Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Craptacular! posted:

2) I'm not sure if this is Touiteur's fault or CM6's fault, but I'm now getting Mac/iOS style red badges reflecting unread tweets on Touitter's icon. This isn't the "Display Unread Count" thing on the notification icon in the status bar, but a thing on the app itself. Since I don't primarily use Twitter from my phone, I don't really want this unread count, but I can't figure out how to turn it off.

I'm thinking it's a RC1 thing because I wasn't seeing these badges on Toutieur's icon before.
I didn't see anyone answer this but it's an ADW feature. You can turn it off from Settings > ADWLauncher > System Preferences > Show Notifications. I like it and I'm thinking about buying ADWNotifier to have it on more apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Mask posted:

Edit: Another Evo Question:

I just snagged Handcent and everytime I receive a text message, I receive it both to my default Android Messages and Handcent. Is there a fix for this? Also, how do I get certain widgets to display on my Lock Screen?
Go into your default messaging app and turn off the notifications and you won't get it from both anymore. The only way to get widgets on your lockscreen would be with a replacement app like WidgetLocker.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Skeezy posted:

EDIT 2:

So now that I'm all rooted and stuff I want to know, is there a good non-sense rom that has everything working? I'm looking at Cyanogenmod 6.1 RC but I'm not sure if a 0004 EVO would work fine on it. I'm alright with losing 4G but if it involves the camera then it's no dice.
I don't think the camera works in CM on 0004 yet... once HTC releases the source for the 3.30 update it shouldn't take long to get fixed though.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

deong posted:

Am I thinking right, that anything on my NEW G2 :woop: will be listed under the HTC Desire Z on XDA?

Still waiting for the sim and I already want to pop cyanogenmod on there heh.
XDA actually has a section specifically for the G2 as well.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

yamdankee posted:

Android SDK wanted to do some updating, so I let it, now ADB commands aren't working. Should I just reinstall the SDK?
ADB was moved from the tools folder to platform-tools with the 2.3 SDK update

datajosh
May 3, 2002

wolrah posted:

Which recovery are you using? I've read a few reports that Clockwork has potential problems with CM7 and other Gingerbread ROMs, so I haven't bothered to test it out yet. Something about ext4.
Cyanogen mentioned that the ext4 warning doesn't apply to the EVO as it uses yaffs2, he primarily mentioned that for G2 users.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Ozmodiar posted:

I know you posted this like a week ago, but I haven't gotten to the thread in a while and this reminded me...

Is there any reason I need to update my EVO from 6.1.1 to 6.1.2? From what I can tell the only different is newer hardware support, but I wanted to confirm this before I completely forgot to ask.
Yeah, exactly the same except for the new hardware support AFAIK.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

So I got really lucky (in a way) and basically i have a Samsung Vibrant to use an iPod Touch (mine is about to die). I have it rooted, just curious if anyone has any ROMs they would recommend?
Bionix-V is what I used the couple of days I had a Vibrant. It's based on 2.2 but themed to look like Gingerbread and runs much better than stock.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Picked up the zip file, but it keeps failing to install it. Using ROM Manager, weird thing to me is that the recovery is 2.2.1.2, and i know my Evo has it on 3.something. Is it because its Samsung?
Probably, seems like all the Galaxy S phones are lagging behind on things like that compared to everyone else.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

peepsalot posted:

I've been running cyanogenmod 6.1.1 on my EVO and recently noticed that my clock was way off. Like up to 10 minutes off. I had the clock settings set to "Automatic" which I guess is supposed to sync up with the clocks on the CDMA towers or something, but it appears there's something going wrong with that.

I found an app called ClockSync, which can sync your clock up with NTP servers at specific intervals. I installed it earlier today and manually sync'd it, disabling Android's "automatic" clock setting, and about 8 hours later, it's already off by 26 seconds. I guess the internal clock is really innacurate in these phones? Or maybe just mine is a dud? Luckily the app lets you set an interval at which it syncs, so I'll probably just put it at every couple hours or so, but it kinda bugs me that this app is even necessary.

Has anyone else seen issues like this running Cyanogenmod on the EVO?
I've had an EVO since the beginning and I've never had this happen on stock, CM6 or CM7.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Skeezy posted:

Noticed this morning after flashing CM7 RC1 on my EVO that I'm having this issue with the dialer. It shows the old button style over the newer rotary style, anybody else having that happen?

Maybe I get lucky and tonights build will fix it.
Yeah, I got that too, they fixed it in build 39 or 40 though.

Sizzlechest posted:

How do I prevent it from happening?
Go to Settings > Privacy and uncheck "Back up my data".

