Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
MIUI is making leaps and bounds weekly it seems, big UI changes more or less every release and definitely moving to a more iPhone alike model with the latest changes to the settings pages for apps but to me it's the most coherent custom UI for Android that I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Okay, CM6-RC1 impressions. I got just a couple issues:

1) FM Radio works but is kind of crap as expected. However, when I plugged my headset in to use as an antenna, an icon appeared that according to this chart means "wired microphone headset is connected." Since I quit FM and reset, the icon still appears with my regular, non-microphone headphones plugged in. This is an OS thing, not an FM Radio app thing. Not sure why it's happening. I tried voice search while wearing headphones and listening to something and it still used the phone's microphone to pick up my voice.

This is just the 'headset' connected icon that all AOSP based ROMS display for me when I connect headphones.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

After I updated my venerable G1 to CM6.1 I started getting that wonderful little H in the data connectivity area. Did CM just enable HSDPA for me or is it a T-Mo-just-got-off-their-rear end coincidence?

It's a 'not originally having an icon to differentiate between 3G and HSDPA' thing.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

flyboi posted:

Yeah I know. MIUI and CM6 are working closer together so that's why it's in MIUI now. The two will be very similar in terms of features after a few more updates.

Except the MIUI version looks about a hundred times nicer and features a lockscreen visualiser too.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Paccione posted:

For people with rooted HTC Desires, have they fixed the horrible issue with viewing pictures? Where the phone uses the thumbnail as the source instead of the original image making zooming horrible horrible horrible?

Viewing pictures in what app?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Paccione posted:

Any browser. Currently using Dolphin but the default one does the same thing.

Okay, I'm still not really following. You mean that if you visit a webpage with say a grid of photo thumbnails, then tap on one to open it full size, you still get the thumbnail sized image?

Do you have any example pages where this might happen? Because it's something I've never seen before and I've owned a Desire since launch, and tried a whole variety of different ROMs as well as running on stock until a simple root option became available.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Paccione posted:

Friend links me a 1680x1050 image and I open it up in Dolphin.

My phone resizes it to 10% of it's original size and shrinks-to-fit a thumbnail on my screen.

I double tap to zoom in, and instead of giving me 20% of the original image and keeping the image crisp and clear, it enlarges the thumbnail and gives me a blocky mess.

I'm not running stock Sense at the minute but I just tried in three different browsers (Dolphin, Miren and stock Android browser) with a desktop wallpaper sized image and don't have this problem.

Are you sure it's not your network operating a proxy that compresses images to save on 3G bandwidth?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Casao posted:

MIUI owns hardcore. Flashed it at work and I'm back to playing with my phone every 5 minutes.

The fact the weekly updates actually add full new features or three and don't introduce many new bugs is incredible, I've been using it for well over a month and haven't missed CM6 much at all.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Casao posted:

MIUI Music app owns. But it doesn't support last.fm scrobbling :saddowns:

The developers post on that MIUI-dev.com forum now, so make a feature request, and I'm sure it'll be added before mid-December.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Casao posted:

MIUI 0.12.3 is out. No English pack yet, but from what I see, should be about another 2 hours for the N1.

Don't see a full change log, but looks like it fixes some stuff, don't see anything new listed.

http://www.miui-dev.com/content.php?28-MIUI-0.12.3-Release-notes!-(Week-15)

quote:

Changes for this weeks ROM:

- Add numbers from phone book to white and blacklist (Thanks to them for adding this as I suggested it)
- Document Management (Pending)
- Flashlight support
- Milestone LED for power
- Fixed can't change notification / ringtones.
- Fixed SMS changing font color

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Don't care until geolocation is fixed. :colbert:

Fixed how? I was using it just this morning.

Final changelog, translated from Chinese

quote:

1. Anti-disturb features black and white lists (entrance 3: telephone program menu, SMS program menu, settings> Personal> Anti-disturb)

2. Backup New: SMS / telephone record / backup to the SD card contacts

SMS
Add the current theme custom settings, supports change the text color, text messages can be set to modify the current theme.
Add new text messages prompted the recent contacts for quick selection.
Added support for message acknowledgment tone or vibration feedback, you can modify the settings in the text.
Add to set the contents of hidden messages in the status bar to display only the names to the information.
Add filter set optimized to increase landline number to select multiple recipients provide fast pace.
Fix the problem head dislocation
LED lights when the repair to the color settings SMS
Deleted text messages can not fix, there's the phenomenon of empty theme

Desktop
New flashlight function key shortcuts in the notification bar switch 14 open.
New Growth Press "Back button" to close the current and background programs.
New Growth Press "Home button" add a key lock screen functionality.
Fix the problem for a number of topics.
Repair lead to another case icon is missing.
Issues related to the repair folder.
After repairing power to set off the problem does not return to normal mode.
Repair under certain circumstances the lock screen when playing music cause excessive cpu resources
Lock repair specific cases display is abnormal
Repair specific cases, no signal due to abnormal boot
Result of repair calls for theme module FC
Fix a particular case, notification bar shows two "China Mobile" issue
Repair theme package file name contains special characters cause problems can not be applied
Repair particular case, the desktop icon disappeared
Repair after the commencement of the status bar notification bar background inconsistencies
Repair rule changes the low battery power settings, restart the rehabilitation of post-
Down-delay optimization of lock screen 30 seconds into force
Down the status bar shortcut buttons optimized sorting algorithm
Optimization from the drop down bar to open the Bluetooth status bar, automatic open "can be found" for 1 minute

Set
Repair can not change the tone in the setting of the problem.

Contact
Add Click the option to blacklist strangers Avatar
Crash repair Fackbook Contact
Anti-disturb:
Add black and white list settings support intercept phone or SMS, in a telephone set / SMS settings or menu settings in the open.

