Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

quote:

Motorola Droid/MILESTONE (WIP)

Droid hacking comes in 2 delicious flavors:

Bugless Beast is one of the earlier roms, and it is basically the premiere Droid ROM. 2.1 with live wallpaper support and all the whizbangs you want. Run by a guy named Pete, it's integrated with a number of OC/UV kernels for use with SetCPU going up to 1.25Ghz I believe, though really 1.0ghz is probably better and safer for a first time user. Is often paired with the Smoked Glass theme which a lot of people seem to like. Is updated pretty regularly, and is very fast. an aside, at least one goon has fried their droid by overclocking it, please, consider if you actually need to overclock before doing so.

Cyanogen 6 has an official release version available on the Droid.

Just a heads up on this part. The Milestone's dev community is completely and 100% different than the Droid. It's basially 2 different phones. The Milestone has all those wonderful locks that the other Motorola phones have. While the Droid is, basically an open den of sex and villainy.

It's kinda weird now that the Droid is the old hotness, and it seems the ROM community has really slowed down after the major developers released their official FroYo ROM's. But, rather than re-write your section, you can just put a link here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/custom-roms/ - Far more than just 2. Bugless Beast .5 kinda sucks IMO, and cvpcs is where it's at, with their Sapphire 1.1.1 ROM.

I actually miss seeing ROM Manager update every other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Has there been any discussion about this: P3Droid's news about upcoming policy changes with US Carriers regarding rooting.

So the big US Carriers are apparently getting pissed about rooted phones, and mainly the ability to tether. I have a Xoom, and an OG Droid, both have Verizon plans. I pay 30/mo for unlimited on the droid, and 20/mo for 1gb on the Xoom. My Droid has already had to be its tether when I went over my 1gb in my first month. I know there's the argument that it's their business, and they're trying to protect themselves. But this seems quite ridiculous. Is Verizon not raking in money by the second from billions of text message fees, data plans noone comes close to using their max on, etc? Do they really need to piss off an entire segment of their users to make a few extra bucks? Is it not ridiculous that I have 3 devices on my Verizon plan, and 3 different data plans? Plus data at home with my ISP?

I dunno, they're gonna have to pry my rooted/gingerbreaded Droid from my dead fingers before I return it to stock, if everything P3Droid is saying in that post is true.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

I absolutely cannot wait to upgrade to a new phone and leave my OG Droid behind in its sluggish laggy hell of its own. But since I've been using my Xoom for all my app needs, running the latest GPA Build of Peter Alfonso's Gingerbread ROM (the guy who made bugless beast), I get this kind of performance out of it, and felt the need to share...

I still can't believe a phone thats 4 months shy of being 2 years old is still getting battery life like this. Of course my homescreen is just simi clock, and a nice pleasant picture to look at. My droid just basically does music in my car, the news & weather app here and there, and texting. This thing really was a brickhouse of stability and reliability. I will no doubt miss it the day its gone. My new every 2 is ready to go in August, but I'm holding out for a Verizon Motorola phone with an NFC chip. I hope that happens before Christmas.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Everytime I flash a new ROM on my Galaxy Nexus, after it does it's installing, and right before it gives a success message, the line "Random Offset 0x0x" appears. The last 4 characters there are always different, but definitely a hex string. Nothing out of the ordinary happens to my phone, everything is great in fact.

I love the poo poo out of this phone. I love that every day there's new ROM updates and things happening. It's like the glory days of the OG Droid again.

Also, Codename Android 1.1.1 and Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel is great, definitely been my fastest combo and great battery life.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

vote_no posted:

I'm paranoid enough about permissions that I'm happy to wait until CM9 implements it, and even if they never do I don't want to give that many permissions to a closed-source program just to make the LED blink properly.

Why wait for CM9? There are lot's of great ROM's out there, why does every instantly flock to CM?

Liquid Smooth 1.0 is a much better choice, I think. It has full control over the blinky light on your phone.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Well, I decided to write up a small guide for flashing the LTE Galaxy Nexus (it's the same for any phone basically, but thats what I have.) The only reason to install ROM Manager, is so it flashes Clockwork Recovery. After that, never go back into that app, as I think it's crap for installing new ROM's. On top of that, the ROM's listed in there, are never up to date.

Instead you should do it the manual way, which is through clockwork recovery. If you just rooted you're GNex, then you should power it down, and turn it back on by holding the power button, plus the UP and DOWN arrows. Which will bring you to the bootloader. Select recovery, hit the power button and you should be welcomed to a blue text screen, which is clockwork recovery.

----
Before any of that though, you gotta find a ROM: Go HERE and find a ROM that sounds good to you. Liquid, Codename Android, Gummynex, etc are all major ROMs, that have tons of features. Read their flashing instructions, and check to see if you need to download Google Apps. Every ROM basically installs exactly the same way, but you should still look it over if they have any special instructions.

Now go back and find a good kernal if you want. Using CPU Spy, my phone is NEVER running at the max speed, so I don't care about OC'ing at all, kernals can offer better battery life, among other things. Franco and leankernal are the only ones I've used, both have been great, couldn't tell if either was better than the other.

