Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
SuperOneClick Root is supposed to work with nearly any device that has Root. The program now runs on basically anything Lin/Win/Mac. I haven't used it but the thread is full of testimonials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Casao posted:

Anyone have a recent MDPI GApps they can post? The td mirror system no longer lists them, and I'm trying to get a slide setup on CM6.

That's odd. I grabbed it yesterday though. So here it is in my dropbox.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/340941/gapps-mdpi-20101008-signed.zip

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
The one that I posted was on the TeamDouche mirror on the 20th. I grabbed it probably 11:00am MST. They must of screwed something up when updating to the newest :P

edit: Found this : gapps-mdpi-20101020-signed.zip md5sum: a5571643a90e265527add455e7da9486

The MD5 can be found on the chached page on google, searching by the file name, there are a lot of mirrors.

deong fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 22, 2010

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Froyo with Sense is just getting started.
pancake 2.2 for the cdma hero. It's non functional, and bikamp was saying its not very likey to ever be :( so cyanogen if you want 2.2.

edit; looks like deca is working on a FroyoSense, but I'm not seeing a thread for it. You can find his link on page6 of this thread though. I doubt it'll have the stability you want, but might be worth watching.

deong fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 25, 2010

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

PapFinn posted:

I've been trying to read up on this so I'm sure, but I always seem to get conflicting information. I'm looking to buy a Hero off of Craigslist to use on Sprint.

Should I be able to somewhat painlessly run Universal Androot and then pick a ROM through ROM Manager?

I really just want to negate as best I can the apparent sluggishness of the phone and have 2.2 running on it.

The CDMA Hero is really easy to root, and you can run CM6 on it. I don't come across any bugs unless I'm playing w/ the nightly builds. The method to root changes depending on what level of OS is currently on it, but the XDA guides will get you set.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

madkapitolist posted:

Im running stable cm6 on my g1 and for some reason I cannot boot into recovery mode (gets stuck at t mobile g1 screen and I end up having to take out the battery). Any ideas? I am trying to install a nightly build.

Your recovery probably got corrupted some how. Just update to whatever the newest is and try.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

PapFinn posted:

When I boot into recovery, the Build listed is RA-heroc-v1.6.2

I figured they wouldn't have the ability to put the stock image back on it. I'm just not sure since it's 1.5 and since I have no idea how long ago it was rooted/flashed if I can drop the latest version of whatever Hero-compatible ROM is out onto the sd card and "Flash zip from sdcard" from recovery.

If its already rooted, there is no sense in going to stock to go to another rom. Just slap the stable cm6 on your sd and flash. Oddly enough, it looks like you've got the newest RA recovery on there. But an old rear end rom. Quick search suggests it came out 12.18.09. You can still make a nandroid backup to get back to where you are. I've never gone back to my original nandroid, and at this point who knows if it works w/ the current recovery even.

I don't know much about sprint activating you, but I don't see why you can't just call and activate. Maybe ask in the Sprint thread, there are a few that work for sprint in there.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

dphi posted:

Are you guys running CM6 on the Hero not getting a lot of force closes? I seem to get one on one app or another at least once a day, something that never really happened on most of the 1.6 ROMs I ran before this.

I mostly get FC when I'm first loading.. and its more that would you like to fc or wait message. If i tell it to wait it finishes w/e it is doing. But this is mostly when I'm impatient and don't let the phone fully boot.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

PapFinn posted:

I'm working on this right now. I have Cyanogen running on the hero now and I have called sprint and have activated the phone on their end. They want me to run a Update Profile in the Settings->About Phone menu but I don't have any such option. I found a thread on XDA that seems to indicate this is just an option stripped from Cyanogen, so I am trying to get a different ROM on there. I'm having issues with that, but I'm slowly working through them I think. I tried a Sense ROM but it just keeps getting stuck at the HTC screen. I'm going back to Cyanogen to see if it's just that particular ROM.

I'm starting to ramble, but as far as Sprint goes, I don't think they care if the phone has been rooted, pre-owned or anything else. They have gone out of their way to help me get this working.

