Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

Rooted my Evo 3d, flashed TWR and then superuser in TWR..installed rom manager, and that flashed CWM on there..I'm assuming that replaces TWR as the recovery? any issues with doing it that way?

I then made a backup in CWM of my current stock rom...

I'd like to use the newest OTA, if I get a stock rom that's updated, I'll still be s-off and all that right? can i restore apps/data with TB after I put the updated rom on there or will I no longer have anything that isn't on the sdcard?

Sorry, pretty new to rooting/android...

New rooted OTA ROM, the new HBOOT that would break S-OFF is removed. I grabbed the Odexed version (Shooter_2.08.651.2_odexed_rooted-signed.zip).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1223979

There will be a software update from HTC after this installs, two updated apps, one is similar to SPCS4G, it's safe to install these. Updates after that may not be so don't blindly accept updates.

I also installed the Radio & PRI Update, and the RPM. These are PG86IMG.zip files you need to flash from the bootloader. DO NOT install the hBoot 1.50.0000 image, that will break S-OFF, it's linked there just for completeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You may find that "spending money" is a threshold that many rude/obnoxious folks won't bother to cross, and find that paid users are generally more patient when asking for help.

Whatever, there's hardly a difference between the SA and XDA forums.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

MindlessHavok posted:

What the gently caress is this? How is it possible to look at that for an extended length of time? The ONLY redeeming part of that ROM is the dialer is halfway decent just because it's minimalistic but the tabs across the top ruin it. It's just ugly as hell all around.

I love that the guy that makes the "Well I don't really like the fonts :x" comment gets reamed. I could understand if he went off like I did (and I don't even think I was that far off base) but is constructive criticism not allowed there?

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
CM7 alpha for Sensation/3D likely this weekend

http://twitter.com/#!/kmobs

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I was partial to Fresh on my EVO 4G before going to CM7. I hope it supports the 3D soon.

Fresh has indicated a 3D version in the pipeline, but it's been a while and nothing yet.

I'm trying out Cleanrom now, it's a lot like what Fresh did. No terrible theme, minimal add-ons, and no experimental performance enhancements. Mostly removing extra crap and some nice add-ons.

The new animations run smooth and are actually a nice addition. Definitely recommended if you want stuff like the GPS crosshairs and debug icons removed but don't need any extra fonts or awful colors.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

I'm not sure who recommended Warm for EVO 3D but my god the screenshots are misleading. They make it seem like it has this normal flat theme that is just translucent, but instead it's one of those ugly overthemed pieces of poo poo like every other XDA piece of poo poo ROM.

:sigh: Back to CleanROM I guess.

I tried it as well, and I actually don't mind the theme.I did notice that Rosie was pretty heavily modified, but I always run LauncherPro, so I completely understand some hate if you run Rosie as your launcher. I only ever notice it in the notification pull-down and it's not bad, just very green.

It has a lot of Cyanogen-like UI options that allow clock removal and some Sense tweaks on the fly, which is great. All I've done for customization is Roboto, everything else is either decent or customizable from inside the ROM. Roboto is available directly from the Warm updater app.

Battery on Warm is decent, better than Clean ROM on idle. I pulled my phone off the charger over an hour ago and I'm still sitting at 97%, which is what it was when I disconnected from the charger.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

Almost 3 years for me, and 4 devices as well.

I'm selling my old EVO to a friend. I have Fresh EVO installed on it so that I can use the dial-codes from Sprint to set it up on their account. How do I go about fully-removing all of my information from the phone prior to giving it to my friend? I'm not sure what dial codes to use...

Just go into recovery and do a full wipe. Your phone number and other provisioning info will be overwritten when they activate with their own info.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Anyone happen to have a copy of CleanROM 2.6.1's .zip laying around? 2.7 is buggy as poo poo for me lately so I'd like to go back to the previous version since it was perfectly stable.

I've got 2.4 and 2.7, no 2.6.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Fresh ROM for the Evo 3D is coming:
http://geekfor.me/evo3d/3d23/fresh-evo-3d-403/

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So HTC makes me a bit angry. That said, if you have an Evo 3D or Sensation it's not so bad. The official unlock works "well enough". The fact that you have to "fastboot boot" recovery to flash kernels is silly, and I wish they'd fix that, but it's an inconvenience at worst.

The reason HTC makes me angry though is that this whole "we'll unlock our bootloaders, promise!" is turning out to be a very shallow commitment. They've officially unlocked precisely zero phones prior to the Sensation, some of which aren't very old. They've also failed to unlock any phone released in the US after the Evo 3D, including the Rhyme, Amaze, Hero S, and Evo Design 4G.

