Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

I am Ron Pearlman's illigitimate love child.
I've been trying to read up on this so I'm sure, but I always seem to get conflicting information. I'm looking to buy a Hero off of Craigslist to use on Sprint.

Should I be able to somewhat painlessly run Universal Androot and then pick a ROM through ROM Manager?

I really just want to negate as best I can the apparent sluggishness of the phone and have 2.2 running on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

Ok, well, I'm a moron and decided to buy one off of Craigslist this afternoon. The ESN is clear, but the activation through the web didn't seem to take.

It appears that the phone has been rooted and modded, which the guy didn't indicate before hand even when I asked him and doesn't seem to know about now. (He has stayed in contact, so I feel like he's not scamming me. We'll see.)

Here's my question: Since I don't have a backup made at the time of rooting, what are my options?

Under settings->About Phone, the Firmware version is 1.5 and the build number is:
{UNOFFICIAL] MoDaCo ROM v1.3 by
Obelisk79@XDA, SSH password: _***** (<-Masked because I don't know if it matters)

If that is a custom ROM it's obviously been rooted, so could I put a custom ROM on the SD card, factory reset and choose to load the zip from the card? I don't think that would work if I'm going from 1.5 right to 2.2.

If I take it to a Sprint store, can they activate the phone on my account and put the factory Rom on there so I can then update from 1.5 to 2.1 and then root and ROM from there according to the process I asked about above?

Or should I cut my losses and wait for refurbs/just get a subsidized one/be a man and get an Evo?

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

dissss posted:

What recovery is installed? Turn the phone off and start it by pressing the Home and Power buttons.

Anyway I see why it should matter what ROM is running as far as activating it on the network goes - so long as its not stolen they should do it. Don't expect them to mess around putting it back to stock for you though.

When I boot into recovery, the Build listed is RA-heroc-v1.6.2

I figured they wouldn't have the ability to put the stock image back on it. I'm just not sure since it's 1.5 and since I have no idea how long ago it was rooted/flashed if I can drop the latest version of whatever Hero-compatible ROM is out onto the sd card and "Flash zip from sdcard" from recovery.

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

Thanks for the info guys. Makes me feel better about the purchase. I'll update the ROM tomorrow and try again to activate it online.

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

yamdankee posted:

For example, one of the things I'm curious about is how people get activated when they are sold a rooted phone, or does rooting only interfere when they is a custom ROM installed?

I'm working on this right now. I have Cyanogen running on the hero now and I have called sprint and have activated the phone on their end. They want me to run a Update Profile in the Settings->About Phone menu but I don't have any such option. I found a thread on XDA that seems to indicate this is just an option stripped from Cyanogen, so I am trying to get a different ROM on there. I'm having issues with that, but I'm slowly working through them I think. I tried a Sense ROM but it just keeps getting stuck at the HTC screen. I'm going back to Cyanogen to see if it's just that particular ROM.

I'm starting to ramble, but as far as Sprint goes, I don't think they care if the phone has been rooted, pre-owned or anything else. They have gone out of their way to help me get this working.

(As I was typing this, Cyanogen started booting up, so it was just an issue with that ROM I guess. If anyone has a link to a Hero compatible ROM that gives me the option to Refresh the user profile, I would certainly appreciate it. It would save me the time of stumbling around XDA like a moron.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

deong posted:

Use Fresh Hero 2.4.0 to update your PRL. Just make a nandroid image once you've gotten it installed. When you update the PRL, it will keep after you wipe and re-flash cm6 (or go to your cm6 nandroid). You can rename the nandroid folder, just keep it to alpha-numeric (no spaces).

While your at it, you can update your radio as well. Radios seem to be geographically independent as to how well they work. What works best in Colorado, might not be the best one in California for instance.

This worked like a charm. I'm currently getting the google apps installed on there. I assume it's just CM6 that doesn't include them as any other ROM I've had on there prompted me to set up a google account from the beginning.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out getting this working. I really appreciate it.