Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
For anyone is still using a Magic/Dream on CM: I've been very impressed with the 216 nightly. Seems to be a decent speed increase from stable, has the notification bar power widget, nice tweaks to the camera and has fixed the gallery rotation bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

What recovery is installed? Turn the phone off and start it by pressing the Home and Power buttons.

Anyway I see why it should matter what ROM is running as far as activating it on the network goes - so long as its not stolen they should do it. Don't expect them to mess around putting it back to stock for you though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

PapFinn posted:

When I boot into recovery, the Build listed is RA-heroc-v1.6.2

I figured they wouldn't have the ability to put the stock image back on it. I'm just not sure since it's 1.5 and since I have no idea how long ago it was rooted/flashed if I can drop the latest version of whatever Hero-compatible ROM is out onto the sd card and "Flash zip from sdcard" from recovery.

You should be able to - just check there aren't any special radio or SPL requirements for whatever you want to flash. You can probably grab the stock image from somewhere if you really want, or a rooted version of it but I don't see a real reason when cyanogenmod works nicely.

Have a look on the wiki on http://cyanogenmod.com when it comes back up (currently down for maintenance)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Casao posted:

It's not. It's always been in CM, since like, the CM4 days. Unless it broke in the nightlies, it was there and working. I'm not even aware of a way to disable. Have you been skinning or something?

I'm getting the 'H' for the first time since flashing the 220 D/S nightly (over CM6 stable). Now it could be my network rolled out HSPA+ on the same evening I flashed 220 but others on the Dream/Sapphire in other places have reported seeing the 'H' for the first time too.

Mine actually only shows the H during data transfers, its 3G when the connection is idle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

Is Launcher Pro any good? I kinda like Sense.

Try it and see. Most of us love it and if you don't its easy enough to get rid of.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Drevoak posted:

Today I barely touched my phone. 8 Hours it has been off the charger. Battery is at 63%. Battery usage says Display is at 35%, Cell Standby is 27% and Phone Idle is 25%. Clicking on display will say that the screen has been on for 7.5 minutes. Meaning I have had the display on for 7.5 minutes in the past 8 hours. How on earth does 7.5 minutes of display time account for 35% of the battery drain? I have the brightness set for auto.

How is your overall battery life?

Sense and AOSP include different things under the display heading and its normal for display to be way at the top of the list. That said yours does sound extreme, but I think you should do a few cycles to see it settles down before worrying.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Drevoak posted:

When I first started using CM6 my battery life was okay, I could have the battery last a good 18-20 hours. I haven't been texting a whole lot so I bet the battery would be a whole lot worse if I was. I've been using CM6 for like 3 months now, it is totally normal for me to have my display always at the top in any situation. Even if the display is on for 30 minutes for an entire day, it'll be at the top.

Display would probably be at the top for me too if I left it on for 30 minutes over the course of a day.

My usage looks like:

That is with the display on for only 12.5 minutes out of 14 hours (40% brightness, Magic so no light sensor)

There is definitely something up with your phone if its heating up and giving you crappy battery life though, for me the later builds of CM6 have improved things immensely.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

yamdankee posted:

I followed this guide to root a T-Mobile myTouch 3G Magic running 1.6. I boot into the recovery that is flashed onto it, but I see no option to back up. Did something go wrong?

What does your recovery look like? If it doesn't look like below then it hasn't taken for some reason, try flashing it again (step 7 in the guide)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

wca posted:

Use this easy ultimate guide with video tutorials instead: http://theunlockr.com/2010/04/26/how-to-root-the-htc-mytouch-3g/

This has to be the best guide to root a MyTouch-3G 1.6. OP, if you can add to the front page that would be awesome.

Thats rather convoluted when we have Universal Androot and similar.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

beepee posted:

Finally rooted my HTC Magic 32B (which I still refuse to call a "MyTouch") from stock Android 1.6 to CyanogenMod6/2.2. The 32B is still way too hilariously underpowered for Android's processor/memory demands, even with any supposed Froyo performance improvements. New CoolIris-crippled Gallery app is especially a pain. Any way to get simpler gallery apps that can replace the default Android Gallery?

For me the 2d Gallery is even slower than the standard CM6 3d one.

There are lots of speed improvements between the CM6.0 and 6.1RC though, it'd be worth a flash to see if it helps. Also you pretty much need compcache enabled, don't think it is by default.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

yamdankee posted:

I installed CM onto a T-Mobile myTouch (32A) using this guide. Wiped before I installed the update.zip. The phone tries to boot and when it starts to draw the picture of the android guy it freezes. I took the battery out and rewiped and reinstalled, twice. It keeps freezing at the android guy. Am I supposed to be using a specific recovery or something? That guide mentioned using a certain recovery but I'm using the recovery from a guide I posted last.

