Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

I had the same problem.

Flashing back to a sense rom, dialing ##gpsclrx# and entering my MSL code fixed it. Pain in the rear end, I know, but it did work.

Note to self: do not flash and do a full wipe just before jumping in a car, as I was then unable to sign into Google due to the newer 2 step signin. Ooops.

Also, Titanium Backup apparently does not backup ringtones tied to specific contacts. That is getting very irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So my girlfriend has an HTC Evo Shift, and I am looking to possibly root it so she can WiFi tether on the occasion she needs it. No custom ROMs needed, she is a more basic user who doesn't like fiddling with stuff. Any easy one click methods like Unrevoked for the Evo?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Schizo posted:

The Shift root guide on the CM wiki looks scary but it worked perfectly for me. Just do everything up to the "Flashing CyanogenMod" section and you're good.

Thanks, I'll look into it but worst case i can just get her PDA Net too.

I just got another Evo replacement (charger port again), can anyone give me a quick reminder of how to fix my GPS so that it works in CM? I know I have to be on a Sense ROM to do it, i just forget the procedure.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Running an Evo on CM7 7.0.0RC4. Any reason to go back to nightlies, or is this still solid?

And I seem to only be able to stay logged into facebook or twitter, one always signs out when i sign into the other. Just irritating. Anyone else have this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
ok, curiosity is getting to me and I want to try out Sense 3.0 on my Evo. What's the best ROM to do that with?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

This seems to be the most popular right now. I haven't tried it yet but apparently it leaves you with 100mb or less of space for apps since the new version of Sense is huge but if you decide to keep it for a while you can partition your SD card with the method from this thread for more space. (I think that ends up moving your data partition to the SD card, none of the "devs" on XDA provide enough information on what their instructions actually do.)

Before I flash this it says that flashing the radio zip included in the ROM (could lose RSA keys). Not completely following that. I was just going to download the main zip, install with ROM Manager. Anything i am doing wrong here?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

I didn't think it included a radio, I hate XDA... I would backup the Wimax partition first just to be safe. ClockworkMod and Amon-Ra both have that ability now. That way, if something does happen to your keys, it's an easy fix. (Flash proper radio, restore Wimax partition, done.)

There's also a slightly newer version of the ROM on the guy's site but there's no changelog yet, just posts from people claiming it's "faster and smoother".

Ok, so basically just do a backup and check the WiMax button like back in the day. I can do that.

Likely doing this tonight or tomorrow, although it depends on if I actually get the free time I anticipate having.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ok, so flashing to the Virus ROM with my Evo didn't go well. I suggest reading everything carefully instead of being retarded like me.

I followed the procedures right the first time, EXCEPT I messed up step 10. I flashed right to the ROM instead of "First flash the PRI and hit reboot let it flash the 1.77 Pri this will make sure your phone sleeps."

The result was my phone would never get past the Evo 4G white screen. I eventually flashed back to CM7 (at least I finally updated!).

I know what the 1.77 is, but what am I missing that is the PRI? I am assuming my SD Card is still partitioned, so I should be able to just flash in the right order to get this working? Can anyone clarify the process of which 3 files to flash, and in what order?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

Yeah, you should be able to just flash now. From my understanding, you need to flash the 1.77 PRI first, then reboot, then flash the ROM. If you're using B1.1.2, that should be it. On earlier releases there was a GFX_FIX.zip that the ROM's install script would extract to your SD card and then you would need to flash that, but from what I read, it's not required on the latest one.

Do I just reboot right into recovery after PRI_1.77? Because it won't get past the lockscreen ont hat, pretty sure.

Edit: So far, def just hit reboot and it goes back to recovery.

Edit 2: And boom! It reboots a few times upon first rebooting, but give it time, its loading up now. Very cool load screen.

Edit 3: Definitely give it a lot of time to load the first time (I may just be impatient), but this is working fine so far.

Edit 4: Very very pretty so far. But apps won't download from the marketplace :( thankfully they will download from the amazon app store

To warn everyone, this is definitely more of an Alpha than Beta ROM feel. Everything is slow, it freezes, sometimes it can't get to the home screen. I think apps are downloading now that I did a reboot. Its really cool, and I'll probably use it for a week or two, but it is not extremely stable.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 23, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

That's kinda what I expected... I think I'll stick with my CM7.1 nightlies for now :)

Still using it, it has gotten better throughout the day overall. The main problem is it randomly freezes and won't get to the home screen for a long rear end time. Overall, im ok with trying it out for a bit.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Big saddness with the virus ROM for the EVO (sense 3.0): wordfeud and netflix don't work. Any suggestions on how to tweak this?