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Ozmodiar posted:

Was it removed from the nightlies? I'm on the newest nightly, and I don't have that option.
I think so. I believe it was causing wake lock issues in some cases.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Scrubed posted:

What kernel should I ideally be using with CM7r4 on an evo?
The stock kernel is pretty good but I like SBC (trickle charge) so I go back and forth between Savaged-Zen and Tiamat.

Right now SZ 1.0.1 has some serious lag issues that need to be fixed and the devs seem to have a lot of trouble with their Buildbot setup, resulting in multiple SZ releases with the same version number because "the buildbot was somehow a few commits behind WHOOPS" so I've switched over to Tiamat again, possibly for good this time.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

brc64 posted:

Please explain trickle charge
Basically it keeps your phone at 100% instead of dropping to 90% then recharging to 100% again. There are some people that think it could damage your battery (and a few claim that it has damaged theirs) but there's no proof that it does and there are a lot of people running these types of kernels with no issues.

I wouldn't leave a no name battery from Hong Kong charging for 8 hours past 100% on one of these kernels, but stock batteries should be fine as they have hardware to protect against overcharging.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

godzirraRAWR posted:

I have a Sprint EVO and I'm running the latest Fresh ROM.

In the last couple of weeks, seemingly at random, I've been getting odd text messages related to the Sprint Voicemail app. It'll basically be a text notification that the app uses to get the info from. I assume.

How the hell do I get rid of them? Now I get a call, missed call notification, that stupid text, then an actual voicemail notification.

I keep wanting to move away from Fresh, but CM7 just annoys me, and I think I'm addicted to sense. I try the other Sense ROMS for the evo, and when I try to flash them, they never work due to some weird script thing.

Believe it or not, this nonsense (HAH PUN!) has made me consider getting a new phone, even tho I still love my EVO.

HALP
Are you running Fresh 3.5.0.1 or 4.0.0.4? If it's the latter, that's probably your problem as it's based on the leaked GB build and has some issues. If it's the former, I don't recall hearing about that issue on Froyo but if you're willing to go through the Fresh thread on XDA, there might be something about it there.

And the "weird script thing" you're getting is because ClockworkMod Recovery 3.x dropped support for Amend scripting, which a lot of people were using for their ROMs. You can still flash those ZIPs by flashing Amon-Ra instead (or using CWM 2.x if you really want to stick with ClockworkMod).

datajosh
May 3, 2002

nate fisher posted:

I watched some videos of the new sense (3.0?) last night and I was pretty impressed. So far I am super impressed with the new sense weather (the animation is crazy), new widgets, and the lockscreen is freaking amazing. Not sure if I am getting a Evo 3D yet for myself (my wife is getting one), but I hope XDA brings some of these cool features to other phones .
XDA is already working on it. The HTC Kingdom ROM that leaked the other day is being ported to the EVO and is supposed to be released this weekend. They have it booting and almost everything working but they're still working on resizing all the Sense files from 960x540 to 800x480.

Corez posted:

Has anyone had any issues with CM7 reporting damaged SD cards? I've been searching around XDA and the Cyanogenmod site and I can see that it is a known problem, but I can't seem to dig up any actual fixes besides rolling back to a previous version (I am currently on RC2).
You might want to upgrade to 7.0.2... this was an issue in one build but was fixed before 7.0 final.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What options do I have for actual working bluetooth with HID (like the wiimote) on the thunderbolt? There is the slim chance that they could fix it for the 2.3 update they undoubtedly will release, but I imagine they would fix whatever exploit that is used to root the phone currently. I'm a bit leery of screwing everything up with what there is now, or I'd already be rooted.
It's possible the only option will be to root and install CyanogenMod. I think CM7 is almost done for the Thunderbolt now and I don't expect that HTC will fix the Bluetooth stack anytime soon.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

ok, curiosity is getting to me and I want to try out Sense 3.0 on my Evo. What's the best ROM to do that with?
This seems to be the most popular right now. I haven't tried it yet but apparently it leaves you with 100mb or less of space for apps since the new version of Sense is huge but if you decide to keep it for a while you can partition your SD card with the method from this thread for more space. (I think that ends up moving your data partition to the SD card, none of the "devs" on XDA provide enough information on what their instructions actually do.)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Before I flash this it says that flashing the radio zip included in the ROM (could lose RSA keys). Not completely following that. I was just going to download the main zip, install with ROM Manager. Anything i am doing wrong here?
I didn't think it included a radio, I hate XDA... I would backup the Wimax partition first just to be safe. ClockworkMod and Amon-Ra both have that ability now. That way, if something does happen to your keys, it's an easy fix. (Flash proper radio, restore Wimax partition, done.)

There's also a slightly newer version of the ROM on the guy's site but there's no changelog yet, just posts from people claiming it's "faster and smoother".

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, so basically just do a backup and check the WiMax button like back in the day. I can do that.

