Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Trying to root a new Incredible (SLCD model), and I'm running into issues. I pushed CM6 stable to it after using Unrevoked to root, but the version of CM isn't compatible with SLCDs. I'm trying to flash a new recovery via HBOOT, but it won't find anything. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Casao posted:

I'm not familiar with Unrevoked, but Recoveries and ROMs are two differentt things - did flashing CM6 somehow wipe out your recovery? Or does UnRevoked on the SLCD Incredible not give you a custom recovery?

The recovery image that Unrevoked pushed to the Incredible is buggy under the new model of Incredible, it seems. I finally fixed it, had to find a version of CM that worked with the new hardware, extract the recovery.img file, manually push it to the sdcard and then to the phone. After that, I could boot into recovery.

Now it can't mount the sdcard, though. Hrm.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

serewit posted:

Now it can't mount the sdcard, though. Hrm.

Well, after loving up 5 sd cards, I managed to get a CM build onto one and flash it through CM. And now we're just sitting at the white screen with 'HTC Incredible'. Oh, it just went pretty colors for a moment, then back to the 'HTC Incredible'.

Got half a mind to swap it out and not gently caress around with root until Unrevoked updates.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I've got an Inspire 4G (Desire HD) that I rooted and put CM7 RC2 on yesterday. Whenever I turn wifi on and scan for APs, the phone crashes and goes into an unrecoverable reboot cycle, only way out is to boot into recovery and wipe. I've checked the CM forums and haven't seen anything about this, is it something with CM7, my phone, what?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Are you restoring system settings with Titanium? That could cause weirdness.

If not, try redownloading CM7, wiping everything (cache, dalvik, and the system, all separately), then trying again.

Did you wipe all that out the first time? This sounds like everything wasn't wiped.

I started from absolute bare-bones stock. The only thing that was really weird to me was I had a hell of a time getting the root to go thru, and even once I did, SU kept force closing on me. I eventually just copied the CM7 image onto the SD card and booted into recovery, installing it that way.

I'll try wiping everything out and installing again.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Binge posted:

Has there been any discussion about this: P3Droid's news about upcoming policy changes with US Carriers regarding rooting.

So the big US Carriers are apparently getting pissed about rooted phones, and mainly the ability to tether. I have a Xoom, and an OG Droid, both have Verizon plans. I pay 30/mo for unlimited on the droid, and 20/mo for 1gb on the Xoom. My Droid has already had to be its tether when I went over my 1gb in my first month. I know there's the argument that it's their business, and they're trying to protect themselves. But this seems quite ridiculous. Is Verizon not raking in money by the second from billions of text message fees, data plans noone comes close to using their max on, etc? Do they really need to piss off an entire segment of their users to make a few extra bucks? Is it not ridiculous that I have 3 devices on my Verizon plan, and 3 different data plans? Plus data at home with my ISP?

I dunno, they're gonna have to pry my rooted/gingerbreaded Droid from my dead fingers before I return it to stock, if everything P3Droid is saying in that post is true.

When you get down to it, though, the carriers aren't exactly wrong or out of line in their stance. If you root your phone for the express purpose of utilizing services you aren't paying for, well...

Also, the ubiquity of information about rooting means that a lot of people who don't know what the gently caress are going out, bricking their phones, and returning them to the store for warranty service, which raises the cost for people who have legitimate warranty claims.

I don't really mind the idea of locked-down phones, assuming two things. One, that there's always an unlocked option available, and two, that there's always a pure 'Google Experience' phone available. If the OEMs can provide that, then I won't be too broken up that I can't root.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

wolrah posted:

No, they are in the wrong. I'm using DATA. There's no difference to Sprint whether I open slashdot.org with Mobile Firefox/Android Browser or Firefox/Chrome/Safari on my laptop, so why should I pay more to be able to do the latter when my hardware and software are already capable of it? Hell, browsing on the full PC I'm likely to transfer LESS because I have a fully functional ad blocker rather than the half-rear end systems people have rigged up for phones. There's nothing I do on a tethered connection which I can't also do natively on the phone, it's just easier to do it on a big screen with a keyboard.

Tethering is a "service" the carriers made up to justify charging more.

You signed a contract with the carrier to use the service on their terms, not yours. I agree, it's bullshit, but it's bullshit you agreed to when you activated a phone on their network.

Enough with that derail, though.

Is there an easy way to get GPS to work on the Inspire 4G/Desire HD under CM7 RC4? I've tried reinstalling from a full wipe several times, and it will never locate me in maps.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

trilljester posted:

Do you have a case on your Inspire?

Yeah, but it wasn't working before I put the case on, either.

I tried some things (##GPS somethingoranother), but I can't find a lot of information other than "works for me!" and stuff referring to a patch that I gather has been merged into RC4. Kind of frustrating. :sigh:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

trilljester posted:

Can you confirm GPS was working on stock ROM?

I never tried it on stock... :negative:

The weird thing is, I did have it working on RC3 for a little while, even with wifi off. It was sort of inaccurate, but it worked. That's what leads me to think it's a software issue.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

trilljester posted:

Do you have FasterFix installed? If not, grab it from the Market, it really does help my Inspire get a GPS signal/lock faster. Also, there are some GPS tools in the market which show some really useful info on your GPS. I think they're called GPS Status and GPS Test. Both are free.

Tried this, sat outside for about 5 minutes, it never got a single satellite on GPS Test. I guess it doesn't really matter, I'll wait it out and see if they can get it fixed some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Latest CM7 nightly fixed the 'sound but no video' error on Netflix for my Inspire. I wasn't planning on doing any work today anyway! :dance: