Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

PapFinn posted:

I've been trying to read up on this so I'm sure, but I always seem to get conflicting information. I'm looking to buy a Hero off of Craigslist to use on Sprint.

Should I be able to somewhat painlessly run Universal Androot and then pick a ROM through ROM Manager?

I really just want to negate as best I can the apparent sluggishness of the phone and have 2.2 running on it.

Bit off topic from the root part, but Sprint is selling refurb Heros for $80 on their website, and I believe that is no contract.

And I ran Cyanogen on my girlfriend's Hero for a bit, very easy to do (I used Androot and then ROM Manager), only quirk I ran into was to flash Cyanogen I had to put the zip on the SDCard then select it via ROM Manager. It definitely makes the phone run faster, that is for sure.

Also, I am running Fresh on my Evo and its pretty solid overall, so I would imagine that would be another good bet on the Hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Posted this a while back in the Evo thread with no luck, and just posted in XDA as well.

On my HTC Evo with the latest Fresh (although the problem was there on the first version too), I consistently keep getting the following message:

"Sorry!

The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectadly. Please try again"

Hit force close, it goes away and i keep doing what i am doing. How do i fix this?

I did already wipe.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Munkaboo posted:

poo poo. I thought Titanium backup backed up all my homescreens too :( Oh well

Do you use Launcher Pro? Works almost perfectly on the backup.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So Fresh is good but slowly driving me nuts with the Evo, so I am debating trying something else to see how it works (I can always flash back if i don't like it). I would use Cyanogen but I need 4G (both because of speeds and I demo the phone), so I need a Sense based ROM. Any suggestions?

Also, for backing up apps when switching between ROMs my Titanium backup should be fine?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 10, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

Fresh is basically Stock with a lot of the Sprint stuff removed. What is driving you crazy about it?

I can't get rid of this force close issue (I've posted this 3 times now, so I am not trying to beat a dead horse, sorry). It just pops up and says something to the extent of "android.core.process cannot be complete" and i have to hit force close. It never CLOSES anything (although it will occasionally kick me out of GVoice) so my phone functions, but dear god it is annoying. Plus my phone honestly seems to lag switching between home screens, apps and DEF when playing a graphics intense game like MiniSquadron, Radiant, etc.

I am running the latest Fresh with Launcher Pro as my main launcher. I have cleaned the Dalvik and cache through both ROM Manager and Titanium Backup, I have wiped, I have reflashed Fresh. Can't figure out how to A. get rid of the force close and B. it just seems that my phone is moving slower than it should.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I don't know poo poo about reading Android logs, but maybe logcat would help track down what's going on?

I ended up downloading and running the Warm ROM, so far so good.

Edit: damnit, got the force close pop-up again. At least the Rom is faster so far.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 10, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

If you're getting these problems across multiple ROMs, it really sounds like something is hosed up with your phone itself. Maybe the memory? I don't know. Also I've heard people report that Clockwork Recovery doesn't clear cache correctly, so you might try doing it with RA Recovery if you haven't already. You can flash that recovery via ROM Manager, under "Alternate Recoveries" at the bottom.

Gonna try that next, appreciate it.

For the record though, I flashed to Warm and drat is it faster than Fresh. Looks cooler (to me at least) as well. I would highly recommend it so far, and the force close problems i am having are down to only twice a day.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

Things like this are the reason I will probably always buy whatever Cyanogen does. I can't imagine dealing with bugs like that daily.

The day Cyanogen keeps 4G I will use Cyanogen. Unfortunate but how it is.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I haven't followed CM for a while. Have there been any major changes recently? Last I heard he was working on getting 4G to be usable on the Evo, but there was still a lot of work to do.

I just converted last week to Cyanogen on the Evo, and even being in a 4G area its pretty much worth losing 4G for something that is not sense based. There isn't much I miss (mostly because I realize sense is that annoying), although for video streaming the speeds were nice.

Updating today to 6.1.1. If i see anything new i'll let you know.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Phandroid is reporting that xda has gotten WIMAX to work on AOSP ROMs.

Edit: Goddamn additional pages!

gently caress yes.

Also, the Evo is getting an official update that will be including Swype. Anyone know if Cyanogen will be able to start including Swype as a result?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheReverend posted:

Extremely doubtful.

Just do this.
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/10225-how-to-keep-swype/

Cool. I'm already on Cyanogen, can i do that with a stock evo and then swap it to mine?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm having to replace my Evo because the drat charging port went out. If i just run a Titanium Backup and keep the SD Card, I should be able to restore all my settings/apps once I root and install Cyanogen on my new Evo?

Also, anyone know whether i should not update the Evo before rooting it (to get Swype)?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 21, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ProjektorBoy posted:

If CM6 isn't feeling right, Smoked Glass & apparently Bugless Beast 0.6.1 are apparently asskickers in their own right. I went from CM 6.1.2 to Smoked Glass v11 and I've got no reason to move back.

