Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.
Is Google voice broken for anyone else on the last two nightlys for cyanogen? I'm talking the input when you search or the voice>text in messaging, all that is broken for me, on the OG Droid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

When flashing from a nightly to say the 6.1 RC, should I wipe my data and cache, or would I be fine just going to the RC since its still cyanogen?

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

So I was thinking today, is there any reliable way to let my 360 connect to live via my laptop which would be using my phone as the internet? I know I can use ICS and wireless, but the laptop is picky on weather or not it wants to pick up my phone as an access point, and I am looking for more of a direct way(like say tethering with whats built into CM6). If this isn't possible just say so, it is no big deal, just curiosity really.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

THF13 posted:

Voice search is broken on my motorola Droid running the newest cyanogen. Force closes as soon as I launch it. I've tried reinstalling the google apps package and deleting the application data but neither has worked and not sure what to try next.

I had this problem for a while. I had to fix it by doing a complete wipe but then it worked. It stayed broken across multiple nightlies and I couldn't find any other way to fix it. So I would just backup with titanium and do a complete wipe. Should fix everything.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

BLOG THAT poo poo posted:

I decided to try out the new Cyanogenmod. The only thing I'm having trouble with now is opening the Cyanogenmod settings. It just force closes every time. Any tricks I'm missing?

Honestly sounds like an error in flashing, did you wipe data and cache when you flashed the rom?

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

BLOG THAT poo poo posted:

I didn't but I'll give that a shot.

When flashing a new rom, ALWAYS backup your existing rom and wipe data and cache. The only time you don't have to wipe data/cache is when you are going from say, a cyanogen nightly to another, as long as you are moving up that is.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

n0manarmy posted:

I'm running Cyanogen 6.1.0 RC5 on my OG Droid and have been having some issues so I wanted to throw this out.

I'm thinking of going to Cyanogen 6.1.2 and wanted to know a few things. Whats the best way to back up my desktop and apps so that I can do a full wipe and put them back on, saves and all?

I was going to run Titanium backup for all user apps and then do a backup of ADWlauncher settings and desktop. Is there a better way?

Also with my OG droid I've been experiencing funny issues. I posted these issues on Cyanogen's site and they said that its because I don't have a lot of system memory. When I leave applications I'll sometimes come back to my desktop and all my icons will be gone and the launcher will have the place holder icons. If I give it 10 seconds, the icons all come back. It's kind of like adwlauncher has crashed. I've done my best to open up system memory and I usually run about 90mb free when I look in system. Is this a product of no memory, kernel choice, lovely setup?

You can use Titanium backup to backup all user apps and system data, this will save everything for you, including desktop state. I also have an OG droid and I sometimes run into a blank ADW screen, but only for a few seconds and maybe once a day if I let my phone turn off inside an app. I am overclocked at 1100 Mhz but still controlled by setCPU, so that helps, and while I have a slightly weaker battery, I have a great phone still. I hope this helped!

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Mo0 posted:

(And am I alone in thinking that Bugless Beast is worse than CM6?)

I used BB for a few hours and had to go back to CM6, which I've never wanted to goto anything else besides after, except MIUI but since its not listed in Rom Manager I've been too lazy to go out and find a build of it to try out. What exactly does BB have to offer over CM6 anyway, or what are its selling points rather?

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

rckstar79 posted:

Are you using a Droid 1? If so, MIUI is in Rom Manager: it's listed under jamezelle--the guy who ports it.

I've been using MIUI for a couple of weeks, and it's the best looking adaptation of Android I've seen yet.

Oh really? Well drat I am gonna have to check that out tonight, thanks for the tip, I was just looking for MIUI, looking forward to this!

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Casao posted:

You could also just grab the real one from MIUI-Dev.com - all the other ones are pretty much just repackaged versions of this.

Maybe Rom Manager is easier, but this works for every device miui exists for, more or less.

I've honestly never flashed a rom with anything other than rom manager. I know how, or I'm fairly sure how, not to sure if I have to rename everything I flash update.zip and throw it in the root, but maybe I will try that out too, thanks for the heads up on that. Are there any apps MIUI doesn't play nice with by the way? You seem to be the resident "MIUI guy" Casao so I figure you would know.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Casao posted:

I haven't found any, but I guess it's possible. It's Android 2.2, though.

But no, to flash something, you can download both of the files and use Rom Manager to flash the files from the SD card. If you turn on the advanced mode, you can even queue both of them back to back.

I dunno if the one in ROM Manager is any good or bad, but the ones for the N1 were the basic rom with lovely stuff added on top.

It's a good skill to have, though.

Ok it's good to know, but I do have a question. What do you mean by both files, are there two sets of files I need to flash MIUI in this way, or do you mean MIUI and Google apps? Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I could easily google this up, I just prefer asking a person to be honest. Thanks though for the info!

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Flashed the official CM7 Nightly last night on my Motorola Droid, I really like how smooth it is and everything, but I do have a question for anyone else on CM7 and anyone on a moto droid running CM7. First, DSPManager force closes when I start up my phone and when I try to open it, would this be because of me restoring my system data? Secondly, and this is for the Moto Droid users, does your keyboard no longer light up? Mine has stopped and I am assuming it has to do with the nightly.

