Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

According to Twitter, the next ota update for the Thunderbolt will patch out the exploits that are used for rooting. So basically if you're thinking about rooting, do it now before the update gets pushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

So I hear they put CM7 on the Thunderbolt finally... anyone running it? How painless is it to swap from BAMF over to that? And is it really even worth it? I've heard some serious horror stories about early CM7 builds.

It's been out in RC form since mid June. The latest RC1.2 which helped fix handoff issues was released around 7/6

I've been running CM7 RC1.2 for awhile now and haven't had any issues with it besides the occasional hardlock which requires a battery pull that has happened only 2x in the past month or so and randomly.

Some people complain of low call volume and oddities with geolocation via celltower (i.e. Beautiful Widgets will show me in Alabama even though I'm in DC)

Edit: I did just switch from the stock CM7 (Slayher) kernel to Tiamat 1.0.3 and it's zipping along. Apparently this is also supposed to fix the low call volume issues.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 25, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

CM7 RC 1.3 just dropped for the Thunderbolt. It has a handful of fixes but the big one in my book is that they fixed the issue with signal strength being calculated.

Edit: http://goo-inside.me/cm/mecha/rc but it looks like it's getting hammered

JayKay fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 25, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

CM7 RC1.4 is out now for the Thunderbolt. Of course I can't find a changelog anywhere. From what I've read, it's 2.3.5 and fixes some mic and headset issues.

Edit: I'm using it right now. Nothing new to report.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 30, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

DigitalMocking posted:

Where did you download it from? I'm not seeing anything for the thunderbolt on cyanogenmod.com

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=392

The developer has abandoned XDA completely.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

nickhimself posted:

Are any thunderbolt owners running [ROM][TH3ORYROM] SHIFTAO5P V1.2X [AOSP/CM7] Eclipse B5 Kernel?

I've been using 1.6.1 cm7 with no issues but would give another rom a shot if it isn't going to cause a huge headache when I try to use basic features that just aren't working because the rom developer broke them by trying super hacks and replacing more letters with numbers.

I've been using the latest release of CM7 1.6.1 on my TB and I haven't had too many issues. The only 2 glaring things I can think of is that it seems my 3G reception has gone down the toilet and for some reason my battery has been draining faster than usual if I haven't rebooted my phone in 24 hours.

Also I can't be the only one, but the more letters in a ROM title that are replaced by numbers increases the chances I'm going to completely ignore said ROM.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

For anyone rocking a Thunderbolt, the latest OMFGB nightly (9-13) has been pretty good to me. It apparently has DRod's latest kernel installed as default and I'm getting pretty good 3G only battery life with it. Currently at 15 hours off charger and have around 58% battery left.

The only big knock against it is that I've had a few sleep of deaths requiring a battery pull and also the status bar widget to toggle 3G/4G is broken. Not that big of a deal as you can just go into Settings > Networks and select it there.

Edit: Their Rootzwik page can be found here

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

So then how do I flash back to stock on a Thunderbolt so I can cash in my warranty?

I used this back in May when I had to exchange my Thunderbolt.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/03/26/tutorial-how-to-un-root-the-htc-thunderbolt-and-return-it-to-stock/

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Giving DasBamf "Forever" 1.0.6 a try on my Thunderbolt. It's weird going back to Sense after being with AOSP (CM7/OMFGB) for so long but I'm liking it so far.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Have any of the more popular devs made any mention of what/if any of the new Verizon devices they'll be getting behind? It's pretty obvious that plenty will be working with the G'nex, but that still leaves the rezound/razr.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Between the Galaxy Nexus and the fact both the Razr and Rezound still have locked bootloaders I'm going to guess you're going to find very little support.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

So no ideas on a new ROM for my Thunderbolt? :smith:

I've been rocking CM7 with Imo's Lean Kernel and I've been very happy.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

Can you get Sense on that, or do you just use Beautiful Widgets or something like that? My problem is I don't want to dump money into getting all the utility apps to make it look nice and have the clock and crap, and all the free ones I've seen are garbage.

I'm using Launcher Pro Plus and Beautiful Widgets. I can't stand Sense and didn't realize how much I disliked it till after I owned the TB :v:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Experto Crede posted:

Am I the only one that thinks, some talented people aside, most of the "devs" on xda don't really know what they're doing?

Take the sensation ICS port. The one on xda is basically a mishmash of half working fixes tacked onto a mutant sdk/aosp base.

Then you see one member of the CM team has almost single handedly got a close to fully functional port running in two weeks.

And that's before you factor in the general loutishness of the posters on the site.

How else are people supposed to get their sweet, sweet donations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I wouldn't mind people calling themselves devs if it wasn't for the constant begging for donations. I can understand donating money to someone like Slayher who helped get the RIL issues figured out with CM7 on the Thunderbolt and was really big about porting CM7 to it. But someone like Magnus from XDA? No no no no

Edit: I can't remember if it was posted here but someone suggested that "devs" are people who actually port things, do coding, etc. People who take devs work, slap some fonts, apps, and themes together should be called "cookers" or something along those lines.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 30, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Are there any Wireless Tethering apps that work with the Galaxy Nexus? I've tried Wireless Tether and WiFi Tether with neither working.

With WiFi Tether, it seems to fail when initializing the WiFi interface. It's already been reported to the devs.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

flyboi posted:

Oh that guys roms were hilariously bad. I decided to peep his post history to see if he had gotten any better in 2 years and NOPE http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1248735

And no, no fix for the tethering on VZW GNexus as of yet. I got a myfi so not really playing with it. I gotta say this is the first build of Android I've used where I don't feel I need to gently caress with it.