I just want to chime in and say if given the option I would install something like Bugless Beast just because of how awesome the name is.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I got my replacement Evo, and rooting is apparently much more involved (and requires windows?) than before. poo poo. Any tips/advice before I attempt this (I'm doing this on a night I haven't touched alcohol)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JerseyMonkey posted:

Don't think anyone tried helping you on this. For almost every Sense phone, you can usually root with ease using Unrevoked: http://unrevoked.com/ (Though i've heard the latest EVO's might require advanced steps to root, but give it a try.)

Yeah, I tried unrevoked (3, not forever) twice with no success. Unfortunate, but I appreciate it!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JerseyMonkey posted:

This thread looks to be the choice method right now: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=838448
(I rooted my EVO forever ago, so I cannot confirm) Includes two methods of rooting, hope that gets you going. :)

Also, congrats on getting the gently caress away from your Moment. ;) [So happy when I upgraded from my poopy Moment to the sexbomb EVO]

Haha I actually bought a Palm Pre back in July to get away from the Moment, then got an Evo 2 months back. I had it running Cyanogen, but the charger port tanked so they had to order me another one. So now I have to learn how to root the hard way. Very irritating.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JerseyMonkey posted:

Hm...I think I read about your charger port issue as I have a similar problem. Device will charge from certain devices, whereas others it will consistently face problems being recognized. I'm worried I may have to follow you in getting a new phone.

Desktop & USB hub car adapter both recognize then will be ignored after a duration. Yet, a few other machines I've tested it on have zero issues. A coworker of mine was thinking it might be an issue with voltage, as the USB car hub might not be providing an adequate amount? [Though, unsure why my PC would start doing that as well.]

The Sprint tech guys said they see it a decent amount, apparently some chargers stop working but thicker ones (the Palm Pre charger is their best one) still work. From my time in a non-Sprint tech center I would honestly bet its just the charger port getting knocked around and its just a bit weaker on the Evo I guess. Thankfully the pins were still attached (or else I would have been hosed) but since its micro its much harder to repair than mini, they just ordered a new phone. drat.

Also, they didn't give two shits that the phone was blatantly running Cyanogen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quadratic posted:

Why would they? Your problem is unrelated to the software.

Warranty/Insurance is one industry that just looks for reasons to deny claims.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I haven't followed the thread recently, but in case no one posted it happy days for new Evo owners are here, unrevoked works again.

http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/01/unrevoked-33-roots-htc-evo-with-latest-software-update-3706511-and-hboot-331-fixes-bugs.html

Edit: Running the latest Stable Cyanogen again, and when I try and download an app it says "sorry you don't have enough memory." Suggestions?

Edit 2: i think i fixed it my clearing cache

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 14, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

Cyanogen 6.1.2 is such old news.

EVO + Cyanogen + WiMAX is where it's at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=902051

Yes, there was already an Alpha, this is Alpha 2 and most of the annoying bugs, like having to turn the screen off to trigger the 4G connect or rebooting to reconnect to 4G, have been resolved.

Only hanging issues:
After turning off Wifi you have to manually toggle 3G back on
Google Goggles doesn't work because their custom kernel doesn't have IPv6 support (weird, but Google's help page confirms that a custom kernel without this will have this issue.)
If you disable 4G, you have to wait 1 minute before you can re-enable it, which is hardly an issue.

Awesome. I didn't touch it yet because it said alpha, and i am exchanging my Evo in a day or two because the headphone jack is hosed (refurb warranty replacement). When I get my new Evo in, am I able to use unrevoked and keep the 4G code? And I'm guessing once rooted I'll need to flash with Amon_RA.

Edit: and reading through this is looks loving awesome. Thanks for the suggestion.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 14, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tigren posted:

It is awesome. It's stable enough to run as a daily ROM and the 4G works perfectly for me. I'm getting anywhere between 5000 and 9000 kbps down and pretty steadily 1000 up. Same or better than when on Sense.

Nice. I just flashed it, pretty sure 4G is working. Just really really weird getting internet speeds with no icon up top!

Edit: I take it beyond the icon the only other "bug" just seems to be it takes a while to turn WiMax off and on? And the SwitchPro 4G widget doesn't seem to work. Oh well.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 14, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dayne posted:

Launcher Pro, a third party launcher program gives you that option. But you'll lose access to all the Sense stuff that I'm assuming is on the Shift.

You just lose the sense launcher, the sense customized apps (like contacts and calendar) are still unfortunately there. LP is a pretty good solution for his wife though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tehfox0r posted:

It's out for the EVO! Flashing this bitch now

I'm probably going to flash it later today for mine, out of curiosity how is it working? Keeping 4G is nice but not necessary.

Edit: on another note, I am running the Alpha CM ROM with 4G, and while it gets faster than 3G speeds, its not even close to what I usually get. I'm hitting just over 1MB right now when I usually get 3-6.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 17, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

Going to update to today's nightly now. Not going to bother with a full wipe, just a cache/dalvik wipe and that's all.

http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110115-signed.zip

They changed the GApps to just have the minimum for the Market. Everything else is on the market now anyways so it's much smaller.

