Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I just tried to install CM6 via Rom Manager after wiping and for some reason the Market isn't working. It shows all my applications in the download status but nothing is happening. Let the phone sit for over 60 minutes (usually only takes 20 minutes for a full restore) and nothing.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I'm restoring back to my Saphire backup which I had made before installing CM6. I'm going to try wiping the Rom Manager download cache and redownloading it and seeing if that works.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor Butts posted:

Did they download but not install? Did they not even download?

If they didn't download then try toggling airplane mode on/off and see what happens. Or, clear market data instead.

Ended up clearing market data, which allowed me to sucessfully download Titanium. I then was able to restore my apps via Ti, cleared market data again, and then the market started working properly.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Is there any way on CM6 to not turn off the screen immediately when I make a phonecall? Before, when I'd make a call, the screen would stay on till I guess the prox sensor tripped when I put the phone next to my ear. With CM6, it turns off immediately when I dial.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

CM forums are claiming that this http://koush.tandtgaming.com/motorola/sholes/update-cm-6.1.0-RC0-Droid-signed.zip is the CM6RC1 file for the og droid. No cle why it says RC0

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

CM6.1RC2 is out for the OG Droid. I installed it directly over the 160 nightly and haven't had any troubles. Supposedly this was supposed to fix some of the market issues from RC1 that people were having.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I'm still having issues with updating the CM 6.1 RC packs on my OG Droid via Rom Manager. Each time I've tried, the google apps install fails despite it being downloaded and I have to resort to a manual "Install via Zip" method and make sure the 1025 hdpi is manually installed.

Other than that, CM6.1 RC3 is awesome on my OG Droid

Only wipe I did was when I first put on nightly 160. Then I installed RC1 > RC2 > RC3 without wipes.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I'm assuming that I shouldn't install the latest OTA update for the Droid X since I'm rooted?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

boz posted:

I was rooted and I just updated. You'll lose your root, but z4root will get it right back after you update

Got an update failed. Going to try to unroot, update, root

Edit: Failed again after unrooting.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 13, 2010

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

After multiple attempts at getting the OTA update on my X, I ended up having to flash the OTA update via sbf and then re-rooted via zRoot.

I'm thinking my issue was that instead of backing up before deleting bloatware, I just went hog wild and that prevented the update.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The update checks to make sure that you haven't dicked with your phone in ways that require root (like deleting the Blockbuster application). Did you sbf to 320 or 340? If you're on 320 there's another system-only sbf you need to go to 340.

Goddammit

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I'm wanting to purchase a tablet to complement my Droid X. Looking at the Nook, Viewsonic G-Tablet, eLocity A7

Nook: Basically the same specs as the DX/D2, has a large rooting following, cheapest out of the group, however 2+ week wait

G-Tablet: Large rooting following, can run CM6.1 and apparently CM7.0, largest screen, Tegra 2, most expensive at $380 locally.

eLocity A7: Already rooted, doesn't look like many 3rd party roms out, is Tegra powered, smallest community out of the 3, $300.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Posted here instead of the Android Device thread since rooting/3rd party roms is going to influence my decision.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 24, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Just got back from OfficeDepot with my new Viewsonic G-Tablet. Going to root the crap out of this thing once it gets done charging.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Ozmodiar posted:

Somehow I completely missed this thing even being announced...I look forward to hearing how you like it, because I might go pick one up if it turns out to be pretty solid.

First impressions are poor. Slow as hell and half of the screen was dead. Now that im running a 3rd party rom and was able to recalibrate he scren via a hack, this thing is pretty slick. Actually posting from the gtab right now.

In other news, mine was definetly previously used as its obvious someone tried to root it before and had some user data on it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Kazy posted:

They sold you a used Gtab as new? :psyduck: This is why I don't trust places like Office Depot anymore.

They warned me that it appeared open and it was the last one. I tried to get a discount but no luck. I have 14 days to exchange.

