Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Running CM7-0 on my G2 seems like a bust :(. It doesn't help that I have poo poo signal, but it would not let me connect to wifi. I would turn it on, and after maybe 20 seconds it would uncheck itself.

What all does the clockwork 3.x do that 2.5 wouldn't? It was annoying to have to update the recovery, install, flash the 2.5.x back to get back into my nandroid. I even tried to run a nandroid backup after updating to cw3.x (w/ cm6) and I couldn't restore it after cm7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ratbert90 posted:

It's a known issue, just reboot and wifi will work from there on out.

lol well gently caress. I'll wait for the next nightly before loving with it. I didn't even bother looking around to see if it was a known issue/fix.. I just assumed its not quite ready. Thanks for the info.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Hog Obituary posted:

Is anyone running CM7 on an HTC G2/Vision/Desire Z? I just installed it tonight but found that WiFi wasn't working and my GApps install didn't seem to work either. I figured at that point I didn't care enough to mess with it and just restored my previous backup of CM6.1.1.

I'm really just curious to see if anyone else has it running.

Someone mentioned to me earlier that its a known bug with wifi. Try to reboot the phone, apparently that'll fix wifi.

I did the same thing.. Wifi didn't work and I don't have cell coverage, so I went back to 6.1.. I plan to try it again tomorrow.

edit: it was ratbert90.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

One of my idiot friends has a retarded friend with a MyTouch4G. Idiot friend rooted it and retarded friend attempted to load a custom ROM. The brick is now on my desk and when powered on, just goes to the MyTouch4G splash screen and stays there. It won't go into recovery mode when I hold volume down while powering up. It is recognized over USB and I'm installing the ADB driver for it right now. What the hell do I need to do to get this to work?

If ADB works, from the terminal just do adb reboot recovery. If it boots into recovery, success and flash cm6.1 or what ever. If it does not.. um.. cry?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Casao posted:

The ADB daemon doesn't boot up during the bootloader in my experience - fastboot does. You might be able to fastboot reboot recovery, but if holding down volume down on boot doesn't work, it probably won't work.

I've gotten into recovery during a boot loop like that. It seems adb is one of the early load items, not sure.

Doctor rear end in a top hat, what recovery? You can try to go in and delete the partitions manually if its clockwork? I think RAmon has an option like that too.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Has anyone started to play with that new Tmo theme that was introduced into CM7?

Cyanogen Twitter posted:

The new theme system from @TMobile will be in tonights CM7 nightly build :)
19 hours ago

edit: speaking of themes.. the kitchen at http://circle.glx.nl/ has become quite comprehensive. It has options for status bar icons (batt, signal etc), the status bar, the boot animation. It apparently works with CM6&7, but I've not yet tried it.

deong fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 22, 2011

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Ugh. I love CM7 (N1) but the phone/dialer lock up bug is just too much. Get a call? Make a call? Enjoy the black screen while the person on the other end waits 15 seconds to hear you. Yes, I understand it's an alpha but geez, you'd think such a horrific bug would get addressed.

Does that happen with DialerOne for you? Ive got CM7#8 (G2) and I think it's only happened once for me.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Weaponized Cum posted:

I recently bought a G2 and I have decided to root it. I had a G1 years ago so I'm out if the loop. I've looked at XDA and most of the threads talk about VISIONary, which apparently has not been updated for quite a while. What is the easiest/safest way to root? Is Cyanogen still the best ROM?

Use the Cyanogen method. Quick and easy.

As for the best ROM, I would guess either Cyanogen or MIUI would be the top. I'm using CM7 nightlies with mine, and its been working great. A few of the nightlies have had odd issues, but that's to be expected. If your not a beta software kinda guy, CM6.1 was flawless as far as I'm concerned. Never ran into issues.

MIUI Seemed to work w/o issues for me.. but I didn't care for the style so I went back to CM7. Its totally a preference thing though, so give both a shot.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ZShakespeare posted:

Is there an easy way to change the system font with CM7?

Root is needed *right thread so I assume no issue*..
TypeFresh will do it. Some font's don't work out all that great due to sizing.. so just keep that in mind. I actually think that the ubuntu fonts look great, if you search back you can find some screen shots from mine.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

travisray2004 posted:

I was hoping to install the font and change a setting rather than installing another app but I'll give this a go. Thanks.

