Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Hey dudes, I've just rooted my Epic and I'm trying to back up the ROM with ROM Manager, and it is not working. When I reboot so it will apply update.zip, it tells me it "failed to verify whole-file signature" and just gives up. Anybody already deal with this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I can get into recovery. Here's how this went:

1) rooted phone
2) installed ROM Manager
3) in ROM Manager, clicked on "flash clockworkmod recovery"
3) clicked on "reboot into recovery"
4) phone reboots into stock recovery, tries to use update.zip, says it can't verify the signature, fails

toby
Dec 4, 2002

I'll mess with it some and poke around the internet, and report back if I figure it out. Thanks :)

toby
Dec 4, 2002

This is a rooted-people kind of question, I think: does anybody have wifi or bluetooth tethering working with any of the Galaxy S phones?

toby
Dec 4, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Guh...is there anyway to get wifi tethering with the Epic other than flashing a ROM?
Yeah, I'm not prepared to start dumping new ROMs on my new-rear end phone. One step at a time, I guess.

I don't know why, but the Epic is like the bastard unsupported child of the Galaxy S phones.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Everything I've read on ROMs for the Epic has been such a jumbled mess that I haven't even done anythign with it. Removed their dumb widgets and get some better ones, rooted it, installed a couple things (wireless tether, whatever) and that's it for now.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Scrubed posted:

Yeah man; I know how you feel.

That is actually what I should have written, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toby
Dec 4, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only other option really is the Epic anyway, and yeah it's a six of one, half dozen of the other between the two.

I have the Epic and I like it a lot, but! Because I have a magical knack for choosing a smartphone that will become the underdog choice, it isn't on Froyo yet and there isn't really anything in the way of custom ROMs for it.