Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

eightysixed posted:

I just bought a new Evo, and would like to root it for battery-efficiency purposed, but I'm afraid of bricking it :smith:

The old thread was called "I got 99 problems but a brick ain't one" for a reason. Pretty much the only way to brick your phone is to flash a corrupt radio. Relax and remember to check MD5 sums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
ROM Manager can perform nandroid backups, and if you pay $4 it can even automate them to run on a schedule.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
There's no problem activating a rooted phone or one with a custom ROM (so long as it has a clean ESN, i.e. was never reported lost or stolen). There's nothing illegal or shady about rooting, it just technically voids the manufacturer's warranty. With unrevoked working on so many phones and similar one click root options available for others it sounds like a pretty easy job.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Godzilla07 posted:

Anyone with the circular battery meter from here having troubles with the CM6.1 RC? It's only reporting in increments of 10 which is useless. Stock Android battery meter sucks so much and the default CM battery number is ugly.

I'm using a Slide for reference, but wondering if this is a common problem.

I bet something got changed in /system/framework/framework-res.apk (my money is on stat_sys_battery.xml). You'd have to decompile it to find out for sure.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

travisray2004 posted:

It's ugly as poo poo, the dialer doesn't tie in with the contacts like the sense dialer does, and you can't search by dialing out the contact's name as in sense .

Dialer One

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

No. 6 posted:

Maybe I'm doing this wrong. I rooted my HTC Legend specifically to block ads. When I try to run AdFree all I get is a black screen and then it goes back to the menu. I still see ads on site (SA for example).

Also, it may be coincidence but I am now having major issues with downloading items from the Market. When I click install, I have to attempt this at least 3 or 4 times as it keeps saying Download unsuccessful. This is when I'm on a WiFi network at home which is functioning perfectly.

Without AdFree running, there is almost no reason for me to be rooted so I'm thinking I should just go back to stock software.

Do you have an app called Superuser? I'm not familiar with the Legend but some root methods require you to install it manually, and it sounds like AdFree might be trying to make a superuser request and can't.

The Market thing is unrelated to rooting, a lot of people are having that problem. Go to Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All>Market and try clearing Market data and/or uninstalling Market updates (the latter worked for me).

Also unless you flashed a custom ROM you are still on stock software. Rooting just gives some apps permissions that by default are blocked.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

chippy posted:

What do you guys think of this?

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/8704-my-cyanogen-froyo-22-hybrid/page__gopid__84117#entry84117

It doesn't seem like what he's saying should work. I thought Rosie etc. required the Sense framework to function?

Who in their right mind would rather have Rosie than ADW or LP?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

MasterColin posted:

Got an evo today and unRevoked doesn't work on the new HBoot 2.02... Some say it may if you set teh security level to off but yeah. Not sure If I feel safe doing the Hboot 2.02 S-Off thing.. I'll just have to watch to see if it gets updated

Well that freaking sucks. I'm sure unrevoked is working on it, I would definitely wait a bit to see what they say about it.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Mask posted:

More Evo fun incoming.

So I don't have the latest Radios, PRI, NV, WiMax and found a combo download on XDA. Problem is the download requires an HBOOT configured to S-OFF. I am currently on HBOOT 0.79.0000 S-ON and can't figure out how to switch this over. Going to Myn's ROM but I ant to go in fully updated to really get a feel for it. Anyone got any ideas for me?

I'm a little wary of that combo file, several people in that thread have had big issues with it. Run unrevoked3 to set S-OFF forever (unrevoked forever has been rolled into the unrevoked tool so there is no need to use it separately), then flash a stock ROM and accept the OTA update(s), which will give you current versions of all the various radios, then flash whatever custom ROM you want. Or if you're already on stock, do the updates first and unrevoked second. There's no need to worry about the new hboot 2.02, it's not being pushed to existing phones.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Mask posted:

So if I am already rooted, I should still run Unrevoked3 to get the S-Off as there is no other easy way to do so? Also, is Fresh considered a Stock ROM or would I have to find something off XDA to flash over first?

Thanks for this.

Unrevoked is pretty easy, you just install some custom drivers (if you're on Windows) and hit some buttons in Hboot. It's the most painless way to unlock NAND that I'm aware of.

Even better than my previous post would be to run this RUU to go back to bone stock with all the updated radios and non volatile memory versions that no one can explain, then run unrevoked3, then flash whatever ROM you want. Back up your apps with Titanium first if you have data you don't want to lose.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Krakkles posted:

Ok, got it. Should I be worried, or is it fine without it?

