Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Is there a goon-recommended method of rooting the Verizon HTC One? I've done a cursory look over the topic and google and it was seeming more expedient to just ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
HTC M7, Verizon, 4.4.2, Sense 6.0

First time actually trying for real to root a phone, here. Towelroot works to give me root if I use tr3.apk instead of the apk he has on his website. So that's nice.

Root goes away when I restart my phone, though. Is that the accepted thing, or can I use my transitory root privilege to install a persistent root package?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Oh, man. I finally got around to flashing a Google Play Edition ROM to my M7 to get from Android 5.0.2 to 5.1, and let me tell you that things are smooth as butter.

It was really burning my rear end, but there's something very appropriate how HTC ended their journey with the M7 by leaving most but not all of them on a comparatively unstable release which was otherwise immediately succeeded by a huge maintenance update. Assholes.

I'm making a project out of it; if I see that it's essentially a functional not-arbitrarily-slow phone again, I'm going to order a new camera module and body (in the sweet red finish that wasn't available on stock Verizon models) and do myself a little refurbish.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Okay, the OP was last updated five years ago, which makes it due for a refresh, and perhaps a change of scope. I am interested in authoring a new topic and think we should should incorporate other Android sperg detritus like "how can I make sure Google/the government/butthole aliens aren't spying on me?" and... Well, that's actually the only thing I can think of right now, but the idea is that if it would send the nominal Android topic on an eight-page apoplectic fit about how much of a moron you are for caring about a thing you want to do, it might be hygienic to just have such inquiries pointed over here where the only answers should be "here's how to do that," "you cannot do that," or radio silence.

I'm thinking good updates to the OP as it stands would include a graphic depiction of the bootloader/system/root hierarchy and an exhaustive list of reasons to have root in tyool 2016. I don't know, maybe a rootable phone buyer's guide? Looking for options, here.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Which HTC one? The original M7?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Two things I'm interested in:

Is there a simple way to make save-states of ordinary apps in rooted android? Like the kind of poo poo that you would expect out of an emulator or virtual machine: mirror an app's current exact state in memory and then just drop it right back into that snapshot at your leisure. It's easy with virtualization because you have the entire machine in a jar and don't need to dissect shared resources, but my understanding is that hypervisors on Android are already kind of a thing (isn't it how Samsung's Knox works?) so I was thinking someone might have made an app-wrapper to do exactly this.

Other thing: blocking calls with extreme prejudice. I have no idea how voice networking works these days but if there was enough information in the hailing package for a low-level demon to identify the caller's number and then just never respond so that, as far as the Telecom knew, the phone was just off? That would be great. But I would just as soon accept a solution where it catches the connection and immediately hangs up before anything in user-space even sees it. Actually, just give me options.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Linux has containers. The LXC project is like a decade old. Anbox employs the LXC suite to run android apps on other linux platforms. $lxc-copy -s and $lxc-checkpoint take snapshots/checkpoints of containers. At a glance, I wouldn't guess this is technically infeasible. I imagine you would be installing a package in the bootloader environment, but we're no strangers to that.

If you could tell me with authority that nobody has bothered to write the code or that there's reasons it would run like hell, then I can believe you, but it's not like your phone isn't Turing complete.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Probably, but at this point I take it for granted that you can make it work as long as you can unlock the bootloader. That's not a forgone conclusion; historically it's been a matter of breaking in through security holes. But I've rooted a Pixel and a Pixel 2, for example, and though I can't say it went off without a hitch, it is clear that even if Google felt zero obligation to divert from their design intentions to support super users, they also had absolutely no interest in preventing you from loving around if you just demonstrated the competence to send a fastboot command. And when I hit a boot-loop, their complete archive of OEM images and the handy flash scripts they include with them is about as much help as I could ask for.