apps do not rely on the user having root permissions, they are meant to exploit plain non-rooted devices.

Disabling SELinux does fundamentally break the security model of my phone, by allowing apps to write outside of their little designated workspaces, and, again, it won't matter whether I, the user, have root permissions.

Requiring SELinux to be disabled for my random third-party kernel to work is an extremely good reason to not use that random third-party kernel, because it is actually disabling a fundamental security layer.

I did mention that installing a third-party kernel does not prevent the phone from booting, it just causes the phone to complain, loudly. I didn't notice any bad behaviour from the phone or kernel while I was running in that state, other than the M preview's inherent flakiness.

If from your point of view even rooting is an unacceptable risk, then you ought to agree that rooting and setting permissive SELinux is an extreme risk, which even lunatics like me should object to.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Tunga posted:

I guess we have different definitions of installing a third-party closed source executable which hijacks a system service at boot time to gain elevated permissions and then allows other processes to gain elevated permissions.

There is no closed-source component or security exploit involved in gaining root access on a Nexus device :confused:

The third-party kernel I've been discussing is open-source.
The ROM I used until 5 dropped is also open-source, and handled superuser permissions natively. CM does, similarly.

Tunga posted:

it isn't fair or accurate to compare Android to desktop Linux because they don't work the same way.

Except when they use the same system element in the same way for the same purpose :confused:

Tunga posted:

I just find it pretty odd to get uptight about disabling SELinux when you're goal is to root. Let's remember that SELinux wasn't even set to enforce until 5.0 (edit: slight correction, it was permissive in 4.3 and partially enforcing in 4.4). Did you manually switch SELinux to enforced on 4.4 (or 4.3)? Or maybe you were actually perfectly happy using a phone without it?

Setting SElinux permissive at boot does require me to install a closed-source hacked bootloader from some random xda poster, and it disables it during boot, where Android's security features are not in play.

Your argument really doesn't make sense.

Tunga posted:

if xposed/GravityBox ever come back and add useful things then I'll most likely root again. I would never root my mum's phone or whatever.

They're back, and I'm using them, but it's alpha builds, so I'm not sure I'd root just for them. They're hosed on Samsung devices still, like. GravityBox is working on a Nexus 6.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Supporting my point a bit, the new hotness in Android vulnerabilities is a fault in StageFright, a base media system used everywhere by everything that shows media, with root permission as a matter of course.

Nothing a stock user or a rooted user can do about it; its severity depends on how much permission the manufacturer gave it.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
It's sort of down to ad-block, gravitybox, and inertia at this point, unless you're just really enthusiastic about breaking your phone repeatedly or you're developing system software.

(I'm enthusiastic about breaking my phone repeatedly :saddowns:)

On the other hand, it's pretty trivial at this point, even for Samsung devices, and does not do any inherent damage just by itself.

Whatever your various reasons for jailbreaking iOs, see if Android does them on its own, I guess. It probably does.

E: That’s a whole goddamn lot of data for some users. Not that I doubt that they'd do it. Madmen.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

wolrah posted:

The only "downside" of unlocking is directly related to the reason it wipes when you unlock, security of your data stored on the device itself. If it's unlocked anyone who has physical access to your device can bypass most software security measures almost trivially.

I don't know if Android's device encryption changes things here or not.

If you don't care about that however there's no reason to leave it locked IMO.

Encryption kinda obviously helps protect data, if your device is turned off, and you've set it to require a key on boot. It's only as strong as your key, of course.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
As for the situation from rooted Marshmallow, there's something going on with filesystem permissions which is annoy me, because it's stopping me from dicking with system files and breaking my phone.

I trust ElementalX kernel and its dev, and Chainfire seems to still be the one pushing out betas. He also provides a boot.img that preserves SELinux enforcement, which I've used, since I was making such a fuss about it.

It's just as bad as using a hacked boot to set it permissive, I guess. It's also probably why I'm having permission problems. I have no idea what I'm doing. :saddowns:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

fishmech posted:

1 Yes, though some things may still be covered regardless becaus eof local laws
2 Yes, and likely yes
3 From the creator, if you get any
4 It's doable
5 Root means you and software have total control of the phone, instead of the limited control you normally have. You have to have it in order to completely replace the system with a new ROM.

You don't actually need root to flash a new rom; operations like that are done outside of the android OS, so android's permissions are never at issue. What you do need is a custom recovery like TWRP, or to use Odin since this is a Samsung device. I've never tried modifying a Samsung phone with plain adb but I'd assume it can be done.

Depending on who assembled your rom, it may come with root rolled into it, or it may blithely assume that everyone wants root and has root, but I think the worst case there is that some say they can't get root and then you go get root if you want those apps, I guess.

e: Not sure if I feel like getting off stock on this S7 Edge; I honestly haven't found much of anything that I used to use root for that the stock rom doesn't do. I can't trawl logs for crash records, I guess, unless I pull them via adb or something, idefk

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Dedicated charging cables actually have a resistor across the data pins and provide no data connection.