So now you have downloaded the ROM zip, possibly Google Apps, and a kernal zip file. You can do all this right from your phones browser, (which rootzwiki looks great in), and they will automatically go to your download folder. Verify their existence if you want, but as long as it says complete, you're all set.
----

Now back to Clockwork Recovery: Select the Wipe to Factory settings. Then wipe the Cache. Then go to advanced, and wipe the dalvik cache. It probably does nothing at all, but I still superstitiously wipe 3 times. Back to the main menu, choose select zip from sdcard, go to your download folder and install ROM --> Google Apps --> Kernal. Reboot and go through the initial setup process.

edit - Also some TIPS for stuff along the way.
-If you're going to install a new kernal, you should always wipe the dalvik cache, you should not need to wipe the phone. Whatever kernal goes in last, just overwrites the last settings. It also seems that SetCPU and the like are kinda useless now, as these newer kernals do everything they need to by default.
-Now is the time to go buy Titanium Backup as well. I backup any app that I have to login in to, and my custom keyboard settings for Swiftkey X. In 5 minutes my new ROM is functioning the same way the old one was with all the added benefit of whatever new hotness the ROM is providing.
-The difference between AOKP and AOSP ROM's: The k is for kang, or kanged. Which is copy and pasted (and tweaked?) code. So, the AOKP project ROM's are like giant amalgamations of every trick, setting and feature the developer of can hobble together in one stable package. AOSP ROM's are supposedly built from the ground up using Google's latest source code. In my limited understanding of these things, I tend to only use AOSP ROM's, like Liquid or Codename Android. If anyone has deeper insight into this, I'd love to hear it.

Binge fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 4, 2012

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

I think as of right now, there isn't much difference between any of the JB rom's, since they're all from the same nandroid build of JB that was ripped from a GSM phone at Google I/O. Until the AOSP gets released, they're all gonna have the same stuff. Besides stuffing whichever beta/nightly build of whichever kernal they like the best.

I hope what I'm saying is correct. It feels correct.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

AOSP JellyBean is just incredible. I cannot believe how smooth everything is. There isn't a moment of hesitation anywhere. This has to the fastest phone in existence right now, I can't even imagine something running smoother or faster than this. (Obviously I mean non-3d stuff).

For the record, I am running JellyBelly 3.4 and Franco Kernel via the Play store app. I know it's technically "riced" out, but this is wonderful.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

When I restore data from TiBu it works fine with paid apps. Although I believe the only paid one I restore is swiftkey, and that always works perfectly.

I install a new ROM every couple days roughly. I am curious about a couple really small things. Why does it only sometimes restore my apps? My normal procedure is: Wipe Dalvik, Wipe Cache, Factory Wipe x3 (i know this is overkill, but I don't care!), install ROM, install GApps, go through the setup, after hitting Finish, I then put the phone down for 30 mins or so to let the market do it's thing. But I'm finding 4 out of 5 times it's not doing that anymore.

Along the same lines, why does it sometimes pick up my name for device ownership, and sometimes it doesn't? Are these ROM specific quirks?

I also wanted to express my heartfelt thanks to the Blackbean ROM team, for making their BAKED ROM for the Xoom 4g. It has been dead in the water for ROM's for ages, only Team EOS's incremental nightlies, which suck. Maybe I never noticed, but I just saw it with release 5 a couple weeks ago, and danced all night.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

This is honestly how I feel about it too, I tried CarbonRom and CyanogenMod and both had me flashing back to a 4.1 TouchWiz rom each time. Just so unpolished compared to my previous Galaxy Nexus and like you said battery life was terrible compared to the TouchWiz ones. I'm currently on CleanRom Ace but might go back to JellyBeans.

One of my goals upon getting my Note II was putting some kind of pure AOSP rooted ROM on it, and see how many days it could go between charges, and how ridiculously smooth it would be. No wonder this has never panned out, and no matter what I install, I end back on Eclipse TW 1.3.

Well other than Google Now won't update, and typing this has reminded me to figure out how to remove it and install it back from the market. This is because they've inverted it right? Updates have to be reskinned or something? Which is why I get an unsigned error when updating I'm guessing.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

On the subject of the Samsung Exynos problems. Here's a good comparison of the battery life on the VZW Note II between AOSP and 4.1.1 TW ROM:

AOSP 4.2.2(cleanROM I think)

TW 4.1.1 (beanstown)

I'm really not sure why the quality difference in the pictures. The AOSP rom is my friends phone, and I don't know what could be set to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

So I turned off the setting on my Nexus 7 (original) that charges the battery in an off state. I ADB'd a command to power up the device when it receives power. I did this because I was going to install it in my car. Since that car got smashed in an accident (and I'm glad I procrastinated installing it), I'd like to turn that back off.

BUT, I accidentally let the device power off from absolutely no battery power left. When I plug it in, it usually just boots up, sits there, then powers off, then repeats for hours. The 2 times I've managed to allow this to happen, it usually catches up with itself after a while and finally has enough juice to stay on. Not this time however! When I plug it in, the screen kinda flips out, and it just sits there all black (it's on and illuminated, but nothing is happening at all).

I don't think I'm providing enough power to it, or I've completely destroyed it. I've plugged it into my USB 3.0 slots, wall charger, and used 5 different USB cables. 2 of which came with my Note 2, and GS4 (so I'm pretty confident they're 2A) and 1 of them I know is 2A, as I bought it specifically because it was advertised as such. It was just upgraded to a 4.3 ROM before this happened, although I'm sure that's not a factor.

Any suggestions?