Likely doing this tonight or tomorrow, although it depends on if I actually get the free time I anticipate having.
Pretty much. I don't expect anything will happen though because finally, on page 217 (at 40 posts per page) of the thread, I found out that the radio ZIP mentioned in the first post is extracted to your SD card when you install the ROM. So basically, don't flash that file. :downs:

Edit: Oh yeah, one other thing - if you have a Novatech screen you can't adjust the brightness, it was an issue in the leaked Gingerbread ROM as well. The Epson panels don't have any issues.

datajosh fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 22, 2011

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, so flashing to the Virus ROM with my Evo didn't go well. I suggest reading everything carefully instead of being retarded like me.

I followed the procedures right the first time, EXCEPT I messed up step 10. I flashed right to the ROM instead of "First flash the PRI and hit reboot let it flash the 1.77 Pri this will make sure your phone sleeps."

The result was my phone would never get past the Evo 4G white screen. I eventually flashed back to CM7 (at least I finally updated!).

I know what the 1.77 is, but what am I missing that is the PRI? I am assuming my SD Card is still partitioned, so I should be able to just flash in the right order to get this working? Can anyone clarify the process of which 3 files to flash, and in what order?
Yeah, you should be able to just flash now. From my understanding, you need to flash the 1.77 PRI first, then reboot, then flash the ROM. If you're using B1.1.2, that should be it. On earlier releases there was a GFX_FIX.zip that the ROM's install script would extract to your SD card and then you would need to flash that, but from what I read, it's not required on the latest one.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

To warn everyone, this is definitely more of an Alpha than Beta ROM feel. Everything is slow, it freezes, sometimes it can't get to the home screen. I think apps are downloading now that I did a reboot. Its really cool, and I'll probably use it for a week or two, but it is not extremely stable.
That's kinda what I expected... I think I'll stick with my CM7.1 nightlies for now :)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

brc64 posted:

Last night I tried once again to update to the latest stable CM7 (going from 7.0.2 ti 7.0.3.1) and once again the upgrade "lost" a bunch of my apps. What the hell is going on? So I just did a nandroid restore and I'm back to 7.0.2 again.

Do the 7.1 nightlies for the EVO have any major issues (I recall people complaining about MMS earlier)? At this point I'm thinking I may just have to do a titanium backup and a full wipe and hope it lets me restore my apps.
Not sure why your apps are disappearing but the 7.1 nightlies are pretty stable right now. MMS was fixed a while back and I've been running them for a couple of weeks now without any problems.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

TLG James posted:

Is there a good guide for Nexus S 4g users who want to root? I've never messed with Android before so I'm pretty interested.
Well it should be really easy with a Nexus phone, you can check out the forum on XDA for some threads on it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Alucard posted:

Is there a new baseband for the EVO of which I am unaware? I'm getting really lovely reception as of late on my 2.15.00.11.19 and I'm wondering if I need to flash a new radio.
There was a new radio released with the Gingerbread update, it's posted over in this XDA thread.

datajosh fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 14, 2011

datajosh
May 3, 2002

heat posted:

Why doesn't that guy post a goddamn MD5 sum? No way I'm flashing a radio without one.
No clue, but here's the MD5 from my copy that I successfully flashed on my EVO and my wife's:

B0540CF0A59ED72ADB3E43F8751750FD

Alucard posted:

And to add insult to injury, apparently that guy uses the amend scripting which was supposed to be phased out in android 1.5

I had to switch from clockwork recovery mod to amon ra to install anything. I do have a new functioning radio though. Thanks for the info!
I prefer Amon-Ra but there's no excuse for still using Amend at this point.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Megaspel posted:

I lost my HTC Desire a while ago, but I kept it backed up most of the time with clockwork mod. Soon I should be getting a Droid 2 Global. Is there anyway I can move most of my settings and apps and stuff onto the Droid 2? I'm thinking I could probably extract the stuff from the image files and do it all manually.

Also what is the best rom for Droid 2 Global? I don't think there's any Gingerbread stuff yet. Anyway I can set it to record 720p video?
I believe you should be able to use this guide to extract the backups. Not sure what you'll be able to recover though.

Pizza Club posted:

If I want to try the new version of Swype and I'm on Fresh 4.1.1 on an Evo, what do I have to do again? I know I had to do some fiddling around last time, but I don't remember what.

Swype was already installed. I don't know if it was part of Fresh 4.1.1 or was because I had the beta version installed before I flashed to the new Fresh. Anyway, I can't disable it like the install instructions say to do.
You need to remove /system/Swype.apk and /system/lib/libSwypeCore.so and then you should be good.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Krime posted:

EVO here...Was running Fresh 3.5 and flashed to 4.1.1.0 and in the 30 minutes I've been using it I've come to two gripes

Lost Toggle Widgets from notifications pulldown
Lost LED Blink on Handcent notifications

:(

I also flashed a new radio which they said you should only do if you were on 4+. Now my question is can I flash back to 3.5 and be OK?
I haven't noticed any LED issues but if you want the widgets back, install Widgetsoid from the market. It'll give you the option to put them in your notifications.