(As I was typing this, Cyanogen started booting up, so it was just an issue with that ROM I guess. If anyone has a link to a Hero compatible ROM that gives me the option to Refresh the user profile, I would certainly appreciate it. It would save me the time of stumbling around XDA like a moron.)

Use Fresh Hero 2.4.0 to update your PRL. Just make a nandroid image once you've gotten it installed. When you update the PRL, it will keep after you wipe and re-flash cm6 (or go to your cm6 nandroid). You can rename the nandroid folder, just keep it to alpha-numeric (no spaces).

While your at it, you can update your radio as well. Radios seem to be geographically independent as to how well they work. What works best in Colorado, might not be the best one in California for instance.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

PapFinn posted:

This worked like a charm. I'm currently getting the google apps installed on there. I assume it's just CM6 that doesn't include them as any other ROM I've had on there prompted me to set up a google account from the beginning.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out getting this working. I really appreciate it.

Yea, I don't understand why but I think Cyanogen was the only rom cooker to get a C&D from google. The workaround was to keep gapps out of the rom.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

travisray2004 posted:

someone posted a while back that they installed the nexus CM6 nighty build on their incredible. Anyone know how to do this?

Check out the cyanogen forums, there is a port for the Incredible ;)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

travisray2004 posted:

I know this but he said that there were a lot more features in the nexus build. Figured I'd try it to see if that's true.

I believe the nightlies/experimental builds are all the same across the devices that have a forum.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I assume you should be able to update like the rest of android devices, stick the new rom on the sd card (verify the md5sum) and do a nandroid/flash from your recovery.

edit: Looks like Press/Hold Vol down + Camera + power button during boot to get into recovery. Once in recovery, there should be an option to let you install custom roms from zip.

deong fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 1, 2010

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
You can use collins tweak to specify a speed by running batt-cfg in adb shell. It has 2 defaults, the 691 and 768. If you want to get randy, you can tell it what you want to run at. I put it at 768 while on ac/usb charge, then 710 for unplugged use. like utonium mentioned, your max clock speed is device dependent, but a lot are successful at the full 768. Check the 2nd post of that link to Deca's kernel. It's got the tweaking magic settings at the bottom.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

God Exists. posted:

The entire bloatware premise is silly anyway and I don't know why people care so much about it, most of the apps aren't doing anything on your phone except taking up space in your app drawer (which you can hide).

The disk space is another reason ;). When you get a message saying disk is full, then see 10 apps you never use nor want, it gets irritating.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ddogflex posted:

Holy crap, changing the system font is easy. I've been looking around for what to do off and on today and then thought "why not just copy/paste a ttf over DroidSans.ttf with Root Explorer". I did it, it worked. Hooray for Helvetica Light. Why the hell haven't I seen this as a suggestion on how to do it?

You don't scan every one of the android threads? hah.

When changing your system font that way, make sure to #chmod 644 /system/fonts/*, and #chown root:root /system/fonts/*; I've gotten into boot loops due to incorrect permissions.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Invader Tim posted:

From the rudimentary understanding of it that I have, without rooting I don't think I am missing anything outside of screenshots, removing stock apps and removing all the ads.

Are there any other customizing/benefits that I'm sorely going to lack on a Droid X without rooting and that I can't make happen with apps?

Tethering for free is why a lot root to start. Biggest thing is OS updates/optimizations for me. I'm on an HTC Hero, and the cyanogen ROM is much faster than the stock image. I don't much attention to DroidX, but I'd guess its in the same boat.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So I'm trying to get into T-mo, what phone do I grab. The G2 or the MyT4g? I don't care about the keyboard really, but rootability is big. Since Cyanogen runs a G2, I'm thinking I might go w/ that. Does the MyT4g run cyanogen etc? I don't think I can let my guard down for the Nexus S to be honest.. maybe after it comes out I can ditch whichever on craigs and grab the nexus s.

I need to get away from my drat hero, its soo loving slow.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

G2. Cyanogen loves his and he's actually releasing updates for it more than his Nexus One now. He's getting unfuckered Quadrant scores of 3k+.

That was kind of what I'm thinking. I'm trying to get in on my brothers employee plan (he's at Tmo) woot. I want quadrant scores over 800 :P

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Am I thinking right, that anything on my NEW G2 :woop: will be listed under the HTC Desire Z on XDA?

