Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Synergy was really nice last time I used it. Also MIUI, if you can give up 4G and 3D viewing (you can take pictures, just not view them in 3D on the phone). MIUI is goddamned great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The 3D devs release one every week, it just takes a day or so to get all their 3D specific customizations back in.

My battery life has been ridiculous using the stock MIUI kernel. In a good way. I'm at 80% after 14 hours.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Stunt Rock posted:

Seriously why the gently caress would you add a loving uninstallable dice roller to your loving ROM? What the gently caress?
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but when I used Synergy, I pulled down the changes from SVN, added some ringtones and removed unwanted apps before zipping it up.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Paper Triangle posted:

Edit: Nevermind. I'm horrible at reading. Thanks for the link!

Okay, I followed the directions in that post exactly, and it more or less worked, but I'm now stuck on the LG logo. No idea what to do now.
Wipe everything - cache, data and dalvik.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yep. Also, you might want to grab the latest TeamWin Recovery, since it's much easier to use than the alternatives.

Touch interface!

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Why hello thar.

Everything important works, touch of lag, various minor things are broken and you know its not optimized. The hilarious part? HTC has managed to make ICS feel like Gingerbread all over again.

Good job HTC, good job.
I don't think HTC has released any official ICS updates, so I'm not sure how whatever hacked together ROM you are using is HTC's fault.

edit: Ah, saw your followup. Well hopefully it's still in development, but all that really matters is the various ICS drivers and kernel source. Once they are rounded up, ICS ROMs will start showing up everywhere.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Just installed a rooted stock ICS on my Xoom.

I wiped the whole system yesterday and went back to stock 3.2, and relocked the system in anticipation of the OTA update. Today I re-unlocked my system (wiping it again automatically), re-flashed CWM and installed the new stock ICS pre-rooted ROM.

Runs great, and things like the launcher and general UI perform much better now.

Downloads and links
XDA Thread

ICS ROM
MD5: 64678b077c374c077f4e04b52dd32400

Clockwork Recovery Thread on xda

Flashing instructions
The ICS zip file goes on your internal sdcard. The recovery image should be accessible from wherever your fastboot.exe lives. You will need adb and fastboot, both available by installing the Android SDK and downloading an additional package in the provided UI.

Process to install from non-rooted stock:
  • Reboot to bootloader - tap volume down key while at the Moto Dual Core logo until it says fastboot, or run adb reboot bootloader
  • Run fastboot oem unlock - follow prompts on screen. This will wipe data
  • Let it reboot, go back in to bootloader. Don't bother setting up wifi, accounts, etc.
  • Run fastboot flash recovery the-cwm-image-you-downloaded.img
  • Reboot, and while at the moto logo, press volume down until you see "Android Recovery"
  • Clear everything in recovery - cache, dalvik, data, everything.
  • Flash the ICS ROM through CWM.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

rotaryfun posted:

So with Google changing their stance on dealing with CDMA 4g phones, how does this affect GNex development?
Google didn't change their stance, they clarified the importance of carrier-signed radio apks, and how that effects building from AOSP source.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

lelandjs posted:

Well there's a bevy of apps in the market that can change DPI but the few that I tried just resulted in it falling back to the phone-optimized interface. Granted I didn't mess with it too long (I was expecting a call later that day and the phone part doesn't work yet on that rom).
It's almost certainly using the Tablet UI because of the DPI settings.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I just switched back to MIUI from Fresh on my 3D, and it's still just great. I recommend giving it a try.

edit: Make a nandroid backup, wipe everything, flash MIUI. If you don't like it you can restore your backup and be back to normal in minutes.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

It dropped this one my US/English rear end:

For future reference, in Windows, you can copy the contents of a message box with Control+C. It's a handy way to extract the exact error text for googling/translating.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Boner Wad posted:

Anyone have any issues with the Google Keyboard when you hit backspace l, the word you are near gets copied overt and over as you type or backspace?
Not a root related problem as far as I can tell. I had this problem before I set my Sprint HTC One to S-OFF, and I never actually rooted it either. Which phone and carrier?

edit: May be an HTC one specific issue then. Might be worth comparing other installed apps to see if there is some correlation, because holy gently caress that delete-duplicates-words problem is infuriating. I switched back to SwiftKey, but the Google Keyboard was pretty good too (barring this issue) and it would be nice to have the option.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The HTCDev 'official' unlock will wipe your data partition. With good backups that isn't too much of a problem, but if you decide to go that route, do it *right away*. Absolutely the first thing before you start using the phone. Then you'll have nothing to lose and it will be painless.

The S-OFF method is also extremely simple and does not cause any data wipe. I haven't rooted yet, but I did get S-OFF just to be sure, and will probably root and install the leaked stock 4.2.2 ROMS or a 4.2.2 OTA based ROM when I get back to the US.

S-OFF, as mentioned above, is a slightly lower-level unlock method, but they are both effectively the same thing for general rooting purposes.