This one doesn't have any radios so it's pretty much meaningless if you have a custom ROM and/or kernel. Even if you're running stock the only bug fix listed is a power cycle issue when some apps use the camera.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Casao posted:

You need to do more than root, you need to install a rom that supports wireless tethering.

I guess it depends on the device, because the stock EVO ROM supports wireless tethering (requires you to install the experimental build of wifi tether, but it works).

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

yamdankee posted:

Is there a way to root phones in an automated or at least semi-automated way? I've rooted about 12 different phones at this point. They are all very straight forward to root these days (SuperOneClick, UniversalAndroot, etc).

However, the task I have is to get the phones rooted and working with Android Wireless Tether. This is where the difficulty can sometimes come in. Some phones I can root and WT works right away because the phone has a kernel that can work with WT.

Other times, I have to find a reliable ROM that has a updated kernel for the phone, or just a kernel update by itself. There are many different ways to install custom recoveries. Many different ways to flash an updated ROM/kernel.

I know about AutoHotKeys (havn't really used it much yet, though). I know about ADB Tool, correct me if I'm wrong in thinking it's only for the Droid X, or at least not any device? I just really have not figured out a way to do what I need in a quick, automated way.

This is the list of things that need to be done automatically. I click one button and the following things happen:

- Root Device
- Install Wireless Tether apk

-I step in and test if it needs an updated kernel. If it doesn't, I'm done. If it does move forward down the line:

- Install Custom Recovery
- Flash Updated ROM/Kernel

Wireless Tether should work after those steps. The people who want these phones from me have a preference towards Wireless Tether over Barnacle. But if there is no alternative (No netfilter support on the device, etc) then they have to settle for Barnacle.

tl;dr: Automated rooting/tethering - possible with little to no programming skills?

I would suggest reading or searching the google code page for wifi tether, the dev posts there frequently and lots of issues get resolved: http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Also, AutoHotKey is freaking awesome and requires no programming skills. You can write scripts for what you want (click here, wait 8 seconds, send this series of keystrokes, click over there) or there is a tool that records what you want to do.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

helsabot posted:

I just deleted the version I downloaded from the market and installed the version from its website instead, and now it works fine. Not sure why that is, but I'm happy now

Yeah the stock EVO kernel only works with the experimental version. The dev sort of points this out in the description of the app on the market, but I imagine most of the population doesn't know if the EVO's kernel has netfilter enabled or not (I sure didn't).

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Skeezy posted:

So looking into this unrEVOked thing, it looks like I could probably do the root thing just fine. If it matters my hboot is 2.02 and my build number is 3.30.651.3 (this is the part that worried me, since my friend said that a EVO with the hardware version of 0004 and that build number won't be able to be rooted).

I mean he could be wrong, but I just want to know if that's an issue or not. If so I'll just run all the unrevoked stuff and install those drivers.

Yeah the hboot 2.02 is a problem. There is a somewhat complicated workaround on xda here

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Thornes posted:

With almost every rom I've ever used I noticed that it will be super awesomely fast at first and then over a few months it will become less and less stable. Probably even happens with stock but I haven't gone that route in a long time.

I'm currently running CM6 on my Droid 1 and the kernel/rom combo were the best thing ever at first and now it's so terribly unstable.

The best solution is probably to wipe and re-flash but I don't really understand why that should be the case. I tried fixing permissions but that didn't change much.

Anyone know what causes things like this? Or if there's something I can do to optimize my phone?

I disagree with this completely, I stopped messing around with ROMs for months; I'm still running Fresh 3.3.0.1 and it feels identical to the day I installed it.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Ashex posted:

I can't wait for CM7 to be released, I've been using stock Sense on my DZ since I got it and am starting to get annoyed with some of its quirks like screwing with album art and how it resets the default contact pic when it sync with facebook.

The only thing I will miss from Sense is the ability to select text in a non-retarded fashion (For anyone who has always had Sense, selecting text in the vanilla browser works like GMail - long press where you want start selecting, choose "select text" then tap again at the end of what you want to select, with one chance to get it right)

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

deong posted:

You need to try out CM7. I think it changed in 2.3.3, now when you press and hold in the browser it highlights the word you touched. When you let go, it gives you 2 sliders on either side to adjust. Touch the center-ish of the hilighted selection and it now copies. Bada bing, bada boom. Its been so long since I've used sense, I don't recall if it is any better/easier.