You can do it manually.
Replace the 3 fonts in /system/fonts/
Clockopia.ttf
DroidSans-Bold.ttf
DroidSans.ttf

Then verify the permissions. All in all, not really worth it since TypeFresh will do all of that for you, plus backup the orig font.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Civil posted:

CM7 on my G2 worked great the first night, then things kind of deteriorated. Now, the wifi is dead no matter what I do - it won't connect to anything. I've never had this problem before. It's looking like nightly 40 isn't any better. Too bad.

I do like some of the features, though - lockscreen gestures are awesome. I scribble out an M to go straight to messaging, or an E to get to my email.

Hmm. I'm on a G2 with Cm7rc1. Everything seems to be working as expected for me. Did you try going back to #30 or one of the others that worked fine? I suspect you tried to do a full wipe as well?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Civil posted:

This is the first CM7 build I tried - I didn't bother with nightlies before this. I did wipe, and just find it curious that I could get on wifi the first night after installing it, then afterwards, it didn't work.

I didn't wipe when I tried nightly 40, I just flashed over. I'll try a complete/full wipe and try 40 again to see if it helps. It's encouraging that it's working perfectly for others.

Oh.. being it's your first CM7.. It might be a bug...

There is something with CM7 that does not start the wifi on first boot. Once you boot, go as far as you can and reboot. Wifi should now work. I forget who told me a while back.. but yea. Its dumb but works hah.

Since it worked then didn't, not sure if its the same one for you or not. But for me its just on the first boot into cm7 that it happened. Even reflashing (w/o wipe) it has not been an issue. But every wipe I have to reboot a 2nd time to set up.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Civil posted:

My G2 has always been a good phone, but from stock 2.2, to CM6, to MIUI to Virtuous, I never had great battery life - I'd always be down to 20 - 30% by the time I went to bed (around 10 - 11) and I'd plug my phone back in.

With CM7 (build 40 before the reset), I'm above 50% by the same mark. Yesterday, it was over 60%. This isn't ignoring it, either, I watched 40 minutes of video with rockplayer, and I goof with it on and off all day. Anyway, whatever magic they sprinkled on that ROM is working. I can't wait for the rest of the ROM's to make the jump to 2.3.

I'm normally at 11hrs and getting notified about my G2's life warning. I'm on CM7R1 right now.. Think I'll give #4 a shot. Are you using the CM kernel, or the pershot one listed in ROM Manager?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

kombatMedik posted:

Is CM& pretty much functional for G2's? I don't want to be without GPS and wifi, but if it's working i'll throw it on mine tonight.

Like LiquidRain, I have a random reboot now and again.. but it hasn't been a big enough issue to bother finding out if its the same thing. Cm7 works w/o a hitch on my G2.. no complaints. I don't even notice any real bug fixes, just features.

I love the gesture auto response in the stock SMS now.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

brc64 posted:

Oh, best features of CM7 that I've found so far: ability to use volume buttons to take a picture in the Camera app.

EVO doesn't have a dedicated camera button, and doing this feels a hell of a lot more natural than pressing the shutter button on the screen.

Pfft.
Best feature is using the (hold) Volume up/down w/ screen off to change music tracks, and (hold) camera button (g2) to pause/play.

I use my phone to listen while riding my bike/snowboarding. I love not needing to turn the screen on and using my nose/taking gloves off to change the music.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I don't think I've actually added any music since I moved to CM7. I have about 4g on there now that I cycle through, using Pandora when I've got my charger on hand.

I prefer the HTC notifications, so I've got /media/audio/(alarms, notifications, ringtones). I don't think I'm using any stock CM7 sounds.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Uh oh, what is this?

It's optional; Google 2 step verification

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

brc64 posted:

Tangent question: When updating nightlies, is it necessary to redownload and flash gapps as well?

I thought that with CM7, it became nessicary to flash both. I just keep gapps on my sdcard and flash it after updating the nightly. If you are still on CM6, you won't need to.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LastInLine posted:

Got a question for G2 CM6/7 users:

My buddy has a G2 running CM6, the last stable one. Well he got hit by the SMS to the wrong person bug and asked if there was something he could do. I know this was fixed in 2.2.2 and 2.3.2, but I don't think there was a stock G2 update to 2.2.2 and the CM6 version he's on reports the Android version as 2.2.1.

Was there a CM6 nightly for the G2 that fixed the SMS bug or used 2.2.2?

If not, how are the CM7 nightlies for the G2? Everything I read on xda and the Cyanogen forums suggest that they're pretty lovely.