Still waiting for the sim and I already want to pop cyanogenmod on there heh.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Grats. Yeah, it's actually the Desire Z. Make sure you stick to the GSM threads as I think there a are a few CDMA versions floating around. Edit: I'd stick with CM on it though. Steve loves his and it looks like it will be supported for quite a while.

Cool, thanks for the heads up.
It's crazy. This phone has 100% w/o signal ofcourse, and the bitch still has 10% life after 1d0h9m. My hero is dead in 8 hrs on a good day, with good signal and no use outside of autosyncing. I think I'm in love. :swoon:. And this thing has some drat heft to it. Feels solid as hell.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Yea, found that. I just wanted to be 100% Desire Z and g2 were the same. I'm already on CM6 with it, playing with the settings. It's so awesome to have a flash, and FM radio. Neither features I expect to use though heh. New toy's rock.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Jewce posted:

Thanks, sorry for not posting the device. I got it working by wiping twice and then reinstalling cm 6.1 two times in a row before rebooting. Who knows what the hell..

Might be something with your recovery image. I had an issue before with my hero, that doing a wipe would not delete everything. I was having some really odd issues until I changed my recovery image, it would not do a proper wipe.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Urfdser posted:

Forgive my stupid question. I rooted my Evo a few weeks ago. Never changed off Sense cause I like it. My question is about what I do in the future. I'm guessing if Sprint pushes an OTA update I refuse it. I bought Clockwork a while back too, should I just use that to install Fresh and not worry about things? I'm just wary of breaking the phone itself or breaking root but I also would like 2.3 at some point.

If you updated your recovery image (sounds it, clockwork) when you did the root, then the OTA update will fail if it even downloads it. Normally you won't even get the update prompt, but since you didn't change the rom you may. Clockwork will refuse to load it though. Then, wait 3 hrs and check out XDA. They'll have the update baked into a stock rom normally. Install that and restart the cycle.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Has anyone tried the gingerbread keyboard?
I tried installing it using this guide and I honestly cannot tell if it worked. I do not think it did.. Its in an update.zip format, and only works on rooted/froyo phones.

edit: Looks like the droid life guys got the auto correct working sometime after talkandroid picked it up.

deong fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 7, 2010

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

explosivo posted:

Reposting from the App thread:

Anybody have any experience with this? I can't get into anything during boot including the bootloader, it always starts right into this loading screen thing. Kind of nervous, I'm worried that I finally managed to brick my phone :ohdear:

Edit: I'm running CM 6.1 on a CDMA Hero by the way

Edit 2: If I hit the power button while the progress bar is starting it says

ClockworkMod Recovery v.2.5.0.1
Finding update package...
Opening update package..
Verifying update package..
Installing update..
(then it restarts)

See if you can get into the recovery console by plugging into your computer, and running adb reboot recovery, and try to wipe/flash from there.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is there a one stop shop walkthrough on getting a factory myTouch Slide to the latest CM release? Getting really sick of listening to my girlfriend bitch about how lovely mySense is and how often system processes crash. I know literally nothing about the dev community on this phone and I loathe searching on XDA.

Cyanogen forums. There is an xda link so you don't have to search ;)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Emo Businessman posted:

That fixed it. I downloaded Cyanogen 6.1.2 + Google Apps, rebooted into Clockwork, did a factory wipe and cache wipe, then installed both from .zip files. Works like a charm and Tweetdeck was the first result of a market search as expected. Thanks!

Is it possible to get Launcher2 back though? ADWLauncher is fine, but I accidentally dragged an icon over the "App Drawer" once and never figured out how to get it back.

MoDoCo has the Gingerbread launcher in the market. Appbrain link. That or the LauncherPro is a rewrite of the stock launcher, I believe. It's well received.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

chef posted:

Should I be worried about installing to the latest OTA evo software update? I am rooted now and remember hearing some noise about the last time bricking people's phones. Is there a specific recommended procedure?

When you change your recover image (clockwork, ra-amon) it makes it so that you cannot install ota updates.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Pissflaps posted:

I rooted my HTC Desire a while ago and have the ClockworkMod Bootloader on it. HTC have just released an OTA update that fails to install after the phone has booted.