Oh. And gps, but we have our priorities first!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Whelp, I caved and switched from Sense 3.0 back to Cyanogen on my Evo. Beyond the whole "sometimes refusing to work" problem, wordfeud didn't work, and I couldn't have that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

It's a pain in the rear end, but you should be able to pretty much fix your GPS issues right up by flashing a Sense ROM and going the GPS clearing thing then restoring your CM7 ROM.

I'm using CM7 with GPS and no problems, this worked for me.

I remember liking Myn's Warm ROM the most on the Sense side.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So last week I partitioned my 32GB SD Card to try out the Virus Sense 3.0 ROM. After trying it out for a few days, I switched back to Cyanogen. All well and good, but yesterday half my apps suddenly disappeared, music/ringtones are gone and my SD Card basically does not seem to be working. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I'll be doing a wipe/fix on the SD Card tonight on my computer, hopefully that will fix it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

So last week I partitioned my 32GB SD Card to try out the Virus Sense 3.0 ROM. After trying it out for a few days, I switched back to Cyanogen. All well and good, but yesterday half my apps suddenly disappeared, music/ringtones are gone and my SD Card basically does not seem to be working. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I'll be doing a wipe/fix on the SD Card tonight on my computer, hopefully that will fix it.

Now all my apps and everything are back, seems to be working fine. It is a mystery...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Open to trying different ROMs on my Evo right now, and I keep hearing good things on the Savaged ROM. Any thoughts? Do i need to install any special kernels for it (I have yet to get into kernels).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Savage Zen never got past the boot screen, so i am restoring to CM7. Irritating.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My Evo GPS on Savage Zen has been sucking, so I figure it is time for a GPS refresh. So i follow the standard following:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/fzqnc/evo_cyanogenmod_7_gps_fixprls_and_htc_sense/

I flashed to Fresh, And it just freezes on the dialpad (I have my MSL, it just never asks for it). Anyone know if there is a newer way to fix the GPS for the Evo to run stock Gingerbread ROMs like CM7 and Savage Zen with working GPS?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just got an EVO 3D and i am trying to root it. Ran through the revolutionary io process and it says s off is achieved. But clockwork says root not found. Am I missing a step?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

You need to grab a recovery PG86IMG.zip file and flash it from the bootloader. Just put it on the sdcard, pull battery, power on while holding vol down. It will find the file and ask if you want to flash a recovery, press vol up or whatever to flash it. Once that's done, you can flash a superuser.zip or a rooted ROM from recovery.

You can follow this starting after the S-off part:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192525

I'm using TWRP instead of Clockwork. No particular reason, just not a fan of Clockwork.

TWRP recovery available here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192077

This worked great, I didn't realize it didn't install Superuser and such. Thanks so much!

Now that I have a very nicely running Evo 3D rooted, any ROMS that are recommended? My Evo I approached where I basically just used Cyanogen, then Savage Zen and stuck with Stock Android ROMs. This time around I'm going to give Sense 3.0 a swing, so I am quite ok with it being very close to standard Sense.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

Got a link for this? Sounds interesting.

Seconded.

And a link to the latest update is appreciated, the drat phone is already bugging me about it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

The stock ROM is fast and has very few issues, so the only thing left for the ROM "developers" is to theme it and remove the stock apps as well as pretending to remove Sense. CM7 and MIUI are really the only things that offer anything more than just crappy themes and they're not done yet.

My big frustration so far is email widgets:

If I run stock launcher I can use the Email widget, which is great for my work email. But there is no GMail widget.

Last time I ran LP, it has a Gmail widget, but no email widget.

Anyone know of a way around this? All I want is one of both.

And my only complaint performance wise is Sense widgets: I like them, but drat do they take a long time to load (especially the Bookmarks and Email widgets). I like the layout a lot, but am close to going back to LP.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Any thoughts on where to go to root a sprint nexus s? I can't think of much I need to do, but i keep seeing voodoo being a must for sound, so i may give that a go. I just usually have HTC devices, so gotta figure out where to start on this one!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just got the sprint galaxy nexus and I am mainly looking for root for tethering, titanium backup, etc.Anyone know if the phone has been rooted yet?

Edit: does this look correct:

http://androidforums.com/sprint-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/547218-how-root-sprint-galaxy-nexus-dummies-windows-mac-linux.html

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 16, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have a rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus on a stock ROM, and at this point either just need a wifi tether app, or a stock based ROM that can natively tether. Suggestions on the best options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I'm trying to get root on my galaxy S3 for sprint. It has 4.1 on it.

I downloaded the as 3 unified toolkit, ran through it, but its prompting me to select the correct files in the toolkit installation folder.

I feel retarded, but where the hell is it putting this folder on my windows 7 computer? I can't find the drat file anywhere. What obvious step am I missing?

Edit: Odin was apparently searching the desktop and not the entire C drive. Move along, nothing to see here...

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 27, 2013