Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ShaneB posted:

Are there any Android 2.2 CDMA Hero ROMs that are anything close to the 2.1 Fresh ROM? I don't want some nerds wet dream of a customized ROM, I just want something close to a stock ROM that is 2.2. No offense to the heavily customized ROMs, but this is for my wife's phone and the closer to stock and more reliable the better.

You want Cyanogenmod 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Could someone please mirror the gapps-hdpi-20101025-signed.zip file? The official mirror is down/suspended.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Awesome, thanks.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

I Dont Like You posted:

I think I read the new Market breaks the Appbrain Fast Web Installer, just something to keep note of if you use it.

That broke on an earlier market update, prior to the "new" market.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I haven't followed the thread recently, but in case no one posted it happy days for new Evo owners are here, unrevoked works again.

http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/01/unrevoked-33-roots-htc-evo-with-latest-software-update-3706511-and-hboot-331-fixes-bugs.html

Edit: Running the latest Stable Cyanogen again, and when I try and download an app it says "sorry you don't have enough memory." Suggestions?

Edit 2: i think i fixed it my clearing cache

Cyanogen 6.1.2 is such old news.

EVO + Cyanogen + WiMAX is where it's at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=902051

Yes, there was already an Alpha, this is Alpha 2 and most of the annoying bugs, like having to turn the screen off to trigger the 4G connect or rebooting to reconnect to 4G, have been resolved.

Only hanging issues:
After turning off Wifi you have to manually toggle 3G back on
Google Goggles doesn't work because their custom kernel doesn't have IPv6 support (weird, but Google's help page confirms that a custom kernel without this will have this issue.)
If you disable 4G, you have to wait 1 minute before you can re-enable it, which is hardly an issue.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Rye Bread posted:

I'm actually having the same exact issue as Dkhelmet. How would I go about checking permissions?

Open and adb shell or a local connection in ConnectBot and run:

code:
ls -l /system/app/VMM.apk

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Nice. I just flashed it, pretty sure 4G is working. Just really really weird getting internet speeds with no icon up top!

Edit: I take it beyond the icon the only other "bug" just seems to be it takes a while to turn WiMax off and on? And the SwitchPro 4G widget doesn't seem to work. Oh well.

The widget is working fine for me.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Alright then I'll get on updating that now.

EDIT: Only thing left I'm worried about is ROM Manager/Clockwork Recovery. Is that stuff alright with the newer EVO's? Should I still be worried if the old root methods said not to use it?

You should be using Amon Ra recovery for everything. The reason they made a big deal over Amon 1.8+ is because that version started backing up the WiMAX partition where your RSA keys are stored. If you lose those, you lose 4G on any ROM. There's a procedure for checking for keys in the XDA CM 4G Alpha thread.

So, make a backup with Amon Ra, check the /sdcard/nandroid folder for the wimax.img, and then copy that whole backup to a computer for safe keeping.

EDIT: Clockwork apparently does back it up, but there have been issues with it screwing up the wimax partition, so people are recommending Amon instead.

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 18, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm running it on my Evo, and everything seems alright. My main problem is that google sync won't bring down my contacts. Anyone else having this problem? Kinda important...

Follow this guy if you want to keep up on the status of 4G on CM6/CM7:

http://twitter.com/shinzul

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, so I swapped out my Evo for one with a working headphone jack, which means on this one i actually care about my WiMax keys. I want to flash to the latest CM7 nightly. Last time I just downloaded and installed through ROM Manager. Should I do that this time, or will i lose the 4G keys?

There's the problem, last I checked you need Clockwork recovery for ROM Manager. I haven't checked in a while so that may have changed.

Flash Amon-Ra 2.X recovery and do a nandroid backup. Check for wimax.img in the backup folder, your keys will be there even though you can't really check for them since it's not a filesystem.

From XDA: "To check your RSA keys, go to the market and download 'Wimax Keys Checker' by joeykrim"

Do that before you backup, if you that works and you see wimax.img in your backup, you're good to go. My wimax.img in the nandroid backup is 12MB, I would imagine they would all be that size.

CM7 shouldn't touch the wimax partition since it doesn't have wimax support, but backing them up can't hurt.

