Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

helsabot posted:

This got missed, from the last page, but i'm thinking the radio is separate, right?

That's my understanding. With my T-Mobile G2, and I think all smartphones, the 'radio' is actually a separate processor core - an ARM7 in this case - running a separate closed-source real-time operating system which handles the low-level details of talking GSM/CDMA and presenting a modem-link syntax over a serial link or whatever to the CPU running Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tooter posted:

I recently purchased a Nook color and am looking for an easy way to root it so I can transfer my amazing apps over to it and just make it look pretty. Then show it off to everyone at my company who bought an iPad and laugh. Any help with this? The stuff I found online was about it being rooted but no real how to's.
I'm sure I could find some if I were to really dig into it, but I'm high on pain meds and about to go to sleep. Figured I would ask prior to passing out and see what comes up when I wake up. Thank you

Your google-fu is weak, old man.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=942424

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Civil posted:

I originally had hopes that Homeycomb would be the next CM target, but all signs point to it being a huge mess. Hopefully work on Ice Cream is moving ahead.

Work by Google on Ice Cream, I presume you mean. Cyanogen obviously can't do anything til source is released.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Solly posted:

well I shat a brick so Im willing to bet its still a brick. I mean unless you apply the fix it is bricked.

This is a bit like shutting down your phone and saying 'unless I turn my phone on it's bricked'. Bricking a device means killing it to the extent that it is permanently as useless as a brick to a normal person, which with a phone tends to mean wiping the bootloader somehow.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The General posted:

I can't even get it to turn on. I mean, literally turn on. It doesnt recognize the power button being pressed, or the fact that it's plugged into a charger.

This probably won't help, but have you tried removing and re-seating the battery? The one and only time my phone did this (not during the process of rooting), that's what fixed it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DigitalMocking posted:

I use mine to check the ticketing system at work, read comics, gmail, browse facebook, watch youtube and Hulu and watch tv shows/movies. For that its perfect for the price.

If you're watching video in a format the GPU can't hardware accelerate, you'll want that processing power. My Nook can definitely be laggy with AVI files in rockplayer for instance. Not to say it isn't still awesome, but there is a valid reason occasionally to want some more CPU grunt.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 16, 2011

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fuzz posted:

So any guides to rooting an HTC Thunderbolt? Didn't see it in the OP.

EDIT: nevermind, found it on page 91.

So which version of CM7 are y'all using on your NCs? I'm still running autonooted stock, mainly because I am afraid of warranty voiding, but if CM7 is really that damned wonderful, I might have to take the plunge this weekend.

7.0 final, which includes the new tablet tweaks. Works great. :getin:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Sounds like it to me. Probably for a mouse or keyboard, external storage, etc.

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/accessory.html

Doesn't sound like it's USB host, more support for certain gadgets specifically designed to work with Android phones (related to the home automation stuff Google's been talking up recently)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Frozen-Solid posted:

I love how people bitch about flash counters and ASUS's phoning home when you unlock your bootloader. The Prime forums on XDA are obsessed about trying to find a way to make the unlock tool not phone home, as if doing so would keep your warranty from being voided. It's not like ASUS won't be able to tell you bricked your phone/tablet by being a dumbass and voiding the warranty when they get your product at the RMA center anyways. The only difference it makes is that when you call up they won't even give you an RMA so you're not wasting your and their time by sending in a voided product. Either company would just take the RMA, look at it, tell you it's not covered and send it back costing them money.

In other words: people are dumb.

Well, uh, except with most devices you can flash back to stock before sending it in if you have an RMA issue (as long as it's not so severe an issue you can't flash anything at all). I don't think Asus are being unreasonable per se, but it does make a difference.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LastInLine posted:

It doesn't look good, though Chainfire will be working on SuperSU for the next couple years. As it is though you're right, I can't find a kernel I'd trust for my Nexus 5 and I'm currently unrooted for the first time in a long time.

For a Nexus device specifically, you can build AOSP from source and flash it fully Google-approved and not worry about that kind of poo poo, surely.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hmm. I've got a Galaxy Tab S2 (t810) . It's running Android 5.0. I've rooted it just fine. But it just won't take a custom recovery via Odin or Heimdall. Once or twice I've got it to take TWRM briefly but as soon as I reboot it goes back to the stock recovery - and this is when rebooting straight to recovery, not booting the main OS, so it's not the known issue of Android flashing the stock recovery on boot. Most of the time I don't even get that far. Anyone know if recent Samsung stuff has hijinx in the bootloader to overwrite a custom recovery or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Eikre posted:

Is there a simple way to make save-states of ordinary apps in rooted android? Like the kind of poo poo that you would expect out of an emulator or virtual machine: mirror an app's current exact state in memory and then just drop it right back into that snapshot at your leisure. It's easy with virtualization because you have the entire machine in a jar and don't need to dissect shared resources, but my understanding is that hypervisors on Android are already kind of a thing (isn't it how Samsung's Knox works?) so I was thinking someone might have made an app-wrapper to do exactly this.

I mean, you can't do this with regular Linux, so I would be surprised if you could somehow do it on Android.