I suppose unlocking new phones "takes a while" or some bullshit, but it's exactly that. An unlock package should be posted on htcdev.com, along with GPL sources on day one. Frankly an unlock package shouldn't be needed at all, this should be taken care of with a "fastboot oem unlock". I was willing to give them a pass on the whole "you have to register on our website and download poo poo" as long as they kept on top of it, which they haven't.

They're doing it to higher-end phones that people get pissed off about if they're locked. They aren't unlocking other phones if they aren't publicly shamed into doing so. Not much of a mystery to it, people aren't badgering them about the Design 4G because anyone who knows about rooting/unlocking will buy the E3D.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ninmeister posted:

So I'm seriously considering using the official HTC unlock method on my EVO 3D. Whats a good rom at this point? Its sounding like CM7 is pretty crummy so far and seems to be somewhat abandoned. Suggestions?

Fresh is the stock ROM minus CarrierIQ and some very minor tweaks. Solid stuff, no themes or anything weird.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I don't think you're supposed to take it any lower than 300MHz or it will have problems waking up.

It may depend on CPU, but this has been my experience. I just lower the upper clock speed limit when the screen is off and I never really notice it.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The CM team is officially ending support for the Vibrant due to a bug that prevents 911 calls from being made on an AOSP based Vibrant.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/117962666888533781522/posts/RbFhz9YMNgp

While I don't disagree with the CM team on this you should do yourself a favor and read the thread. It's hilarious.

Priceless stuff

moron posted:

I understand the point of view, but I have NEVER dialed 911, and never will. That is not really my point though. Most people would like to have that sense of security, but for those of us that dont, dont make us pay for Samsung, Tmo and whoever else, being bitches about their code.

moron posted more posted:

I dont do stupid things. Maybe you should stop doing stupid things and you wouldnt have to depend so heavily on 911.

he just can't stop posting posted:

If they could be held liable I agree +Micah Madru . But Some of us dont need it or have other devices. I dont use my Vibrant but still like to have it on me with a decent running Rom in case something happens to my new phone. And personally I hate stock anything.

In a world where everyone has a cell phone it is unlikely that you will ever be anywhere where no one has one. I understand that this is an optimistic point of view, but hey, I like being optimistic.

Accidents on the freeway, or anywhere else are reported on average of 30 times each. (According to a statistic I just made up to push my point, although Im sure it is close to accurate). Being an incredibly observant and preventative driver aside, if you are in an accident, chances are your phone will be smashed anyway, or at least someone outside the accident will call long before you have the wherewithal to place the call and tell them where the hell you are in the first place.

I did not want this to be a debate about whether or not to have 911 or whether it is needed. I just personally do not need it and can see plenty of people who feel the way I do and would give up having that luxury on their phone in exchange for having CM7.

It was not that long ago that NO ONE had 911 on their cell phones, cause NO ONE had a cell phone.

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 12, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Ciabatta posted:

Thanks for the info! I had heard of people wanting to incorporate automatic GPS stuff with emergency calls, but I didn't know that had actually happened. I didn't think of network-side issues either.

On the network side there's nothing special about 911 on a per-phone basis. The network receives geolocation and relays it to law enforcement, the switch that terminates the call identifies it as 911 as well. The network determines where to send the call based on the tower location. In the event that maintenance is being done, carriers aren't supposed to flush 911 calls to take a piece of equipment offline like they can with other calls. This is not too common, and happens after 1AM since events that affect enough calls are FCC reportable.

The CM team has no way to test anything they do, like ExcessBLarg! said. There are ways to test 911 if you're a carrier, but as "some guy" you're wasting their time and tying up a 911 line that someone else may need and it's not going to go over well at all.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

trilljester posted:

Anybody successfully get cron to run on a rooted Android phone? I tried some Market app that was Cron4Phone or some garbage like that and it never worked. I imagine it was being killed by internal task manager to Android, because tasks never ran.

Not cron, but there's an alternative that works perfectly.

Get Tasker, install this plugin, set it to run at a specific time, and now you can run scripts/commands on a schedule.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Batch restore is loving awesome.

Auto-backup is also very nice. Not sure if that's free or pro, but still very nice.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

I have a fairly new Evo 3D which I did successfully root/S-OFF. It's running an older firmware (before they even added the screenshot feature) so I figure it's probably worth updating. I don't much feel like changing ROMs and setting stuff up from scratch again at the moment, so I'm fine sticking with the official stuff as long as I don't have to wipe.

