Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I've rooted my phone and kept it stock - I just wanted the ability to run Titanium Backup now.

Verizon is pushing out an update for the Droid 2 that's supposed to fix a few things, I haven't gotten it yet on my phone. When I get it, is it safe to apply, or should I unroot first?

I know there was someone mentioning how running his phone the way I am (unrooted, stock firmware) and applying the 2.2 update made it difficult to use a custom ROM later, I just don't want to brick my phone just because I want a more responsive proximity sensor and better battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I may be getting a replacement phone from verizon and want to make sure everything (texts, call history, etc) gets transferred over.

Can I just do a full backup with Titanium Backup, root the new phone, install TB, and restore? Will that basically clone my old phone onto the new one?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Along the same subject of ShaneB's questions, here's a trip report on my attemp to clone my Droid2 to a replacement.

Backed up the old phone (apps+system data), and activated the new one. Grabbed TB from the market and restored everything to the replacement phone.

This appeared to work, until I started getting a notification of a" motorola services account error". Clicking the alert told me the account was associated with another phone and I should call customer service to reset it. Some googling pointed out that TB will cause that by restoring something it shouldn't and the solution is to restore apps+data and not the system data.

I wiped the phone and tried it again, this time with apps+data only. I wanted to restore the sms/call log too, so I restored a few things that seemed to be related to that, only to end up with the same issue. I'm guessing one of the things I restored from the system is what triggered the problem.

I bought the pro version this morning, I'll give it another shot tonight to see if I can figure it out. TB did a great job of restoring my apps, if I can figure out how to get my call history and sms data I'll be all set.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Casao posted:

At this point it's too late, but try SMS Backup+ from the market. It auto backs up your SMS, MMS and Call Logs to Gmail/GCal, and can restore them if you really need them on your phone instead of in the cloud.

It wasn't too late actually - the first phone they sent me had a messed up screen so they sent me another one. I ended up having to redo the entire thing.

I tried SMS Backup+ and it worked for restoring my text messages. It didn't back up my call history for whatever reason, but I managed to get that with Titanium Backup.

I think I've got most everything moved over from my old phone. I've got a few days to return it, so I'll make sure everything is current and then dump the backup files to an archive in case I forgot something and realize it a couple months down the road.

By selectively restoring stuff with Titanium Backup, I think I've avoided the problem I had before with the Motorola Account Services error. I am thinking now that it has something to do with restoring the email app because that is handled through Motorola some how evidently. I noticed that when I set up my (non Gmail) account on it.