I'd honestly rather wait until CM7 was a lot more polished but he's not too happy about the SMS being sent to the wrong person so I'm doing what I can to help.

I've had 0 issues with CM and my G2. Both CM6 and CM7 nightlies run flawless from what I can tell. I don't get into HSPA+ very often, but when I do that seems to work fine even. Every now and then one of the nightlies will cause random reboots, but the RC1 should be fine.

If I recall, there are a few of us G2+CM7 users w/o complaint.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LiquidRain posted:

CombatMedic: What's your phone?

I've only got a couple odd issues with CM7 nightlies on my G2:

- I get about 16 hours to the charge off my default 1300mAh HTC battery at 800Mhz, which seems merely OK, but about 80% of that is spent on "Phone Idle" and "Cell Standby" and Wifi. While it makes sense to me that the radios consume the most power, is this normal? I'd have expected a LITTLE more. (I'm a fairly light user, no games, but coming from Nokia phones 16 hours to a charge is very little since I'm used to 48+ hours)
- The ringtone fudging bug I mentioned earlier. (adding or removing music or ringtones from your SD card will screw up your notification sounds)
- The occasional random reboot, always seems to be centred around the screen turning off in landscape mode. (it has yet to reboot on me when I am actually using the phone)
- I find that my G2 constantly switches between 3G and HSPA+, which causes a lot of network delays as I sit there waiting for HSPA+ to kick in before the damned radio starts working again. (honestly I'd turn off HSPA+ if I could just to get rid of this problem)

I haven't thoroughly tested GPS, it's not part of my day-to-day as the network location pinning generally works very well for my purposes.

My battery life is around 15 hrs on average. I use my phone pretty randomly, and tend to be on wifi calling the most, lovely signal at home. I forget to turn WiFi off when I leave, so its near constantly searching as well.

I came across the randomness of ring tones you mention. Not sure what triggered it, I didn't change the music/audio at all. I did update the newest CM7 and that seems to be when it started.. not sure.

I don't notice network wonky-ness much, but I don't do much other than stream Pandora consistently enough to notice.

As for GPS. It's awesome for me. I have a cyclo-computer on my bike. They are within .5mi on a 25 mile ride. Looking at the map, its very close to accurate during that time as well. Pretty drat awesome, as GPS is one of my most used features.

The one thing I notice with my G2 is random um, clicks? It seems that it will move the cursor (as if your using the track pad) on its own. I've heard this may be an issue with static, but who knows. It does not seem related to the position of my hands.. and it has happened from Stock, CM6 to CM7. So I assume its a hardware issue.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Have you updated the Radio on your G2?
When I was using the Hero, I would update it all the time. On the G2 it does not seem to be as easy to find the radio updates.. It feels like with Cm7, the signal is getting worse.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

heat posted:

The only thing I will miss from Sense is the ability to select text in a non-retarded fashion (For anyone who has always had Sense, selecting text in the vanilla browser works like GMail - long press where you want start selecting, choose "select text" then tap again at the end of what you want to select, with one chance to get it right)

You need to try out CM7. I think it changed in 2.3.3, now when you press and hold in the browser it highlights the word you touched. When you let go, it gives you 2 sliders on either side to adjust. Touch the center-ish of the hilighted selection and it now copies. Bada bing, bada boom. Its been so long since I've used sense, I don't recall if it is any better/easier.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
For anyone running CM Nightlies, here is a nice webpage that parses the commits into a changelog of sorts. You can specify your device as well. Makes things a little easier to keep track of.
http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LiquidRain posted:

Hey neat, you can even hide translations. I like that. Now if only it were available in RSS format...

haha. This was on the page first thing this AM.

quote:

rss announcement
Hey guys! I've added RSS capabilities to pages. You can paste page link to your rss aggregators and let them find it, or you can use the link from the orange rss icon at the bottom of the page. Have fun! :}

edit: bleh. It's poorly done. In Greader it only gives links to the Nightlies commits. Does not just show up in the reader.

deong fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 20, 2011

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

big mean giraffe posted:

Add it to your sd card in /media/audio/alarms/ I believe. Never added custom alarms though.

This works for me. Cm7.
for customs.. 3 different folders go under the audio folder.
alarms, notifications, ringtones.
I've only used mp3's, but they work fine.

also.. what are the profiles you speak of?

Edit: never noticed the setting, thanks.

deong fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 21, 2011

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Slopehead posted:

I only have so much space on my SD card. Is there any way I can drop a shortcut into that /alarm folder?

