Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
I need a smartphone to keep me in touch with all the mucho primo tangy-tang I'm perpetually slaying. Rooting my phone just opens up the door to slaying that nerd tangy-tang demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

The Modern Leper posted:

I guess this is a root question. I'm running Cyanogen 6 on my Droid, and I'm a little frustrated with the sound settings. With the stock, I can run through my volume, then vibrate-only, then silent. With Cyanogen, I can only have vibrate on Always, Never, only in Silent or only when not in Silent. There's no way to move from truly silent to just vibrate without diving into the "Settings" menu every time.

Anyone know a way around this problem?
The Power Control widget lets you do that, but no, the volume buttons don't work like that any more. I noticed the same thing coming from Sense on my Hero. When I hit the volume buttons all the way down, it would go to vibrate only, then silent and no vibrate. Now the volume control buttons only go down to Vibrate only, not completely silent. But I use the widget for that now, with the Sound modes option set to "Sound+Vib/Vib/Silent" which is what I want.

What version of CM6 are you running, because they changed those options a while back, but I don't know when. It's more clear now, I think.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Drevoak posted:

I am confused on what the best kernel and settings to use to get the best battery and performance. I know I should use setCPU, colin's batter tweak but I am generally lost on it.
Try this most recent Stable kernel here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=756774

Use either SetCPU or Collin's battery tweak, not both. I wouldn't run without SetCPU personally. For the main profile I use 245 min, 710 max, set to ondemand. I have a Screen Off profile enabled with 245 min/max, also ondemand.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

God Exists. posted:

245 min/max can cause trouble waking up your phone from sleep for calls, so a higher max is suggested.
I have noticed that, so I'll give that a shot, thanks. I noticed that if I set it on interactive instead of ondemand for sleep mode, it would be frustratingly slow to wake back up, and I'd miss calls.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Drevoak posted:

How can I tell if my Hero's top speed is 691 or 768? I thought you had to flash the kernel to see if it can reach 768 or not. Want to make sure before I do anything.
The kernel that comes with CM6 is locked to 691. You need the UncappedKernel to, whaddyaknow, uncap it. It's like overclocking your computer, you just try higher frequencies and see if it's stable. If it isn't stable, you'll get lockups, force closes, and reboots.

Just make a backup before flashing a kernel, although I've never had one of Decad3nce's stable kernels ever give me problems.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh...well, I didn't know that existed. I went to try it and...Titanium says I don't have root privileges...the gently caress?! Obviously I do, because I used it to restore all of my apps. I got a system update like a week ago...did that somehow negate my root? I was told they generally don't...

I still have the Superuser app, and when I load it it doesn't give me any errors saying I don't have rooted privileges...what gives?!
When you open Superuser, do you see Titanium Backup listed? If so, tap on it, then hit Forget in the popup. Titanium Backup should ask you for root privileges again next time you start it.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

dissss posted:

There are lots of speed improvements between the CM6.0 and 6.1RC though, it'd be worth a flash to see if it helps. Also you pretty much need compcache enabled, don't think it is by default.
As a Hero user who just flashed to CM6.1RC about a week ago, I agree with you about the Gallery 3D app. I find it just as usable now as the old 2D gallery or JustPictures. I'm a little impressed.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

chippy posted:

Is there any explanation of what the different CPU governers do? I'm trying to work out how to effectively set up SetCPU to squeeze a bit more of my battery without compromising performance, but I can't really see much in the way of a manual or guide anywhere. Also, I thought Android scaled the CPU frequency according to load anyway?
This is documentation from the dev's website: http://www.pokedev.com/setcpu/#7

It only covers 5 options, though, and one doesn't work. Looking on my phone, I also see "smartass" and "interactive" as options. I don't know what smartass is, and this is in fact the first time I noticed it. Interactive is similar to ondemand in that it will scale up the frequency as needed, but will do so in a more gradual way, I believe. I know that when I use it, my phone can be sluggish for a second or 3 if it's been idle for a while, depending on how low I set the min.

Anyway, this is the SetCPU thread at the xda forums. It's in the G1 subforum, but as far as I know, it's the official thread for that app.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

RexSS345 posted:

I simply cannot root my CDMA Hero on .7. I've tried every variation of the "unplug/debugging/plugin" process shown for SuperOneClick 1.5.5 here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

And it just hangs on "Waiting for device"

Universal Androot doesn't work on .7 so that's a no-go. I don't want to downgrade to .5/.6 because the dialer lag is atrocious.

Thoughts?
Downgrade, root, then try this? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=790889

One of the custom kernels could speed things up, too.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

God Exists. posted:

The entire bloatware premise is silly anyway and I don't know why people care so much about it,
feels good man.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Did you do the second and third commands?
code:
adb push recovery-ra-eris.img /sdcard
adb push flash_image /system/bin
Or did you just do the first and then skip to the fourth?

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

yamdankee posted:

I manually put the files on the sd card.
The third step pushes (moves) the file flash_image to the phone's internal storage. Look at it again, the path is different. You definitely need to run that command as it's written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

yamdankee posted:

Wow I feel dumb. But I can't even do that:

# mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# adb push flash_image /system/bin
adb: not found
# exit
exit
$ adb push flash_image /system/bin
adb: permission denied
$ exit
exit

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push flash_image /system/bin
failed to copy 'flash_image' to '/system/bin/flash_image': Permission denied

It just won't do the "adb push flash_image /system/bin" command. What am I doing wrong?
What if you just run the command "adb remount" ? That's all I ever do with my Hero and it gives me access to whatever I need. And then try pushing that file again.