If you decide to flash back, you're fine with the new radio. It's still compatible with 2.2, you might have some issues with app data going backwards though.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Skeezy posted:

Just making sure here but am I safe to assume there is no root method yet for an EVO upgraded to the Gingerbread OTA?
No, nothing yet as far as I know.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

uapyro posted:

Quick question: with an Evo 4G running the latest update, is it currently unrootable? A friend wanted me to install the wireless tether software, but she says that she installed the last update when it popped up. I did look for the answer, and everything I could find pointed to not rooted.

Edit: I know that the 3D has the "Perma-temp" root, but this post was meant to say for the original Evo4G
Yeah, so far the latest update is unrootable.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

So I just had to get a new Evo 4G through TEP, and it seems there's no root for the newest firmware/software? (4.24.651.1)?
That would be correct... I'm a little surprised it's taking so long

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Krittick posted:

Is there any way to manually change your PRL with MIUI? I know you can use CDMA workshop but I'd love a method that can be done right on the phone. Wish ##775# worked on non-sense roms.

Edit: Evo 3D
The only methods I've seen for the EVOs involve either ##775# or CDMA Workshop.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Mistikman posted:

I am going to be picking up a sweet new Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch tomorrow, and am wondering what my options for custom ROMs are. I really kind of wanted to try CM7 or CM9 when it came out, but it looks like that isn't supported.

Anyone here with a rooted SGSIIE4GT using a good custom ROM? I never rooted on my Optimus S and it is all kind of intimidating. I want to make a decent choice on the ROM, Kernel and Modem.
I'm using stock rooted EL13 right now. It's a leaked update that has Carrier IQ removed completely straight from Samsung. CM7 is available in a beta version but a few things aren't working right now. (GPS, Bluetooth, external SD, haptic feedback and dialing 911 - most of that should be fixed soon though.)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Mistikman posted:

Ok, I have a question about ROMs vs Kernels vs Modems.

In the last couple days, EL13 leaked for the phone I just picked up. I figured out which ROM I want to use, but that ROM is still based on EK02.

If I update my kernel and modem to EL13, will this cause me to be unable to use a ROM based on EK02? How important is it to keep the 3 things on the same version?
You should be fine with that combination but the EL13 ROM does have a couple of nice things - it's free of CIQ and it seems to have fixed the soundpool bug that would cause some games to crash.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Swype has a new beta with a clever predictive engine in it that I'd like to try out, but beta.swype.com says: "If your phone came pre-installed with Swype DO NOT download this beta (it won't work)."

Can I use Titanium Backup to rip preinstalled Swype from my Tmo SGSII and get this?
Yeah but you'll have to use more than TB - you need to delete /system/app/Swype.apk as well as /system/lib/libSwypeCore.so (may also have a version # in the name) and then reboot. After that you should be able to install the beta.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

zenintrude posted:

I'm trying to unroot my EVO using this guide, but I keep getting an error when hboot attempts to flash the PC36IMG.zip:

code:
Main Version is older!
Update fail!
The info at the top of the screen looks like this:

code:
SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.93.0000
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.09.01
Jul 23 2010,16:41:47
Why is this failing?
The ZIP in the OP there is pretty old. If I remember correctly there's a newer one in more recent posts in the thread.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I get the feeling they made that sentiment a bit too early and are having one gently caress of a time getting ICS to run universally and have gone back to wrap up CM7 in the mean time.

Edit: Although, are nightlies even back up yet?
Nightlies were supposed to be down until CM9 unless something's changed. (Which is always possible.)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I know this is almost off topic but god I hate XDA. People there are doing a great job of making the few real developers for the Epic Touch want to stop. I wish there was a development community that more like here - pay :10bux: to get in, get banned when you do something stupid and get permabanned when you don't learn.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Stumpalitious posted:

Hey the Moment was a really really atrocious phone that I wish I never bought.

Anybody else here have an epic 4g touch? Trying to find the best ROM to currently run.
I'm using the latest ICS leak right now but I think I'm going back to CM9 when I get home. (Even though I bricked last time I flashed CM9 - whoops!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Civil posted:

Anyone with a Nook Color - is CM9 a "daily driver" yet, or should I stick with CM7.2 for now? Stability and functionality is a priority.
The latest nightlies with OpenGL finally feel like they can be used as a DD. I haven't spent a ton of time with it though because I'm selling my NC.