You can put then in /system/media/audio (r/o), but you have less space there.. If you have an internal sd, I suspect you can have the same file structure. not sure if there are any size/length restrictions.. I just do htc sounds.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LiquidRain posted:

All the time on my G2. Randomly I'll get "insufficient storage." The number of apps being updated doesn't matter, I've had 4 updates go at once and no problems, and other times it struggles to install a single application.

I get this all the time since being on CM7 (g2). Looking at the manage applications.. I have 0.99gb free. It's annoying, but if I tell it to reinstall it usually takes care of it. Not a big enough issue, but still stupid.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Mine GO BOOM posted:

Not having this issue, but it seems like it might be that your cache mount maybe full, and it is having difficulty figuring out what to move out of the way. Next time this happens, try flushing your browser's cache and see if that clears it up. If so, report it as a bug to CM.

Does clearing the browser cache clear out saved passwords?

edit: just tried it. It does not clear saved passwords. We'll see if this helps w/ that on my G2.. Thanks.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

rotaryfun posted:

Can anyone explain kernals to me?

I'm running cm7 rc2 nightly on my og droid and folks on the droid and cyanogenmod forums talk about flashing to different kernals. I downloaded the ChevyNo1-1.0Ghz-lowV-7slot-update kernal, but I really don't want to flash it without really knowing what I'm doing.

I've never flashed a kernal so I guess I'm running the stock kernal? How much danger is there in flashing kernals?

It should be just the same as flashing a rom. Go into recovery and flash the zip. Generally the only thing that it can gently caress up is the current install. So Nandroid before and you've got your reassurance. If they have the stock OC'd too high, I guess you can have issues there too, but its doubtful if people on XDA use it much.

I don't know anything about og droid specific kernals.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Pissflaps posted:

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but can i install Cyanogenmod 7 RC4 over RC1 without wiping anything? Will it just update?

Will it be the same when the final release comes out?

Yes, you should be able to just install over. I update nightlies without ever wiping; so far no problem. You need to also reinstall gapps. Always be prepared for a full data wipe on any update though (nandroid if you care).

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

quadratic posted:

Just star your location in Maps.

I do this. You can star your current location in maps, then hit the star later and get directions.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there a good guide for the OC settings?

I'd like to stick to the middle of the road... Best performance/battery life ratio possible.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Gtalk 1.3 w/ Web cam integration.

I've got it installed on my G2, and outside the fact I don't have a front facing camera, it is working. I don't know many with webcams to really test it though. You do have to be on 2.3.4 (I'm on the latest nightly). The .zip did not work right flashing from recovery, so I just extracted and manually pushed the files, then rebooted.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
moved..

deong fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 3, 2011

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Drevoak posted:

That's what I did. Having sunlight in my room compared to being pitch black is exactly the same amount of light according to the sensor unfortunately. I'd like to have very little brightness when there is actually no light in my room and a some brightness when there is.

Have you checked the kernel yet?
The older kernels had less levels for light detection than the newest.. maybe you kernel is busted all together?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Lowen SoDium posted:

It looks like the CM nightlies are coming out again.

the md5 on the G2 nightly was wrong, and the build wouldn't flash.. I grabbed the G2 update from this mirror. Remember to verify your md5's since there has been HDD issues..

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Check the xda thread of the kernel..
G2 specific, but the latest Pershoot had a quip in it that it does not work with CM7 nightlies higher than #75 or something, and we're in the 90's.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Doghouse posted:

How exactly do you do this? I seem to already have Rom Manager Premium. Please excuse my inexperience, this is my first time with Android at all, much less using CM7.

From RomManager;
Download ROM>CyanogenMod Nightlies>Pick your flavor.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

fondue posted:

No google app will launch ... market, gmail, or whatever. I'm not having any problems updating to whatever CM7 release is out, and when I flash the google apps no error message is registered, but none of them actually work on the phone. I assume I've missed some step or something. :P

You may want to verify the version of gapps. Sound like you are doing it right.. Update cm7, then flash gapps. You don't even need to reboot between the 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

fondue posted:

That's exactly what I'm doing - i'm using the rom downloaded by the RomManager app, is that the wrong one to use?

Strange; I'd imagine RomManager would pick the right one for you. Do you clear the dalvik cache.when you flash? Try that, and I'd guess the next step would be a full wipe/reflash.