On the WiMAX front, Shinzul has 4G start time down to 20 seconds from 60 seconds. Also he fixed the weird repeated message in logcat that both Sense and the CM6+4G Alpha had after you turn off 4G. So he has bested the Sense implementation of 4G. He also has it working on CM7, but no word how well it works, just that he did a speed test.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

4G works fine in Sense-based ROMs, like Fresh (what I'm currently using). It's really only an issue in AOSP-based ROMs, like CyanogenMod, and even then they've gotten it working pretty well now, but I think you have to install a special build and not just the regular releases.

Here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=902051

Alpha 3 hot off the press, connects in 15 seconds now. Flash the ROM then the kernel, and make sure the kernel flashes, you may need to disable signature checking in Amon Ra. Make sure you backup with Amon Ra 2.0+ or risk losing your WiMAX keys (you will never connect to 4G without this. Basically read the OP and check your keys.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
They may have fixed the 4G reconnect bug in CM7 for the Evo. That's really the only lingering problem I've seen on RC4.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Casao posted:

Yup, 7.0 is official late tonight/early tomorrow from what I've seen.

Evo 7.0 stable was posted in the last few minutes.

http://mirror.teamdouche.net/?device=supersonic

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Yep, that means CM7 should get even more solid. They should be able to fix the GPS issues for good now with no need for the GPSCLRX fix.

If people really want Sense, Fresh is doing the usual thing with this release.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Weird issue with CM7/Evo. After a few days of running, if I reboot my phone, it will come up to the bootloader menu, from there I can select fastboot and then I get the menu with the recovery option (I may have switched the names of the menus, they're they white screen menus).

Choosing reboot at any point from any menu or recovery sends me back to the bootloader. No amount of wiping or clearing things helps. All I can do is reflash CM7, and everything comes up just fine, exactly like it was.

Any ideas? It's more of a pain than anything, but a bit annoying since I can't quickly reboot. After I flash I can reboot just fine for a bit, so it's not like it's every single time I try to reboot.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

rivetz posted:

I have an Evo 4G running MikFroyo and I love it for the most part, but some touchscreen issues are driving me batty. There's a sensitivity point in the upper right-hand corner that intermittently triggers as if touched, leading to calls I didn't mean to make, widgets spawned that I didn't need, continual page refreshes (the spot is directly on top of Dolphin's refresh button :argh:). Toggling the display on and off typically resolves the issue, sometimes for good, sometimes for only a few moments.

Is this issue likely related to the phone or the ROM? Also I assume that if it is a hardware issue I am poo poo out of luck in terms of getting any kind of support on this from Sprint.

Flash back to a stock ROM to see if it's the ROM or phone, Sprint will be fine with it if you bring it in with a stock ROM installed.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Man, this would be pretty cool if you spent all that time building the WiMAX driver from scratch:

shinzul via twitter posted:

Zomg google merged our wimax code into the official android git...

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

Wait, what? Google is taking the built-from-scratch AOSP wimax driver and merging it into the official code? Is that what that says?

If you follow @shinzul, they think it's because of the Nexus 4G.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I assume they're talking about WiMAX integration into platform code.

Which doesn't surprise me, Samsung's WiMAX support is bolted on, and I imagine HTC's is as well. Something about the effort required to create/follow/use a properly abstracted API being fundamentally incompatible with shipping devices out the door quickly.

That's not something Google is a fan of, since you can't maintain a single code tree for may devices that way. And since CyanogenMod is one of the few (only?) code trees that actually targets many devices, even across manufacturers, they pretty much had to abstract WiMAX support properly.

But yes, awesome for them. I wonder if Google donates to them in some capacity.

HTC's is tied to Sense and closed source, so they had to start from scratch on AOSP. HTC did a pretty decent job with theirs, and really no one would ever notice the only real issue I ever had with it, and that's a weird logcat message that repeats every 1 second after you turn 4G off.

No system impact at all, just a repeated message.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

quadratic posted:

It's a free app that's not usable without a subscription, so I don't see an issue. Plus it's been posted here a few times already.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1076150

It's not like you can use it without paying. And yes, XDA and SA abide by the same piracy rules, what's ok there is ok here.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

I saw that on Facebook (and posted about it in the device thread,) and posted something on their wall. They responded in literally less than a minute. It's nice to see HTC is trying to fix their image with us nerds.

Maybe they realize that the normals all ask us what kind of phone to buy.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Evo3D rooting news, no root yet but the guys who brought 4G and HDMI to Cyanogenmod for the Evo 4G posted this:

quote:

#teamwin is at it again! We just found an bug in the #evo3d which should allow us to a rooting exploit! Stay tuned!!!