MIUI backup
Added support for backup contacts, call records, text messages to the SD card.
Optimize backup interface.

MIUI network disk
Added support to pause the download page.
Optimization of network disk interface.

MIUI Music
Repair Click song is playing, the bottom strip "play / pause" shows the wrong question
Add to "Playlist" and "like" button to add the two-state operation
Fix the playlist, move up and down during songs highlight the issue dark green
Add music page menu add "Exit" button, which allows exit app

Desire
Optimize the factory's machinery to support the latest upgrade to 2.6.35.7 join NSL_UTF8.ko

Milestone
Repair to the electrical signal to send text messages garbled question. (F, thanks tosupport! )
Abnormal standby power under repair problems. You can not plug the USB to the normal standby.
Answer the phone interface fix alignment problems.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Casao posted:

I was saying Beautiful Widgets doesn't. It's a bug specific to Beautiful Widgets, it works fine in Google Maps, Google Home Page, and Four Square.

I've not had any issues with Google's home page location stuff when just using wifi or cell towers, other than the usual inaccuracies we get in the UK due to the distance between towers.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

travisray2004 posted:

What happened to new builds of MIUI coming out every friday? I don't see anything for the Incredible.

There's been a new one, but remember that the MIUI team don't develop for that device themselves. Blame your device's developer community for any delays.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

yamdankee posted:

How do you get passed the Google Account login without signing in and without being rooted? The guy that gives me phones to root and install Wireless Tether forgot to give me a SIM card.

All I need to do is get passed the login screen, root, and install WT. What can I do?

Tap the corners of the screen in order, starting top left, when you see the big green Android on first boot.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Flyndre posted:

I don't know really, that it's easy to set up and has high res pictures. I tried it on my friends xperia which I assumed was AOSP? I honestly don't know, I've just been really happy with how sense has been holding up. Maybe it's time I just install MIUI and try it myself.

You have to manually join contacts that don't have matching names as it has no automatic fuzzy searching, and the contact photos will become lovely at large sizes once they sync with Google.

That's just AOSP, but on the plus side it doesn't insert retarded HTC specific data in your contacts' notes fields, and actually syncs photos to GMail.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
New UI didn't make it into today's MIUI update but a new shiny gallery beta did:

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

deong posted:

do you know offhand if we can get the gallery only from MIUI? I don't really want the whole thing, but that gallery looks nice.

If it's anything like the music, SMS and phone apps, no. They have custom frameworks that the new apps are built upon, similar to Sense etc.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

quadratic posted:

I guess you can build it from source, but they're holding off on binaries until they can get video recording working.

GingerVillain for Desire is basically CM7 from source.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Today's MIUI has a custom camera application to replace the AOSP one, finally. Just waiting on translations now before I try it out.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

MIUI broke the hell out of my SMS apps, be it default MIUI or Handcent. Most messages I tried to send were unable to be delivered. It was a big enough problem I had to switch back to Fresh tonight.

I spotted that the phonebook doesn't automatically add a + to the start of phone numbers if it isn't there already, unlike stock. In all cases I saw, it was a problem with my contacts rather than the app.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Chillmatic posted:

Is it remotely possible to root a droid 2 global? All the "Easier one click root" poo poo fails at various stages each time I run it, and I've tried both mac and win7. It appears that stuff was last updated in September and I'm wondering if it just doesn't work anymore due to maybe a recent android update or something?

Any help would REALLY be appreciated.

It doesn't work for the same reasons that the original Droid 'global version' - the Milestone - didn't work with the Droid's root methods.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah once MIUI is up to 2.3.3 I am gonna give it a serious go with features like that.

That'll be next week, apparently.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Casao posted:

Yeah, there's absolutely no reason now to - it's updated weekly. 1.3.11 is probably the final Froyo build, as the NS is already GB and N1/Desire are both moving to GB on Friday.

MIUI owns owns owns.

So far the GB version removes the custom MIUI lockscreen in favour of the AOSP one, and puts the iPhone-alike bottom menus such as seen in Settings.apk up at the top of the screen. I hope these are temporary issues due to not modifying their framework mods to work with the updated GB versions yet.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

..btt posted:

It's not a bug. It's a new feature. Kinda stupid that it defaults to "off" though. From the G2 MIUI changelog:

It's also defaulted to 'on' as of a minor update to the English language pack from MIUI-Dev, this afternoon.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
MIUI supports lockscreen theming now so there are plenty of Sense 3.0 knockoffs if that's your thing.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Skeezy posted:

I'd love to stick with MIUI on a permanent level but the fact that all the fonts are greyed out on certain things bugs me. A lot of it is tough to see.

Using the dark theme? You can set 'compatibility mode' to work around that, the app manager section of Settings

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

It's not open source. This along with the use of code from cyanogen without giving credit are my two biggest criticisms of it.

They did give credit to Cyanogen, ages back, when the collaboration was first in place. How do you think Cyanogen got FM Radio working in their ROMs? It was ported from MIUI in exchange for other code sharing.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Dancing Peasant posted:

As far as features go, I'm definitely a fan of the battery life on Liberty, as well as the fact that I can use the Blur camera over the lovely AOSP version. The latter option doesn't seem to work too well on CM7 or MIUI, which is a near-dealbreaker for me.

Even the Froyo version of MIUI has a custom camera app rather than the AOSP one.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

air- posted:

I keep having to reapply my widgets on every CM7 nightly I install since it shows "Problem displaying widget". It's a minor annoyance, but is this happening to anyone else?

Using LPP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

900ftjesus posted:

Comedy option:
[ROM]Bl00dyB3@$T-3d MOD v5.4[THE BLOODY FINAL]&SS3D REMIX.v2 now available[UPDATE]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1193494

Nice tagline. At least he's honest.