Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

LordOfThePants posted:

I've rooted my phone and kept it stock - I just wanted the ability to run Titanium Backup now.

Verizon is pushing out an update for the Droid 2 that's supposed to fix a few things, I haven't gotten it yet on my phone. When I get it, is it safe to apply, or should I unroot first?

I know there was someone mentioning how running his phone the way I am (unrooted, stock firmware) and applying the 2.2 update made it difficult to use a custom ROM later, I just don't want to brick my phone just because I want a more responsive proximity sensor and better battery life.

I had no problems with that update. Lost root, of course, but I was able to re-root, and everything works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

God Exists. posted:

No you haven't, that's nonsense.

I dunno about doubled, but by flashing an AOSP-alike (Fission) onto my D2, the battery life has improved. One of the icky parts in the stock ROM was "com.motorola.weather", which loved to turn on the GPS for fifteen minutes at a time while I'm in my office (big metal building). I could turn the GPS off manually, of course, but then I'd often forget to turn it back on and be confused by Google Maps not knowing where I was or how to get where I was going.

I now can usually get through two days between charges with 30% or more battery life (I'm a pretty light user), whereas previously I'd start getting "charge your drat phone" warnings by mid-morning on the second day.