After using this, my DX seems tiny.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

From XDA, it sounds like officially Viewsonic will not put out Honeycomb for the Gtab however there will probably be unofficial support.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Is there anyway to manually set my location? For some reason half the market is not appearing (Miren, Dolphin Browser, pretty much most of the apps I have on my DX) on my G-Tablet and I think it's because it can't determine my location.

I have the location settings enabled for wifi, but no luck. Also tried Market Enabler, but no dice.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

MrBishi posted:

Give MoreLocale 2 a try, has worked for me a few times :)

Gave it a shot, no luck. It probably has something to do with the rom (VEGAN beta 5) I'm running. Going to try CM 7.0 Beta now. It's odd because other Gtab users seem to be fine. :confused:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Trip report for the Viewsonic G-Tablet (Gtab):

Tech Specs:

code:
Operating system 	Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Power 	3,650 mAh battery

CPU 	1GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 - Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU

Storage capacity 	16GB internal Flash memory (expandable up to 32GB via SD Card)

Memory 	512 MB

Display 	10.1" TFT-LCD multi touch capacitative screen with LED driver system and 1024x600 resolution

Input 	Multi-touch screen

Camera 	1.3 MP AF camera

Connectivity 	Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, mini-USB (Host), USB 2.0 (Slave)

Dimensions 	6.8 in (170 mm) (h)
10.5 in (270 mm) (w)
0.54 in (14 mm) (d)
Weight 	1.55 lb (700 g)
Stock

First off, in stock form it's a complete piece of poo poo. It uses a restrictively skinned flavor of Android called Tap'n'Talk which is basically the much more evil cousin of Moto Blur. It's incredibly slow, laggy, and basically unuseable. It was so bad that Staples actually pulled it off their shelves until Viewsonic could put out an OTA update to fix some of the major issues. Sad thing is, even with the OTA update, it's still a piece of poo poo.

I also encountered an issue (which seems to happen to the majority of the Gtabs, and the main reason for returns) with the touchscreen not being properly calibrated. In landscape mode, the upper 50% of the screen wouldn't register any input whatsoever. Besides the crappy OS, the input issues would have made this an immediate return and refund. This is an easily fixable issue involving copying a blank .ini file into the root directory, however the fact that 50% of the screen didn't work made turning on USB Storage on the Gtab quite the chore. However once fixed, it's great.

It's really hard to review the tablet in stock form as it's terribly hindered by it's stock software.

Size wise, it's a larger mofo. The 10" screen is great, however it has issues with viewing angles. If you're not looking straight on, you get weird colors, washing out, etc. When I switched from the OG Droid to the DX, the OG Droid seemed incredibly tiny and the DX mammoth. Now that I have the Gtab, the mammoth DX seems tiny and my OG Droid looks like a toy.

Haven't really been able to measure battery life. The documentation says you need to charge it for a full 4 hours before use. I started to play with it about 3 hours in and Android is reporting a full battery. Even with heavy use all day and all night, I'm still running 100%. They claim you should get about 10 hours worth of battery on a single charge.

Rooted and Customized

This is where the Gtab gets awesome and is seriously the only reason people should buy it. The 3rd party support for this thing is awesome.

You need to be comfortable with rooting before you take this endeavor as it's not as simple as "Download zRoot4, run ClockworkMod, done." However, since you're reading the Android Rooting thread, you've probably rooted your phone already and know the basic mechanics. The good news is, since there's such a following on XDA and the net in general, there are plenty of step by step guide on how to install Clockwork Mod, install your ROM, and get Flash and the Market working properly. Rooting and installing BB or CM on my OG Droid was less demanding than the Gtab, but I was able to do it pretty easily due to the amount of guides already on the net.

There are 5 ROM's you can throw on your Gtab.

quote:

TnT Lite

VEGAn-Tab

ZPad Clean

CyanogenMod 7 (Gingerbread) (CM 6.1 is an alternate)

Notion Ink Adam ROM Port

I'm using VEGAn-Tab which is based on Cyanogen Mod and considered the best ROMs out of the 5 currently avaiable. I did try CM7 but it's still in beta phase and it shows.