I'm running it on my Evo, and everything seems alright. My main problem is that google sync won't bring down my contacts. Anyone else having this problem? Kinda important...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tehfox0r posted:

Also, under Accounts and Sync > Google, hit Menu then select Sync Now or whatever with Contacts checked and give it a minute.

Got it fixed, thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I swapped out my Evo for one with a working headphone jack, which means on this one i actually care about my WiMax keys. I want to flash to the latest CM7 nightly. Last time I just downloaded and installed through ROM Manager. Should I do that this time, or will i lose the 4G keys?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
CM7 is working mostly fine for my Evo (worth it just for the screen lock graphic), but GPS and Bluetooth seem really buggy (not too surprised or anything). I think I'm on nightly #6, anyone have any better success on a more recent nightly?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So i don't think its draining battery, but the GPS icon on my Evo (CM7 nightly #12 i think) just will not go away. GPS is off and it still is saying its running. Anyone else having this problem?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

Well, that's cute. Who wants to volunteer for the next thread?

And I agree that it'd be silly to do all of that in the OP...isn't that what the (I'm sure horribly outdated) wiki is supposed to be for?

I am not as good on all the details as some here, but i don't mind and can probably do a decent job at keeping the basics up to date.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Running CM7 on my Evo and it reboots several times a day on its own right now. I keep updating the nightlies hoping that'll fix it, but so far no dice. Anyone else having this problem?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I got really lucky (in a way) and basically i have a Samsung Vibrant to use an iPod Touch (mine is about to die). I have it rooted, just curious if anyone has any ROMs they would recommend?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

Bionix-V is what I used the couple of days I had a Vibrant. It's based on 2.2 but themed to look like Gingerbread and runs much better than stock.

Picked up the zip file, but it keeps failing to install it. Using ROM Manager, weird thing to me is that the recovery is 2.2.1.2, and i know my Evo has it on 3.something. Is it because its Samsung?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

Probably, seems like all the Galaxy S phones are lagging behind on things like that compared to everyone else.

Any solutions/fixes on getting this thing to flash? I just want stock android on it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ZShakespeare posted:

As far as I'm aware, and granted my information is a couple of months out of date now, there is no way to get stock android on a Galaxy S. All the available ROMs are based on TouchWiz because of the proprietary stuff Samsung cooks in that is required to run on the hardware. Last I heard Cyanogenmod was stalling because of some of these hardware problems, but maybe they found a way around it.

As for clockworkmod, get the correct update.zip, probably from koush's website, pop it onto your sdcard, and flash it from recovery. CWM works as a sort of secondary recovery on the SGS, and does not replace the default one.

All I will say is I am so glad my main phone is HTC.

Ok, so I have a major bug on this thing where it turns on and then within 3 minutes, no matter what I am doing, goes to a black screen. I wiped, no dice. Trying other stuff now, but the only major thing i did was one click root the phone and flash an alternate recovery on (still stock 2.1 ROM). What the gently caress is the phone doing? It was working perfectly last night.

2nd Edit: Definitely the SD Card. Because I have music on it or does the Vibrant get screwed up searching for music files between the 16GB on the phone and the 32GB on the card? Note right now i have nothing on the phone, just 10GB on the card.

Edit: Could it be the SD Card? I just put a 32GB SD Card in the sucker last night and put about 10GBs of music on it. I took out the SD Card and running fine so far. Weird...

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 13, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ashex posted:

Was it doing that before you rooted it? Try inserting the card after the phone has booted (the sdcard slot is accessible with the battery in).

The card WAS fine on the phone last night, I wake up this morning and it keeps loving up. Doesn't work on my Hero either. I'm going to reformat it, any tips here on a quick way to do that?

Edit: Got the SD Card formatted, apparently you need to format a 32GB SD Card before it'll work with android. The more you know...

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 14, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Haha that's brilliant. Do I need to get the version posted in that thread, or can I just download the nightlies?

Last I checked the Alpha for WiMax is still on CM6, and the CM 7 nightlies do not have WiMax. I'm on CM7 nightly #30something and don't have it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
CM7 on the Evo still does not have working GPS. At least they fixed the random reboot issue I was having.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Does anyone else with CM7 RC1 on the EVO get really lovely WiFi reception? I am in the same room about 10 feet away from my wireless router LINE OF SIGHT I might add and I am getting less than half signal. My Wife's EVO running the stock rom gets full signal.

This issue is effecting me on every access point I have connected to since I have been on this rom.

WiFi, Bluetooth and phone reception work fine, for me the only problem is GPS, which never worked well on the nightlies either so I am not that surprised.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Akileese posted:

Is CM7 stable enough to run right now? I'm getting an EVO last week and I really hate sense.

I'm running CM7 nightlies on my evo and most everything is fine, the only big exception is GPS, which is still awful for anything beyond general pinpointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

I had the same problem.

Flashing back to a sense rom, dialing ##gpsclrx# and entering my MSL code fixed it. Pain in the rear end, I know, but it did work.

Gonna do that today. Thanks dude!