Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

dissss posted:

For anyone is still using a Magic/Dream on CM: I've been very impressed with the 216 nightly. Seems to be a decent speed increase from stable, has the notification bar power widget, nice tweaks to the camera and has fixed the gallery rotation bug.

I will second this. Apparently they incorporated some of the pieces of the official 2.2 update (which flies, even faster than these latest CM6 builds) and it's helped the speed quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

PapFinn posted:

I've been trying to read up on this so I'm sure, but I always seem to get conflicting information. I'm looking to buy a Hero off of Craigslist to use on Sprint.

Should I be able to somewhat painlessly run Universal Androot and then pick a ROM through ROM Manager?

I really just want to negate as best I can the apparent sluggishness of the phone and have 2.2 running on it.
The best things to do would be:
- Root with UA
- Flash CM6 latest nightly
- Use SetCPU to OC (available for free @ XDA)
I have a MyTouch 3G still (very similar hardware), and my little guy still runs pretty well.

Just be careful you buy a phone with a clean ESN, or else Sprint won't let you use it, nor will they have any sympathy.

*Edit: Mostly beaten.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yamdankee posted:

Ok, I'm really stuck.

Rooted Samsung Galaxy I7500 using this method.

Everything is fine except all the google apps are gone. I try "restore gapps" in recovery, gives me an error to check recovery.log. I try the gapps.zip for this phone, it installs but only a few of the apps are there. Market is missing.

I tried rewiping, reinstalling 1.6 Galaxeo, several times. Not doing the trick. Tried fixing permissions many times.

tl;dr - I need Market on this I7500!
Install the "tiny" gapps zip, see if that does it. On the Dream/Magic, the full gapps is too big for internal memory, and Market ends up being left out. Took me SO long to figure that out, when it was already documented. :\

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

DeeVoc posted:

For anyone who has a G1 and isn't on the 2708 kernel, you really owe it to yourself to jump over. The 14mb of system ram that gets freed up makes a world of different. I'm on the 2.1 biffmod port of it and loving every minute of it. Usually after I've flashed a froyo rom everything goes to crap after a number of apps have woken up and eaten up memory, can't complain at all this time around.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=831139
I've been out of the Android loop since I switched carriers and away from Android, but I'm playing with my old MT3G (32B) now.
Is there an update.zip for this that doesn't involve fastboot? I'm not sure how easy it is to get a fastboot-enabled SPL working on my phone, and would love to just be able to flash a zip to get it to work.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

deong posted:

im pretty sure.
I love the size of the n7, wish they'd update it. But tablets are dead apparently :(.

Nvidia Shield K1 is what you're looking for, then. Small, low-cost 7" tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Guillermus posted:

But the Shield K1 is almost impossible to get these days. They still make it, but in low numbers and they get out of stock really quick. I'm really lucky with my N7 2013 since I use it on a daily basis and its battery life is still good, has no NAND problems and outside Android 5 wich was garbage, it works flawlessly. Version is 6.0.1 MOB30X and performs like any modern device wich is amazing considering the old SoC it uses.

It's been in stock at Best Buy and Amazon every time I've checked over the last six months or so, so if it was out of stock early, it's been plentiful lately.