With the customized OS and recalibrated screen, this is an awesome tablet. Browsing the net is easy and for the most part it doesn't choke on flash heavy sites. There is no swype support yet, however typing on the onscreen keyboard is pretty easy due to the sheer size of it.

As I posted earlier, Viewsonic hasn't officially come out and said that this will support Honeycomb. It's been hard enough for them to push OTA updates to fix their buggy OS. However with the current 3rd party support, I wouldn't be surprised if there's unofficial Honeycomb support down the line.

Bottom line:

Do not buy this if you're not going to root it. You'll be very disappointed if you do and will probably return it. However, if you're willing to put in the extra few minutes to get a custom rom on and do a few minor hacks, this is a great tablet. I purchased mine for $375 from OfficeDepot ($398 out the door with tax) and that's still cheaper than some of the other offerings out there. Your local Sears should have them at $399. Amazon also sells them along with many of the online retailers.

All I wanted was something I could surf the web from my couch and do other Android things (stream video, play Angry Birds) and this more than meets my expectation (once rooted). While all those things I could do on my DX, it's nice to to do them on the 10" screen.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 26, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

CM7 Nighly is finally officially out for the Viewsonic G-Tablet. So far it's one of the better ROMs I've tried on it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Updated my Gtab from Nightly 37 to 38 and things seem to be a lot smoother and faster now.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Wifi was acting wonky with CM7 Final on my Gtablet. I chalk it up to installing it over the nightly and not wiping. Tried a wipe and reinstall and it seems to be better.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Just rooted my Thunderbolt using this guide over on XDA. Nerve wracking but successful.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I still say the Viewsonic G-Tablet is a better option than the Nook if you're planing on rooting. Especially since the used market got flooded and you can find them for the same price or cheaper than the Nook.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Tiki Powers posted:

Is there any chance that Cyanogen Mod would possible be available for the Droid 2?

Until someone figures out how to unlock the bootloader, nope.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Should I unroot my Thunderbolt before taking it into VZW for an exchange? Or do you think a simple factory wipe will do it?

Here's my issues causing me to go back to VZW

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

Good lord the Thunderbolt default software is rear end... anyone have any leads on a good step by step newbie-friendly guide for flashing it? I would really hate to brick my new phone out of inexperience, and I do not have money growing on trees like many phone goons seem to to buy a new one.

I followed the steps here. While it was scary at first, it's pretty easy copy/pasting. There's even a youtube video that covers the entire process. I've used it to root both my TB's now without issue. The hardest thing was getting the Android SDK (adb) installed on my PC. The rest is cake.

Once you get it rooted, install Clockworkmod and install from that. Makes it really easy.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

Did you lose any functionality, like GPS or Camera or anything? I mainly wanna root to wipe all this bloatware nonsense off it and then use ADW with Beautiful Widgets to pretty up my home screen. Wasn't planning on flashing a custom ROM, because frankly I have no problems with the standard Froyo, and I don't really know enough about Android to know all the ins and outs and what's different and all that.

Everything works, didn't lose any functionality.

It sounds like your goals are the same as mine. All I wanted to do was have root access for various apps (Titanium Backup, Wireless Tether, etc.) and to be able to uninstall all the crap VZW put on my phone. I'm still running the stock software, stock kernel, stock radio, stock everything.

I would only consider changing roms once CM7 gets a 90%+ working nightly out however I've found the stock software to be more than suitable for my needs.

Edit: I'm running Launcher Pro 2 and Beautiful widgets. I can't stand Sense.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 1, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Has anyone tried the new MR2 leaked radio for the Thunderbolt? Apparently it's "safer" than the MR1 that was bricking/rebooting the phones. Also reports of better signal, GPS, battery life, etc.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

DigitalMocking posted:

Is the Thunderbolt rootable/Rom flashable? The wife needs a new phone and to get off of her terrible provider, I'm thinking about giving her my Incredible (CM7) and getting a Thunderbolt for myself, but I don't think I could go back to all the verizon bloatware poo poo.