Freaking finally! I'm going to switch sometime soon, I went from CM6 to Fresh when my city got 4G (which I turned on maybe 12 times since I get no signal at work) and then I got lazy and never switched back. I haven't seen a lot of stuff about kernels, which were a weak point with CM in the past, is there one that sticks out?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Living Vicariously posted:

I just installed my first ROM (CM7), and I've installed the Google Apps pack and let Google restore all my apps. I now want to restore the app settings via Titanium, but NOT system data. How do I do this? Titanium Backup is confusing me a bit.

There isn't an option for restoring just data because it doesn't back them up separately. I don't know how many apps you have with data you care about, but you can probably get away with restoring just those apps one at a time (no idea if you would have to uninstall the Google restored version first, probably not)

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Penguissimo posted:

You can absolutely restore just data. Just do a batch restore of all user apps, untick the ones you don't want to restore, and it'll toss up a dialog asking whether you want to restore apps+data, just apps, or just data. The last option is the one he wants.

Ah ok I was looking for a separate batch option, I haven't actually run a batch restore in quite some time.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Solly posted:

Word of warning if you are using gingervillian and a2sd is not working. All you have to do is go into cyogen mod settings and change the install location to sd card. What you shouldn't do is format the sd card and reflash the rom because that would be a complete waste of time :(

Edit: oh why am I so retarded, I back up all my apps with titanium but of course they were all fresh installs so it over rode my back ups of actual data, bye bye to do list who knows what the gently caress im supposed to be doing now. Im going to try and restore the nandroid backup i made of defrost but i dont hold out a massive amount of hope on it working.

Of course a nandroid restore will work, why wouldn't it?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

travisray2004 posted:

Ok so I've tried everything and posted this on XDA but figured why not post this here just in case.

Yesterday my Incredible started randomly rebooting. At first I thought it was a simply boot loop, no big deal. Well when I tried getting into recovery, I couldn't; the phone would reboot right on the HTC splash screen (I could boot into HBOOT, but once I selected recovery it just kept rebooting). I tried downgrading/re-installing current radios, HBOOT versions, did complete system resets (radio,splash,recovery,system,etc.) and nothing worked. I went into the local vzw store and they ordered me a replacement that should be here tomorrow but I'm still kind of peeved that I have to deal with a refurb. Although refurb phone is better than no phone at all.

I'm hoping but highly doubt that I'll get a new battery cover with the replacement simply because when I hold my phone, it squeaks like a hamster wheel.

Would anyone happen to have any recommendations that I might have overlooked. I've also tried different recoveries, include CWM 3.0.0.x and 2.x.x.x. and Amon_Ra's

This exact thing happened with my first EVO, rebooted constantly for no apparent reason, and I reverted back to bone stock to be sure it wasn't a software issue. They looked at it for maybe 2 minutes at the Sprint store and then it rebooted before their eyes so they just swapped my battery and SD card into a refurb and I've been using it ever since with no problems.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

yamdankee posted:

I installed Rubix Focused 2.0 on my wife's Droid 2 yesterday and everything is working except for Swype. The blue line traces across the keyboard but when you lift your finger, the word doesn't come up and a blue box around the perimeter of the keyboard flashes. Swype says something about it not being compatible with the device.

When I installed Rubix you also have to flash Gjar.DXtoD2.zip or something because the ROM is made for droid x but works fine when you install that supplementary zip. I did flash it right after I flashed RubixFocused2.0.zip. What should I try next?

That used to happen to me occasionally (swype ignoring the input with a border flash), try changing the input method to a different keyboard and then back to swype.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

two_beer_bishes posted:

I've been running the latest version of Fresh on my Evo since January and I'm very happy with it, but I would like to try something different this week.

Are a lot of people using MIUI for the Evo? It is considered a stable rom?

CM7 RC3 was released yesterday, that's what I'm going to from Fresh.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
How long is it stuck at the HTC screen? Because when you flash a new ROM the dalvik cache has to be rebuilt and that takes a few minutes.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Yeah it looks like they merged a fix for the wifi bug that FogHelmut just mentioned.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

nate fisher posted:

Ok I had to flash back over to a Sense ROM to do the GPS fix and redo the EVO Streaming/PRL fix. I backed up CM7 as was and wiped everything. Flashed Warm 2.2 and did both fixes.

My question is this, when I restore back to CM7 do I wipe anything or not? I would assume I would wipe cache and davlix, but if I wipe data it would go back like I never done the fix. It is just weird to be jumping between ROMs without wiping data. Is this not an issue because you are restoring instead of flashing back to CM7?