Don't take any OTA until further notice, you may patch this hole.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

This is the best news ever.

No joke. From the guys who did everything for the Evo 4G:

quote:

#evo3d rooted #teamwin twitpic.com/5j7a03

He's now working on S-OFF.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Now they just need to release that ASAP.

Don't install anything for at least a day after release to make sure it's safe. The first Evo 4G root had a pretty awful bug that screwed up 4G for a lot of people and was very difficult to fix.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Do you mean make a call without the Airave, stay on the call despite the error message, and it will eventually go through?

Edit: I tried making a call and after the initial message it said to call a number for my service provider and then ing up on me. I tried using the Sprint Zone page to update my profile which seemed to go through, but doesn't fix the problem. I just find it odd it works on an Airave.

Edit 2: after reading up on XDA I called Sprint to have them refresh my phone on the network and everything is good now.

You guys have balls of steel. After the EVO 4g rooting mess that messed up 4g, I'm waiting a week to run s-off on my 3D to make sure it doesn't ruin my phone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Anyone having issues with the 3D s-off yet?
4g still working? I have some titanium backups I want to restore but I'm not feeling too daring yet.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

I don't have 4G but everything else is working flawlessly, and I didn't have to call anyone, my phone auto updated it's profile and registered and all that poo poo automatically.

Reading through XDA, it looks like there's a possibility of it triggering an anti-fraud mechanism in Sprint's network. Nothing to do with the phone, you just call and ask for an HRL Refresh and it's back to working again.

EDIT: Happened to me, your first phone call will automatically call Sprint and they'll fix it for you.

Any links to a rooted version of the Evo 3D OTA? I don't really want to update the hboot unless I have to since I'm still on 1.30.

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 31, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

Has anyone dared to install any of the 3Ds custom ROMs?

None seem worth the trouble so far.

But this guy is back in action.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1065414

:stare:

How the gently caress does he read any of this?

Edit:

This is physically painful. Everything, and I mean everything, about this is awful. But then you realize in just that screenshot alone 3 people in 2 days have given this guy money.

THEY GAVE HIM MONEY FOR THIS :psyduck:

Post in that new 3D ROM thread and say how ugly it is. I'll relate that experience to throwing rocks at a beehive, except the bees are all incompetent morons.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
I tried renaming the thread after "[ROM]Bl00dyB3@$T-3d MOD v5.2 [THE BLOODY FINAL]" but I couldn't stand looking at it for even a minute. Ugh.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Update from HTC on unlocking bootloaders. Phones will continue to ship locked, but they will be unlockable with a web based tool. I think this is fair that way phones are protected out of the box, but a simple utility will provide access. The only hitch I see is that you have to register to get an unlock code and you acknowledge you may void your warranty.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/htc/update-on-bootloaders/10150305151453084

HTC shouldn't have to deal with your brick because you flashed a corrupt radio image or wiped your WiMAX RSA keys. As long as they still take care of your non-functional power button or any other physical defects if you unlock, that's fair to customers who want to unlock and HTC.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chunk posted:

So is it safe to root the Evo 3d at this point? I wanted to wait a bit to avoid anything like what happened with the Evo first time around.

Over a week now, haven't had an issue or read anything that would make me think twice about doing it again. You don't even have to wipe your phone to s-off and root.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

Also, are there any good sense-based roms? Every one posted on XDA seems to be hellbent on removing every bit of Sense on the thing while, since it's my first Android phone I actually kinda like it. I threw CM7 on my gf's Aria after reading about so much praise for the rom and thought it was quite ugly actually (as did she, so she promptly made me flash something else).

Or should I just stick to rooted stock when I take the plunge?

Comedy option:
[ROM]Bl00dyB3@$T-3d MOD v5.4[THE BLOODY FINAL]&SS3D REMIX.v2 now available[UPDATE]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1193494

Actual suggestion:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1194154

This doesn't have the OTA in it, but this is what I've been running. I read what was in the OTA and don't see any pressing reason for it. I don't have any real issues with Sense 3.0, I just wanted a few minor UI tweaks. Make sure you grab version 0.9 if this looks like your thing, he started messing with the theme in 1.0. If you never took the OTA, you can clear Dalvik and Cache and just flash this over the top of your current ROM without a full wipe.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
^^^^ You need to boot into the bootloader and check your HBOOT, not the version of the OS you're running.