So you used recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.7.0H.img right?

It should work okay but I'd grab a copy from http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/2327-cyanogenmod-61-for-ds-they-said-it-couldnt-do-that-v610-rc1-10272010/ - make sure you get the correct one, I think you need Ebi1 (but check it out on the wiki first http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=How_to_determine_if_you_have_32A_or_32B)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

So you're 32B then?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Kuvo posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like that's a bit too easy.

No it really is that easy. Depending on handset the first step can be a pain in the arse but once thats done everything gets really easy.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

I assume general push functions will only turn on for 1 minute, meaning Trillian, Gtalk, mail, etc, correct? What about SMS? Those still come in real time, right? That's not data as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

I'm at a conference with fairly flaky 3G coverage inside, but still need to receive texts and calls. Mail can be queued up every 15 minutes, that's fine. IM functionality would be nice, but I need my battery to survive the day so I can live with the loss of instant IM communication provided I have SMS.

SMS still works without data but you'd have to experiment with GMail/Talk push - sometimes it seems to take a while before it starts working again after turning data on and I have a feeling a minute won't be enough. Perhaps you'd be better off just switching data to 2G only and living with the slowness.

I'm surprised they don't provide wifi at the conference though, especially if the mobile service is bad.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

All right what the gently caress, I flashed the GApps.zip posted last page after booting up CM7 on my Evo and Still. No. loving. Market. I just need to download one loving app, All I want is my loving titanium to restore my apps. Why in the name of god does this ROM not come with a loving Market in the first place. :bang:

Did the other GApps take?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

This is a shot in the dark, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommended a ROM for my MyTouch 3G/HTC Magic.

Here is the information from FASTBOOT:
code:
SAPPHIRE PVT 32B
HBOOT-1.33.0006 (SAPP30000)
CPLD-10
RADIO-2.22.19.26I
Also: Generally, how safe is it to install a new radio and/or spl?

I'm using CM6.1 with the same radio and 1.33.0004 SPL (which is what my phone came with)

Works fine but be aware these are old phones now with limited RAM (especially the 32B which we have) so don't expect any performance miracles.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

orange lime posted:

I've found that HTC phones just tend to have poor DACs for music; hissy and poppy and they definitely reduce the sampling rate at some point in the chain. The ones in my MT3G are unbearably bad while those in my sister's Fascinate are awesome. Hopefully you do find a tweak, but I couldn't find anything when I looked a few months ago -- you're likely stuck with it.

I got a massive increase in quality somewhere between CM5 and CM6 on my HTC Magic (original without the 3.5mm socket). Its still a bit hissy during quiet passages but the general poor sample rate sound is gone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

wooden pants posted:

Using CM6.1, I keep accidentally closing my Dockbar.
I added a shortcut to bring it back, but I'd love to find a way to prevent it from closing or at least make it more difficult to close.

Anyone got any tips?

Thats actually displaying another dockbar that you can drop shortcuts onto. To close it just swipe downwards on the blank area.

If you want to disable it entirely go into ADW Settings > UI Settings and uncheck 'Dockbar' under the Hidden Dockbar section

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Civil posted:

My wife has done that occasionally with ADW. The hide-able dockbar seems to be the most useless of features.

Just disable it then. Personally I like it better than LPs scrolling dockbar, but I can see how it could confuse especially if its empty

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Chillmatic posted:

Just tried that and while it appears I do have root now, I can't get into recovery through ROM manager...it just reboots straight into the OS again. I tried flashing the other recovery, and then back to clockwork, with no luck. I do get the root prompt though and I can finally get rid of all the god drat bloat that came on this thing.

Any tips for getting recovery to work?

Like the Milestone/Milestone 2 that probably isn't going to be simple.

At this point I don't know if there is any way to flash an actual custom ROM, might be best to keep your eye on XDA (although there is little activity around these phones)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Does CM7 have Facebook integration with contacts like the Sense ROMS do (Facebook picture as contact picture for example)?

Thats standard in AOSP

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

calandryll posted:

My girlfriend's G1 is acting wonky, what is the best ROM to use for it now? I know I installed something other than cyanogen's 6.1 awhile ago but can't remember the name of the ROM.

CM6.1 is the best available IMO - just make sure you flash the new radio as this frees up some memory and improves performance immensely (its a bit of a process but well worth it, check XDA).

What exactly is being wonky about it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

calandryll posted:

There is also just a general slowness, according to her, my few seconds of playing with it was completely normal.

Yeah thats the hardware - there simply isn't any way around it.