EDIT: Not sure why I didn't think to do it earlier but wiping the data fixed DSP Manager, so now only my hardware keyboard question remains.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I would wager that you are right in both cases. Also, restoring system data across different builds of Android (e.g. 2.2 to 2.3) is never a good idea.

Well Titanium Backup has an option that says something to the effect of "safely restore system data across different versions" and honestly, the only thing I wanted to restore was my call log and my SMS messages,if I knew exactly what entries to restore for that, I would be golden. My phone also seems to randomly reboot, albeit very rarely. It hasn't been enough to be a bother, but I bet as soon as it force closes on me in the middle of a game of angry birds or something I'll be mad.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

deong posted:

If your mostly after SMS/MMS and call log, just get into the habit of installing SMSBackup+. It backs up to gmail so you can search through old text, and lets you back them onto the phone if needed.

I have that, but its already backed up 10000 texts, and there's no option to restore the 200 newest, it just restores the first 200 that were backed up(or all of them if I don't restrict it, in which case id be perfectly backed up, but 10,000 messages takes awhile), unless there's something I am missing, but this does do the job for backing everything up, it just doesn't play nice when it comes to restoring.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

I guess I should have been more specific,
I can't find the options to turn off the clock/turn on/off battery percentage in the notification bar.

Im fairly sure these aren't in CM7 yet, I looked through all my options and I didn't see it either.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Casao posted:

Change the label in Gmail from SMS to SMS-Old on all but the last 200, or however many you want.

Not sure why I didn't think of this, but thanks much! Just decided to start fresh on it all since I already got my messages, but this is a good bit of info to know.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Moogs posted:

To be clear, if I "backup all user apps + system data" in Titanium Backup, and then install CM7 with ROM Manager, I should then be able to restore my apps from Titanium and have the new ROM with all my current apps and data? Is that correct?

Yes do NOT restore system data, it broke about half of CM7 for me, and I still haven't fixed it yet. I am going to have to do a total wipe/reflash in order to fix it. App data will be fine I am assuming, but system data should be left alone.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Moogs posted:

Ack, that sucks. Okay, I'm going to stop this process, clear my backups, and then backup just the apps. What's the best way to ensure I save all my stuff, like my pictures? I think that's all I have on there that really needs to be saved...

I'm not too sure how it works on your phone, but my pictures are all saved externally on the SD, so wiping data and cache never hurts my gallery. You can still keep your backups, and you are going to want to do a nandroid backup just in case anyway, when you restore just don't restore the system data, just user apps and data.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

CloFan posted:

What's up fellow Vibrant owner? I got mine about a week ago, loving it so far. I tried out Axura, ended up not liking it. Right now I'm running Nero4.1 TWE and it works very good. I still want to try some others out, but I like this one.

I have a couple general questions. Is nandroid sort of like Norton Ghost, in that it just saves an image of everything and can be flashed back to the phone anytime later with everything just the way you left it? What does Titanium Backup classify as "system data"? Is there an easy way to save my homescreen setup (Using Zeam launcher), so that when I load a new ROM I don't have to redo everything?

Yes thats exactly what a nandroid is, an image of your phone exactly as it is at the time you make it. As far as Titanium backup, it varies from phone to phone/rom to rom what is classified as system data, but its contacts/SMS messages/settings. If you backup the data for Zeam Launcher(I assume its an app?) it should restore your setup exactly as it was minus widgets, you will have to reset those yourself due to how android works.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

CloFan posted:

Cool, thanks! Does TB backup the standard android desktop? it never seemed to for me. I'm talking about the shortcuts to apps and settings (such as number of screens, which one is the main one, etc)

If you backup all system data I don't see why it wouldn't, but I have always used ADW/LPP so those settings have their own option. After you restore the system data restart the phone and see, I remember when I first was using TB I restored system data, my screens and texts stayed the same, then a day or so later i restarted my phone and it was restored to the backup point and I lost everything I did in the previous day.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

A while back I rooted my friends lg ally for her so she could use wifi tethering. Today there was apparently a system update and it broke the root I had done, and I hadn't made a nandroid just because it seemed un needed. Well now I can't seem to get it to re root with z4root. Even after a factory reset, which I think just deleted all user data, I can't get it to root, but the superuser icon is still in the app drawer. I'm guessing the only solution is to use adb to fix it but I'm not too sure. Anyone have any insight on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

This is pretty much the state I'm in now. It's pretty euphoric just how much snappier everything is with the OG Droid.

Have a lot of issues come up with over clocking the phones? I saw the other day that someone over clocked their OG Droid to 900MHz, which seems pretty ridiculous seeing as how it's at 550MHz now even though it's a 600MHz processor. What about overheating and the other stuff that you worry about when over clocking?

Im almost 100% sure the droid isnt a 600MHz processor. ive overclocked mine to 1100MHz, and while it was kind of a bitch on batterylife til i setup setcpu, it never got any hotter than normal unless setcpu stopped controlling it and let it run free. It is just clocked at 600 by default in stock kernels i think.

EDIT: ignore this, was using the awful app on my phone, thought I was at the end of the topic.

Primworm fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 17, 2011