Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Kreeblah posted:

Protip: the donate version lets you do batch restores without having to interact with it for each app.

Even if you don't use batch mode, being able to save every application's settings is a massive time saver, though a lot of apps are now supporting the ability to export settings to SD. Still, if you screw around with ROMs it's a necessity. God, I wish WM had something like this back when I was hacking on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Smeego posted:

So, I'd like to root my original Transformer in order to put a less quirky ROM on it. Should I wait for ICS to come out so I can get an ICS based ROM, or does it even matter?

You should be able to root now and once the ICS update comes out, use RootKeeper to maintain root access. What sort of problems are you having?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

blackflare posted:

I figured I would install cm9 on my touchpad to see how well it works, and the answer is really quite well. As nice as webos is, I really couldn't stand missing all the apps I wanted from android. I like all the customizing I can do with android as well.

I wholly agree. This is stellar.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

On the CM7 build my wifi would get itself to a state where it would disconnect about 10 minutes after boot and not connect to anything until I rebooted. The only fix was to wipe all the wifi configuration info.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

If they didn't have 5 versions of every product, they wouldn't be Samsung.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

My brother just texted me that he happily dished out $120 for a Sylvania 7" Windows CE Netbook and he's now **considering** taking it back cause it wasn't quite what he expected. I almost cried.

Where do you live where you can buy a Win CE device and actually take it back?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Stumpalitious posted:

Hey the Moment was a really really atrocious phone that I wish I never bought.

Anybody else here have an epic 4g touch? Trying to find the best ROM to currently run.

IME the best ROM is the official Sprint ROM with the shitware removed via Titanium Backup. The factory builds have all been pretty good to me.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Porkchop Express posted:

I was getting my computer set up to be able to root my HTC Amaze when it arrives, but I hit a snag almost immediately. When I tried to install the HTC drivers (Win XP), nothing at all happens. It opens, and for a split second there is a entry for it under the processes tab, and then it closes and never installs. Anyone else have this problem?

Don't get too excited unless nothing happens when you finally plug your phone in.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

LastInLine posted:

It seems to me the opposite is true. If you have a non-rooted phone and you acquire malware that can run an exploit to gain root privileges you'd never be aware but if you install the same thing on a rooted device you'd get a Superuser prompt when it tried to run restricted operations. Obviously though that would assume that you know what you're installing and running on your rooted device..

Not quite. Without superuser, the malware couldn't execute, full stop.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

LastInLine posted:

What exactly is preventing said hypothetical malware from including its own superuser that silently grants itself access? Obviously if root exploits exist then packaging the binary to do this would be trivial.

Gaining write access to system files isn't that easy. It's not XP.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Except there are tons of root exploits that people use to gain root access to their phones on purpose and malicious software could take advantage of these just the same.

*derp* beaten.

That's a pretty big exaggeration. Though I've only had three Android phones, they've all required ADB to root. There aren't "tons" of root exploits.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Drevoak posted:

I asked this earlier and got no response. I messed my Asus Transformer up a while back and was just able to fix it. I had installed a new version of CWM on it, flashed the regular rom on it. When I went to reroot it with the viper method it worked fine. However I reboot it into recovery and it appears to have somehow corrupted itself. It can boot up fine but going into recovery just gives the Android guy with the warning triangle. I've tried googling but I'm not sure what to search for.

There was a version of CWM that was making the rounds a while back which cause a recovery bootloop. The fix involved access to ADB or a terminal emulator, so I would suggest going back to stock and re-rooting it if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

The XBMC remote app is pretty good too.