Also is there any way to see your proxy information on a non-Sense ROM?

Wiping data doesn't even erase your current ROM, let alone the radio and related things like PRL. You don't have to wipe anything before doing a nandroid restore, because it's all erased when the image is rewritten anyway.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

nate fisher posted:

See this thread

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/280082-major-solution-fix-your-slow-3g-speeds-evo4g.html#post2297201

Before I did this I couldn't stream Sirius and Rhapsody only played what songs it felt like. This was something to do with Sprint screwing up a update for the EVO or something. Now all is good.

I'm have the feeling that messing with the proxy settings is what fixes the streaming issue, and the PRL stuff is just silly rain dancing. I mean, maybe updating PRL resets those proxy addresses, but the actual PRL itself has nothing to do with it.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I was having the painfully common GPS issue with CM7, so I did a nandroid backup, restored a backup of my previous ROM (Fresh), ran ##GPSCLRX#, and then restored the backup I took of CM7. GPS works now, but all my CM settings are back to defaults, I have no lockscreen, and my home button refuses to do anything, ever. :wtc:

Edit: wiping cache and dalvik and reinstalling CM7 over itself did absolutely nothing. What the gently caress is going on?

heat fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 4, 2011

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

feedmegin posted:

This is a bit like shutting down your phone and saying 'unless I turn my phone on it's bricked'. Bricking a device means killing it to the extent that it is permanently as useless as a brick to a normal person, which with a phone tends to mean wiping the bootloader somehow.

That or flashing a corrupt radio image. I'm guessing what happens when some doofus screws up the instructions in the youtube video that trained chimps could follow is they post a comment yelling at the guy who made the video for ruining their phone then take it to the phone store where some tech runs a RUU and blammo good as new.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Hey man I wasn't commenting on what does or does not constitute a brick, I was just throwing out the only way I know to brick an Android phone.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Is a locked bootloader different than "S-On"?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
The weak signal isn't the fault of CM7. Funny thing about Sense ROMs is that they don't display 1X connection, ever; it just lies to you and always says 3G.

My battery life is also worse on CM7 but a big part of that is because Juice Defender can't turn off the data connection in Gingerbread (they're working on it). I'm going to mess with some different kernels and finally set up SetCPU and see what that does.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
It fails with every app? How many have you tried?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Slopehead posted:

Good loving luck. I sat outside and smoked half a pack waiting for gps to lock on and finally turned it all off in disgust. I don't get it, CM6.1.1 would get an almost instant fix but cm7 is an assbutt about GPS. My battery life isn't really much improved over CM6 either. I'm half tempted to flash back because of this retardation. How the gently caress can you call it a final release without such a fundamental part of phone function being so boondoggled. Last time I checked the G2 wasn't such an archaic piece of poo poo that it couldn't be supported in this regard.

It's HTC's fault for having buggy GPS code, not cyanogen's. Run the ##GPSCLRX# command in a Sense ROM and it will almost certainly fix it.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Captain Charisma posted:

Wow, I wish I had known this when I was using Sense up until 2 weeks ago.

Do you have a nandroid backup of that ROM? If so, make a CM7 backup, restore the Sense backup, run GPS fix, then restore the CM7 backup. If you don't have a backup of a sense ROM, just flash any Sense ROM to run the command and then restore CM7. This works because the affected code is outside the ROM and isn't touched by nandroid.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

diegetic poster posted:

Since I installed CM7 on my Evo, I've been having a new voicemail notification pop up randomly, even though I don't have any messages. Does anyone know how to fix this? I poked around on the CM forums and their "solution" is to switch to Google Voice...

I had this happen and it was because I had a few voicemails from like 6 months ago that I never deleted. I restored a backup of the visual voicemail app to get rid of them.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I really like this option in Gingerbread that some people might miss because of where it is buried:

Settings > Applications > Development > Stop app via long-press

It makes a long-press of the back button kill the foreground application.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Casao posted:

Are you sure that's GB and not CM? Cause CM built that into, like, 5.0 I think, and MIUI had it before GB as well.

You're probably right, I just never noticed it before, and I wasn't aware CM added things to the menus outside CM Settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

WeaselWeaz posted:

You install the radio first, then the rom. Two separate files. It isn't really any more risky than rooting.

Well, a corrupt ROM image just forces you back into recovery to wipe and restore a nandroid or flash again, while a corrupt radio image can make your phone an expensive brick. Check your md5 sums!