Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
At work, I'm not supposed to have a rooted phone. We use Xenprise (Citrix Worx) for exchange. I need to be able to use my phone, but I'd like to get on board with the Xposed frame work so that I can make my quick settings actually useful. Does anyone know if I root, apply, then remove root, will Citrix be able to tell? I'm not really sure how it determins if root has been given on the phone. Nor do I know if it detects an unlocked bootloader.

Verizon Droid Maxx, 4.2.2. Can't update to kit kat till they fix the drat citrix app to work with 4.4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
From the faq on xda,
Does this require root access?
Yes, because it replaces a file in /system/bin. Once the framework is installed, it should work without root access.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

sirbeefalot posted:

So apparently the 4.4.3 update might be imminent for the N5. I'm trying to make the update as painless as possible - currently I'm stock rooted, with Xposed+GB installed. I've backed up the GB settings. Do I need to fully deactivate/uninstall Xposed before updating when the time comes?

Then after the update, I assume the procedure to get back to where I am now would be to re-flash custom recovery, re-flash Xposed in recovery, re-install GB in Xposed, restore my GB settings, reboot, profit?

Since you have a custom recovery you won't get the update automatically. You can wait till someone releases a rooted stock recovery. As for xposed etc, not sure.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Cruseydr posted:

So what's the difference between a rooted mobile device and allowing people to do their banking from a PC?

For what its worth, it probably doesnt work on linux either cause of HACKERS.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
If you get lucky, you buy just unlock apps from amazon and still update the main app. I did this with touchdown. Still have to keep amazon, but at least the app can be up to date.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
How is Android L on the 2013 Nexus 7? I was thinking about updating early, but don't really want to if a lot of apps are broken with it. I already use ART, so I'm assuming that if what I have works now, it'll be fine on Android L as well?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

RVProfootballer posted:

Nah, lots of apps are broken. If you search for something like "apps broken in android L," you can find lists. Off the top of my head, at least initially, Dropbox, Twitter, and Facebook were all totally or mostly broken. I know Twitter at least is fixed, though I use Plume and it was fine from the start.

Thanks, I'll just wait till things are a little more solid. And I'll give devs 1 stars for motivation!!
For some reason I thought the brokenness was due to ART, so that's good to know.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LastInLine posted:

Holy poo poo, the first use case for USB OTG where it makes a lot of sense.

I use one with my nexus 7 on vacations so I can look at pictures from a camera without needing my laptop.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

That's incredibly disappointing to hear. Is there a way to add to the internal storage partition with my SD card without rooting, then? Or am I going to have to try every exploit app I can find and cross my fingers?

You are talking about resizing the partitions which is a lot more in depth than just rooting. Since your phone isn't supported by XDA, I don't think you'll be able to get what you want out of this. How new is the phone, still with in the return date?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Civil posted:

Anyone still rocking an HP Touchpad? We used to have a thread somewhere, but it dropped off my bookmarks.

Anyway, I'm still rocking CM9 on it, which was fine for quite a while, but now I'm getting tons of force-closures on it, reboots, and apps like chrome will no longer update (perpetually downloading).

I'm fine with Android 4.0, but if there's something better, I'd happily upgrade, but I'd just need it fully functional (including wifi and bluetooth). XDA has some 4.4 builds, but most seem broken in one or both of those areas. I keep it in my kitchen on the touchstone, and use it as a streaming music player to a bluetooth speaker, along with a quick web reference.

Any recommendations?

Honestly, if that is all you are using it for I'd stick with WebOS. I still have mine, cm9 as well, and every time it boots into WebOS it feels soo much better. But with that its basically a web browser and a music player. I'm not sure if you can even download any apps, didn't the webos store get shut down? I was always having to update the CM version to the newest nightly and I don't think any of them ever ended up being 'good'. Just mostly good.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

r0ck0 posted:

When can I load the final version of lollipop on my N5 and will it require a wipe/clean install or can I upgrade from kitkat? What is the state of root on lollipop, will have to root it again?

Christ, just read that root will require a custom kernel. Ugh, really?

If the preview is any indication, you will be able to upgrade w/o wipe. BUT, that can cause some issues and its always better to wipe with major version changes.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

XIII posted:

So, what's the fastest way from a 4.4.4 ROM to 5.0 on a Nexus 7 (2012)? I've used various ROMs on it since the day I bought it, but I'm kind of tired of loving with them and just want stock 5.0 plus root

I'm currious how this works out for you. I swappa'd my 2012 N7 and bought a 2013 N7 with the proceeds because there wasn't enough ram. I wonder if 5.0 will be easier for it to manage than 4.4

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Nerdrock posted:

My 2013 on 5.0 with root and TWRP runs amazing. I was running ART on 4.4.4 and it behaved pretty much the same.

Oh yea. I just flashed the new 5.0 on the 2013 N7 and its working a lot better than the preview was. I installed the first preview and it would have niggly little issues with closing apps on me. So far it seems better. I'm just kind of curious how the 2012 fares.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Whenever I flash over, i just go into the bat/sh and remove the -w for wipe. Then whoop.
Or you can open the bat file and just follow along if you want to see what is being done, and again "-w" means wipe.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Guillermus posted:

Did they stop sending updates to the N7 2013? I was holding on rooting it to at least get adblock and some stuff back.

im pretty sure.
I love the size of the n7, wish they'd update it. But tablets are dead apparently :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

sleepwalkers posted:

Nvidia Shield K1 is what you're looking for, then. Small, low-cost 7" tablet.

Ya. I just want a new Nexus 7 😤