It's apparently being worked on between Koush and these guys

Either way I hope they fix it soon, its the thing i miss the most from my TB.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

The latest release of Android Wifi Tether supposedly works with both the GSM and LTE Galaxy Nexus. There are some reports of reboots when disabling the hotspot but it's worked fine for me.

Edit: Here's the issue tracking thread.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I still say that rom title length and quality are closely related. Longer the title , crappier the rom.

Same formula goes for stupid names.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 16, 2012

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

JerleMinara posted:

AOKP has a pretty stupid name (Android Open Kang Project) but it actually has legitimate development and stuff going on and is being ported to a lot of devices, having new features added, etc.

There are exceptions to the naming rule and AOKP is one of them. At least they have the decency to abreviate.

Saliciouscrumb posted:

AOKP is super stable on my GN, not to mention awesome. At the very least try it out. It also works well with Francos kernel.

I keep flipping between Rootzboat and AOKP.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's dyslexic "gank" but yes, it's silly.

Haha, holy poo poo I never realized that.

deong posted:

I thought it was just the name of the worst offender back in the early days of CM...

I always thought it was this.

Gyshall posted:

I just bought a shiny new Galaxy Nexus to replace my not so shiny Droid X. I had CM7 running on the X, but I'm looking for recommendations on what to do with my Gnexus.

I'm going to follow this guide for rooting. If I need recovery, I guess it is just as easy as going to Market and installing Rom Manager + flashing Clockwork?

Are there roms worth using on this beast yet? CM9 nightlies?

I'm currently running Rootzboat v8.0 but I also liked AOKP when I had it installed. Both are pretty solid choices for the Gnex.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I recently tried updating my wife's Transformer to CM9. Apparently the latest version of CWM has issues with TF101 which results in a CWM bootloop. In order to fix it, I ADB pushed a modified CMW from XDA/Rootzwiki. However my previous backups from the defective version of CMW have since vanished.

Is there anyway to recover the previous backup? I've tried searching the tablet through eStrongs and no luck so far. I can find the current backup located in /SDCard/Clockwork but where would the old version be stored? I'm guessing that whatever this new version of CWM is possibly wiped the entire file system including my backups.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I'm currently backing up and getting ready to install the latest Gummy build for my G'Nex. I was using Rootzboat v8 with it's stock kernel and my battery life was pretty poor. With the extended battery I only got around 9 hours.

Using the previous release of Rootzboat and LeanKernel, I was able to push 18-20 hours on the extended.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I'm at 15 hours on the latest vanirbean build for my gnex and my extended battery is about dead. Over an hour of screen time and decent 4g signal the entire time.

From looking at better battery stats, I'm getting quite a few wake locks from GPS location services which was supposedly fixed in the latest release and goodies patch.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

give me thread posted:

Try the Franco kernel. I used it in conjunction with CM9 and actually got over 55 hours from my battery, although it dropped with heavier use.

Now I'm on bixie's JB v2 and the battery life seems pretty good compared to the previous version and even stock CM9. I'll try the Franco kernel at some point this week to see if it's better.

Franco did a JB version of it too:
http://minooch.com/franciscofranco/Galaxy%20Nexus/JB_test/Jelly%20Bean/

e: checked my screen shots, and it's actually 55 hrs.

When I was using CM9 nightlies, I used Franco and found it to be one of the best kernels out there.

On the JB front, I just switched today from Vanirbean 5 (popcorn kernel) to Droid Vicious V3 that comes with Franco's kernel built in. Last night in a low signal area, my extended battery VZW g'nex with Vanirbean was pretty much dead in under 8 hours with little screen use. I'm hoping the combo of DV and Franco will result in much better battery life.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

give me thread posted:

Ah, that really sucks! I hope they fix it soon. Eight hours is pretty weak, particularly compared to the awesomness of Franco's kernel with CM9. From looking at the xda-developers thread on Franco's kernel, he has been working hard to get it working properly with JB.

Things were going well for me originally....was at about 8 hours off charger when I hit 50% but then something happened and my battery pretty much crapped out. I dropped the final 50% in about 3 hours. When I threw it back on the charger, I was around 3% left @ 12 hours off charger. For reference, normal battery life for me on CM9 Franco was 16-18 hours with moderate use.

From looking at better battery stats, it looks like I was getting just barely enough signal to trigger account sync, but it kept dropping in and out which prevented sleep.

On the other hand, it could be the fact I might have a battery that's starting to crap out for some weird reason. I might try switching back to my standard battery and see if there's any changes.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Reverted back to CM9 on my G'Nex. While I like JB, the really poor battery life across all ROM and Kernels, and the random reboots can't cut it. Just going to wait till a non-port comes out.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

This is why I went back to CM9 RC1 with Franco's Kernel on my VZW G'nex with extended battery. About 60 minutes of screen time.

For reference, on the JB/Franco combo, I was barely breaking 10 hours before dying with similar use. Using CPU spy, on JB my phone was never entering deep sleep and. Checked Better Battery stats, I didn't see any apps causing it makes me think it was the kernel.

I loved JB but I'm going to wait till something other than a port comes out for my phone.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 4, 2012

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Is there anyway to disable the system update notification? I'm running a bootloader unlocked Droid Maxx and it keeps prompting me to install the new OTA.

I'm running a debloated stock ROM which will fail OTA due to debloat.

Edit: use titanium backup to freeze MotorolaOTA

JayKay fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Android Pay no longer working with systemless root.

I originally saw it posted on Reddit. The only thing that surprised me is that it took them this long to patch it.

Edit: It appears that the changes are server side so there's no way to get around it.