GET ME OUT OF FYAD posted:

The OG Evo now has root on Gingerbread!

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary

A few other new devices are supported too, I believe.

Here's the list:

Revolutionary currently supports the following Android phones and HBOOT versions:

HTC Desire (bravo) 0.93.0001, 1.02.0001
HTC Desire CDMA (bravoc) 1.06.0000
HTC Wildfire (buzz) 1.01.0001
HTC Aria (liberty) 1.02.0000
HTC Incredible S (vivo) 1.09.0000 and 1.13.0000
HTC Droid Incredible 2 (vivow) 0.97.0000 (Gingerbread only!)
HTC Desire S (saga) 0.98.0000 and 0.98.0002
HTC View (express) 1.09.0000 and 1.13.0000
HTC Flyer (flyer) 1.10.0000, 1.11.0003
HTC Sensation (pyramid) 1.17.0006, .0008, .0011 and .0012, 1.18.0000
HTC Evo 3D (shooter) 1.30.0000 and 1.40.0000
HTC EVO 3D GSM (shooteru) 1.49.0007
HTC Thunderbolt (mecha) 1.04.0000, 1.05.0000
HTC EVO 4G (supersonic) 2.16.0001
HTC myTouch Slide 4G (doubleshot) 1.44.0007
Revolutionary will permanently unlock NAND write protection by default on the following phones:

HTC Sensation (pyramid)
HTC Evo 3D (shooter)
HTC EVO 3D GSM (shooteru)
HTC myTouch Slide 4G

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Drevoak posted:

I'm interested in flashing CM7.1 RC1 on my Evo Shift but I can hardly find any feedback on it. Xda and the CM forums are really dead when it comes to RC1 and nightlies discussion on the Evo Shift. Is there some other forum I am totally missing?

This thread on XDA looks more active than the CM forums. The Shift isn't a terribly popular phone so I wouldn't expect stellar support and that support is going to get smaller over time.

If you want great CM support, you need to have a really popular phone that's been unlocked or a Nexus phone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Just got an EVO 3D and i am trying to root it. Ran through the revolutionary io process and it says s off is achieved. But clockwork says root not found. Am I missing a step?

You need to grab a recovery PG86IMG.zip file and flash it from the bootloader. Just put it on the sdcard, pull battery, power on while holding vol down. It will find the file and ask if you want to flash a recovery, press vol up or whatever to flash it. Once that's done, you can flash a superuser.zip or a rooted ROM from recovery.

You can follow this starting after the S-off part:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192525

I'm using TWRP instead of Clockwork. No particular reason, just not a fan of Clockwork.

TWRP recovery available here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192077

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
EVO 3D running the latest rooted stock 2.xx whatever ROM. I added GPU acceleration and removed the debug icon in my build.prop and flashed the stock kernel that has CIQ removed.

Anyone know how to remove the GPS crosshairs and add the extra Quick Settings stuff? This is all I really want in a ROM and not all the other extras, icons, and theme stuff people add.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

Got a link for this? Sounds interesting.

The first "echo" will remove the debug icon from the taskbar, the second is for GPU acceleration of the UI. Get ADB ready and just run these in order.

cp /system/build.prop /sdcard/build.prop.bak
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p23 /system
echo "persist.adb.notify=0" >> /system/build.prop
echo "debug.sf.hw=1" >> /system/build.prop
mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk0p23 /system
reboot recovery

Now clear dalvik, although I'm not 100% you need to do this, then reboot.

To backout the changes:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p23 /system
cp /sdcard/build.prop.bak /system/build.prop
mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk0p23 /system
reboot recovery

Clear dalvik again if you want then reboot.

If you can't boot because you typed something wrong, just open ADB from recovery mount /system and do the backout thing above.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

So, still no decent ROMs for the 3D eh?

The stock ROM is fast and has very few issues, so the only thing left for the ROM "developers" is to theme it and remove the stock apps as well as pretending to remove Sense. CM7 and MIUI are really the only things that offer anything more than just crappy themes and they're not done yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

SLOSifl posted:

I mentioned Synergy before, and I'll bring it up again. It's got a ton of little tweaks here and there, but appears stock from a distance. It's very similar to Fresh ROM.

I've pretty much been waiting for Fresh but I'll take a look at Synergy. There is a Fresh in the works, but not ETA.