Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Cyanogen isn't on the Droid 2, is it? Is there any particular reason? It looks like there's not much Droid 2 development going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I want to take off some of the stupid apps that came with my Droid 2, but I'm worried about deleting something that might be system critical or used by other apps, or something. Is there a list of apps I can safely delete from my Droid 2? And I use Root Explorer to do so, right?

While I'm here, I might as well fish for new launcher recommendations. I'm using LauncherPro, but it's a bit slow, so if cleaning up some of these unwanted apps and widgets(who thought that sticky note was a good idea) doesn't speed things up, I'll be looking for another.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

It's not so much that I need it gone for every reason, but that its presence offends me. That probably sounds super nerdy, but I can't stand for my computer to ever tell me I can't do something. I just think, I own you. You have to do what I say.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Hi, not sure this is the right place to ask this question, but it's the closest I could find. I rooted my phone a while back and installed Cyanogenmod for my device(Droid 4). I had updated to a few new stable builds, until one day I accidentally did a nightly of whatever the CM equivalent is for Android 4.3. Now my Google Play Store can't connect, and my phone's wifi or LTE connection always shows up gray as if it doesn't work(although it does). I run into an occasional bug in other apps, but the biggest problem is probably Play Store.

I tried manually flashing an updated version of gapps back to the device, and when that didn't work, I tried re-flashing the older version of CM(and relevant gapps package). That broke everything. So I'm back on the mostly functional nightly build.

I read elsewhere that I should reset to factory settings, that worked for som e people, but not all. I'm VERY hesitant to do this because if it doesn't work, I'll have no way to get my existing apps back, since Google has a draconic policy concerning downloading apks from their store when not on your device. Does anyone have any familiarity with this issue, or any guesses on how to fix it?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Ashrik posted:

I had a problem where, after installing CM, I could no longer and texts or hear/transmit sounds during phone calls. It was a problem with the version of my baseband and radio . Not exactly what you're saying, but maybe worth looking into.

Additionally, I've never had a problem reinstalling apps across multiple phones and Roms, when logged into my Google account.

I wanted to try re-signing into my Google account, but I couldn't figure out how to do that in CM. It appears to be permanent.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Well, I deleted my google account and went to re-add it, the prompt won't even come up. It just goes back to the menu.
I guess I'm just going to wait for the next stable release and then reset if I have to, and pray that fixes the problem.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Ashrik posted:

I don't understand why you did that or why you would fear that anything would do that to you when you didn't want it to. Is your phone now semi-useless to you, unable to access any of google's services?

Anyways, the version of gapps has to properly correspond with the version of CM or whatever rom you're using. Same goes for the baseband/radio- did you look into that? It was very obscure, until I searched for that term (by that, I mean that googling the problem took a while).

I did it because I thought its cached copy of my password might have gotten corrupted, or something. Honestly, the only additional thing my phone can't do is sign in to my youtube account. Authenticator still works, so does Maps.

I tried re-flashing gapps too, although there may have been a further update, I'll try again. I haven't ever heard the term baseband radio in relation to android or cm, so I'll google that. Thanks

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Got a problem I was hoping you guys could help me with. I've got a Droid 4(VZW) that's been on Cyanogenmod for a year or two. I used to get 4g everywhere in my town, but now my phone seems stuck in 3G. My first guess is that there was some firmware update or some such that I didn't get because I'm on CM. I could try going back to factory OS, but I'm really trying to avoid that. Can anyone else give some insight into what could cause this?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

What's the story with rooting the Galaxy S5 on Verizon? Apparently the old method, TowelRoot, no longer works because the creator of that program now works for Google. :/ Am I just boned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

kinkouin posted:

I've never heard of this, that he moved on to Google. Though I dont know about the 4.4.4 update, but previously you could ODIN down to the one that TowelRoot worked on, root it, then ODIN back up to the most recent update (again, dont know if this works with 4.4.4).

Sorry, but what is ODIN? Other than the Norse God. I'm through with Samsung software, this is terrible. I want Cyanogenmod back, and I'm pretty sure I need to root my phone first.