Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

I've been randomly creating sound themes from Nintendo NSF files and using them on my phone. I was thinking about doing some more but I was curious as to a good application to allow me to easily switch sound packs. I've got quick profiles pro which would be perfect it wouldn't crash every time with the latest Cyanogen 6 (on my OG Droid.) Does anyone else have suggestions? If this becomes popular enough I'd also like to be able to find an easy medium to put these out too, whether to the community or to the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

yamdankee posted:

Got an interesting phone call today and wanted to get you guys opinion on it.

I run a small electronics repair business in Albany, NY. Most of my business is cell phone, laptop, gaming console repair, etc. I've been doing it for about 5 years now and I'm building a pretty good reputation. A certain group must have heard about me and called me this morning. From what he explained to me, it's basically a company that roots android phones for retailers to sell because of the obvious added features rooting brings. He seemed most interested in Android Wifi Tether.

He said they do hundreds of these a week, and that they used to outsource it but they are looking for local talent (me, I guess, haha) to do the grind work and just root phones like crazy all week. He even said if a few get bricked along the way, no harm done.

I was totally unaware that a market existed for selling rooted phones to retailers. Apparently they do this on a large scale.

Between here and XDA, I think I have a pretty good source of knowledge. Who knows, maybe after a while I might be able to contribute to the cause.

tl;dr: Opportunity to make money simply rooting phones in large volume. What do you guys think? What advice would you give me going forward with this company?

For example, one of the things I'm curious about is how people get activated when they are sold a rooted phone, or does rooting only interfere when they is a custom ROM installed?

Wasn't there some concern about the big cell companies eventually cracking down on data usage? I don't know whether or not Verizon can tell when I tether on my rooted Droid but I have a feeling that one of these days I'm going to see an extra charge on my bill or they're going to start slapping me we data usage restraints.

For you I would say go for it, for the company that wants you to do it, I would think that the big guys are going to start doing everything they can to nickel and dime people who tether with their phones, rooted or not.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

chomper posted:

I've finally decided to root my Motorola Droid running Froyo 2.2 (build FRG22D).
.... then I realized Universal Androot won't work with FRG22D, but does work with FRG01B.

What's the easiest way to roll back to this update so I can use Androot? Or is this not possible?

I don't think its possible without initially rooting your device. I went ahead and rooted using this walk through

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

Just follow step by step and you should be fine. Also side note the moto software was not happy with windows 7. I had to use it on my xp machine.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good profile or sound manager? Or does Cyanogen include something like this? I haven't seen it myself. I'm running an OG Droid with Cyanogen 6.02 #159. I was using Quick Profiles Pro but it stopped working as of release of Cyanogen 6 and from what I've read, the developer could care less about fixing this since its not "official." I'm tempted to raise hell cause I love the app and went as far as to pay for the pro.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

DoctorJones posted:

My HTC Hero wouldn't turn on when I woke up this morning. I have the insurance on my plan, so I'm taking it to the Sprint store after work to swap it for a new one. My only concern is my phone's rooted and has CM6 on it. Is there any way this is going to be a problem?

I went through this with my moto droid and verizon. I just did everything in my power to make sure it wouldn't turn on, especially when the tech had it in their hands.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

DoctorJones posted:

Did you keep your SD card?

Oh yeah, that was tucked safely away because it had my full system backup that I did a few days before the screen took a poo poo on me.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

I'm running Cyanogen 6.1.0 RC5 on my OG Droid and have been having some issues so I wanted to throw this out.

I'm thinking of going to Cyanogen 6.1.2 and wanted to know a few things. Whats the best way to back up my desktop and apps so that I can do a full wipe and put them back on, saves and all?

I was going to run Titanium backup for all user apps and then do a backup of ADWlauncher settings and desktop. Is there a better way?

Also with my OG droid I've been experiencing funny issues. I posted these issues on Cyanogen's site and they said that its because I don't have a lot of system memory. When I leave applications I'll sometimes come back to my desktop and all my icons will be gone and the launcher will have the place holder icons. If I give it 10 seconds, the icons all come back. It's kind of like adwlauncher has crashed. I've done my best to open up system memory and I usually run about 90mb free when I look in system. Is this a product of no memory, kernel choice, lovely setup?

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

Primworm posted:

You can use Titanium backup to backup all user apps and system data, this will save everything for you, including desktop state. I also have an OG droid and I sometimes run into a blank ADW screen, but only for a few seconds and maybe once a day if I let my phone turn off inside an app. I am overclocked at 1100 Mhz but still controlled by setCPU, so that helps, and while I have a slightly weaker battery, I have a great phone still. I hope this helped!

If I use titanium to backup user apps and system data and restore this when I update to 6.1.2, this won't booger poo poo up will it? I'm going to clean wipe from 6.1.0 RC5 to 6.1.2.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Rom Manager is a pain in the dick a lot of times and you're better off just sideloading the ROM and booting to recovery yourself.

I especially had problems with Rom Manager trashing my clockwork mod install.

I've never had any issues with Rom Manager and my OG Droid. I've used it to backup and restore when switching ROMS as well as Kernels. Up until recently the only issues I've had is the listing of some of the Kernels in their Pro Download section and them not being available.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

So I want to change the Cyanogen startup from its funny little circle thing to just a list of the starting services, much like Linux. Is there an animation I need to download and install or can I just remove the cyanogen boot animation and thats what it will do?

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

flyboi posted:

Negatory. There is a default boot animation built into android and it's really boring.

Well balls, that's no fun :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Are you encountering any issues? I'm thinking about flashing to this over the weekend.

I tossed this (http://www.peteralfonso.com/) on last night and have been using it. I came from CM7 nightly builds which were clean and fancy looking but I always had an issue with the launchers crashing when coming out of applications. I like that the launcher in this stock build doesn't require me to wait 5 seconds to see all my icons when I exit Baseball Super Stars 2011 or what ever.

There's nothing fancy about it, it just looks sleek and works well.

I did notice this morning that my GPS icon was blinking at the top of my notification bar. The Circle with the lines were there and the middle of it would blink with a solid circle. I did a simple CAPS + ALT + DEL and it went away. If I find any thing flaky I'll probably nandroid back to my CM7 build and find another launcher.

EDIT:

Rolling back to CM7. This build is way to flaky for my taste.

n0manarmy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 12, 2011