Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
So I haven't really played with custom stuff since CM6 came out. Any new poo poo for the Nexus One?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

big mean giraffe posted:

MIUI is pretty cool, but I still prefer CM6. Latest nightlys have some nice new features, and 6.1 should be out soonish, with power control in the notification pulldown and individual swipe-able notifications and some other poo poo too.

Thanks. Am I right in thinking that the N1 FM receiver will be included in 6.1? I've been looking forward to that for a while.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
I know its crazy, but I'm amazed at how well the FM support works on this new build. Even worse, I'm amazed at the 60 year old technology itself - streaming audio, without any delay, without using any data, minimal battery use, and it'll work anywhere! :science: They should put this poo poo in cars!

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

God Exists. posted:

Once you root you give up OTA updates in my opinion. You probably need an unmodified recovery in order to flash the OTA. I'm sure someone will leak a Gingerbread ROM on the N1 before its release date anyway.

This is what happened with Froyo, at least. There was actually some confusion last May when Froyo came out because of all the rapid and different versions of Froyo, but upgrading or downgrading from one ROM to another was a little complicated then compared to now, with tools like Rom Manager making it much easier.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Casao posted:

Because it now costs money to use this on T-Mobile.

How long until someone figures out an app-based work around for rooted phones? I'm still able to tether, since I'm apparently under the tethered data cap after which the error appears, but losing free and simple tethering would be a major blow to my t-mobile loyalty. As a free service, it's excellent; but if I have to pay for tethering, I'd go to a faster carrier.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Dropping "unlimited data" from 10 GB to 5 GB and the removal of the EM+ plans from their website are also aggravating issues. But who cares about carrier loyalty? If T-Mobile still works for you and you have a great plan with them, why not?

poo poo, when did that happen? As for carrier loyalty, I assume the carriers do. I'd figured smaller carriers like T-Mobile trade perks for customers, since they have less to offer by way of speeds and coverage (in general). I guess that's a conversation for a different thread though.

I'll take comfort knowing that if a solution is possible in the way you described, or in some other way, then it shouldn't be long until someone puts it together.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Any idea how I can turn off the backlighting on the four buttons in MIUI? Something I appreciated in CM6 for ebook reading, but it doesn't seem to be an option in this ROM.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Big news this week: the nook color has been rooted by XDA devs, making it essentially a $250 android tablet.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/11/rooted_nook_color_delivers_android_experience_on_a_cheap_250_tablet.html

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Spent a day or two with MIUI, switched back to CM6RC2. I think the MIUI team is doing great, but things felt a little unfinished in places and lacked some customization options I've grown used to on CyanogenMod. I'll probably pop back in a few months to see where it is. I do like the MIUI aesthetic though, and it wouldn't surprise me if smaller Chinese manufacturers started running it out of the box.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

b0nes posted:

so what'w the difference between a kernel and a ROM? Also tell me why a few amateur programmers can get 2.3 ported to phones but big companies full of professionals can't do it?

From what I understand: the system's hardware talks to the kernel, and the kernel talks to the ROM. It manages the systems resources. Most custom kernels are designed to improve on how those resources are managed, ie by scaling CPU when possible to save battery life.

Amateur programmers are usually professional programmers from other companies or industries. They don't have any business infrastructure and have a relationship with users that doesn't require them to releasing it in a 'perfect' form. Bazaar > Cathedral, yo.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Got bored and flashed Micromod's Gingerbread ROM for my Nexus One. 2.3 is clearly not perfectly optimized for the hardware, as there are a few places where things look off or slow for no apparent reason, but in general it is a very nice upgrade. My biggest grief was not backing up my apps correctly with AppBrain or Titanium, so the factory wipe meant downloading a lot of stuff over again. On the plus side, the upgrade didn't break any apps that I know of.

Rather than give any pure review of the stock software, I put back in all the widgets and Launcher Pro stuff I was using before on CM6.1. In general, everything works pretty much the same. Scrolling homescreens aren't noticeably faster, but opening the drawer caused some graphical stutter. I set the load time to 10 for that, so there is no longer any animation, and opening the drawer is instant. I feel like the radio is different, and that I'm spending more time on Edge than I used to with whatever radio was packaged with CM6.1.

Mostly, everything just looks better. Menus are more aesthetically pleasing, scrolling there has improved some, and there is added uniformity between apps buttons. Copy and pasting is nice and functional, though it can be a little easy to lose the selection mode.

In short, there aren't really any must-have features in Gingerbread, but if you're bored of what you're running and want to check it out early on the N1, download, wipe, and flash Micromod.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Been using GB since Micromod 1.17 on my Nexus One. Really looking forward to flashing CM7, and I hope all this nightly build praise means the stable is coming soon. The Micromod set me back a bit on battery life, waiting to see if CM makes it any better.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Aatrek posted:

Anybody know how far out the STABLE CM7 for the Incredible?

I'm guessing only a few weeks away. They've been running nighties for about twenty days. I think it took a little over a month to get to 6.0 from the previous, and another month from the 6.1 RCs to stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
I get a lot of weird resets on CM7 nightlies and my widgets are always broken when the phone comes back. Anyone else?