Do I just need to find the latest rooted official update.zip on XDA and flash it from recovery? Simple as that?

You might clear your cache first, but it should be fine. There were radio updates so grab those if it doesn't include them.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

I want to update my stock rooted Evo 3D with the latest update, which seems to be here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1443592

But I'm really confused about what I actually need to download, how to flash it, and what order to do it in. It's been a while since I've dealt with stock updates...

You might also consider Fresh, which is stock rooted minus carrier crap. The carrier stuff is placed in a folder on your SD card during install if you want it.

http://geekfor.me/evo3d/3d23/fresh-evo-3d-410/

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

The latest version of Fresh added a dancing droid animation when you receive a call from someone that doesn't have an image set on your phone. This animation lags my phone so hard I can't even slide the lockscreen ring to the Answer Call button. It just freezes for a few seconds and the caller goes to voicemail. There is a patch you can install from the mod updater app that removes it, but doing so also clears any other mods you have installed.

What mods do you have installed that it disables? I was able to turn that off and add the ICS font just fine.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

It disables the "ultra fast rosie" or whatever mod that flattens the 3D effect when you swipe to different home screens. It's quite nice actually because you barely notice that it's 3D and it speeds up switching screens.

I don't use Rosie so I never even noticed.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

Are there any tools that can help me diagnose why my phone seems to like rebooting itself constantly? I'd like yo at least try to narrow it down to being a hardware issue or software issue, since the behavior began shortly after installing the rooted stock update and latest Evo 3D radio.

I'm leaning towards something with the radio update being hosed, since the reboots seem to happen more frequently when I'm somewhere with poor service.

Mine did it too, rolled back the radio and all is well again. I'm still on Hboot 1.4 with the revolutionary unlock so I haven't tried going fully stock on the newest update to see if that helps. I am still getting the better battery life this OTA was supposed to give and the radio didn't affect speed tests noticeably so I'm staying on the old one for now.

EDIT Grab the 0.97.10.0808 radio from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1193101

EDIT 2: Reading the end of that thread makes it seem like this is affecting others.

EDIT 3: After more reading, it seems that flashing just the radio without the RPM/SBL/PRI/RCDATA/TZ combo causes the reboots. Flashed and rebooted, data and voice working. Will report back tomorrow on the reboot situation.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21374142&postcount=131

Also, it looks like flashing these separately can be a very bad (brick) thing, so either do the all-in-one or nothing.

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 23, 2012

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

EDIT 3: After more reading, it seems that flashing just the radio without the RPM/SBL/PRI/RCDATA/TZ combo causes the reboots. Flashed and rebooted, data and voice working. Will report back tomorrow on the reboot situation.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21374142&postcount=131

Also, it looks like flashing these separately can be a very bad (brick) thing, so either do the all-in-one or nothing.

12 hours without a reboot. I can update again after 24 hours, but it never took more than an hour or so when I only flashed the radio firmware. If you're flashing the Evo 3D up to the 2.17 ROM, definitely flash this zip and not just the radio. This doesn't update hboot, only the radio bits you need for the new radio.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
I tried Koush's for a bit when it was free and brand new and it didn't work but it was alpha/test quality at that point. I already bought PDANet a while back and it's been rock solid on every phone without root.

godzirraRAWR posted:

I know you're talking about the Bionic here, but I have never been able to get android-wifi-tether to work in my Evo3d. I've gone back 3 versions, and made sure to select the HTC EVO 3D device in options, but I can never seem to connect.

Balls!

Try 3.1-beta11. Set device profile to EVO 3D, setup method Softap, enable encryption, check Wifi driver reload, and check Routing Fix. Leave everything else default. I'm on the latest update running Fresh, so pretty much stock.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Still running the CM9 nightlies on the Nexus S. I haven't had a reboot, FC or hard lock in weeks. It's really weird having nothing to complain about. Someone stop me before I try booting my old G2x. :v:

You want a used Moment instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That amount of detail isn't necessary. If they even ask, you can say "to test phone software" or something like that.

Also, aside from the technobable, why wouldn't it go over well? If you haven't noticed, Android phones are buggy pieces of poo poo. Some of the folks who contribute to CM are qualified software engineers, the more testing and bugs they can fix, the better off everyone is.

You should call your PSAP, schedule a 911 test call, then call at that time and if you want you can ask for your geolocation just to make sure your phone knows where you are when you call 911.