To install it, would I have to replace the bootloader?

Wait 20 mins, and someone will have a rooted versions avil off xda.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
do you know offhand if we can get the gallery only from MIUI? I don't really want the whole thing, but that gallery looks nice.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Neurophonic posted:

If it's anything like the music, SMS and phone apps, no. They have custom frameworks that the new apps are built upon, similar to Sense etc.

That's kind of what I was expecting. Oh well.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

tehfox0r posted:

Sorry if anything like this has been mentioned, I've followed the thread pretty closely and I don't recall anyone having a similar problem.

My brother has a CDMA Hero running 1.5 on Sprint. I'm wanting to root it and put Cyanogen 6.1 on there (that is 2.2 I believe). However, I can't get ROM Manager to install successfully no matter what I do (it isn't available on the market, so I've tried random APKs and Appbrain Fast Web Installer as well, all to no avail).

Is what I want to do even possible on a CDMA Hero? I've successfully (I think) rooted the phone using Universal Androot. Can someone explain or point me towards information about flashing Clockwork Recovery without using ROM Manager? Any help will be appreciated, I'd like to get 2.2 on this phone if at all possible. Thanks!!

Root guide from XDA This will work with software versions 1.29.651.1 and 1.56.651.2 (aka Android 1.5). CM6.1 works well on the Hero. I wouldn't bother with Rom Manager, I always had issues with it with my Hero. Just put the cm6.1 update.zip on your /sdcard/ root and flash from clockwork/ra-amon.

Really its pretty straight forward. Just be sure to read all the way through once or twice before you begin and you should be fine.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

yamdankee posted:

That seems like a lot of work. Does SuperOneClickRoot not work for the Hero?

Makes me think - If I'm rooting a bunch of Heros, is there a way I can do that process once, on one Hero, and someone copy over a backup on all the other phones? Basically thinking of how I can root, install wireless tether and a few other things, even change the boot screen, and make it a backup that I can apply to all the phones I have quickly.

Its just copy and paste. And it gives you enough info that if you wanted to know wtf you could find out what your actually doing heh.

As for everything else, I would think just modify the cyanogen rom with the extra's you want/need. Rom building is easy enough. XDA has plenty of how-to's. Just inject the extra apk's so its all done in one heap. For the rooting, it cant take more than 5 mins.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Turnquiet posted:

Do I just need to find the AmonRa.zip somewhere and then point Rom Manager to the file? Right now it says 'No Alternate Found' so I think that is what is missing.

I'd suggest flashing via ADB. It's simple once adb is set up.
Here is the instructions for an Evo 4g. It's from Aug 28.. but it appears to be the newest.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Since you've already got root, just wait a few hours and someone will have the update hacked for root users. Someone will put out the OTA updated just enough to be able to apply it.
Run your nandroid before the update of course.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Binary posted:

This is regarding the gfree method for unlocking with the G2. Sorry to quote myself, but some of this stuff I'm learning as I do it and didn't get a reply.

Your going to want to have the gfree file in /data/local judging by those commands. When you run cd /data/local, it changes your working directory. then the chmod runs from your working directory (/data/local).

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

DkHelmet posted:

Negative. It shows up in Manage Applications and Titanium Backup, but there's no icon available. I can't be the only one to lament the fact that there's no visual voicemail on the Incredible with Cyanogen? What do other people use?

If this thread is anything to judge, 90% use gvoice.. So since that's not an option, not sure.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Primworm posted:

Well Titanium Backup has an option that says something to the effect of "safely restore system data across different versions" and honestly, the only thing I wanted to restore was my call log and my SMS messages,if I knew exactly what entries to restore for that, I would be golden. My phone also seems to randomly reboot, albeit very rarely. It hasn't been enough to be a bother, but I bet as soon as it force closes on me in the middle of a game of angry birds or something I'll be mad.

If your mostly after SMS/MMS and call log, just get into the habit of installing SMSBackup+. It backs up to gmail so you can search through old text, and lets you back them onto the phone if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I just said screw it, and if I need to look at an old SMS I open up the gmail app and look at the SMS label.