Lack of memory is the big problem, you really need compcache turned on but that tends to bog down after a few days of usage. I just reboot every couple of days and try not to use more modern phones :)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Just use Typefresh (link is a few posts above yours)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'd like to smugly add that I've just installed one of the unofficial CM7 based roms on my 32b Magic and everything aside from USB tether appears to be working perfectly.

I'm quite frankly amazed at the continued community support for old HTC devices, especially ones that shipped with 1.5 when that was relatively new.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Ashex posted:

I've given up using the built-in applications screen in settings and just use Appbrain when I want to uninstall things.

If you have Launcher Pro you can uninstall directly from the app drawer (or home screen). Just press and hold an apps icon, drag it down to the trash bin and hold for a second or so.

I Dont Like You posted:

I thought the On SD card tab showed which apps can be moved to the SD card (as well as which ones are on there)?

It sure does on CM7 (and I'm pretty sure its the standard way, I don't have an ext partition or anything):

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

Green means that the phone is able to connect to google's servers. It will be green even if there is no active transfer in use.

White usually means that you are connected but with out internet... Like connected to a WiFi AP that has a web splash page you have to agree to before you get internet.

Are you sure about that? Mine only goes green when there is an actual transfer in progress.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

madkapitolist posted:

Any other gingerbread rom reccomendations? Anyone try Yoshi?

I have Yoshi RC 5.1 on a 32B board Magic (so similar hardware).

It runs as well as any other ROM ever has on this phone, actually probably a little better than it did on CM6 (which is to say its still slow as hell, but hey can't expect miracles right). I've had zero crashes so far though which is encouraging, just a few weird things with tones changing on their own.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The new radio should have made a world of difference. +10MB free memory is very significant when we're talking about a device with ~100MB available to the OS (with the old radio)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

I don't think that option is there in CM7. Looked high and low for it when it first came out in settings. These days, I just resort to having an orientation on/off toggle when I'm in bed.

The 180 degree option is still under CyanogenMod settings > Display but I can't see 270 anywhere

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

Since this might be a CM7-related issue, posting it here. I can't update more than 2 apps at a time for some odd reason. I get a "Not enough memory" error, when I've got 800 MB of internal storage left for apps. Anyone else have this?

How much space do you have on the SD card?

I've had the same message when an app has decided it wants to install to the card even when there is plenty of internal memory available.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Probably network dependent but my carrier uses two APNs, one for normal data the other for MMS

The APN type for the normal one is 'default,supl' the MMS one is 'mms'

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The question is are they going to unlock the Desire S/Incredible S?

If so it makes it much easier to chose one of them over the Nexus S

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

If you don't mind paying PdaNet works for that without root.

Bluetooth tethering never works very well for me though, its simply too slow. You might want to investigate USB or Wifi (both of which you can get with root)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Once you've unlocked the bootloader it shouldn't matter whether or not your current ROM is rootable - just flash a recovery and use that to flash whatever ROM you want

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Nexus_One:_Full_Update_Guide

If you want to do it WITHOUT unlocking the bootloader I guess it gets more complicated but I don't see any reason you shouldn't just go ahead and unlock it

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Are you sure your recovery flashed correctly.

It should look something like this (except with Dream instead of Sapphire)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Granted it's a promise and not action yet, but HTC is now saying the Sensation's bootloader will be unlocked via software update. Good news since that along with a few other models got out the door before HTC changed their policy.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-support-statements-show-possible-sensation-unlock-path

If they unlock the Desire S I'm totally buying one

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

brc64 posted:

I know I have seen the 1500 (or possibly 1500000, more likely) show up in some system log before related to the battery, which is why I suspect it's worked into the OS on some level. It would probably take me a while to find again, but I'll look if you want.

Maybe your battery is misreporting its size

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

What OS are you currently running?

If you're still on 1.6 you can expect some pretty serious responsiveness boosts from 2.2, as well as the new features and improved app compatibility.

I'd stick with CM6 though, there are unofficial CM7 ports but performance suffers a bit IMO. Also be aware that Froyo isn't going to work wonders on a device with such little memory, I've found a small swap file on the SD card really improves performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mobn posted:

But what benefit does it provide to someone like me that just uses his phone for a web browser and gaming device over having a warranty since rooting it will void that?

Your phone is already Sense-less right? In that case I'd just leave it standard, exactly as I've done with my Nexus S

Having come from a CM phone these are the main features I miss
- Better configuration options for screen timeout/lock - on CM I had the screen turn off quickly to save battery but the screen lock delayed so it was easier to wake the phone up
- Individually dismissable notifications (seriously surprised that stock lacks this)
- The customisations of the stock messaging app, eg dark background, adjustable text size etc
- Lock screen music controls