Yes and yes. There are quite a few ROMS and CM7 is in development for it.

Check out XDA's section here. I'm currently running a custom that simply removed all the bloatware.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

There's a new CM 7 RC1.1 candidate out for the Thunderbolt. Despite some wonky 4G issues, it's pretty slick.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

JayKay posted:

There's a new CM 7 RC1.1 candidate out for the Thunderbolt. Despite some wonky 4G issues, it's pretty slick.

Well that was a short experiment for me. I was having some serious issues with acquiring and keeping 4G. I'm now back to a stock debloat build.

For reference, I'm on MR2, stock kernel.

Edit: I might give das bamf a try next.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 1, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Same here, it won't hand off from wifi to 4G.

I just tried it again but this time I made sure in addition to the normal format data/cache/davlik, I also formatted "/system". Now CM7 seems to be working fine with good 4G signal.

:iiam:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Huh, I'm going to try another wipe & reflash. I have kept it just set to 3G because even without 4G I still like it more than a Sense build.

Someone on xda explained that the scripts for cm7 attempt to reload the /system folder during install. So if you're coming from a difrent rom, you should go into mounts and format the system directory.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

I was pretty sure I made sure to wipe /system the first time, but I wiped and flashed again, no dice. I can get 4G quick and easy if I switch wireless mode from CDMA/EVDO to CDMA + EVDO/LTE Auto. But if you shut off wifi, no 4G. Works fine with 3G though.

Ok I don't know what the deal is but 4g has crapped out on me again. 3g is working perfectly. Giving up on cm7 until they get this ironed out. Currently using Tesla Coil and I'm liking it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Right now I'm stuck between OMFGB and CM7 for the Thunderbolt. Both of them have the handoff/4G issues that can be alleviated with the toggling of 3G/4G in options. It's annoying but it's a working fix.

OMFGB had a slight edge over CM7 as it has less bugs, however I feel it's less professional. I could really do without "TEH HAX00RZ" as my boot up screen and other various 1337 stuff it has. CM7 also has more options for lockscreens, etc, and seems a bit more polished.

I just wish AOSP roms could handle the 3G/4G handoff. It's all I want :(

Edit: My solution for the 4G issue is to just keep the phone in 3G mode unless I need to surf and then switch it to 4G. This was done before switching to CM7/OMFGB anyways to preserve battery life.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 2, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

This thread pretty much sums up why XDA is a terrible place. Long story short, a Thunderbolt dev gets fed up with users and removes his rom and goes to another site. You then get a bunch of morons arguing over who's fault it is, the dev or the users.

[Q] Where did Gingeritis go?

The ball doesn't really get rolling till page 3-4. Eventually you get 2 morons in a slapfight.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 3, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

bbcisdabomb posted:

If XDA is so bad, where should I go for my Incredible 2? I've been haunting their forums for the past week seeing if the promised root has come out yet, but the community is pretty terrible.

XDA isn't terrible, it's the posters that are terrible. I see XDA more as a necessary evil.

Godzilla07 posted:

Just read first posts and you'll be good. Maybe read the last two pages of a thread to see if something is hosed or not if you're brave.

This is pretty much what I do. Read first few posts, then goto last page and read a page or 2 back to make sure there isn't a bunch of gamebreaking stuff in it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

There's a new CM7 release out for Thunderbolt that apparently fixes some of the 4G issues. Going to try it out shortly

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

The CM7 RC 1.2 release for Thunderbot seems to have fixed the 3G/4G handoff here. While the handoff is a little bit slower than the stock software, it seems to be working fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Had my first battery pull on my Thunderbolt with CM7 RC1.2. Went to go wake my phone up and nothing happened. I thought maybe my battery had died since I had left 4G on but when I tried plugging it in, nothing again, no charging light, nothing. Ended up pulling the battery and putting in back in. Phone booted up with 41% battery left.

Not quite sure what caused it and this is the first time it's happened. I'm using MR2 with the stock kernal.